Options

Getting rescue GSD

2»

Comments

• Options

Thanks Trog image

We've a tiled floor in kitchen, thankfully but have put newspapers down. I know not to tell him off too if we find a deposit tomorrow.

Been out in the garden a couple more times, still no elimination. He just stays close to me, then he laid down. He's a lovely temperment, really placid.

I'll leave the fleece I've been wearing all day in his bed tonight, as Mr S said when I left the room he was sniffing where I'd been sitting.

• Options

Can we have a pic please Siance? image

And what's his name?

• Options
  • Options

Agree totally with what's been said above about training classes, they are a must once he's settled in. Almost all GSDs pretty soon learn to love working, we've had shepherds for the past 30 years or so and even my Shani who was totally hyper learned to really enjoy club nights (but it did take her 6 weeks to lie down and stay!). My current two start getting excited about a mile away from the club.

My brother and his family have 6 rescue animals, 2 cats and 4 border collies. The two female collies settled in very fast and were totally confident, both males had been mistreated and were fearful of strangers at first - but with patient and loving care now all 4 are into agility training and loving it.

• Options

Also, we have only had one GSD with hip dysplasia.

Forgot to say, the other important thing mentioned already was the "me boss, you not" which is really really important, and that does include stuff like not allowing him on the furniture. He has to know he's a dog not a human, and know his place in the family hierarchy.

Good luck and many many years of fun with him. Any other questions, email me, I'll be glad to answer. As someone said, I'm not often on here during the day, we're not allowed on the internet except at lunchtime. And interactive forums like this one are banned!

• Options

Newb at uploading photos so this might not work...

Remus

what a night image he went ballistic when we left him in the kitchen, scratching and crashing into the door, barking. Poor thing. Was wheezing when I went down to him, like respiratory distress.

And had relieved himself... wee and poo on floor.

After he settled (didn't fuss him) I tried sleeping on sofa down with him but he kept getting on the other sofa. Not having that, so it was either chairs on the sofa or take his bed upstairs.

Opted for the latter. Don't know if it was the right decision but he settled quickly. Had a sniff of us in the night to check we were there then woke us up properly at 6am.

Still no wee / poo in garden image Took him for 3 mile walk this morning, good as gold on the lead. Walking at my side on slack chain. He's learnt his name, taught him to sit, lie down & stay today with clicker. He knows what NO means and catches on fast.

Clearly he's abandonment issues. I've no idea how long it will take for him to know 'his pack' is not going to leave him. Follows me or Mr S everywhere. So guess we'll have to do practice departures to break this when he's more settled.

• Options

separation anxiety is very very difficult to cure - Shani was terribly insecure and caused an awful fuss when left. In the car she would jump up and bark or howl whenever I got out, or even stopped at a traffic light. When left indoors she would find something to destroy, mostly battery operated. We would go out for just a few minutes and then return, did this over and over gradually increasing the time we were gone. Eventually she learned we would always come back sometime, but we had many embarrassing moments when out, because if we met up with anyone and were with them for a while, Shani would howl at the top of her voice when the others left -sort of you can't go, you're part of my "pack" now. She was better when older but never did stop the screaming in the car whenever I stopped or even braked.

• Options
    Jokerman wrote (see)

I let my dog lie on the furniture. She still knows she's a dog. She's in the kitchen at night tho.

I think you'll need to leave him in the kitchen for a hour or two in the day. Let him get used to it. Don't pamper him too much. Dogs are like children, before you know it you'll have a spoit brat on your hands.

An hour or two?! He can't be left 5 mins at the mo. You should see the scratch marks - surprised he hasn't got splinters. Also we live in a semi detached cottage, neighbours are a factor.

Neither of us are pampering him, when he's submissve and quiet he gets fuss. If he demands attention, jumps up, mouthes or whimpers we ignore him.

Totally agree about spoiling pets, they're not humans in furry suits and should know their place.

Ultra-Ironwolf wrote (see)

separation anxiety is very very difficult to cure - Shani was terribly insecure and caused an awful fuss when left. In the car she would jump up and bark or howl whenever I got out, or even stopped at a traffic light. When left indoors she would find something to destroy, mostly battery operated. We would go out for just a few minutes and then return, did this over and over gradually increasing the time we were gone. Eventually she learned we would always come back sometime, but we had many embarrassing moments when out, because if we met up with anyone and were with them for a while, Shani would howl at the top of her voice when the others left -sort of you can't go, you're part of my "pack" now. She was better when older but never did stop the screaming in the car whenever I stopped or even braked.

Yep reckon that's what we'll have to do image

Sorry that link didn't work, techno numpty.

• Options

I would suggest that you use a crate to train the poor guy. We have always used one. Some dislike them, others swear by them. It is a sanctuary for the dog. His space...the rest of the house belongs to you.

It is okay to allow on to furniture...but it must be that it is you that is allowing the dog on the settee etc. 

Good luck...you can do this...take your time and don't show anger...be calm and consistent in everything. image

• Options
  • Options

image Little N.

Jokerman wrote (see)

When he scratches the door are you telling him off? I used to have a dog that would sometimes bark when put in his pen. The only thing that stopped him was a smack I'm afraid. Because he very rarely had a smack, he quickly realised what he was doing was not acceptable.

We didn't tell him off last night as thought the state he was in would make him more stressed. Just ignored him till he'd calmed down.

He barked at me when I was eating, so straightened him up for that. Then just after that he jumped up on a chair so got told off again. He's pushing the boundaries. When he'd calmed down I did some training with him (he's very food orientated).

Don't know how suitable crate training is for older dogs, esp ones that have been restricted in kennels? I'm willing to give it a go. I know pups respond well to it. I'd need a big one, that's for sure image

• Options
    Looks like he needs to grow into his legs a bit image
  • Options
    So now you've got Remus, when are you getting Remo? (Or was the name chosen for a different reason)
  • Options

Nice looking dog...much better than the low-hipped GSD...does look a bit wolfie thoughimageimage

Gonna cost you a fortune in treats and food.

• Options
    Pretty dog. Looks like he'll fill out a bit yet. Seems about the same size as my Nemo.
  • Options

He looks lovely.  

I let our dogs on the furniture - the Staffy is 14 now and spends most of his day on the settee, the Belgian Shepherd can be lured onto the furniture but otherwise has no interest in it - she prefers to crash out on the floor.   

For separation you might try leaving him/her with some dry food stuffed in one of those Kong toys - that way it has something else to focus on especially as he is food oriented. 

Crate training is fine if it's to stop your house getting trashed - we've got a big cage for when our Belgian was a puppy but as she's never been destructive it's in the shed now - for a big dog having a big enough crate out all the time in the house is a pain unless you have a very big house.