So who got a place in VLM 2010

I just got home and found the commiserations magazine dumped on the floor with the rest of my junk mail. Now I have to decide which crappy charity to run for,and spend  the next 6 months pretending to be interested in raising money for them.

Comments

• I think the whole "charity place" thing with the marathon is heading for a big legal challenge - especially as more and more ballot places are being sacrificed for bonded ones.

If you are running for a charity that demands you raise £1800 (for example) and £600 of that is to cover the cost of the bonded place then should you be required to put on your sponsorship form that: "30p of every pound donated will go towards paying for my marathon place"?

I think if that was a requirement then a lot of sponsors would think twice about how much they commit to...

Looking at how the so-called "budget airlines" have been forced to declare all their hidden charges I think that if you are asking someone to contribute to a charitable cause you should be completely open about how much of their donation will actually count.

It's a can of worms that I don't think anobody wants to open! image

• Yay, another VLM rejection thread!!!!
  • Me - Not doing any charity for this one tho' All for me...........................................................image
  • I might get a place through the club though.Aparently they get 3 places. Last year only 6 people put there names in the hat so I still have a good chance.
  • TheraThera ✭✭✭
    Brad Robinson 2 wrote (see)
    I just got home and found the commiserations magazine dumped on the floor with the rest of my junk mail. Now I have to decide which crappy charity to run for,and spend  the next 6 months pretending to be interested in raising money for them.
    If running is your hobby you don't have to run for charity if you don't want to! I did a local marathon in spring and I didn't run for charity. I did feel bad at the time but I get the impression now that plenty of people run because they want rather than having to raise money. It shoudl be fun!!image
  • Congrats on your places KK and Gaz. Im still anxiously waitingimage

• I just got dumped for the 4th year in a row. I am going to do Brighton as gave up Abingdon. I get so upset about it. I live on the path of the London Marathon, and have to stand there, year after year, and watch people walk past. I will be out with my air gun this year shooting at the feet of those who haven't trained.

All for charity, and was doing it last year for charity but had to withdraw due to an ear operation to give someone else a place (they were oversubscribed). Just a heck of a lot of money £1650 the year I am getting married, or any year - and I don't know about you lot, but this year has been a nightmare for me for fundraising. Donation fatigue seems to have set in.

Anyway - well done to those who have. Train hard and run for me come April. Don't train hard and I will see you at Tower Bridge. I will be the one with the air rile pointed at your feet. . .

• I haven't had mine through yet i'm not anticipating getting in 1st time so am just waiting for my new red rain jacket to arrive! If I do get in by some miracle I will have to either get down to some serious training or defer for 2011, with a new baby due in December I may be too knackered to train properly for next year. Will have to wait and see!
  • I am sure you are just saying this to rile me Jack.

Congrats on the baby by the way.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Thera wrote (see)
    Brad Robinson 2 wrote (see)
    If running is your hobby you don't have to run for charity if you don't want to! I did a local marathon in spring and I didn't run for charity. I did feel bad at the time but I get the impression now that plenty of people run because they want rather than having to raise money. It shoudl be fun!!image

Yeah, when people go off to play a footy match, no one asks them whether they've been sponsored. But if you run then you're supposed to raise money. image

• Catchee Monkey wrote (see)

I am sure you are just saying this to rile me Jack.

Congrats on the baby by the way.

I will have to see how hard the work is with the baby. Can't see me getting in 1st time though
  • That's why I don't bother entering London any more, it's not really a race, it's a fund-raising costume festival. Plenty of well-organised, big city marathons to do besides that one, and when I go to one of them I don't have to spend all day telling people no I'm not running for a charity and getting "those" looks. Living on the Continent,  money is raised in other ways than going round with your hand out for donations, it simply isn't done. So I'm unable to raise any significant funds for something like running a marathon.
  • imageI'm a reject based on that thread Schmunks. image

and now i'ev spilled tea over the lap top wihc is dying fast...........image

where did this big space come forrm?  can#t get rid of it and computer is f-=ck-d. 

• image although there are other marathons image
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Soup Dragon has gone down ... help... help ... hel ...p...h.. image
  • didn't get in but then I didn't expect to. 

I've now entered the Edinburgh Marathon and I can't wait.  

• I await my doorstep tonight with baited breath image

I run for myself, not charity, so will only do it via the ballot.

• I sometimes run for charity, but only if I've got my own place first, I only raise a few scrappy quid from close friends and family.  can't be bothered with trying to raise hundreds!

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    i'm in, first time, feel guilty for those that have been rejected many years in a row, not sure how the system works, if it random I have been lucky.
  • I'm a reject for the 3rd time... or is it 4 now?

Can't raise thousands when I bug my mates all year long for nursery / school fundraisers. 

• I'm in at the second time of asking!

Consider myself a lucky get,  was definately expecting a "better luck next time" pack.

• I thought if you applied 3 years in a row  and got rejected you'd get in automatically after that. Is that not right? Or is it 5 years?

I'm yet to decide if to run for a charity or just scrap the idea and do something else. Like something overseas.

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    It's 5 years. If I get rejected this year, that'll be my fourth rejection. Still done the FLM for the last three years though image
  • djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Dear Runner

Further to your telephone call to the London Marathon helpline over the last 48 hours, we can confirm that your application for a guaranteed entry in the Virgin London Marathon has been successful and our database has been amended to show that this is your sixth consecutive year of applying.  

We apologise for the confusion caused, but we hope this will now resolve the situation.

Your entry into the 2010 Virgin London Marathon is guaranteed and as such you will receive an Acceptance magazine in the post. Please allow two weeks for the magazine to arrive before contacting us.

Kind regards,

The London Marathon team

Lianne Hogan

The London Marathon Ltd

PO Box 1234

London

SE1 0XT

Tel: 0207 902 0200

Fax: 0207 620 4208

• I am amazed that I have got in. This is my first year of trying.

• Marathons are **** anyway!

Why bother? 5k's are the way forward...lot less bother image

• s3tjjs3tjj ✭✭✭
    Been rejected - 1st attempt so can't be too upset really.  Thinking about doing Edinburgh instead - nice trip for me and the OH!
  • I have not heard a thing yet so fingers crossed