Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Happy New Year all. Work tomorrow which is obviously shite but as most of my running is in my lunch hour, it's good on that front as I find it easier to get out there. Having said that I feel that I'm finally back up and running. Managed a 6 miler on New Years Eve, 14 miles on New Years Day, a treadie sesh yesterday and I played footy today (of sorts, it was indoor and I was lazier than the Man U back 4, although not quite as bad as Vidic as I did manage something). More treadmilling for me tomorrow I think as the paths are all frozen in York again.
    Hope those going back to work don't find it too bad. I get a year older in the week so I guess my legs will start aching even more!
  • hi all

happy new year

well what can i say about this damn weather, managed our club 5k race yesterday but more snow over night has put the dampers on todays run, so took the decision to buy a treadmillimage.

dont really like running on them but better than sitting around waiting for the damn white stuff to bugger off

hope everyones training is going ok

• OK, I'm sick off the snow!!!  This is just ridiculous... 3 fecking weeks its been here now... I've adjusted the plan AGAIN as there is no way I'm getting out for a 15miler this weekend... doubt I could manage it actually as its been a few weeks since I've put any decent mileage in. 

GO AWAY SNOW!!!!  There, that should do it... image

• Caz...totally agree with you, one can only take so much of this weather. As for plans, they well and truly out of the window.

Anybody panicking yet. image

• I've already had a panic... Poor Mr CS came home to find me close to tears after that disastrous run last week... I was sat there wailing "how am I gonna run 26.2miles when I cant even run 3?"

Have adjusted the plan from 15, 12 & 16 over the next 3 weeks on my LSRs to 8, 12 & 14... Just hope I can find somewhere in amongst the snow to run 8miles this weekend... I can see me ending up running the same stretch over and over and over again...

• how are you lot getting out

im shit scared of running on the white stuff and the quiet roads here in derbyshire are too bad to try

i have hit the panic button big style now AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i hope the delivery van can get here next monday i really need this tready

not even a gym close enough to join imageimage

• Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Looks like more snow is forecast for this weekend.... FFS I've had enough now!!! 

• Hi All,

Just checking in after the break. Happy New Year Everybody.

BLOODY SNOW!!!!!image 

I've only managed one run outside, since before Christmas, which was a 10 miler on boxing day. Everything since then has been on a treadie. BORING BORING.

BTW, many congratulations to R Dave & the future Mrs "R Dave". You old romantic you.........

I'm due to do a 12miler on Sunday. Clearly I can't do that on a treadie, I would die of boredom. So I think I will have to repeat the boxing day routine of  running along the cycle lanes at the edge of main roads, repeating the same strecthes five or six times to make up the miles!! Better than nothing.

• Thanks BP - well I do try (lord have I tried)

Hey CS I see your signed up to give the yanks a good kicking. Good on yer. If nothing else it gets you out of the door to do something in this god awful weather

• I dont think my pitiful attempts at running will scare any yanks into submission but every little helps... image

I found a little stretch of the towpath last weekend that although snow covered wasn't too slippy so I might see how I get on this weekend... failing that I'll be joining bburn in the cycle lane... 

• Caz...dont be falling in that canal and scaring all the ducks....or is that froze over.

Ive decided to walk to the gym which is about 1m away and will do a little running on the treadie, and i mean little. Hopefully i can do a few miles on the bike and make me feel better.

I have just received my custom made orthotics and am trying them out as we speak. TBH, they feel very comfy but i have to break them in very gently, a few days before running in them. Running????remind what that is again.
    Hope they do their job and i can run pain free....heaven!!!!!!! 

• Please could someone give me some advice on travel arrangements.......At the time of registering for this marathon I was intending to drive from Lincoln to Edinburgh but have since decided to take the train. Therefore I didnt book any coach tickets for race day. If I am to stop in a hotel in Edinburgh centre I presume I can walk to the start but need a bus to get back to the city centre after the race and also my wife will need a bus ticket from the centre to the finish to see me over the line. Is this the case?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out

• Hurds,

You can buy bus tickets on the website, for both runners and spectators from the finish back to the centre.

• Hi all

Just thought id say Hi

Myself and Mrs WW are doing this race image

• hello mr and mrs WWimage

welcome to the gang

• ive just booked my flights up, and now its getting too real for me image

excited but nervous at the same time this is my first full running marathon, i hope i can make it back to the airport on the monday lol image

might need help from taxi driver image

• Hell there Mr n Mrs WW

Hurds - The start is in the centre of the city so any city centre hotel will do you. I usually stay outside the city centre and get a taxi in. There are no shortage of runners happy to share a taxi from most hotels on the morning of the race. I just put a card on the reception desk with my phone number on asking if anyone wants to share a taxi. It's about £1 each from most of Edinburgh doing it that way and the hotels are cheaper. Also if you are in the centre then there's the tempation to go out on Saturday night to soak up the atmosphere and a bit of sightseeing. Not good prepartion to be honest.

As well as bus tickets you can get a train from Edinburgh that will take you to Musselburgh. My missus found that a better option as the roads between start and finish get quite busy on race day.

Hope that helps

• WildWill, are you going to wear Pirate kit?  I think I will.
  • GarrsMateNige wrote (see)
    WildWill, are you going to wear Pirate kit?  I think I will.
    Yes we both will be ... im not going flat out ... just pacing the Mrs as part of my build up to Germany ... so realy looking forward to it
  • Afternoon All,

The real snow finally arrived in the West Mids on Monday and the novelty soon wore off. So no running at all this week after managing a total of 24 miles the week before.

Still consoling myself that my 16-week schedule doesn't officially start for a couple of weeks. Obviously the forecast for the next week or so isn't great but surely it has to get warmer soon, doesn't it????

What happened to Global Warming?

Did a week's warm weather training with 2.09 Events in Portugal in March last year. Really enjoyed that and if this weather carries on I'm very tempted to give it another go if I can afford it.

• Dont worry ...we trained for london last year in 6 wks afte 6 months with nothing image
  • Thanks for all the info......will my missus be able to get from the start to the finish whilst I am running?
  • Hurds - She will make it even if you set a new world record
  • Gave up waiting for the snow to go away, went out to get some trail shoesies today and managed 6miles in them in the snow on the canal towpath without any problem.

Wish I had your confidence Will, unfortunately I know from past experience its gonna take me a heck of a lot longer than 6 weeks to convince my little legs they can run 26.2miles.  It took me best part of 3 months to get up to 13.1miles last year.

• forecast says at least 1 more week before it even starts to melt image 
  • Want to start training for this race now, But training is getting seriously disrupted by the weather i have no access to a treadmill and i have been doing a 5-6 mile runs out on the clear gritted roads but i want and need to do a long run tommorow 12 miles but the route is a bit trechorous so i might have to walk some of it is it worth run/walking?

• hi michael

ive been run/walking where i can but never more than a few miles the roads round me are too busy i dont trust the nutters on them to run with them lol

• Michael - If that's your only option then you should do it. It all helps and it's certainly better than staying in and bitching about the weather
  • Unlike some on here I'm really enjoying the snow. I think its great to run on, obviously the gritted slush is horrible but I've found I only need to go about 500m from the city centre (York) before I'm on proper snow which is fine to run on. In fact its great, it's physically a bit harder and slower but gives a good workout, a change in scenery and has less impact on the joints. I ran on the snow last year and loved it and I'm loving it now, going out for about 12 - 14 miles in the morning with a mate. I heard the wind maybe up a bit which will make it feel colder but I'll worry about that then. I fully recommend giving it a go if it isn't to icy and therefore slippy.

• My 14 - 16 miles ended up being 20.5 (got to put the 0.5 in it's important!). I felt really good, I don't anymore mind you but the run was great. There's a slight thaw going on in York which has made some bits a little slushy but I was mostly running on compact snow. Now feeling well pleased to get my first 20 miler banked, I've not run further than 15 miles since about August. I am now in full marathon training, bring on Edinburgh!!