IronMan Tattoo's

Comments

• Shore shins my biggest problem were the blisters and I have no idea why I got them having never had them before and it was shoes I had used in training.  It meant that I just couldn't run at all.  If I had been able to run/walk I would have made the cut off.   I do need to improve on the bike big time.  And the swim can always use a bit of work

Swim 1:38:44
    T1 6:53
    Bike 8:22:42
    T2 3:47
    Run 6:23 (and some odd seconds)

I did learn loads and will most definitely be back stronger

• think i have the record for pi55ing about in T1 13min and T2 21mins !!

your 20 mins faster than me on the swim - do more miles on the bike in prep and you'll nail it next time!!

• anyway regarding the Tattoos - have you got them?

having done IMUK 14:53:29 i have thought about getting one but - being nearly 40 and not having got any already - think i'll leave it.

though Roseys emblem is cool and i do think it gets respect from fellow triathletes - no one else really knows mdot IMO

now the clarets are in the premiership - id like the crest , so if that happens will get the mdot but .....im chicken

• Thanks SS  I know that really it is all about the bike whatever Lance and will be my main focus next year
  • incidentally Rio, i got a bad blister at germany and minced around moaning like a girl (its my default setting you see) however, if i were to get another, i would just stop and burst it, they really are perfectly ignorable if you burst them.
  • but it did win you the quote award for a number of closely related offerings:

i'm fucked

i'm totally fuccked

fuck, i'm fucking fucked

fucking hell, i'm fucking fucked

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    I cried when I saw your blister. I think it got an honourable mention in the "editorial coverage". image
  • lol, exactly

its why i call myself stoical simon, i'm just like a younger friendlier joe simpson you see.

• Thanks Oxy.   I didn't think about bursting them to be honest.  But it was the ones on the balls of my feet which were the most sore and probably would have eased if I had

Puts it on list of things to remember to do next time image

• SS I am nearly 40 and this is the only tattoo that the other half will let me have. I am ingnoring his suggestions of just where to have it image
  • I respect your opinion Haile.  And as I have said I will do one again so that I can prove to myself that I can do it inside the cut off.   However I will still wear both my tshirt and pendant with pride.
  • just out of interest - rio - how far from the cut off were you?

and also Haile are you an Ironman (time?), and do you have a tattoo?

• Rio, that's interesting looking at your splits that you were behind the intermediate swim and bike cut-off of 10 hours by a few mins and they were clearly not strict about letting you go out on the run - that was my really big fear, of not making that intermediate cut-off, and in the end, it was very close!

Having seen (and had burst all over my jeans) the blisters that the GUCR runners run on, I'm amazed at some people's ability to take the pain, not sure, but I suspect I'd go the crying like a girl route. image

• Sore Shins - I think Rio was about 45 mins behind?

Haile did The Longest Day before it went kaput, so IM distance but not branded. 

Gosh, I'm a little mine of forum info. Anything to avoid going and changing the extremely muddy flat tyre that's staring at me right now. lalalalala....

• get the hose pipe on it and change it tomoz - you deserve the rest 

• Sore shins I was 34 minutes over.  I had 3 hours at the half marathon mark which I would normally have made comfortably
  • 34 mins... bet youre gutted.

did you make the bike cut off in time - read the post above - not sure what to make of it

• I was about 10 minutes over I think.  I was truly amazed that they let me out on the run course as was quite expecting to be pulled off.  I cried buckets when they let me out of T2 because I was going to cross that finish line somehow - even if it took me 9hours (though of course I wouldn't have worn the finishers shirt even if I had been given one) and had to do it on my hands and knees.
  • Sore Shins wrote (see)

34 mins... bet youre gutted.

did you make the bike cut off in time - read the post above - not sure what to make of it

Not sure if you're asking for an explanation of my post lol, but Rio and I (and others) were always going to be near the cut off, and I was worried about being let out onto the run, and ended up hammering the end of the bike for fear of being stopped at transition, so I was interested that they weren't strict. And relieved, as for the sake of 12 minutes, I'd have been in the same situation. image

• if you ignore blisters they stop hurting.  it takes less than half a minute to blank them out.  only if you concentrate on them do they hurt like buggery!
  • Lol Candy, I had the most pain free end to a race ever during the JW ultra shortly after falling flat on my face at about 25 miles - think I was so surprised by the random face plant that for the last 5 miles my legs forgot they were knackered!

Not sure that a face plant is a recommended strategy, though it did seem to serve the double purpose of also amusing HH who was running with me image

• that's adrenaline ditchy - powerful stuff! i've had that experience out running when i've stumbld badly over tree roots and thought i was going to hit the deck - you feel great next few miles! wears off though!

it happened to liz yelling in bejing - fell over stormed the next ten miles and then the broken rib pain really kicked in!

i'm really glad to say i've never had bad blisters - must be horrid. will try to bear your advice in mind candy!

• think i might take a sherpa and a frightener to my next IM image
  • Sore Shins wrote (see)

anyway regarding the Tattoos - have you got them?

having done IMUK 14:53:29 i have thought about getting one but - being nearly 40 and not having got any already - think i'll leave it.

now the clarets are in the premiership - id like the crest , so if that happens will get the mdot but .....im chicken

SS - I'm 40......... didn't have any tattoos before but have got one now image and really like it.

As for your comment about the "clarets" in the prem image  ..... I am a Blades Fan image

• on one of the kamikaze downhills in vermont i was running with an american chap and we both lost the blisters on both heels within about 30 seconds of each other, in succession

it went

me - squeal - 10 steps of hobbling - carry on

him - squeal - hobble - carry on

me - "that's going to hurt tomorrow"

him - "i think my feet are bleeding"

our other friend - "i told y'all to change your shoes, dudes"

sadly we didn't have much adrenaline, just 30 miles to go so there was no point moaning about it.  it did hurt tomorrow, too.

• (although when exactly the same thing happened on a gucr training run with smithy and 10k, i started crying and caught the train home from the next town!)
  • SS - I am booked in for mine next Friday. will post pics afterwards