What: hill session later

why: tues

last hard: sunday running in heat

last easy: weds maybe

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

mava nice to see you back and the streak goes on!

hilly well done, great news!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning,

Yesterday's lyrics were The Verve and Bittersweet Symphony.  But I think quite a few of you knew that already.  Not so sure about today's.

What: 6M at lunch if it's not too hot for me (I'm a wimp about heat)
    Why: only time free for a run
    Last hard: yesterday ended up being a fast session
    Last rest: Thursday

Have a good day.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning

mava - never heard of gazastock, but enjoy anyway!
    remember the golden rule of festivals, only one pair of pants for the whole weekend (or have things moved on from my Glastonbury years??)

Another scorcher, ran into work (1 1/2 miles) from Waterloo this morning (6:15) and was already getting muggy. Clubnight later, I imagine it will be an easier session as a few of our posse will be doing the first Yateley 10k tomorrow night. I'm down to run July and August races only this year.

Have a great day

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

What: 6 miles including a lovely little diversion down a country lane
    Why: getting back into a routine
    Last hard: getting up
    Last rest: 16 Feb

Dustin - the great thing about gazastock is it is so close to home that we can nip home for shower/kip if we want to! 

Time to get on and do some work...

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    mava - thats cheating.
  • Hi All

JH: Superb effort given your recent woes, there were a few Dubian's at edinburgh. Funny none of them said it was hot!

What: 5 miles d & d on the faithful tready
    Why: Easing back
    Last Hard: Last nights club run when I somehow got swept up by the 6-30 min/mile group for a couple of miles, the last two miles were subsequently a death march
    Last Rest: Friday

Heaven knows why but I have entered the South Downs marathon for Saturday week, a gentle run I think not!

• Morning all,

What: 7 hilly miles

Why: building

Last Hard Sunday

Lyrics nope

Have a great day

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Morning all.

What:  Michelmores 5K this evening
    Why:  Amazingly, I have a title to defend!
    Last hard:  2 days
    Last rest:  1 day

This is an awkward, contrived, twisty city centre route with a large fun runner / charity entry - with enough serious runners for it to be a race at the front.  The organisers only have one vet category - 50+ - which is fairly good for me (aged 52).  Much to my surprise I was fastest old man last year, so I've got to try & repeat the trick this year.

My wining margin (off a modest 21:09) was 3 seconds, and I'm about 20 seconds slower than last year at present.  On the plus side, I now know the course & I know my rival from last year (so I know who to look out for!)  Just hope no quick old men have entered...

• 40 Mins: Your Ok I'm in Dubai and tired!
  • A'noon peeps.

What: 5M steady on a warm summers morning.

I'm glad I got my run in when it was relatively cool.

Seen a few runners out at lunch time and it is very warm today in Glasgow.

40mins: All the best tonight.

Lyrics: No

Have a good day peeps.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: the usual
    Why: usual reason
    Last hard: starting my diet
    Last rest: been sat here for 10 mins now
    Lyrics: not likely
  • Oh Gobi. image.

40 mins I hope you do better than my team did last week with your champs defence.

Lyrics: yes Wabo, having a platinum moment there. And yes yesterday to SGQ  - I used the same ones almost a year ago to the day. Even 'yes' to Gobi's rather sorrowful unused lyric yesterday. AND I knew Donald Where's Ye Troosers, thanks to being Of a Certain Age and listening to Children's Favourites - latterly known  as Junior Choice. I'm on a roll!

Track tonight. Sunny!
    Coaches, instructors and the like seem determined to kill me off at the moment. I dread to think what the Queen of Pain has in store for me on tomorrow affie.

Yesterday's torture merchant was my Pilates teacher. A whole hour and a quarter of her undivided attention, as there was no other booking. The smallness of the movements made no way reflected the amount of effort and concentration involved.

My two main 'naughties' are a small section of my left abs around the waistline area (tranverse) and weak shoulder rotators and serratus anterior on the right. It is such hard work getting the these muscles to fire, as others - stronger and more flexible - are determined to take over.

One exercise looks so simple but had an astonishing effect when I 'got' it. Sitting on a box arms by my sides, palms facing backwards, each entire hand in straps. Then pull the arms backwards - against resistance of course - but only about 15 inches/ 38 cms. Jodie nagged, prodded, corrected and encouraged. I sat up out of my hips - this involves really contracting transverse, pulling up through the pelvic floor and somehow growing an extra inch bewteen the hip bones and ribs. Basically the spine extends to its happy proper length for that position. But it hurts because we're just not used to sitting up straight.

Then I had to open across my collarbones. Ok, it sounds painful if not impossible. My shoulder blades have a tendency to wing (I look like a bloody chicken if I'm not careful) This pulls my back in, as the muscles tighten and shorten. But we got there. My upper back widened out and flattened. I looked in the mirror and laughed with astonishment. My upper body looked entirely different - I was a veritable triangle from shoulders to waist. Result! Waist looked tiny against strong, wide, straight shoulders.

COR!

Ain't half hard work though. I was a limp rag by the time I left. 

• sharkie - I'm sitting at my desk trying to work that last bit out...

It's very warm out there.  Did my 6M at lunch time.  It's OK, but it's not as easy as when it's cold.  That's why I never enter summer races - I know I will just be disappointed with my times.  Concentrate on maintaining (or even improving!) fitness and start thinking about entering things again in October.  Come to think of it, I've already entered the Cricklade Half on 4 October.

• Afternoo all,

RFJ:  Well done on the handicap and some great May stats.

Mava:  Doesn't that defeat the object of a festerval?

• What:  11m with 4m at LT
    • Why:  Trying to improve my LT, which doesn't seem much different from my general aerobic,which doesn't seem much different from my recovery...
    • Last Hard:  1/1
    • Last Rest:  15/5

Have a good one!

SGQ - Yes, I did the same!  Still mighty confused.
    Sharkie - Could you record & post a video?

More good news - I've got  a run in our Welsh Castles Team!  Not the Vet Team this year, but in our Open Team (which is a blend of fast & slower young runners along with not-quick-enough Vets).

• LOL DD - Eddy was  warm enough for me image

I want to get to club and run as my legs are recovering quite nicely today , but looks like work is gonna get in the way image.

• What: 3M warm up, 15*400m with 400m jog recoveries, 3M cool downWhy: schedule
    Last hard: todayLast rest: Yesterday
    Lyrics: Nope
  • Adrian - that sounds a tough schedule!

40 mins - hope you won the 50+! Neat you made the team - relays are fun.

Sharkie - omg!

AF - you have a way with wordsimage

What: Mowed the lawns, did some weeding then went for a 5k walk with husband.

Why:  No - not running training - but a beautiful crisp sunny day and it had to be done.

Good running everyone. 

• am 4.6 miles in 30 minutes

pm had a good track session 10 x 400 of 200 jog

fasteast was 60 slowest 62.

need food now

• Why don't I get the lyrics even if I now the song pretty well?

I'll stick to running:

What: 8M round Dinton Pastures
    Why: There's worse places to run
    Last Hard: Sunday, off road hills in the Chilterns
    Last rest: Yesterday...

Hope you get a correct / definite / rapidly recoverable diagnosis Gobi

• Tonight:

2 x 150, 2 x 120, 2 x 100. All out.
    I don't think it was quite meant to be all out but try telling that to those boys...

One or two casualties dropped along the way.

Not me. I even did the cool down lap. Couldn't tell how quick or otherwise I was tonight because I elected to start with the others, so was pretty much last on everything. That's alright though.

• sharkie, sounds like you've got a really good teacher there

40mins, have fun in the Welsh Castles relay. When is it ?

What: i) lunchtime: 4ml easy
    ii)  discus practice (second session with excellent discus coach)
    iii) 7ml inc trac session 12 x 400 @ 10k pace

Why: i) miles and heat acclimatisation
    ii)  I want to throw the discus properly and get 'reasonably OK' for my age group - first target - AW standard of 18m; first competition - tomorrow evening
    iii) coach thought I should only do a short session to make sure I'm properly recovered,

• Alehouse: Hi, yes I do have a confirmed entry for Abingdon, I think it was one of the very last ones as entries closed within 2 hours of my registration. All I have to do now is to get motivated for it and maybe even do some training. Regarding running in the North West, I have kept my eye out from time to time in order to see if there would be something that could be made to coincide with a visit that way. Favourites are at Garstang, where my parents now live. Mind you, my form has taken a bit of a dip since the autumn, coincident with increased beer and weight, and allied to a significant amount of home-work (DIY).

Sharkie: You look drop-dead gorgeous from here. I'm not going to mess with you because that posture is now extremely confident.

Running tonight: another glorious outing, if a little tired. To be honest I'm not surprised, as I've been awfully lax at getting the backside out of the door recently, so yesterday's 11 miles was somewhat in the legs today. Only 7 miles, but certainly 4 miles of those were on sand. Some of it muddy (stop, go back & try again), some of it firm, but lots of it fine and soft, making for a very challenging outing and not one for bothering to look at the pace being recorded. Swansea does have some glorious beaches, but tonights was a bit of a blend between industrial and wildlife reserve. Accept the beauty of solitude, the majesty of a distant steelworks and the evidence of 200 years of history. I was intrigued by the black sand bands. Certainly man made, and not coal dust, they felt glassy. I guess it was steel slag. (Great name for it!). All in all a lovely evening out.

Oh. Track sessions. I know that I need to do those again. Ought to do those again.

40 mins: we're waiting....

Evening all.

TMR - Welsh Castles is always the 2nd full weekend in June, so 13/14 this year.  I've got Stage 20, finishing in Cardiff Castle in front of the massed gathering of everyone else before the prizegiving.  Hope they don't mind waiting for me!

Michelmores 5K race report.

Hot sunny evening, get there rather late & wait for the start.  Delayed by about 10 mins for reasons I can't fathom from their PA system.

Horn goes & we're off - or not - field stutters & stops due to a handful of walkers who've chosen to start in row 3!

1K : 4:17  Feeling very dry, but a steady start towards 21min
    2K : 4:21  Harder than it should be, but time almost OK
    3K : 4:47  Bit of uphill through a park, getting passed a lot, not good
    4K : 4:49  Seriously rubbish
    5K : 4:16  Downhill helps

Finished with 22:29, over a minute slower than last year & 2 minutes slower than my Yeovilton 5K time last month.  In some ways this typifies my current form - sometimes it is there, other times clearly not!  This evening was the latter.

Club run tomorrow.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Good evening Blisters, and everyone else.

The Swansea area, and particularly the Gower Peninsula to the west, is one of my favourite areas of the UK. Brilliant beaches, and lots of deserted cliff paths: just don't tell anyone!
    If you are in Garstang then I'm sure there will be plenty of races in the Sale area...in fact the Sale 10 on the first Sunday in August would be the perfect benchmark for Abingdon.

What: steady run off road with 6 x 1 mins with 1.5 mins steady recovery. Not quite a track session, more towards a fartlek.
    Why: need for speed. Coped well, until hit last half mile of warm down on road, when shins were protesting. Well, at least they didn't protest when I was running.
    Last hard: May 27
    Last rest: Dec 24

TMR: enjoying the discus reports!

40 mins: obviously out celebrating (or drowning sorrows)

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    40 mins: cross post!!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.