Marathon training - holiday question

Hi,

i'm Going Goofy at Walt Disney World in Jan 2010.

For folk who don't know that is  a half marathon on the Saturday followed by the full on the Sunday.Bit you get 3 medals (I'm like Muttley MEDAL! MEDAL! MEDAL!)

Anyway next week I'm camping for 5 days at Greenbelt - a festival at Cheltenham Racecourse.

I'll be on the 2nd week of my training by then.  I'm doing Hal Higdon's intermediate 1 prog because it has all weekend back to back runs to mimic the Goofy.

But next week I'm away from Thursday to Tuesday morning and am not sure what to do about the training. It should be 3 miles on Thurs which is OK because I can do it before I leave for the festival. Friday is a rest day so that's OK. Monday is cross training so walking briskly around the site will do for that.

But please help me out -  what shall I do about the 5 miles I'm supposed to do on Saturday and the 9 miles I'm supposed to do on Sunday?

I really don't want to run that mileage while I'm there - I'm a volunteer and can't guarantee I'd get a shower after my run so I don't want to be feeling hot, sweaty and disgusting while I'm fulfilling my volunteer role. I'm on the taxi team so I'll have people sitting next to me in the golf buggies we use!

What would you do?

A) Switch the back to back to Tuesday/Wednesday and assume that the walking around the quite large site will be enough to make up for the missed 5/3 miles.

Or

B) Stick to the schedule and just miss the days I'm away?

I did the full marathon last year but was very much a beginner following the Non Runners schedule. Next time I really want to be fitter and stronger. I'm 45 and female by the way - in case it makes any difference to your answers.

Thanks - sorry it is a long post.

Comments