IMUK/Bolton 2010 training thread

Comments

• wow, even I managed a quick 40 miles today, another 50 tomorrow and the weekend will have been a success, I will be getting back into the swing of training soon, its so hard not to be able to just go out and run when you are injured, swimming and biking takes so much more effort, which is why it felt good to just go out.

Well done to all this week, good point raised by Rich.

'I've managed to just about follow the fink program this week, I missed a 45min bike session because I felt tired so had an extra rest day and felt much better for it. '

Rest and recovery is as important as training if you do it right and well. Listen to your body.

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

2nd swimming lesson today. Today was about rotation...and I was rubbish image. Will really have to focus on my drills this week.  The instructor says I am too tense in my upper body. This may be right....as I really have to focus on untensing when I run and cycle. I don't know why I'm like this because in general I'm a chilled out sort of person!

I managed to get a 2 hr cycle ride out in the fresh air this afternoon- yay!  ( on my old commute bike, not decent bike yet) Again concentrating on keeping my heart rate within correct zone. The route was undulating so the old heart rate did shoot up a bit now and then...and I couldn't avoid some main roads with loads of traffic so that didn't help. But there was an autumnal feel to the air...damp and fresh and very invigorating.

Tomorrow I'm out for a morning run - 12 miles hopefully...and then swim in afternoon.

Slim - maybe its your shift work thats making you feel tired and not the training?  My job- teaching- often knackers me more than training does!

R'max- I too am unable to complete all the suggested swim workouts in Fink's schedules within the hour image. However, at this stage as long as I get the drills done with some wu and cd then that's all I can achieve. My instructor said it is the drills that must take priority at the mo.

• My Birthday today Yipee!!    Managed to get the day off work at the last minute- so tea and toast in bed this morning!

Went for a 10 mile run just now - kept it nice and slow and enjoyed it.

Good training everyone- I think you're right Ladyfe, shift work is partly to blame for my being tired. I'm going to take an extra rest day like Rich next week whatever the schedule says!

I got a pair of the Aqua Sphere Kayenne swimming goggles for my birthday and am really impressed with them.  I havn't tried them in the water as yet but they are smaller than I imagined and the field of vision is excellent. I'll let you know when I've tried them in the pool.

• Slim about once a week i get a realy early night in bed and try to crack at least a solid 8 hours kip it seems to recharge me for the week, also you could plan in two rest days especially if you have a pysical job its ok for me every work days a recovery period once I get sat on my office chair my mate posted a very respectable 11:15 on two rest days a week he runs his own business and just needed two rest days as long as you get the long swim, bike and run sessions in every thing else is stuffing! IF you have a job sat on your @rse like me then I am afraid it's HTFU and JFDI, You aint tired fool! image

On the subject of tiredness  this is where I was coming from when I was preaching caution to IM newbies who did not want to drop their training level we are only in week 3 of base there is a long way to go and it will get much tougher but for me the level of tiredness always seems a constant as the gradual build up compliments the build in your endurance base and the body adapting two workouts a day/early mornings etc

Training wise:

beautiful cold sunny morning got outside and the roads wer very frosty/icy a very slow cautious two hour group ride a few slides but no one came off binned my run as I was so cold but I will crack it in this evening when i have digested sunday roastimage  

• x post Happy birthday Slimimage
  • Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Did my 12 mile lsr this morning. Quite chilly but not frosty at all although I needed gloves.  Felt good and hydrated.  As I'm doing  VLM I'm trying to stick to my Hal Higdon schedule of runs until April ....although I do miss out his Saturday run in favour of bike and swim.  However I am heeding advice and using the VLM as my B race and therefore won't be expecting a great time.

Going to reschedule the swim session to Tues eve and try an early one also on Fri morning.  The reason for this is that I have a pile of marking to do imageand the impact on my stress levels will be too great if I don't get it done - it will have such a knock on effect for the rest of the week that its simply not worth it. Doesn't help that I promised my students they would get their grades this week! 

Tomorrow is my rest day although my rest days do always include some slow cycling as I use my bike for commuting- but its good active recovery.

Happy birthday Slim indeed! image

•  Every minute of this week's training has been wet!

A few bits and pieces Monday to Wednesday, long run of 16 miles in 2hrs 10, 1 hr bike afterwards in the rain on Thursday. Then drizzly 3 hr 15 bike for 57 miles in the hills on Friday, with an hour's swim in the evening, 1 hr 30 empty stomach run Saturday morning in the rain, and the same on the Bike this morning's deluge.  Still - I suppose you never really dry out in a tri do you?

That's 3 weeks in now, each longer in total, with slightly longer 'long' sessions than the one before. First rest week of the campaign coming up - so I've managed 13 hours this week and will drop to 8 in the coming week. I'll do one hard track session tomorrow then a couple of 10 mile jogs, short bikes and a couple of technique/drills session in the pool.

• BtB- thats an awful lot of training.  I thought I was doing quite well .  I am up to 30 mile bike rides at the moment - do you think I ought to up it a bit?

• SS - We are all starting from different places. Don't look at me for comparison - I'm making it up as I go along!

In truth I'm only a bit above 'ticking over' at the moment. I've started  a bit early, but I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have over May/June this year. I'm getting it 'in the bank' for the moment in the hope that I won't lose too much if I get busy at work and home in the early summer.

If you're raising the bar a bit each week, hitting 100 miles on the bike by May and 3 hour runs by about the same time, you'll be fine.

And happy birthday - shouldn't you be out on the tiles by now?

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭
    cor - thats some training BTB image. However, I guess you know what you are doing!  I'm quite happy with my progress so far so will faithfully follow the scheduled bike build -ups.  I have only done 21 miles as my longest ride but it didn't knacker me at all so know I can progress easily to some longer rides fairly soon image. Sorry you had a soggy weekimage
  • quick interject before the first newbie error of the new year starts.

Do not look at someone elses training and try to compare what you are doing, everyone has a different starting point as BtB pointed out, its a personal thing but there will be target goals to achieve depending on which race you do, these are all worked out from the race date and the time you have.

For example getting the swim distance done, you can do this every week from now to the race but the target goal will be to complete the distance say 3 times before the event, its normally a confidence thing.

These forums are great to let people know what you are doing but it shouldn't move to a 'shite I am not doing enough' worry fest.

If you have a plan and you are sticking to it then try to re evaluate the goals once a month to make sure that you are not under achieving either, its a fine balance but as a newbies its a very wide beam you are stood on and you have a lot of leeway to just get round, the more experienced people will have a narrower beam to stand on and if you push one way or the the other too much too early you will fall off hard, injury is the evil in this, stay injury free and you will have a great chance to complete 'consistant' training, this is the key.

Build up slowly and recover well.

• Thanks for the advice.  On reflection I am happy with my current level of training and my goal is to simply to get round.

I do mutter to myself 'consistency consistency' as i do each session and so far am happy with how i have managed to fit training into 'normal' life.

Decided just to do a swim today. try out my new goggles in the pool!

BTB - My days of out on the tiles seem a long way behind me now. Too much wine and the only tiles I see are the bathroom ones!

• Happy belated birthday SS image

Good and bad week weekend for me. Swimming lesson on fri eve 45 min continuous swim 2 lengths front crawl then one length breastroke, which was fine. I seem to panic a little when I swim, I know from experience when I run it takes me about 20 mins to settle down and this seems to happen in the pool too but I've never really been aware of that and always just stopped when it got a bit tough.

Went out on my bike for the first time this year and I'd forgotten how truly awful I am, I dont even know how my gears work, I did a hilly 40 mins on sat then another hily 20 mins on sunday, more to try to get the hang of the gears I'm fine on the flat but realy need to practice so it becomes second nature. The just get around plan had 30 mns down for this weekend so although I'm a little disheartened I'm still on track. The bike will def be my weakness just need to get on with it.. On the upside changed my first innertube alone image

11 Mile run Sunday morning which was fine and legs feel fine today which is good as 3 miler planned for lunchtime and then spin class this eve (was hoping to be on the turbo by now but the one I ordered is out of stock have had to cancel and re-order with wiggle so hopefully have it by the weekend)

I must admit I have been a bit guilty of looking at everyones training and panicking that I'm not doing enough but I have stuck to the just finish plan (kind of) and seem to be doing ok.  

Happy training image

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Piran- I'm waiting until payday  (Thursday )until I order my turbo---funds have run dry.image But Wiggle are super quick and I hope by middle of next week I should have one. Haven't decided which model yet...probably the Cyclops one..... Regarding swimming - I too find the first half of a swim session tougher than the second half for some reason. Well done for mastering the innertube image.

I really did enjoy being out in the open air again on the bike on the weekend. The only thing that spoilt it for me was the amount of traffic which meant I couldn't really relax. I ended up 'exploring' a different road  because I couldn't face going round this big roundabout....so took first exit....went gradually downhill for ages and ages, then came to an even bigger roundabout and therefore had to cross over and come all the way up the very long hill again!  Ended up in very low gear but managed to do it.

I am rethinking my cycling times i.e  very early morning longer sessions for relatively traffic free roads

The one thing I need to do more is swimming - and thats the one thats difficult to fit in with my work timetable and availability of swim sessions.   There are masters classes at 6am but I think I'm too slow to join them yet.....

Great to have Iron Rose peeking in and keeping an eye on things. imageI think that maybe I could probably extend my longer ride to 30 miles or so pretty soon as I do cycle regularly ( daily in fact) so do have basic cycling fitness.

This is how I'm using my schedules plan. 'Just finish' schedule for swimming. 'Intermediate' schedule  for bike and Intermediate for run combined a bit with  Hal Higdon marathon schedule ( actually that means just doing longer run on weekends than Fink suggests). Sounds confusing but I think it could work for me.

• Missed the alarm this morning had to shoot out of bed and straight on the turbo did my waking up at 19 mph for 75% HRimage 45 mins later quick shower, porridge whizz into work just made it on time, nice technique based 45 min swim tonight was going to run to the sea front and do some core stuff at lunch but forgot my shorts in the rush this morningimage very cold n slippy in darkest Cornwall
  • Snotty headcold this morning- think I'll sit out training for todayimage
  • Slim

If its a cold and not a fever I like to wrap up warm and turbo at a medium lick as long as I can stand to get a good sweat on and make my body a crap place for a cold to live image I also drink stacks of Orange juice, medically probably a load of b0llocks but works for me

• Max - just taken your advice and done 1hr turbo at a nice medium pace.  It actually felt good and I could have continued but decided not to chance my luck anymore.  Feel better for having done it.

• Glad to have been of helpimage works for me, also very good for bad hangovers! horrible at first imagebut once those endorphins kick in natures painkillerimage

Dr RMaximage

• 45 mins swimming tonight tried to focus on bilateral breathing swallowed a few gallons but was starting to get the drift of it and some decent balanced rotation towards the end also my kick drills are still woefull but at least I am going forward i used to go backward very embarrasingimage

mid week lay in tomorrow  alarm set for 5:40 blissimage 45 min lunchtime run and evening swim planned

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

ran easy run home from work tonight- about 3.1 miles. Quick munch then realised that because I had run home, my bike was still at work so therefore would have to walk to the swimming pool. image.  Then realised I couldn't even get the bus back as I'd left my oyster card at work also and had no cash on me image. However, all good cross- training I tell myself. In the pool I tried to focus on my kick from the glutes in the drills and also the rotation. However rotation was only one sided tonight as I can't do bilateral breathing yet . I have a feeling that swim progress is going to be a long time coming image

To end my evening I lost a sock in the changing rooms ....so had to walk home in the cold with one foot sockless.  Just had bowl of porridge and now off to bed

6 mile loop run to work in morning and then a bike session in the evening tomorrow

• ladyfe thats what ironman is all about! contigency planning and overcoming obstaclesimage still got your workout in 90% of peeps would'nt have botheredlooks like you will have no probs!
  • Another very snotty hour done on the turbo!  The turbo has been a godsend to me.  last year with this cold I would have felt i had to stop training as I dont want to go to a gym and the thought of running/cycling outside does not appeal.

Hoping to be fit for a longish run and cycle at the weekend- work permitting

• I agree with you slimshady - my turbo trainer kept things ticking over nicely whilst we had the snow. I'm looking to do a long run on saturday. i have a lovely route near me which takes you into the countryside. The 17 mile loop does actually pass by quite easily as the scenery takes the mind away from the constand pounding of the tarmac.
  • Also, do you get a certificate or anything when you finish an Ironman?
  • Jignog - you get a medal, some cornish pasties, a warm inner glow, and a big credit card bill.

Rumours that it makes you a better person, irresistible to your chosen gender and a fascinating conversationalist are, sadly, unproven. Especially the last one.

•  

jignog wrote (see)
    Also, do you get a certificate or anything when you finish an Ironman?
    Jignog
    You get something much more precious

You get the right to roll your eyes when someone asks you to sponsor them for "just" a half marathon as you just cracked 14 miles that morning as your first training session of the day.

Also you get the right to bore the living t!ts off everyone who is daft enough to ask you about it until the day you turn up your toes

Additionally you also get the chance to brand your body with a symbol that makes it look like you are sponsored by Morrisons supermarketsimage

• I need to change gym  There are now 4 M-Dots cluttering up the place !!! Much too common
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see

I need to change gym  There are now 4 M-Dots cluttering up the place !!! Much too common
    Someone at the pool today had the IM Bolton backpackimage

Is Ironman becoming the new push your limits challenge like marathons seemed to be a few years back?