I'm thinking of doing it when I'm abroad...

Don't worry - I've not fractured anything and it's not a rant. This might even be my first ever "non clubhouse" thread! image

I just wondered if anybody had any advice about training while you're on your jollies? I'm off to Portugal in July for a fortnight and I've never really been one for doing much training whilst away, but Mr LB used to get up religiously at 6am when we were in St Tropez and he would plod for up to 17 miles because that's what his schedule would say. image

I've built in an extra two weeks into my training programme because I can't imagine I will want to do huge distances, but I would like to know if other people just stick to what the schedule says, amend it or simply get down to the bar and forget about it?

And what about safety? Would you bother wearing a Doberman alarm? It's all very well Mr LB plodding all over the Cote d'Azur, but I'm a girlie and I might feel a bit vulnerable....

Any advice greatly appreciated. Ta muchly.

Comments

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    What about a bit of cross training in the pool too?
  • Good plan Cinders! I usually do their aqua aerobics sessions when they're available, but they're no substitute for a plod - they just make me feel better about being a lazy cow...image
  • I genuinely always run on a more regular basis I& tend to plod every day when I am on holiday because I don't have the work/dog walking/normal life demands to contend with & it's also a great trade off for then just lounging around ,eating & drinking what you damn well like.

• Would you get up dead early then like Mr LB or go later? I'd really like to avoid the sun - and you've seen my colouring! image
  • Earlier the better!

Not too dissimilar from mine LB image

• LB - when I was away last year I didn't worry about doing any hard training - it was just too hot! Instead I just did 4-5 miles every other evening at a steady pace. I was in Gran Canaria and I'd go out about 7pm when there were loads of other people around (plus other runners) and I stuck to the touristy areas so I wasn't at all worried about safety.

Have a good holiday.

• Cheers Ferdy! We're thinking along similar lines....image

• LB - I'm on hols in a couple of weeks. The first week on my hols is the first week of marathon training, therefore i already started my training a couple of weeks in advance and  going to repeat week 1 and 2 while i'm away which are low mileage.

So it up early do my run and back before the other half wakes up. Hence it doesn't spoil her holiday and if i feel tried i can always have a kip during the day.

Oh back to your question - Earlier the better.

• Wot othes said - frequent, easy and early. I try and go out every day at the crack of dawn (when its lovely and cool and there are no crowds to get in the way) and go for a short run at easy pace.

I find its too hot to do anything like speedwork and too dificult finding a decent route to go for long runs (plus it cuts into family time).

• LB I've run in Cuba, Egypt, India, Qatar etc... never had any problems whatsoever...  Stick your lushous locks under a baseball cap and get on with it.  Enjoy. image
  • And yes to the earlier the better.  Sunrise runs are lovely. image  Funny how I can't do them here.  image
  • I know everyone else said early, but do you really want to get up early on holiday? (or is it just me who is lazy?!). I went to France last summer, and preferred to run in the evening before dinner. Yes it was hot, yes it was hard, but there was nothing better than getting straight in the pool to cool off afterwards....and then having a well earned cold beer!
  • Nam wrote (see)
    LB I've run in Cuba, Egypt, India, Qatar etc... never had any problems whatsoever...  Stick your lushous locks under a baseball cap and get on with it.  Enjoy. image

Trust you to say it how it is! image

I shall JFDI and think of you then! I'm not quite up to IM standard yet - can you tell?image

Thanks for all your tips guys - appreciate it.

• Honestly LB never been harrassed or anything, just loads of friendly hellos from local fishermen waving at you. image
  • Waving or drowning?

Having fallen in looking at your boobs?imageimage

• Stop worrying LB, and just do it. I go to Spain every year, and run in the mornings there. I love it - I get to see sights I wouldn't necessarily see with the kids, and I've never had any hassle at all despite there being lots of fishermen etc around at that time.

My long runs are probably a bit shorter when I'm away, but it's never done me any harm (touch wood)!

Now go and buy some nice summer running clothes. image
  • The last few times i've run whilst on my holibobs i've found a gym and just done some quick stuff on the treadie. I normally hate the quick sharp interval type thingies so it's a perfect opportunity.
  • Well if you're doing it, MT, I've GOT to do it!

You're much more of a wuss than I am......image

• crazydiamond wrote (see)
    I know everyone else said early, but do you really want to get up early on holiday? (or is it just me who is lazy?!). I went to France last summer, and preferred to run in the evening before dinner. Yes it was hot, yes it was hard, but there was nothing better than getting straight in the pool to cool off afterwards....and then having a well earned cold beer!

I'm definitely with crazy diamond - no getting up at the crack of dawn on holiday!

Oh, and I did get a few locals shouting things at me but as I couldn't understand them I just pretending it was things like "nice gait" image.

• I prefer to think of them saying "Wow - isn't she GAWJUSS"?? image

When what they are REALLY saying is "Jeez - doesn't her arse WOBBLE"????image

• I went running early evening time in Portugal.

Unfortunately, I went ar*e over t*t after tripping over a newly-laid cobble pavement and did myself some damage image There was blood and everything.

Kind of put me off running on holiday. Shame, just me being silly image

(It had been a very nice run up until that point, and I felt perfectly safe)

• Crikey - imagine me tipping up in a bikini with bloody knees AND a fresh post-op scar?

They'll think I've wandered in off the set of a horror movie...image

• I could say something to that, LB... But I won't.
    True that I'm a bit of a wuss, but I even ran when I was in the US last year, so I'm getting braver! And that mean you really have no excuse. image
  • In the US I look bloody thin though.....

You'd have laughed at the girls on Sunday. Youngest Miss LB (loud as you like as usual) shouts

"Post race massage? For a 10K??? It's only SIX MILES!!!!!"image

• I used to be the sort of runner that planned my run to be at least one hour after a suitable snack etc...... fairly cautious about what and when I ate. I ran on hols in heat after long lunches, cheeses, red wine, beer......... er you name it image

I think hols are for relaxed runs and enjoying running in a different environment and exploring

• I'm glad trainers are only light - because I pack for England when I go away! image

• I always run on holiday but alternate mornings & evenings, see the sun rise one day and set the next!  I tend to find holiday running easier than when I'm working probably cos I'm relaxed and actually get enough rest!

Will be running the trails around my house in Spain in two weeks yahoo! On the point of getting harrassed I know I'm a guy but I have run in India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Chile,  Brazil, Falklands, USA, Spain, Italy, Somalia!!, Panama, Qatar, Kuwait, Iran, Yemen, Saudi, South Africa, Tanzania, Kenya, Mozambique, Greece, Jordan, Egypt, UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Germany, Austria, France, Holland, Honduras, St Lucia, New Zealand, etc etc and have never had any hassle except in Brazil where some lads tried to nick my garmin as I ran by!  Wouldn't try some of those Middle eastern countries as a girl though!

• I'm late to this thread but I had 10 days in Portugal 3 weeks out from the London Marathon and stuck to my programme entirely. I like to run in the morning to work up an appetite for a big (but healthy)hotel breakfast, plus if you are a little tired and under the weather from the previous night it helps to clear the head. Only tip- buy some bananas from the local grocery store and keep in the hotel room for a pre-run snack...and take some gel packs.
  • Ooh good idea - I hadn't thought of that.. Thanks Oscarcat!