Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Comments

• jbfar - I was wondering what pace the 400's were supposed to be at (e.g. 5k / 3k or other) and how much recovery between them.  The mileage for the session is pretty low given the amount of quality running.
  • Oh dear- sorry!

Ok a lap- was my Garmin- so it was 1mile lap.

There wasnt much recovery at all- it was walk/jog for 30 seconds then straight into the next 400m.

I don't know why lap 2 (2nd mile) wasa bit slow!  I think maybe i didnt stop my watch when I met up with the club or something?

The pace for the 400m was not stated by the coach- but it felt like 10k pace? 

As I said pacing is not my strong point!

• I need to work put how to do split times on my garmin i think!
  • JBFAR - there's two buttons on the side of your 405 - the top one is stop/start and the bottom one is lap/reset. When you're out just hit the lower one every time you start/finish a rep and hey presto! When you download it should come up with split and recovery times
  • Thank MM- Ill try that later.  Just need to find that software to be able to transfer onto the computer nowimage

• Totally agree JM-I did download all Garmin data for the 2008 FLM- but all that data got wiped when my laptop died which is annoying.  I only kept a record of mileage from 2008 as that was the first GPS I ever had so previously just ran on times.

II will be doing a full training log for the 2010 VLM so I know where I am, and Paul can see where I am aswell

• Traingin today: 5 miles easy scheduled-- did 6.27 (Av 8.19 min miles)

I wonder reading MM thread if this easy pace is too fast and i should be going slower? sort of 9 min mile pace?

Paul I think my club session tomorrow evening will be cancelled due to weather - so let me know what session I should be doing instead and pace?  I can still go out on roads.

BR Read on the sub 3 thread you were doing 3 runs today!! wow! whats your average weekly mileage?

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

I never use my Garmin for 400m reps, find it much easier to use a good old fashioned stop watchimage  Do you have to use your Garmin for all your runs JBFAR?  Well done for the effort there though.

I tried my first V02 session today, but had to do it on the treadmill as still can't run outside here - it's like an ice skating rink on a hillimage  Anyway 10 miles completed with 4 x 800m at 16kph and 4 x 400m @ 16kph.  Was supposed to be 6 x 800m, but struggled after 4, so decided to finish the session with 400s.  I find it much more difficult to do these sessions on a treadmill than outside, there's just so little fresh air to breathe. Hopefully when I'm outside doing them again I'll nail the 6.

JBFAR - what is your planned progression on the 400s from now to VLM?

• JBFAR - remember that I am only aiming at sub 3h15 (although publically my 'A' goal is 3h05) and I run a lot on feel. If that means I run at 9min + pace on snow at the moment then fine. Look on the sub 3 thread for marathon effort vs marathon HR debate and remember that you're not looking to run sub 3 this Sunday but in another 14 weeks so don't stress too much about pace,etc. You've only just started the plan and have another 12+ weeks of good training to do before you need to worry about pace.
  • Personally I've never found a Garmin very useful for short reps - a stopwatch with lap splits does the trick.  The reps are measured anyway so the GPS becomes redundant and all you're left with is a £300 watch.  I do find it useful on an extended tempo run to track pace / HR relationship and also the gradient of the route I am running on.
  • just back from a run wrote (see)
     wonder reading MM thread if this easy pace is too fast and i should be going slower? sort of 9 min mile pace?

I reckon MM would be clipping along at under 8mm without the snow for the same effort. Has Paul E not given any guidance on paces then? Actually I thought the sub 3 schedule gave mileage and a time guidance. I doubt the schedule gets you running anywhere near as slow as 9mm. Problem with running too slow is if form suffers. 9mm can be a bit of a stagger/shuffle on good ground, like the end of my marathons.. 

I reckon the 405 is great but pointless around a track as BR says but then again you dont want to buy a stopwatch as well, you can turn off GPS mode when at the track.

• I use both the Garmin and a stopwatch - although I'm not convinced that the Garmin is 100% accurate on speed - my mile reps always seem easier and faster on my measured mile route!

Had space to run early afternoon today so planned to run around 90minutes steady. Started my run on the roads, but still too icy, so swapped back to my studs and headed for a run along a usually very runnable old disused railway line. Ran out for 40minutes, in ice snow and some mud, felt manageble  until on the way back a guy from my running club (33min 10k) decided to join me - didn't want to spoil his run so upped the pace to match his and ran back in 30minutes. Not what I had intended to do - I guess that is what you call a Progression Runimage

Good session last night from JBFAR and good session from Hilly on the treadmillimage 

• Nifty: That does sound Nifty at 33 min 10k pace!  well done for that- always good to have a bit of company isn't it.

Hilly: Nice treadmill session- i may have to resort to that tomorrow but am hoping to still get outside at the moment

Shadowface: Paul put HYF on a a couple of session and easy ona couple- I asked whether I should be doing the pace on the RW program and he said yes so I should go with these but at the moment I don't think i am at that pacing level yet.

Thanks all for your tips regarding garmin/stop watch- I have got a stop watch so perhaps ill use that in future ( need to work out how to do splits on this too though.)

• Hi JBFAR,

I have to admit to forgetting all about the Super Six after I had cast my votes (you were my pick for the Sub 3)

I'm here now image so the very best of luck for your training and I'll be following your progress and the debates that will doubtless ensue.

I see some familiar names here on my read-back already. 

SJ 

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Nifty - nice run.  I'm used to running with someone of that pace, but I have to say he does slow down lots for my sake and if he wants a blast we use loops or he comes back for me.

JBFAR - to tell the truth I just wouldn't want to risk running outside at present.  It really was like sheet ice around here this morning and looks like tomorrow will not be any different.

• Just to say that the guy who I was running with can run a 33min 10k, but he wasn't going quite that fast today - don't want you all to think that I am super speedy!!

• welcome SJ- good to have you here...and thanks for the vote!

N&S- you don't have to admit to that! you did go substantially quicker on the way back with him though- so all good

I am contemplating treadmill tomorrow after seeing the forecast but will see how it feels when i wake up...hhmmmppphhhh
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    EP - does the Garmin work differently at slower paces then? image
  • Morning all!  My Garmin won't connect to my computer so having to wait for support for this one!

So as club session probably won't be going ahead Im going to get my run earlier in the day..Im thinking approx 11 miles- 2miles jog up 3 x2 miles fast with recovery (2-3 miutes) then 2 miles jog

• Are you trying to connect it for the first time? or just put the last run on?

I can't remember how I introduced Mr Garmin to Ms Laptop initially (sorry), but if it's the last run you want to put in it, put  the black stick thing in and it should do it automatically and then open Training Center and click on 'recieve from device' the sticky will send info.

If you've already tried this then....sorryimage

• Spinkle and EP- Thanks for all your technical input!    Its the first time I am trying to connect the pen with the lap top and it just won't do it!  Have enabled both devices and everything....im going to try again tonight so fingers crossed!!

• I did my 11 miles outside with 3 x 2 miles effort and had a Lucozade recovery drink straight after- all very refreshing- tropical flavour and you just add water- much more convenient than milk. I was very impressed.

I did enjoy that session weirdly- good to inject a bit of pace into a longer run.

Legs are aching a bit now so will probably swim tomorrow on my rest day...

Hope you all had good days folks??
  • Thats a good session there JBFAR, what sort of pace were you doing on the efforts?

Quite a short session today for me:

1M jog warm up

3M @ 6 min miles (did it in 18:03 on my garmin)

1M Jog cool down

Going to do a steady 10M tomorrow 6:40 - 6:50 min miles, rest Sat and 14 on Sun

• Still to much snow for running around here..

Never felt the need for special recovery drinks, perhaps I'm missing out! 

JBFRA what pace are you managing for the 2m effort bits?