VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Could run home from the food festival on Sunday I suppose Rod, that's just under 9.  Plus I'll have been on my feet all day.

Lostkat that sounds like a plan, Annie's Chocolate Emporium will probably have the perfect training aid, thanks!

Wahoo, Sunday dinner's ready, have good evenings allimage 

• Hash running back from work is hard core image

Enjoy your evening  both of you image

• Evening All,

Some good running on here, well done everyone.  No run for me today.  Had some friends up, so instead of running past the pub like I've done every Sunday since January, I went in for a big feed and a few pints - very nice! image.

Feeling a bit fat now, but back to running big style this week.

• Scuba that is what life is all about image
  • Do any of you watch 'Lost'????? I'm seriously confused and need some input/opinions as last episode EVER coming up!!!

Gels???? YUK!!!!!! didn't have a single one since @008 London marathon and did just fine without!! Can't do all this processed additives gloop. Give me plain proper food thanks!

So what and where is this half marathon? 9:30 pace sounds v doable can I come too??
  • its over suffolk way Pinks The Brandon Forest Half marathon I never even looked its only a 300 capacity race which sold out last year so best get your entry in..

Whats Lost?

• I entered South Downs 2 years ago in the aftermath of my London disaster as I needed a marathon to enjoy.  My longest run in the intervening 8 weeks was just short of 16 miles and I finished in around 5.25 against my then  road pb of 4.55.  I did enjoy it too image

Chocolate?  My 4 a night obviously work image

Rest tomorrow before an all out 5K attack on Tuesday night

• Rod Goodwin wrote (see)

Aww Thanks Hash, yes Lostkat that is fast may be a 5 miler but that is quick. image

If this was still the sub 4.30 thread we would be promoting you to the sub 4 image

Noooo, don't make me go in there... it's scary image Besides, I like being in here so I'm STAYING!! My next goal is sub-4 for Leics in October, but we'll see. Eventually I'd like to make 3h50 and get GFA so I can have an automatic London place. I'm not sure if it's achievable yet, but 13 minutes off my London doesn't seem so very far away.

Hashette wrote (see)

Could run home from the food festival on Sunday I suppose Rod, that's just under 9.  Plus I'll have been on my feet all day.

Lostkat that sounds like a plan, Annie's Chocolate Emporium will probably have the perfect training aid, thanks!

Wahoo, Sunday dinner's ready, have good evenings allimage 

I just googled for Annie's Chocolate Emporium and wished I hadn't. I'm VERY glad I live a long way away from there, otherwise I'd be in every day. The place looks incredible!! My OH had to pull me kicking and screaming away from all the amazing chocolate shops when we went to France last year.

Bridget is that 4 bars a night or 4 squares? image White, milk or dark? Might have to try it. Purely for research purposes of course.
  • morning all its the early stary for me today, legs feel fine after the 10 yesterday which is great, catch ou all later.
  • Morning all! Glad your legs feel alright today Rod. Mine are a little wobbley after my pathetic 5 yesterday, lol. A session of stretching is required tonight I think.

• Lostkat that pace was many things, but certainly not pathetic!

Glad the legs are behaving Rod

A little muttering came from the grumbly knee yesterday, so I'm foruming on ice but will be fine for tomorrow night.  Not surprising really - Parkrun on Saturday morning, danced my feet off on Saturday night, then did 6 miles with the hashers after 3 hours clamped into a seat on a train, plus all those stairs at Finsbury Park

Blouse is mourning the passing of Ronnie James Dio.   Looks like we won't be seeing him at the High Voltage Festival in July

And with that, Monday revs into action.  Hopefully after next weekend I can have my life back!

*waves*

• Hey everybody, hoping this week will be better than last with work stress etc.  The stress lead to eating all the wrong things for me and feeling awful most of the weekend so determined not to let it get the better of me this week!

Wow Lostkat that is a fab pace and you too Rod!!  Has h you did brilliantly considering the travelling, dancing etc so a little grumble from the knee not too surprising - is the ice working and are you still seeing physio etc?

Lostkat is it you who is into cooking?  Someone said they had a good focacia bread recipe (the one I tried i didn't like too much) and I can't remember who it was!  Also looking for a good souffle recipe recomendation - I tried out Raymond Blancs comte cheese one yesterday - tasted lovely and very light but just didn't look the part for serving up for friends.  Also tried a new satay recipe which is fabulous, v yummy!image 

• Morning all - total mileage at the weekend = 0.image No injuries, just other comitments which I have neglegted since January and have promised the OH that running is not to dictate the weekend for a while.

Lovely sunny day today and just blagged the afternoon off as I worked Sat am.  Can't decide if I will do a steady 10km, try for a fast 5km or just have a potter about trying a few intervals and a few hills.

On the subject of Lost - I watched the first series but gave up after a couple of the second series.

Catch you all later.

• Wow some fab running.

A great pb Hash!!!!  Well on the road to recovery now I hope.

And Rod!!  Amazing!

And Lostkat! 

I didn't run but did do 30 miles on the bike.  Did the first section just over a minute quicker than I have done it before so that gives me a bit of confidence for Bala.  The rest slowed my average because I was on a cycle path/footpath and pedestrians with their kids, buggies and trikes have right of way.  So just enjoyed being on the bike (and no falling off episodes either image)

Mark - was looking at my cycling magazines and you could do a lot worse than the Boardman bikes.  They have a great spec and get good reviews in all the mags.

• How is your bruise Rio?  Glad you stayed on the bike and no falling off this weekend!
  • Nearly gone now Pinks.  The last bit of deep bruise has surfaced so much better.  Still a bit numb in the middle but I survived!  lol
  • Phew, 5 minutes to breathe.  Had a quick and very therapeutic lurk on D2D's latest thread in General.  Pringle, anyone?image

Glad the bruise is on the mend Rio

Suze have a great and well-deserved afternoon off.

Pinks hope you have a better week.  Mine has revved up to epic proportions, but this time next week it will be all over bar the sweeping up. 

I seem to be heading for the dark side.......  got as far as asking the cyclist in the office to recommend a good entry level "proper" bike, as opposed to the Miss Marple jobbie I currently have.  How much????   Any suggestions/tips on how to find the right thing would be really welcome, I haven't got a clue.  May as well go on e-bay and look for second hand entry-level space rockets! 

• Oh I must pop over to her threads.  I haven't lurked on a good rant thread for ages!!!

Ok you are in the right place for "the dark side" and recommendations!!!
    Price pretty much depends on your budget and what you want to do with it.   In other words are you looking to do sportives or other road race type events (duathlons etc) or do you want to be able to go off road sometimes?

As I suggested for Mark - the Boardman range has a good reputation but the Specialized Dolce Triple had really good reviews in the latest mag.   I have a Specialized and love it (not that model though) and I have a friend who has used that model for years commuting to work and doing a few local events.  Price about £550 for this years model but you might get a 2009 model still a bit cheaper.  Most important thing is fit though so if you can get to a local bike shop to try a few that is a good idea

• Hi all its been quite busy here today! I have only just got back from work, more to do yet.

I am determined to have all my kit for Bedford tomorrow night sorted out today so I won't need to rush about tomorrow. image

I'm looking forward to the race, I hope I can get round at a reasonable (for me) pace but I will enjoy it whatever.

A good cycle Rio, I'm sure Bala will be ok, could you tell me what the distances are as I am a bit of an ignoramus in this area !

Hash don't work too hard and Suze enjoy your afternoon off.

• Generally a HIM is about 1.2mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run but Bala is a bit longer in the swim and shorter in the run

• Thanks Rio that is what I thought 56 miles on a bike that sounds a lot!
  • Will give the Boardman a look when I go to Chesterfield next and try out one. Cheapest all carbon you can get I think aren't they. The Wiggle Verenti looks a good bike too though abit dearer.

Haven't run all weekend as had a sore hip after last weeks fast runs so just ate choclate, cheese and cider oh what fun...........cycled it to work.

Will run tomorrow if sore bits better.

What time do you do 1.2 mile swim in RIO?  Thats quite a distance.......

• In the pool I can do it in about 42 minutes in open water it takes me about 48 (I have no idea why but I am slower in ow)
  • Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me cutting in on your thread.

Its amazing to read how you have all met and formed a great friendship and its all down to Running!

I know you have been discussing all meeting up again and completing a marathon in October, I wanted to suggest ours!

The Standard Chartered Jersey Marathon is taking place on Sunday 3rd October.  We would love for you to join us here on our little Island for an amazing event.

I realise you may all think its quite a hike, but its actually not as far as you think! A short 1 hour flight in most cases.

You can register online now at: www.jersey-marathon.com

There are links on our website which direct you to all the airlines flying into Jersey and a list of our partner hotels.

Definitely worth the trip if I do say so myself! This year is our 5th year and we are hoping to make it the biggest yet!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate in getting in contact. My email is: contact@jersey-marathon.com

I will hopefully see you all in October!

Lisa

• Takes me about forty mins to do a km but its a small pool and I am only doing breast stroke.

Still working on the crawl.............

Got the GNR thanks Lisa at the end of Sept and Jersey is abit expensive to stay there. Nice island though.

• Get some 121 lessons for the crawl Mark.  It really helps.  I am still very slow but am more economical than I was.  I started doing breast stroke for my first tris because it was so manic but now I am more used to it crawl is easier (especially in a wetsuit!) image
  • Will do on Wednesday when I am at the pool.

• So will you be joining us at Regensberg next year then Mark? image
  • Lostkat - 4 chocs out of which ever box I have on the go or an equivalent amount off a bar image

Hash - I keep meaning to email you but not quite getting to it.  Sorry.  image  

• Hi everyone image Sorry not up to date with all your news but sounds like  lot of good running going on image

I have a problematic 16year old (even more problematic than is usual for 16year olds!!!) and energy levels are low image So Bala training not going quite to plan! However I managed a respectable 54mins for a 10k on Sun and didnt feel exhausted, so happy with that. After a draining morning today I decided to get out for a while and cycled for 2hours going in whatever direction took my fancy until I felt a bit better and was calmer. Going to Body pump tonight.

Hash is my quick read right you are going for  a Half marathon? Great stuff if so! image