Sunday 1st June 2003

Comments

• Well done BR, That's a perfectly ok result for a "C" one
  • BT revives Hippo with mouth to mouth!

I was'nt a boy scout for no reason
  • Cheers Tim `OK' is about how I feel about it.

There'll be better days and worse days.

It was a nice event, plenty of crowds etc, town centre for much of it.
  • oooh, waht happened??

BT, what on EARTH did you get up to in the scouts??:)
  • Well there were girl guides!
  • You had JOINT meetings
    we werent allowed
    i was a patrol leader you know(Blue tits)
  • I was leader of Pewitt Patrol
  • My first patrol was the swallows!
  • Hi!

what: run around the trim trail at the gym. ( a grass track of about 800m . Run for about 1h 30m.

Stickless, I am sorry to hear that you are not well. Hope to see you running again soon!

Have a great day!
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Don't know but it sounds like a good run to me BR! And 13th is 13th. Getting perilously close to single digits. I'd take that. Any rate, it sounds hot but fun.
  • Back from "run to the pub" ! Hic!

The 9 miles had alot more uphill than down - thats the trouble with Gloucestershire, and crikey it was hot!

Great pub tho, great roast beef and yorkshire pud, followed by essential sticky toffee pud afterwards to replenish carbohydrates and some nice red wine to rehydrate!!

I think I better have a nap now!
  • Well done barnsleyrunner! I wanted to come to watch it but had tiling to do (still doing it, groan) in bathroom, plus lots of pencils needed sharpening, etc! Life is never dull here!

Did Mark do the marathon? Been looking for results, but I suppose they'll be out on the net later.

Off for a run soon, been waiting for the heat to die off; I'm NOT a good heat runner, as we all know! Waiting for a bit of rain to muddy up the woods!

See you later! (enjoy school tomorrow!)
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Corner turned. Having spent much of today flat, got up, discovered things were perceptably improved. Decided not to find out if I could walk, put trainers on and shuffled* out the door.

Shuffled about a mile and a bit. Walked back without too much stumbling and staggering. Learned some things:

The stiffness that comes with a couple of days off makes it seem worse.

It is possible to run before I can walk.

Therefore, on bad days, try shuffling first.

And wassting time on forums can be very useful at times!

*That gait, which, slower than a jog, is normally reserved for the over 80's.
  • Good news stickless!
  • Back to a pre-breakfast 10 miles after a 4-day layoff to get rid of a pesky sore throat virus.

I'm finding that going out before breakfast is working well at weekends - up, splash myself awake, kit on, hot drink, cold drink, loo, out. No time to think.

Otherwise - up, splash, breakfast and drinks, calculate an hour to digest breakfast, time for another coffee, post and/or newspapers arrive, start reading, might as well have another cuppa, spouse gets up, conversation, oops it's nearly lunchtime...

Besides - got to get my act together on the longer runs as I have now entered an 18 mile Alpine trail race when I'm on holiday in July. Oops again.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done BR!

Glad to see you back up and about Stickless!

Had a great long run of 16 miles this morning. 4 big hills and plenty of coast views in ideal weather conditions. I really love runs like this!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Well done BR, that is a splendid effort in warm conditions.

I have just endured one of the hottest races I have ever taken part in, the Thirsk 10. The 2pm start did not help of course, the sun seemed very high in the sky. One year I did this race it was cool and wet and parts of the course were waterlogged! No danger of that today. As the race unfolded I guessed the temperature to be in the mid-high 70's out in the open.

Not a day for PB's or heroics then. The course is thankfully flat, I would normally go for 65-66 mins but I could tell by mile three that the heat was already taking it's toll on most runners. I went through 5 miles in 33:30 but dropped my target to 68 mins. Even at this slower pace I counted 16 runners who I overtook in the second half, only 1 runner passed me. By now it seemed to be baking temperature, even the normally welcome breeze was warm.

Grinded out the last few miles, finished in 68:40 which was OK. Everyone I spoke to after the race was at least 2 minutes slower than their potential time. This was a hot conditions endurance test, and frankly everyone of any standard who finished this race today deserved their race T-Shirt and bottle of beer.

Congratulations to Mark Harris who finished in just over 66 mins. We spent 45 mins together after the race trying to stop sweating!
  • Well done Wardi. It sounds as we had similar sorts of races, lowering our sights due to the conditions and having a relatively strong 2nd half.

As we were leaving the Don Valley Stadium at about 1.30pm I said to my clubmate, `Aren't you glad you decided to run a half marathon at 9am rather than the Thirsk 10 at this time'?
  • LynneW
    Are you going to Davos & doing the race there?
    I did one a few years ago now but can't remember the name of it.
    Also did the 5K night race.
    All excellent & fantastic round the lake.
  • Just to confirm what Wardi said about Thirsk .. the heat was murder.Bust a gut trying for a pb when sense should have told me it was never going to be a day for that.
    Must admit the ice cold lager in the pub afterwards was far more enjoyable than the race!
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Wow what a long thread. Haven't read it all yet so apologies if I only congratuate Barnsley on his half. I know that it might not be a great time for you mate but the fact that you can say that about that time is a real achievement (if you see what I mean).

Wasn't going to post my training for a bit but couldn't keep away.

What - Mile and a bit out to track, 4*1600s with 800 recovery and then 3.5 miles at 7 pace upping to more like 6.30s as I went on, felt pretty strong. Then watched Alison in the Sinfin 10k (anyone that was there I was the guy with all the kids at the finish).

Well I have an exam tomorrow morning for my p/t course - revision hasn't gone that well due to mental state (that is not that I am mad but just had other stuff on my mind - although madness can not be ruled out in the future!) but should be able to get enough for the grade I need, if not well I hear the checkout at Morrisons always has jobs going.

• Evening All

Raced Today Sharon Daniels 5 Miler in New Eltham.

Managed a new five mile PB in 36:08. Was aiming to go a bit quicker but the weather is too hot for me.

Well Done Everyone on Your Efforts Today!
  • Well done Longlegs, a pb in this heat is excellent. Sorry I haven't posted on training for a few days I haven't done any, can't seriously continue to count gardening. But today did an open water swim of maybe 3 quarters of a mile, very early. Managed front crawl throughout- albeit a strange version as I needed to see where I was heading. Should be able to get into it a bit now asI have evenings free.
  • Barnsley - sounds like a good effort even if nowhere near your PB. Once the temperature gets past 20C, PB's over that sort of distance get that much more difficult anyway.

Also a great effort Wardi for the same reason....
    ...and Longlegs - a 5 mile PB is great stuff.

Found today that 2 sessions in a day isn't a good idea (for me) if the second one is meant to be a speed session. The run with Matthew this morning (along with vacuuming & washing car, cutting grass & various other stuff this afternoon) left my legs feeling very flat.
    Halfway thru the first mile began to fear I wouldn't get thru the session unless I mixed it up a bit. Ended up doing 4 efforts as usual off 1/3rd mile jog recoveries, but their lengths were, respectively, 1 and 2/3rd miles, 2/3rd mile, 1 mile, 2/3rd mile.
    Each of the efforts was at under 6 minute mile pace as hoped for - but my legs had better feel a bit livelier come Wednesday evening.
  • Hi all!

Not posted for a bit cos of visitors and work and things but have been lurking and just skim read this thread ....

Today - 22 miles in 3.08 about 10% of which was off road and v. hilly. Felt OK, just very, very, boring. Managed to start a dog fight though by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And saw lots of nesting Whooper swans and little ducklings ... aaaah. Weather rubbish here.

Followed this with a pathetic attempt at climbing, and a 750 metre swim.

Last hard - Yesterday (5 x mile reps)
    Last rest - Friday (but swum in hot springs)

Well done all you racers. The pub run sounds excellent HR - oh what fun! And looking forward to hearing about your marathon plans Stickless.
  • Congratulations racers.

Was hot conditions this morning. Did Woodhall Spa Half on the back of 2 weeks of very little running due to injured knee. So, although time was reasonably dissapointing, the fact that I got around without any problems with my knee was very pleasing.
  • Well done Longlegs - a pb in this weather!!

Popsider, please keep posting your training. I may be sad (may you say??) but I like to read how people are getting on and what sort of sessions you are doing. I pick up a lot from here. I hope others do too.

Mike - could you have got through to full miles @ 6m/m pace?

Also a question for you swimmers...

Took kids swimming this pm. Mrs BR was with them and they were playing nicely so I went in the lane swimming but to try some breaststroke.

I got bad cramps on the soles of both feet. This has happened mildly before but was quite painful today. Maybe cos I'd run a half earlier?

As soon as I switched to front crawl the pain subsided.

What causes it?

No posting yet from Drew? He seemed cool, calm and collected at the end of the Sheffield Half.