PUMA Hellrunner: Hell Up North (Morning Glory)

Comments

• Aliglobetreck, it really all depends from person to person how much longer this takes you than a "normal" 11 or 12 mile race. You could be really fast on a flat road HM, then end up walking Hellrunner as you're not prepared, so take ages! But someone who does lots of road, trail & fell races may not be more than 15 - 20 mins longer than usual. Just don't worry about how long it takes. No-one will stop you. Just keep going.

Hi again Soup.

John, that's exactly how it is! We all want to get round as fast as possible, but time doesn't really matter that much.

• NIght night everyone image

See you tomorrow image enjoy and have fun!

• Yeah, good luck folks. image
  • good morning..............

i'm injured so  not running, but i'm going to be there today at the top of the big hill.  i  know it well and look forward to see how you all get on. 

good luck.

• Just getting ready to go so a quick good luck to everyone! image
  • morning all ! ... looks like we've got a lovely day for it ... just need to find my arm-bands then about to set off .. good luck everyone and have fun!
  • What a brilliant race. I had soooooo much fun!!!

Was really pleased to finish in 2.18 which was only 2 minutes slower than my HM time image

I wonder how far it was? The Garmin only said 14.5 km but it may have lost signal several times under the tree coverage.

This race is a must for next year  image

• That was tough and completely shattered me, i was struggling at the end. Such a different ball game to anything i've done before and well worth the experience.

I didnt catch my time when I finished image so not sure what i did.

I reckon it was at the bottom end distance wise as I estimate my time to be no more than 2:30 ish. I think if it was 11 or 12 miles theres no way i'd have done that with the amount of walking I did!

• ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hooked - defo doing it again next year! image

• Does anyone know how long the race was today ?  I finished in abour 1 hour 30, I think, but wouldn't swear to it.  Awesome run, was giggling all the way round, top fun
  • PlookPlook ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a great event, i loved it, though not falling twice in the Bog of Doom and getting mud in my eyes.

When will the results be available?

This is my second event and i was pleased with my time of 1.34. If anyone is interested here is my gps data for the event:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/55841893

The race was 8.79 miles according to me Garmin. At 7.5 mile someone told me it was a 12 mile event and my heart sank.

Tom

• I reckon no more than 10 miles. It was far easier than the previous 4 years I've done it. Presumably cos of having it again in the afternoon. Still good fun, but disappointing compared to other years.
  • PlookPlook ✭✭✭
    Saab Salomon Turbo X in Sheffield was much harder.
  • Did the Hell up North event today and having done it 4 years ago was very disappointed in its length. It was less than 9 miles (and yet advertised as 10-12) and so I don’t feel that I can compare it to the previous event and I also feel like it was all too easy compared to before. I think they have diluted it down and would not enter again. Its felt easier all round and I have trained less this time in the lead up. I will be hunting something out that is actually a proper 2hr'ish challenge rather than this in future.
  • I loved it, will definitely be back next year, might well try Hell in the Middle too in Staffordshire, not much further from me.
    Came very close to leaving my trainer in the bog of doom, there was one poor guy trying to fish his out as I went through.
    My Garmin said 13.8k, as someone said coverage could have been lost under trees at times but seems like around 9 miles. Looking at my Garmin just as we got back on to the field I was expecting to do that uphill loop again, wasn't looking forward to that! 1-27-41 for me, great event!
  • One of the water people said that it was a bit over 10 miles. This is the 3rd time i have done it. It was definately shorter but the water and boggy bits seemed alot longer. This is the first time i actually enjoyed it. Am still not totally clean despite shower and bath
  • I did 1.55 and loved it. I reckon it was no more than 9 maybe less. I think they should have been cruel and put you around that killer hill section again. I did cramp up after coming out of the bog of doom - we waited ages to get into it and then the cooling down process of going through it didn't help. My friend did 1.24 so must have been shorter than last year looking at his time.

I still smell of iron after a bath and shower!!

Jane

• PlookPlook ✭✭✭
    Distance was 8.79 Miles.
  • I thought it seemed short but  had no timing device or GPS on me so was unsure. I was convinced at the end we would need to go up the big hill again and round to the finish.. i was pleased when we didnt as I was knackered, but I feel a little short changed now.

However, still enjoyed it immensely. Its a great challenge for someone of my level (a plodder!). Not sure i'd do it again tho.

I thought the organisation at the start was poor. I didnt even know there were two waves until an exasperated PA announcement.. think i must have missed his first announcement when at the toilets. This is the sort of info required in the race pack or at least on the website.

I think they have crammed too much in with the two races on the same day (maybe why the race was short?), which seems a shame really as it seems in danger of losing its 'magic' by the vibe i'm getting.

• Great Race today, Yes it may have been shorter but conditions were also challenging. If it's too short for you then run faster!! As for GPS distance, probably not worth relying on due to the amount of overhead cover anyway.

If you want a PB over a set distance go for a road race, if it's a great day out, where anything can happen choose a race like this. I had a laugh and finished well, i'll definitely be back!!
  • Hopefully they'll look at the feedback - I loved it but looking back would have preferred it a little longer as I used it as a training run towards my marathon. Still enjoyed it though and would run it again.

• Hi all,

I also enjoyed it but was dissapointed at the same time with the distance. If they say it is +10miles then I plan my run from that. I think I could have done it faster if I had known the correct distance.
    Did the Turbo-X in Sheffield earlier this year which was much harder so this was a bit of a let down on the challenge.

Leaving from the carpark was a bit chaotic. The fact that two police ladies had to be there to direct the traffic I think is wrong. The police have more important matters to deal with. There should have been marshalls from the race helping with the traffic!

I think the organisers were greedy and let too many people run the race which caused the slight chaos with parking and getting people away at the start.

I am signed up for the Hell in the Middle also but in the future I think i will stay to smaller events.

BUT I still had a great day! Running in the forest in this season is hard to beat!

• I had a great time image I agree it was shorter than the other 2 I've done, but as my training hadn't happened it suited me!!!! If I had trained for over 10 miles then I would probably be a bit diappointed. Even thought it was shorter it was the much muddier and boggier than my previous 2. I agree they need to sort the organisation, its a shame when it bottlenecks as much as it did. I was grateful due to being short on training but otherwise I would have been very frustrated.

But it was a great day and I will definitely be back next year! Think I finished just under 2hrs, so it was definitely short!!!! image

Good goody bag and T shirt image

• Great race, but shame it was much shorter. They could have started at 9am & still have got the 2 races in before dark. I'm doing both next year for sure!! image

Last year I was 3 hrs 30! (15 weeks after ankle break) This year I was 2 hrs 12! So it might have been a mile shorter, but I was def a LOT quicker, so pleased with that. Ran it all apart from the very steep climbs.

Enjoyed watching the second race from the Bog of Doom. I stayed to bully the last people home!

I took LOADS of photos, & will have a gallery of pics on Facebook soon open to everyone. Search for Ria Bright on Facebook to have a look.

• Official results can be found here!

My final time came in at 2:07:11

• Woohoo!!! 1:55:50 image Really chuffed! Aching today and all my scratches are stinging!!!image Loved it. So much better than road running! imageimageimage 

Note to self-train for it next year and the next day the aches won't be as bad!!! image

Well done Bright Bimbler - last year I did 2:30ish(35mins quicker this year) , so your improvement(well over an hour!) is amazing. Fantastic image

• Well done everyone.

Well that was a laugh, although it wasn't as long as I was expecting, the bogs were deep and long and found it really hard running with cold legs after the last bog. Almost went head first in the first bog eek. I'd do it again if doesn't clash with other races.

• I loved taking photos at the Bog of Doom.. Much more fun than doing it !