new to ultra training

2»

Comments

• Tricia,

Aid stations are brilliant at Comrades. I think there are 50+ on the route - works out at around 1 every 1.5km. They usually have water, powerade and coke. There is usually fruit and chocolates too (and potatoes in the second half).

I usually a small water bottle to avoid the chaos at the first few water stations (which you reach before sunrise in the dark) and I only carry enough gels to get me to half way on Comrades - it's because after that, I find that I can't even face looking at a gel packet, however nice it tasted to start with. I've tried with quite a few different makes and flavours too! In the second half of the race I just eat anything I feel like that's on offer and the drink that works for me is a mixture of coke and water (but I'm fussy the coke has to be ice cold - otherwise it gets donated to African kids on the side of the road...)

DD,

I'm running the Greensand on Sunday - you're not going for the Beachy Head/Greensand/Dublin triple are you?

Comrade,

Why not enter again for 2010? As a former runner you have until 31 October...

Poacher,

Very true - if you don't have the right mentality - physical fitness will only get you so far... The beauty of Comrades is that as it is the biggest ultra in the world in terms of participants, you very rarely run alone.

SD
  • Hi Slow Duck thanks for that info. Feel I have so much to learn. image

Do you all stay in Durban or near the start?

Tricia

• Tricia,

I usually stay in Durban and take a coach to the start (it leaves at around 3am!) - you can buy tickets for it at the Expo and costs around £5 (not bad value for a 56 mile journey!). But other runners book into Pietermartizburg for the night (not too practical if you're on your own...)

SD
  • Thanks SD. I will be with my OH so I could stay in Pietermartizburg - don't think I fancy a 3am start !!
  • It's not so bad really - as I find that I can't usually sleep much on the night before - too scared of oversleeping...
  • Draycote was mentioned.

When is it, exactly?

Their website only refers to the 2009 date.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Yes generally middle of Feb - 7 laps of a reservoir on the road.  Well organised and you are never more than 2 1/2 miles from race HQ.  There's a simultaneous mara.
  • Hi guys, firstly excited I seem to have got a thread up and runningimage

Brilliant that some real experts have come on and thanks for all the great comments so far.

SD- Im sure you have worked this out but yes its me "darkhorse" from FETCH

The news is in looks like Im going to SA, long chat with the wife and got a "your mad" but OK plus club member has said yes to. So its next Sunday/mondayimage 

Next question for the experts wieght. For my first 6 marathons I became terrible and was on the scales every day, and got down to the lightest I had ever been but hit the wall. For Leicester I was about half a stone more but felt great the whole way round. There is part of me thinking I had gone to far (13.5 and 6ft) which is by no means slim. I have also stopped drinking leading up to a marathon but even had a pint the night before. Whats the expert view. Thanks

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Runners come in all shapes and sizes, does it really matter if it feels right to you? Personally I'm taller than you and nearly 3 stone lighter - must start drinking more lovely pints of high-carb lager image preferably with chips
  • Martin: I'm not exactly slim, life / running is a compromise. Sure I could lose a stone and probably be a few minutes quicker, but then I like beer and life is to short. Most runners (particularly those training for Comrades) have to make compromises as running / life clash adding another dimension worrying about my weight is something I can do without.

SD: Just Beach Head though I considered the double of BH/Green sands for awhile. Glad I didn't do it now as was trashed at the end of BH. How did GS go? One of your club mates run with me for miles at BH

• Thankd DD, I enjoy bad food and beer far to much. I started running to loose weight and have (4 stone) but as you say its a balance.

Still working on this pace problem. 15 miler today as my longest run since Leicester, completly stupid 2 hours when target was 2.15 and legs feel it tonight. Is it worth starting walk breaks now ?

Anyone any idea when Draycote opens. Only 100 places so worried could go quickly

• DD I think we were luckier with the weather at Greensands (sunny and warm) than you were at Beachy Head(wet and windy). Was it Chris that you ran with at Beachy Head?
  • Starting my ultra training for Connemara in April this Sunday with a 2hr 30mins run.After 14 marathons looking forward to trying to go that bit further ( 39 miles ) i am not putting any time pressure on myself for my first one ( thats easier said than done ) after taken on board all the advice i have read i think my longest training run will be 5 hrs does this sound right.
  • Hi is this the Draycote race you are talking about?

http://www.krrac.info/DW_Info.asp

If so it looks like it has been cancelledimage