Bewl 15

2»

Comments

• First of all, I would like to extend my thanks to all those who gave up their time this morning, and in advance, to make the race possible, and like Old Grunter and Si J, I thought the lemon cake was extremely good.   It was also good to do a 15 mile race rather than 14.2, and I thought the extra bit added to the race with some superb views over the lake.

On the down side, I did not get any water at the third drink station, and struggled to find any at the finish.   The lady was doing her utmost to fill cups when I got to mile 11, but I was not helped by some fellow runners who used the cups to refill bottles, and I struggled on with what I was carrying to the 4th station not knowing whether I would get a drink there either.   Fortunately, they had plenty, so memo to the organisers... 5 miles in that heat is a long way without a drink, and maybe in future anticipate 1.5 bottles per person for precisely that reason.

On the whole, I enjoyed myself, but I also need to learn to avoid longer races on hot, sunny days; I seem to have attracted them this year: Thanet 20, FLM, Halstead and now Bewl!   For any sun-worshippers, head for Tywyn on 15th August and/or Margate on 5th September...

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I did really badly. couldn't cope with the heat at all. I was overheating then chilling most of the way around. I was dripping with sweat and covered in goose bumps at the same time. Not helped by going dizy. Despite trying to drink loads before hand I recognise that I was dehydrated. At one of the drinks stations I knocked back two bottles of water. A bit further on I felt the benefits of having done that.

Am totally pissed at myself for not having the motivation to run through the pain as it were. I was all for giving up, which I guess I did.

Apart from that, I loved the cold shower and the sponges. Missed out on the cakes, maybe I'll ask for a doggy bag image, I just can't eat after running. but they looked good. The towel was really useful as I was dripping and needed it to dry off! At least I had some jaffa cakes to enjoy in the bath with my cup of tea when I got home.

Will add my Thank yous to Wadhurst Runners, the organisers, the marshalls, the man with the hose.

• BB ✭✭✭

I had the same problem with the heat bikermouse, it was sooo hot, I was very glad to finish whatver the time!

The marshalls were great and I was very impressed with the sponges, they were excellentimage Icouldn't face a cake when I finished, but I took one for later...yummyimage

• A lovely well-organised run as usual. A hot day made it hard for everyone, and those hills on the road just don't get any easier. Water ans sponges were almost enough but there was one long section where I was glad to have carried the water bottle with me. I'll no doubt be back again next year, where hopefully it will be a bit cooler.
  • Provisional results are just being uploaded to www.nice-work.org.uk - click on the Race Results button.

Apologies for the slight delay in posting these results but there was an issue with a couple of the race numbers becoming somewhat damaged by heat/sweat. That, plus a couple of runners finishing shirtless caused the finish line marshals a couple of problems.

We think we're pretty much there now but there are still a couple of queries which we'll endeavour to sort out during the course of the day.

We will also send the results to www.sussexraces.co.uk and they are also being emailed to all those who provided us with a legible email address. Once results have been finalised they will also appear on www.wadhurstrunners.co.uk

If anybody does have a query on the results or can't find their name please drop me a line on martin@nice-work.org.uk

• Great race, really enjoyed it and will be back next year for more of the same. I was a little bit disappointed with my time but given the heat it was understandable that it was a bit lower than I would have liked.

The marshalling was excellent, drinks stations were well stocked, especially with the sports drinks at each (that is a great touch).

That hill at the end is enough to finish off even the most seasoned hill-climber, I saw quite a few folk being caught out by that. But it did make me feel far less guilty about the bellyload of cake I ate.

Liked the fact that the lucozade guy was around at the end to chat to (plus a sackload of goodies). The meday is the best I have ever received in the countless number of races I have done. The cakes - yummy!! Goody bag is one of the best I have ever received after a race too.

My only thoughts was that the toilets (male) were a bit limited before the race and this wasn't great.

All in all though, no massive complaints from me.

• I would like to thank the race organisor and all marshals and helpers for making this race possible. Im guessing the distance between water stations was down to logistics rather than anything else. Not a fault easily rectified on such a course.

Anyway I really did enjoy the race and the beautiful scenery especially the wooded cooler areas heheheheheh

Will see you again next year

• I'd like to echo the comments already made. Great course and ace organisation, lots of water stations etc. and the distance between water stations is understandable but it did catch me out.

All in all a very enjoyable day
  • As one of the marshalls there yesterday can I say thanks for lots of the comments here and in the rating. A lot of effort went in to making this race special (especially from our Race Director) and it just seems (to me at least) that it is getting better and better each year.

A few comments though - the cakes! There were loads and more than enough for every runner but it seems we had problems with people literally loading up cakes on a serviette as some sort of meal! Family members and kids also though they were for them too so made off with helpings. As we could only afford one person for the cake duty this was difficult to police!

As for water between 7-11m this is a tough one because of the location - i.e.a fair way from any road so getting supplies out will be difficult. I am sure our Race Director will monitor this though and will add this to possible improvements next year. We did provide lots of bottled water (I don't know of any other race that provide so much in this respect - and bottled lucozade a the finish!) so these could have been carried.

Glad you all enjoyed it and hope the pain soon goes!

One last thing, can we please ask for your rating to be added to the RW ratings page. Thanks again.

• Great race - I enjoyed it very much. Many thanks to all who volunteered to make it  a good day out.
  • Being a Wadhurst Runner I can't dare say anything bad! Seriously though, what a fantastically organised race that was, the effort that marshalls put in and the behind the scenes work, absolutely top notch. Hardest race I have done so far, the hills were very tough, but the cakes made it well worth it!
  • Plodder KPlodder K ✭✭✭

As the Race Director I am delighted by the response of the Forumites. The logistics were more difficult this year as the course needed to be changed right up to a coup[le of days before the race. We did add a 5th water staion at the base of the return leg at 14 miles, but lesson learnt.

We have already solved the problem of drinks between miles 6 and 11. We have already had agreement from a householder whose back gate borders immediately on the Bewl Water that she will manage a water station for next year. here is a note for your diary. 11th Bewl 15 is set for 4th july 2009. Look out for the details as soon as we receive our permit. We will strive to make the race even better next year.

Thanks for the tremendous support from the runners as well as our trusty band of marshals and helpers. Remeber we are aessentially a small club with a tiny catchment area organising a logistically challenging race BUT we love it.

• Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭

Must echo the comments of all the other runners.

Superbly organised, well marshalled - and weren't those marshalls encouraging all us runners so well! Well done you lot!

And the "missing" water station is to be sorted for next year too! It's great when comments are heeded so quickly and readily. Well done Mr R.D.

And I'm sure that "cakegate" will be remedied next year as well, particularly as some of the locusts have outed themselves, albeit unwittingly, in the ratings comments on the race.

We know who you are now!

• Well said, SD.   I didn't spot you on the day, but I've chosen your 10K for our Club Championship later in the year, so I shall probably see you there, if not before.

Well done, Sir C de C.

I'll probably see you before the Petts Wood 10k at 'Race the Train' in Wales next month. Got to beat the choo choo that day!

Last Sunday was a slow one for me as I had got a foot injury (Metatarsalgia), and had to run gingerly. It was fun starting off last though and working through some of the back markers - they're a friendly bunch there.

I

• I take it you're doing the full version - my only previous attempt I had to do with a foot injury and was not really able to do more than limp the last 3 miles after the rain finally eased off.   Are you staying down there, or just going for the run?

Yep - the full monty - 14 odd miles. Looking forward to it - probably a bit like the Bewl 15, but a tad hillier - well it is Snowdonia after all!

Staying there in a campsite from Thursday until Sunday, just a few minutes form the start of the race - I think there's about 25 of us from PWR making the trip, and having a beano.

• That sounds like great fun.   I shall be there for a couple of weeks, and am likely to pop down on the Friday in order to pick up the train tickets for my wife and children.   They had a great day last time round.   Have you done it before?

No - but its reputation has spread far and wide, (have you read "The Loonines of the Long Distance Runner"? - there's a chapter on it in there) even as far as deepest Kent - so it's a 'must-do' event in 2009.
  • I seem to recall you mentioning the book once before, outside a pub in Wadhurst a few years back, but I have not read it yet.   I shall have to look it out after I get to the end of the series I am currently reading.   The really silly thing about the race is that the "uphill" section is easier than the "downhill" part, and in that sense has something in common with last month's Southend Half where it was easier running into the breeze than it was going the other way...
  • Hiya Snoops you old fart, I missed you at Bewl, saw your name on list.

If your hoping to beat the train I hope you have your road speed for a half to about 6.30 min miles and off road to 7 mm image

Train comes in at about 1hr 45mins.

• Does anyone have the GPS plot data for this run, or could someone place this onto mapmyrun.com?

Really enjoyed it (even though burnt out - literally - at the 11th mile and could not believe that final hill). Will do it again next year and have recommended it to everyone I hate! hahaha

• I'm happy that meet this forum. I like that here I can find a lot of cool information
  • I'm happy that meet this forum. I like that here I can find a lot of cool information also https://grademiners.com/ can help you in studying