YES!!!

Comments

• Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

Mimicked the race conditions as much as possible this morning. Set off just before 8am & looped round to collect some Powerade on the 2nd lap.

I was just wondering how you "collected the Powerade" - shop / home (you've mentioned stopping off at home before on your longer runs)?   Or did you leave it somewhere en route?

Whatever my target distance is, I would only consider that I'd done it if I did the full distance without stopping. 

• A compliment JM?? Your getting soft mate!! image
  • D2D - well done on a good run. 

As others have said a PB is a race result over a properly measured course, against a field that you race with.  I hope you can get that result at MK.

I'm a bit worried about your perception of a Long Slow Run though.  Do you count this run as one?  If you're doing those times on a slow run then that's amazing.  If it's a time trail then great.  I hope the rest of your LSRs aren't at that pace otherewise injury will find you.

• CJBA wrote (see)
    Whatever my target distance is, I would only consider that I'd done it if I did the full distance without stopping. 
    By that measure I have practically never completed a training run or even a race in my life. image

Running, breathing and drinking all at the same time is just too much of a challenge for me image
  • Kernel Sanders  - would he be related to Colonel Sanders by any chance?

Correcting others when you can't spell yourself just makes you look dumb.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Kernel Sanders  - would he be related to Colonel Sanders by any chance?

Correcting others when you can't spell yourself just makes you look dumb.

Bit of a corny mistake to makeimage.   (I'll get my coatimage).

Lisa K wrote (see)
    CJBA wrote (see)
    By that measure I have practically never completed a training run or even a race in my life. image

Running, breathing and drinking all at the same time is just too much of a challenge for me image
    Each to his own, but that's the way I do it.
  • I'm with Lisa on stopping. I managed a 3:15:54 at Rotterdam with a wee stop and walking through several drinks stations. That's a marathon as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I would have gone sub 3:15 if I had have managed without the wee but I can't seem to train my bladder like I can my lungs and legs image
  • Nice. Will you be applying?

It is Colonel Sanders because he is the guy on the logo - and  was a real person.

http://www.kfc.com/about/colonel.asp

You might want to memorise this if you are going for the job by the way . It might give you the edge over the other applicants.

You couldn't make it up!

Look what I just found...

Your Kernel needs YOU

You couldn't make up what? That people work in KFC? They have managers? Some people have real jobs, not imaginary ones??????
  • Jokerman wrote (see)

Why do you keep calling it a LSR?? Do you actually know what these letters mean?

No she doesn't....  I cant remember now which board I saw it on but somebody had started a thread to ask the question "What does LSR stand for?"  To be informed by D2D that it stood for Long Scheduled Run.
  • It matters because to avoid injury it should be slow...........I know your rightly pleased with your time.but if you try to replicate this week after week you will be extremely lucky to avoid injury and you will definitely have a slower marathon time......

don't let the euphoria of the run  override your common sense.....

• In your picture - it's on a track, right?

Where abouts?...the lanes look HUGE...or are you just really small image

Just wondering....

• Fast enough to make me happy thanks. image

I see where you're coming from but I'm not going to run my Sunday training runs ultra-slowly just because of a definition.

IMO, there seems too much of a tendency on here for people to 'take it easy' - obviously I know this is to avoid injuries, but still you have to strike the right balance between work & play & push yourself. To quote the great Mark Twain:

'Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great makes you believe that you too can become great'

It's not about a definition, or about belittling anybody's ambitions, it's about the type of training you do. To substitute "scheduled" for "slow" just completely misses the point of what these runs are for.

Just pick up a semi-decent running training manual and understand a bit about what you are actually doing to your body with each type of training run, and you'll probably improve heaps. Continue to ignore all the good advice that people are trying to give you, and you'll never achieve your full potential.

• Fascinating stuff. 9 mins off on a half marathon distance is an impressive achievement.

Presumably your last half marathon D2D you were racing hard ? Its amazing that you can now do a half marathon distance comfortably and still smash your pb by so much.

And as a writer - I would have thought that you would be pretty clear on the difference between 'slow' and 'scheduled' - its simple things like missing that that are the difference between a decent schedule and an injury.
  • Why not everyone just leave D2D alone to do what she wants to do - does it matter to you personally whether she gets injuries or not doing what she wants? From the entries above I gathered she has her own ideas about training and not going to listen to others' opinions/experiences anyway, so just leave her to her own devices and let her progress how she wishes to progress (or not).  Nobody needs to get all worked up by her 'non-compliance' of the norms... Sounds to me she's doing OK whatever she's doing...

Long Scheduled Run/Long Slow Run - what does it matter?
    It matters because your "definition" is tautology, which any writer worth his/ her salt would find abhorrent.
  • Runnaholic......true.....but if she didn't want responses to her threads she would stop posting them......she would just write it down in a big diary...........

this thread follows from the thread that she is going to train seriously now to get a sub 3:30 thread.........now unless you wanted advice on how to do that..........why would you start a thread stating that you were going to do it.........

or maybe I have missed the idea of the threadsimage