Roth 2010

Comments

• I am so sorry!!

have a )))))))))))) few to be going on with   image

To ask the usual question,  how long does Wrath take to sell out .. ish?
  • not sure melds, used to be around October but I think this time it was full after about 3 weeks. C'mon, it's only money and what else would you do with it?

KK - would be nice to meet up.

Full Race
    Bassy
    Mellifera
    Pkim (what in hades am I thinking?)
    ATOM.
    IW if IMDE goes ok in 2.5 weeks - eek!)

Relay
    LJS, swimmer?

Maybe
    Plum
    Trogs
    Kanga
    Hope 
    Cougie retire??? No way!!
    slowtwitcher
    WildWill ... (if Mrs WW lets me)
    Garr
    kittenkat (but also maybe not
    Meldy - a maybe only depending on funds at the time
  • I think I prefer the washing machine start for us crap swimmers. Just toddle in once the decent swimmers are off and then you've no worries. Rather that than getting wave after wave of people coming past you ?
  • It may be only money Wolfy but it wont happen in the same month as IMCH thats for sure.....  August could be ok tho

I am registering interest in this as we can def get a group of 10 and reduce the costs which is good,  and then TLD as I suspect that wont be quite such a mad rush to enter

2 in one year ....  I think I need a check up from the neck up
  • cougie, it isn't a problem, the canal is so wide as long as you don't swim right along the lane line in the centre faster swimmers just flow past. Better than last Sunday, when the swim was an M shape with 2 starts - I met the front of the 2nd wave coming at me when I was swimming back from the first bouy!

Meldy, yes, groups of 10 or more get a reduced entry fee.

• Full Race
    Bassy
    Mellifera
    ATOM.
    IW

Relay
    LJS, swimmer (definite) - TL/SP interested?

Maybe
    Plum
    Trogs
    Kanga
    Hope 
    slowtwitcher
    Garr
  • Ok this would be my first IM tri, in fact possibley my first tri at an any level and if money allows i'll do it.

But my only proviso is that there is a good Pirate turn out.

To be quite honest The TLD is looking more likley due to money,but i'm going to to put myself down as a possible.

Full Race
    Bassy
    Mellifera
    ATOM.
    IW
    Tommygun2

Relay

Maybe
    Plum
    Trogs
    Kanga
    Hope 
    slowtwitcher
    Garr
  • This is all a bit early isn't it for us 2009 first timers to make a decision. I'll let you know after IMCH but for the moment will call myself a maybe.......   

Full Race
    Bassy
    Mellifera
    ATOM.
    IW
    Tommygun2

Relay

Maybe
    Plum
    Trogs
    Kanga
    Hope 
    slowtwitcher
    Garr

Bedders

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

Either this one or frankfurt for me, so will go on maybe list

Full Race
    Bassy
    Mellifera
    ATOM.
    IW
    Tommygun2

Relay

Maybe
    Plum
    Trogs
    Kanga
    Hope 
    slowtwitcher
    Garr
    Bedders
    Foggy

• 2010 first timers are go!, (well maybe here or in IMDE...)

Full Race

Bassy
    Mellifera
    ATOM.
    IW
    Tommygun2

Relay

Maybe
    Plum
    Trogs
    Kanga
    Hope 
    slowtwitcher
    Garr
    kittenkat (but also maybe not)
    Bedders
    Foggy
    Orangecannon

kitten - added your ) back image

• i like the idea of (maybe image) joining the pirate ship in the UK, but with TLD not a definate race, i guess I would be better thinking about this or IMDE but I dont know! eek!
  •  Now TL just need pirate kit - does the kit cater for the larger boob dept??

Full Race
    Bassy
    Mellifera
    ATOM.
    IW
    Tommygun2

Relay
    LJS, swimmer (definite) - SP, cylist (definite) TL, Runner (definite)  = So sorry if we let LJS down, his a bit quick in the water.

Maybe
    Plum
    Trogs
    Kanga
    Hope 
    slowtwitcher
    Garr
    Bedders
    Foggy
    Orangecannon

• No probs, TL, he's not worried about times, most are average but there's always some seriously fast teams that go in for this. So it's not like you'll be in line for a winner's medal!
  • What's the run course like - how many laps? hilly?  can't access anything at work, hell knows how I can get on here though.image
  • There are hundreds of spectators: 

The running course .

starts as if in ecstasy. Real crowds of spectators will cheer you on, the course slightly descends and you go ahead quite quickly. Then there is silence, and the first hill gets you back to reality. This is the real start of the running course. Run slowly and control your speed very carefully. Until you reach the landing stage, the big hub of the running course, you should really run at a comfortable speed and slowly try to find your running legs. Afterwards, along the canal, you should try to keep a calm and positive mood. In this section you should beware of heroic feelings! It's much too early for that, and the probability of overdoing things in this kind of mood is about 100%.

In Schwanstetten .

. all hell has broken loose. Those of you who have read this far will be able to guess the following tips: First, enjoy the experience, so keep your eyes and ears open. Second, keep cool as regards your speed, which is not easy at all. On your way back to the canal there will first be a slight and then a steep hill. Try to run slowly here and save as much power as possible, since you will now come closer and closer to the point where the race will really start.

The long straights .

. are at the same time a blessing and a curse. On the one hand they give athlete a feeling of endless vastness, which can be quite depressing, so be prepared. On the other hand these quieter sections might calm you down a little bit. Stay cool and relaxed. Concentrate on the next steps and on the upcoming aid station. So your inner cosmos is no more than 2 kilometres long and 2 metres wide. Anything beyond does no longer exist. Tip: Counting the kilometres backwards helps controlling your speed.

The second turning point .

. is no fun and hard for everyone. It's not a game anymore. The way back to the canal is hard work and really rough, because you are tired and the slight hill is very hard to take. Most important: Use all available aid stations, if necessary stop for a while.

The finish-line .

. might as well be at the landing stage, or this is at least what you should imagine. Just pretend that this is the finish-line. When you are there you have almost made it, because from that point on you will run downhill in the shadow, which may ease your pain a little bit. You have left the canal behind. From now on you are a hero.

• the landing stage is the bit you pass 4 times, out-and-back in one direction, and the same in the opposite direction, so a great place for spectators. when you reach it on the way back you leave the canal and head down through Roth to the finish line, where it's very loud and raucous, should be even more so with a Pirate crew there.
  • I know the IMTalk podcast boys did it - they seemed to have a great time out there.
  • Full Race
    Bassy
    Mellifera
    ATOM.
    IW
    Tommygun2

Relay
    LJS, swimmer (definite) - SP, cylist (definite) TL, Runner (definite)  = So sorry if we let LJS down, his a bit quick in the water.

Maybe
    Plum
    Trogs
    Kanga
    Hope 
    slowtwitcher
    Garr
    Bedders
    Foggy
    Orangecannon
    Arctic-Lady (I go where Pirates go!)

• Cheers IW, emotional reading that, I best find some hill then, not many in Essex. 

Full Race
    Bassy
    Mellifera
    ATOM.
    IW
    Tommygun2

Relay
    LJS, swimmer (definite) - SP, cyclist (definite) TL, Runner (definite)  = So sorry if we let LJS down, his a bit quick in the water.

Maybe
    Plum
    Trogs
    Kanga
    Hope 
    slowtwitcher
    Garr
    Bedders
    Foggy
    Orangecannon
    Arctic-Lady (I go where Pirates go!)

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

TL - we have some quite serious hills in my part of south Essex. 

You're welcome to come and run up them with us image

• ooh err 
    IMDE or Roff

The competition is hotting up.

This will be my first long distance event, and basically just want to have a fun time while doing somthing silly, (the tri).  Would be nice to have a bunch of yellow suited nuttersalong for the ride......

Opinions as to where I nail my colours please.........

• IW

race number seems to detrmine which wave a competitor is in.  How are the numbers allocated?  Are they random, predicted time, .. ?

• it's partly by gender and partly by time. women, sub 9 and pros in the first wave, 35mins later groups of blokes done by, IIRC, predicted/recent IM finish time (rather than swim time) with relays in the last wave. after the first wave the waves are 5mins apart.

it does make for a fair womens race since the pro women can't pace / draft off the top age group men (pro men and sub 9s generally being to far ahead too quickly)

• No they are not random. The pros are given the lowest numbers, followed by the women which automatically puts us in the first wave 35 mins ahead of the field, great for me as a weaker swimmer. I believe the other numbers are allocated by age group. The two last waves are the relay swimmers.

3000 competitors this year   

We will be there to watch Chrissie hopefully break the women's fastest ever time on July 12th   image

• Don't think I'll be doing any IM events next year but I would certainly recommnend Roth to people, i did the bike bit on LJS's team a couple of years back and the atmosphere was brilliant. Only down point about Roth is that it's a small town with not a lot else to occupy your support team. We stayed in Nuremburg and even then it was a bit tough to find enough stuff to do (although Zuppy did enjoy having hot dogs deliever to his ber table on the bike course!)
  • x-post melli. sorry. But don't the older age groupers still go early or did they change that?
  • I'm not totaly sure but I think the groups were by finishing time. I can't remember whether it was fastest first of last. If I had to guess I would say fastest first based on the order in which the blokes I knew caught me on the bike!