Hastings Half-Marathon

Comments

• I'm in. Found the last couple of miles a real struggle in the heat last year - am hoping it's a bit cooler this time around
  • Johnny,

Just looked at the 30 day forecast - which I know needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. It states:

15/3 to 21/3 Turning unsettled with showers or longer spells of rain pushing across all of the country at times. Windy. Possibly still cold enough in the north for some sleet or snow, especially over higher ground

Be careful what you wish for eh? But likewise, I'm hoping for it to be somewhat cool, I'm one for natures greatest sweaters (i.e I sweat - rather than being like a jumper) and tend to get very hot and actually prefer running in the winter where I don't have to take onboard enough liquid to sink a battleship.

• FC - am similar to you. Being a rather large hairy man who is also a 'sweater' I'd sooner have sunday's TW half marathon conditions than last years Hastings conditions.

I'm still certain that the heat in Berlin last September was what prevented me from breaking 4hrs - well that is my excuse and unless i fail at London in April i'm sticking to it!

• just entered- 3 HM's this month !!- T Wells, Lydd,Hastings gonna be a good month image

• Wayne James wrote (see)

just entered- 3 HM's this month !!- T Wells, Lydd,Hastings gonna be a good month image

Did you enjoy Tunbridge Wells?  I did, and I think it rivals Hastings.  Wonderful route, brilliant medal and teccie t-shirt etc.  Great to have Dame Kelly there as well. 
  • yeah i did enjoy it, who cares about the weather, better than to hot or snow image

teccie t shirt was good and i was impressed by the medal- good stuff image

• I can't wait for Hastings.  It's my first half marathon, so I'm a bit nervous and I haven't been able to run for the last couple of weeks due to a rib injury.  I hope the hilly start is not too taxing, although i'd rather get the uphill out the way at the start if I am honest.  See you all there!  image
  • looks  like well have quite a few club members there
  • this will be my second half tim the tunbridge wells was my first all i can say is dont be nervous, just relax and take in the atmosphere, if twells had 2000 runners the hastings half will be double so the atmosphere will be awsome.

take it easy for the first 6 then check out your time or goal then push on or just take it easy im hoping to beat 1.56 but very hilly ive been told and long hills, challenge though.

i will be there somwhere

• Thanks for the advice Dan.  I am hoping for a similar time, but I can only base myself on 10 miles.  I was planning on a slow start, but that doesn't always happen when you get going!!!

See you there!

• Hi there - ran Hastings last year, my first ever race, and am determined to do to it in 2010 what it did to me in 2009....

i'm coming down from London but can't see any direct trains. Last year we were well served. Anything I've missed?

• can anybody help, i have entered this and got confirmation fro RW, but am not on the entry list, i have emailed the organisers but have not had a reply yet.....
  • I'm not either mate - I am sure it is fine and there is just a bit of a backlog.  Already 9 from Ashford & District confirmed though, so with us and possibly a few others - should be a good club turnout.  I didn't see your dad's name either.  Is he running it?
  • yeah it will be great, dad entered it last nite, roll on the minibus image
  • ive had confirmation by the organisers today, they will beissuing a new entry list soon
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

Anyone want a place for this? I fractured my ankle yesterday so can't run. 

Email me if you want it.  Ta.

• One week to go now, everyone done their hill training?
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    AnthonyQ - also coming down from London. There appears to be a train at 08:23 from Charing X, (08:31 London Bridge) gets in about 10:00, unless there's engineering work I don't know about.
  • 10.00 arrival at hastings station is cutting it fine. you've got to get there and warm up for 10.30 start. if for some reason you can't find a taxi you will struggle.
  • Does anyone know what are the facilities like for bag storage. The web page is not 100% clear on this - is it in the school? Is is secure?

• You can leave your bag in the changing marquee, whch is right next to the start, and is never left unmanned. 
  • YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭

Can you believe it -  I've found out that the three people I was supposed to be running this with have all bailed on me, and I'm the only one still doing this!

As a result, I'm now facing driving down from Epsom on my lonesome, and running solo......

Not happy.....image

• helly - don't worry about the train - the station is 3 min walk from the start area - there is plenty of time to dump your bag (have a dump) and be ready for the start.

frogchild - you can dump a bag in an unsupervised marquee - i would minimise any valuable left in it though - although I have never heard of anything being stolen . . .

goldenoldie - don't worry I will run with you - I shall be the one wearing lycra at the start . . .

see you all tomorrow . . .
  • YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭

Returning to the sub-title of this thread - I now know that the answer is never ending!

I found this very hard work - but not because the hills were steep, it was just that they seemed to last for ever.

Still the crowd support was very impressive, weather was perfect, and I raised £1500 for Cancer Research, so all in all a great day!image

I wish my legs didn't hurt quite as much this morning though.......

GO

• Last year, Hastings was my first ever race and I came it at 2.15, wheezing with asthma. A year on, with the FLM and two more halfs under my belt, I came back to give Queensway what for.

Delighted to report that I came in with a PB at 1:40:27!The speed work at Clapham Runners must be paying off, because I felt like I had an extra gear and stayed in it, chewing up that hill and boucning down the other side.

Thank you Hastings, for the terrific organisation again and for helping me slay a dragon. And well done to everyone who finished.

• did anyone see that guy running it barefoot... crazy.....
  • Yeah I saw him, plenty of spectators also commented on it too. His feet must be a state today...
  • That was hard going yesterday but I loved it and just about got over the line under 2 hours.  The crowd supporting was amazing and kept me going up those long stretches!!

Did anyone see a couple just walking along at the start - it wouldn't have been so bad, but they were right at the front, so everyone had to dodge past them!

Very enjoyable experience!

P.S.  The no shoes guy finshed just in front of me, so there is no way I can complain about sore feet this morning!!!