How do you fit your training...

2»

Comments

• I have cleaners but haven't had them all summer as the kids were off (and boy have I missed them!!) They'll be back next week (woohoo!)  You're right about the training ramping up in the new year seren - I can't believe I was doing up 20 hours a week training year before last for the IM - I can't picture how I would do that now!

It looks like I'll have to give up my love affair with my pillow! image Thing is I know that it is habit and routine too and I've really got out of the habit - I also know that when I was training so hard I didn't feel much more tired than I do now.   

• I work full time running a business, and have two young kids (4 & 9). leave 8am, home at 6pm.

Biggest problem is that kids are not old enough to fend for themselves, so me and Mr Plodder "take turns", he gets Monday & Wednesday nights to train and I do Tuesday & Thursday. Friday's a night off! He trains Saturday afternoon (& sometimes Sun morning), and I get Sunday afternoon for LSR.

It's not ideal, but it sort of works! Traditional "family life" has completely gone by the wayside, there's no sitting down for meals together very often etc. but I'm not too bothered, I'd rather the kids saw their parents exercising!

Of course what I don't quite get is when it's my so called "nights off", I spend them taking kids to various activities (ie. swimming, football, ballet, gymnastics etc.), no wondered I'm always completely knackered by Friday!!

I wish I could get the hang of early morning runs, I think it would solve quite a few time issues...........if I could just get out of bed image

• I can generally fit in a few steady runs through the week, and then a LSR on Saturday and a hangover beleagured plod on Sunday, but then some weeks I find that I barely get any time to run. At this point I turn to running to work. Its great in the morning, but the slog back up the hill in the evening can be a bit draining.

It only takes 20 minutes longer to run than to sit in the car so I find that this strategy still leaves me plenty of time to sit on my arse watching crap on the TV.

Clearly it only works if you live the right distance from work, but I have heard of people leaving the car halfway or getting off the train/bus early. If there are two of you then you could take it in turns to drive whilst the other runs, not very sociable but at least you could get some miles in.

• OK here goes

Get up @ 4 to be out the house between 4:30 and 4:45
    Run to work between 5 and 8 miles
    Work 6 til 1:30 to 3:00 (depending on time of year including Saturday)
    After work is spent coraling the kids and taxi service.
    Oh arrives home around 7:00 ish

Lsr on Sunday starting around 5:00 and hope to complete before the kids get up.

On days I don't run I alledgedly study for OU

Not running at momment and off work due to bad back.

There is always a way if you realy want it.

• "Get up @ 4 to be out the house between 4:30 and 4:45"

let me guess here - you're a milkman??
  • Helen W wrote (see)

Very much wish I had the super-motivation of some of the people on this thread though.  Huge admiration for you especially angelic!

Thanks! (being insane definitely helps) image

I am lucky because my kids are older and less needy. My dog is also old and geriatric and doesn't require long daily walks. I just need a housekeeper/cook and my life would be perfect. image 

• No wife, no kids and no pets

All my time is my own apart from the 37hrs i have to work Mon to Fri =)

• Devoted2Distance wrote (see)
    Try Rustics, they're half the fat image
    I will! Thanks! image
  • They start even earlier FB
  • Postie - my postie sits in his car for hours on end at the bottom of our street, smoking and listening to his IPOD! Is he taking the p*ss or what?image
  • Ask ant postie and theirs is the hardest delivery ever and all others are definately taking the p*ss!
  • SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

I lost all motivation for running when i was forced - yes forced  to get a job (we're skint).  Hardly ran for over a year.  This week I just thought sod it - I can't get any fatter i've gotta run. 

Got my kit ready and put it by the bathroom door, got up when the alarm went off at 6am instead of pressing the snooze button and finally got out of the door.  I was dragged 3 miles by my 2 greyhounds but felt so relieved I'd finally done it.  Doggies loved it image

I know from experience that if i don't run in the morning I don't run at all.  Made myself a huge 2ltr smoothie for brekkie which whizzed itself while I stretched out.  Drank about 0.5l and took the rest to work with me, so no time needed to prepare food.  Fantastic.  I'm gonna do it again tomorrow.

• sp13 and postie postie you are real inspirations. I am always moaning and winging I want time to fit more running in.  I have two children age 6 and 3 who are awake early in the morning and would be up and excited if they heard me awake at that time in the morning!

Hubbie doesn't understand running and I think would prefer me to spend my time whipping up domestic goddess like goodies and deep cleaning the house! I try the evenings but hate it when it gets too dark to go out and I run the whole way panicking! Often go to the gym instead. Do my long runs on a Sunday if and when I can fit them in. Although wouldn't change things I think I need to try and juggle things a bit better and might try early mornings.

• I move with my jobs! I always make sure I dont live more than 2 miles from the office. That's because I can and I have to. I am renting and I have nobody else to take care of so I can move if job location changes. But because I do part time studying to become a sports therapist as well I'm struggling to fit in my daily chores, runs, case studies (appointments with clients) and have my relatioship going as well.

I've swapped some runs for the early morning and I must say I truly enjoy them but as I'm up at 5:30 for a minimum of 6 mile run, by the time I get home, have eaten done me laundry and what have you and when  I should pick up the books to study I'm falling asleep.

But I am hoping to keep this going, its only temporary until I get my qualification and I hope I can start my own business and choose my own hours.

Light at the end of the tunnel. image

• bk42bk42 ✭✭✭

My hubby and I also have our own business and two children 2 and 3 years old . I had been getting up at 5.30 to run for an hour 4/5 times a week and long run at weekends. Really struggling since the dark er mornings so I am completely with you on losing your mojo , me too!!

Its hard to stay motivated but far more frustating not to go. I am getting really mad with myself when I dont run!! Maybe thats motivation enough........ ket me know how you get on, maybe you can motivate me!!

• Clinic doesn't open til 10am so I run before that or afternoon if I've an early finish and no patients. Hours are variable so I fit training in around it, though very rarely run in the evening. But will go climbing (indoor in winter) or do some weights (if I've not done too much massaging as grip is fecked).

Sometimes I just feel too tired as my job's quite physical and mental (!) with the concentration so I just want to collapse with a cup of tea when I come home. Then there's writing up patient records, answering missed calls and emails to catch up on before the next day.

My tip: do no housework!

• me and the better half get up at 530 4 times a week, this gives us time for a 30 min run, shower, breakfast and then time for the 30 min drive to start work at 730. we have both found we have so much more energy for the rest of the day, and go to work alot more awake that everyone else in the workshop!