LSR on fridays....

2»

Comments

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Quite rightly too. I have my long run to look forward to at the weekend.

• I always thought that they were on a Sunday because most races are on a Sunday and it got your body used to doing the long run on that day.
  • The thing with sundays is that i get up early to go to work mon-fri - by sat i am knackered so have a long lie then am ready to go and have long run on sunday.

Plus my first running club always did lsr's on sunday and now i can't seem to shake the habit. AND it means that if i have a race - it's nearly always a sunday which means that i keep to my routine and don;t mess the rest of the family about too much - i.e. i am alway out sun mornings whether racing or not.
  • danowat i'le be putting your first hm in the midddle of my lsr on sunday,then home to catch gp and doze till footie
  • LSRs on a Friday should be avoided.

Historically, western people avoided meat and fasted (particularly for Jewish poeple) on Fridays.  Hence the tradition of eating fish and chips on that day.  Therefore, we have become genetically programmed not to do any phyical activity on Fridays.

Also, because everyone is queuing up for their fish and chips, it can be very inconvenient for runners attempting to get past.

Therefore, Friday is the worst day of the week for LSRs.

This has been a public service announcement to help spice up a very boarding thread.

• I have to respectfully disagree.  Assuming you can fit in your LR before the chippie closes, fish and chips is an excellent recovery meal.  Also, mushy peas (I'll take that as a given) obviously count toward your 5-a-day and contain more iron than broccoli.

• I finished my LSR at the chippy last night! oh ok i ran past  a) to round it up to the nearest mile and b) cos i couldn't bring myself to finnish by running into the chippy. I felt it looked better to walk back and pretend I hadn't been excersizing.
  • I normally do my long running at the weekend, for the sole reason that , where I live and run, in the countryside, it is getting dark at 7ish and without the lighting benefits of street lamps, I cannot see a dam thing. If I had a choice thoyugh, I would love to run after work in the week, just to get it out of the way with!
  • TheraThera ✭✭✭

I am just changing my training plan to start doing my long runs on friday. I like the idea of relaxing (with the kids and OH) during the weekend. I also find that if we go away visiting my long run always gets scrapped. In my new training plan I will be doing just 2 or 3 miles on a Sunday so that it is easier to fit in with everyting else as well as not being a biggie if I have to skip it.

There is one question though...does your body get used to doing a long run on a certain day which could then effect racing on Sundays?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    I did most of my LSRs on a Friday to prepare for The Boston and Berlin Marathon this year.It was a great feeling knowing I could rest on Saturday and enjoy family life and then finish the weekend off with a blast on Sunday evening.
  • When I started I did my LSR on Sundays but it just meant your whole weekend had to be geared to that in terms of eating correctly etc. It got to the point where all I seemed to be doing was running or waiting to run!

So a few months ago i switched to a Saturday morning which meant I could go out for a drink on the saturday afternoon (afternoon usually finishing around 10pm!). This also left Sunday available if I fancied put in a few extra miles or doing something else other than running. It also gave more recovery time for running on Monday nights. However having seen this thread I am now in the process of experimenting with a midweek LSR. I did 11 miles last Wednesday and have now decided to try and stick to doing this during the week. Mainly because I get home from work at 5:15, get changed, give the dog a quick walk and then head out on my run. Regardless of what session I do during the week I would not go out afterwards so why not cram in the big one! I think this is the way forward. image

• 19 for me tomorrow!

And that's fine because I can drink wine and watch Strictly knowing I've banked some miles!image

• 13.25 tonight, all alone, from light into dark. At least its done. image 

I predict a few aches in the morning! I think I do myself an injustice by saying "LSR". I simply dont seem able to run slowly when running by myself. Tonights run was about 15s per mile outside half marathon pace with nowhere near the nutrition and prep that I would do for a half. I really must learn this aspect of running.

• TheraThera ✭✭✭
    LB - it looks like you have kept up the miles after your marathon in spring. How did you do that during the summer holidays with the kids off school? I did not get any running done at all and have to start all over again (4m LSR image).
  • Good luck D2D- i'm off out later hopefully for a LR but have had the lurgy so don't want to do any damage to myself!!!
  • I'm done! And I did 20 miles! image

*smug ass face* image

Thera - I find it really hard to fit all the runs in over the holidays. Mr LB juggles his time as best he can to allow me to go out first in the evenings but I confess I did a few 6.30am runs before he went to work to get the miles in!

Have a good run D2D!

• TheraThera ✭✭✭
    Well done LB...that's a great distance. Next school holiday I will be more organised, because starting like this again is too much like hard work. i only managed 9 miles this week....pathetic!!
  • TheraThera ✭✭✭
    By the way...that was 9m in total...not in one run!!
  • Well done Liverbird- I can only imagine what 20miles feels like but will have to learn as have a charity place for London next year!!

I'm done and dusted and managed the 12miles on plan- ready to start my taper now image

• Vik - you build up to it! Congrats on the charity place for VLM!  I expect my rainjacket any day now....image

Tapering...... I love tapering! image

• I work shifts that get moved all over the place, so I tend to do the LSR wherever it fits in that week. Today I ran a 14m into work (Thursday), but last week I managed the same after a Tuesday night shift.

I really wouldn't recommend that though. The combination of gels with caffeine, and aching muscles does not make for a restful daytime sleep!