Epsom Oddballs Perch XI 6.25

I love this race so much image

Comments

• so do I - haven't run it for a couple of years - marshalled instead which was good fun too - may run it next time image
  • more info please folks since it is RW only so i can't access it
    off road?
    what's with the squelshy?

i could come down and do it and visit Annette at the same time - GE

• Hi Lurks

It was very squelshy last year.  The grounds a bit drier at the moment. image

Entry here or check out the Oddballs website here

•  image Oh, and FYI Squelshy is the Northern spelling of Squelchy.

Greeny - back me up here image

• Hi Lurks

The race is on Epsom Downs and is all off road - it's a bit hilly and some bits can be a bit squlechy - it's great fun though - I'm sure you could tie it in with a visit to Annette image  If you do it so will I image

• hmmm - you are not exactly selling it to me
    but if it is "fun" i can hardly say no

i will sort it, need to do negotiations

• It's a great race - probably not a good pb course - but good fun.

Weather is usually either wet n windy, leading to a high degree of squelshyness  - or bright, cold and frosty so less squelshy image

• i am allegedly marathon training so not bothered about getting a pb
  • do what I would do then - run there, do the Perch and then run home - simple - heheheheimage
  • I just wanted to join in this discussion as I have entered it now. It seemed such a good run, I couldn't resistimage  So what would you say? Is it much harder than a road 10k?
  • It is quite hilly and generally a little bit slippy so very different to a road 10k.   image
  • It's much more fun than a road race - I'm not averse to a bit of mud myself image

Trying to persuade a chap at work to do it now image

• More victims hehehe image

• Hi

Bit of a newbie here, so thanks for any help you can give me. 

I have set myself the challenge of running a 10k race a month for the year. I appreciate this is undoubtedly very unimpressive to most people on this site, but that is kind of the point - I need to do something that doesn't need months of training. Anyway, Epsom Perch is the one for January, and I wanted a bit of advice.

I have only run road or trail races to date and when I started out a few years ago  was fitted with a pair of mizuno wave inspire trainers which (through various incarnations) have seen me through the past races I've done. Are a pair of road running trainers like this likely to be ok for the Perch or do I need something a bit more rugged?

The race blurb itself says 'multi-terrain' but the chat here seems to suggest 'squelshy' off-road. I don't care about getting muddy, I just don't want to break my ankle slipping, one month into my challenge.

Ta for the help.

Dave

• I like this one too, but am unfortunately away on holiday image
  • ToucsToucs ✭✭✭

Hi David

The course is multi terrain, but there are area's where it gets muddy, especially if there has been poor weather conditions.  I ran the Tadworth 10 last Sunday and the conditions in relation to mud were not bad.  If you run in the Mizuno's when it has been raining then you will slip around a bit.   However many runners do use their road shoes for this event.  I think it will have to be a decision leading up to the day as to whether you should invest in a trail shoe.

Hope this helps.

• Hi - I've just entered this, and will be doing it as part of a 10 mile run that I need to do that day.... I guess that will make it a 2mile warm-up, 6 mile race, then 2 mile warm-down....

David - I ran part of this course yesterday, and it was very slippy and slidy in parts, and I was wearing Saucony trail shoes. I think if I'd been wearing my road shoes I would have really struggled on bits of it.... However, I think this was partly due to the recent thaw of the snow, and the fact it has been peeing down a bit......

GO

• I've seen the tee-shirts!
  • I'm now marshalling so will be doing my planned run the day before so will be able to let all you lovely people know how the course is the day before image
  • Hi guys,

Sorry if this seems a bit of a daft question. This is the first race I have entered online in advance. All the others have been on the day. I have not had anything through the post. Is this normal? Do they have a list of entries to check off on the day?

Anyways… looking forward to it! I only have a pair of road shoes so I hope it doesn’t rain too much leading up to the race! image

• Hi Richie

It appears a couple have gone awol in the post. If you haven't received your number by Sunday just come to the HQ (weighing room) and pick up a replacement.
  • Green Eyes

Did you run part of the course today? If yes, how squelshy (to use the Northern spelling!?) was it?

I'm really looking forward to doing this tomorrow, and am currently trying to decide between my normal off-road shoes, and my super fabulous new Roclite 315s.

If I wear my Roclites it will mean I need to wear a different pair of trainers for the 2 mile jog there and back - but my other off-roaders are fine for the road as well...... Tricky decision.........image

GO

• I didn't in the end - ran on Epsom Common on Friday and if that is anything to go by then it might be a bit muddy tomorrow - good luck to everyone and I shall be cheering everyone along with my daughter who's keeping me company whilst I marshall image
  • Thanks - I was out on the Common today  and it was very muddy in parts......
  • What a lovely morning for a fab race - really enjoy marshalling this one - everyone is soo friendly image)

I was just before the 3 mile marker so we had a good walk out of it too

Well done to all the runners and may see you all next year image

• Really enjoyed running this today.........

Green Eyes - thank you to you and all the other marshalls - this was a really nice run, and everything seemed very well organised.

GO

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭
    Great race! Thanks to everyone who organised this, and also to the runners and especially to those who were encouraging when I was struggling to get up those hills!
  • David Hastie - Good luck with your challenge, hope you can do it!!

Today was the first time I have done this race.  It was really good fun.  I thought the course was hilly and challenging in places, but I also really enjoyed the downhills!  Well organised and with friendly marshalls.

Many thanks to the runners who helped me up and then kept checking I was OK when I took a nosedive just before 3 miles.  Much appreciated!!

• suerunner - were you in a red vest? If yes, I was right behind when you slipped and took your nosedive...... hope it didn't effect your run too much?

If not - then you weren't the only person landing flat on their front up that hill..

GO