IMNZ 2010

Comments

• Cos I've not had coffee yet when I looked at the ttracker and read over 4hrs for the last bike split for both SP and PUP I thought - bliddy hell, the wind must really have got up!  Then realised that was for 56miles not 28!

• Ego was in pirate kit on the bike so probably him - unless SP put on the yellow and black for the run.

• If PUP has managed to maintain her nice steady pace for the final bike leg, she should be home within the next 20-30 mins.

No third run split yet for SP.  By my calculations he should be reaching the turnaround anytime now.

GO PIRATES!

•  Got to go out now image

• ego finished 12:59:05

pup finished 14:16:18

sp on last 6 miles

EGO just dipping under 13 hours,

• Well done Ego and PUP.

C'mon SP! imageimageimageimage

• c'mon SP, been on the last 6 miles for 2 hours
  • he has just finished

Well done all

SP finished in 15:25:23

• Yay, a complete set of Pirate Finishers! Good jawb kids! image
  • I can/t see the screen for tiredness but I can report I's an Ironman!

Report tomorrow image

• PUP you were great!  your smiling encouragment each time we saw each other on the course was greatly appreciated.   i look forward to seeing you and chris tomorrow.

SP kicked ass considering he was stuck training in a gym at his hotel in SA for too long and then was sick his entire race ... if he was an american he would have probably quit and blamed it on someone else.

• i just read the other threads where you were tracking us.

your interest and support is greatly appreciated.

of course I wore pirates kit with lots of pride.  (I was the fat white guy wearing a bright yellow shirt with a large skull and cross bones in the front)  I would like to point out that I did not wear my own company branded kit, instead I chose to wear the pirates kit (the only one in pirates kit on the course)

I had many many people on the side of the road cheering "come on pirate" .. and several british competitors also mentioned "pirates"

as for the comments on the wind ....

going out on the bike I felt so good ... i told myself i would break 11:30 .... then I turned at the 45 km and discovered 31km/h of wind was straight in our faces on the 45 km back ....

at one point, as I was riding dead into the wind on the 2nd lap of the bike up a long, never ending hill, not going much more than 13km per hour, I told myself I will never do another ironman again.
    of course now that its over, I want to do another one.

the run was good, except for 50% of it which was dead into the wind like the bike.
    SP is the stud of the week ... the guy was sick the entire race with some food poisoning, but still made it happen.

• Well done on your stunning performances all round and a huge (((((((PUP)))))) hug.

• Well done all of you, absolutely bloody brilliant and enjoyed following you all. image
  • Hooray for the pirates.

Well done all of you. You all beat my time by miles despite having a worse training season than me.   I hate you all image image

egoman wrote (see)
    at one point, as I was riding dead into the wind on the 2nd lap of the bike up a long, never ending hill, not going much more than 13km per hour, I told myself I will never do another ironman again.
    of course now that its over, I want to do another one.

I can sooo relate to that Ego image

Now you can all relax and enjoy your remaining time in a beautiful country ...........

.......... once you've done your race reports!

• slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    Fantastic effort everyone - really look forward to your race reports  - well done! image
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

Well done all of youimage

fantastic swimming Ego by the way!

• Well done guys.

Had the computer on in the kitchen this morning while having breakfast before I headed off to Clumber.

I'm sorry to say I missed Ego's finish. Popped outside to start packing my stuff for racing today, came in 3 minutes later & he'd finished. Sorry!!
  • Is this going to be showing on sky at all?
  • lol trogs image

I can confirm that ego is far from fat, although he is particularly tall (he said the same about me, funnily). 

I am waiting for the muse to strike before I do my report. 

And sorry for not pirating up - a poor show I know! 

• Morning NZ Ironmen all.  Hope you're not feeling too much the  worse for wear.

Saffers - if it does, it probably wont be for several months.  I think it was 4-6 weeks before they showed the coverage in NZ.

No apologies needed PUP, just make sure you've got some for the next one  image

• Oh boy - what a race! As Ego says, I was sick practically the entire race after picking up a stomach bug after the pasta party. I'll spare the details but whereas most will run from support station to support station, I was running - ahem - from porta-loo to portaloo! It was a day in hell!

Many thanks for all your support it is greatly appreciated, a full race report will be delivered when I return from NZ in two week's time.

Highlights of the day:

Ego's swim - must be the fastest Pirate swim ever!

PUP and EGO's first IM finish

My 100% IM finish strike rate... not to mention knocking 20 minutes of my previous swim time!

Low points:

That bloody wind

Power bar gels

The porta-loos

• Oh yeah - forgot to mention, I didn't bring pirate gear as my top is a tad too small and I decided that I am now entitled to a little comfort on the bike and run, so wore club kit. Sorry for not witholding piratey-ness!

(TL did have her Pirate top on in the stands though....)

• Well done SP.  Truly piratey to complete and Ironman while suffering from food poisoning so we'll forgive you not being correctly attired image

Enjoy the rest of your holiday image

• SP,I hope you're feeling better today as we have some beer drinking to do I think?

I am thrilled at your swim - when we went into the water, you were EXACTLY the same pale green as the lake. Excellent splashing effort and all the more impressive with what you had to battle in the tummy department! 

• i feel worse today than i did right after the race....

i will do a race report later, but as a couple people have mentioned my swim time, i will begin with this...

the most unpleasant memory for me of my IM will be the swim.... my swim time was ok, but the memory of the swim is absolute hell.

I bought my first wet suit on wednesday and did two short swims in it .... (I never swam in a wet suit before and found it much easier)  

the morning of the swim, i felt so good in the water that I figured I could go 50- 53 mins so I got near the front....(I am an ex-swimmer so being near the front made sense)

the cannon went off..... and I sprinted like madness for the first 300 meters to try and get position so I could get into a rythm.

within 2 minutes or so, I completely died and I had several people swim over me (no one pulled my foot), but instead swam entirely over me)

I have never experienced having someone swim over me like I was some joker...in america we would say I got "bitch slapped" several times.

I was absolutely dead around the 400 meter mark of the swim yesterday, and regreted terribly my hubris; trying to be top 20 on the swim.

after 20 minutes or so, I got into the groove and enjoyed the glide my wet suit gave me when around the mid way mark another batch of swimmers swam over me....I got kicked in the face and it was one big battle just to stay above the water.

at the half  way point I got back into my groove and tried to drag as much as possible off the guy just in front of me -- the swim seemed like it lasted forever.

when i got out of the water, I was dead dead tired ... and then we had to run what seemed like a 1/4 mile up stairs....

because I am an ex-swimmer, I took the swim forgranted and i need to ensure i am in better swimming shape for the next IM....if anything just to not get run over like some joker.

• That sounds absolutely blinking petrifying to me........I would have drowned!  How on earth do you recover and get back into the swim once you have been swum over like that?  You did amazingly.image
  • Great work guys !!

SP - youre getting faster !