Music or Not?

2»

Comments

• Sprint for the line wrote (see)

I used to be from the ipod camp, but I've changed sides after running without music, realising how firstly it was affecting my apce, and I coudln't hear stuff going on around.

Exactly. I wish more people who say they always run with iPods and claim they couldn't move an inch without one would actually go out and do a few runs and races without one. Personally I find they only impair my running.

Always nice to hear I've done something worth validating image

• Tom Tom T. Barrow wrote (see)
    "didn't hear the car coming, beebing its horn warning her. " I'm sorry, but that sounds like the driver and the runner had loads of time to react, which I'm sure is never the case in these incidents. There is far to much wrong with your cautionary tale. The horn of a car is so ridiculously loud an Ipod would not block it out. If the driver of the car was beeping its horn far enough in advance to tell her to clear out of the way he damn sure would have had enough time to emergency stop. If someone runs out in front of you you don't beep, you break. Also did she not LOOK? If the driver of the car could see her far enough in advance to have time to beep his horn then there must been a clear line of sight, had she bothered to look she would have see the car.
    I would think the runner just didn't look before crossing. If you cross the road not bothering
    to look and, maybe distracted with a car approaching at 40,50mph. Chances are the runner
    and the driver have limited time to avoid, even with braking. Which seems to be in this incident.
    The driver never expected someone to cross the road suddenly. Maybe the driver thought
    that runner will wait before crossing. Sadly, that didn't happen.
  • So it boils down to someone not taking sufficient precautions to ensure their own safety. Always the responsibility of the individual, not the race organiser. Spraying tree roots orange so that runners may see them when racing off road? Barmy...

We really are breeding a nation of wuckfits who lack the wit to make their own risk assessments and the bollocks to take responsibility for their own actions. If wearing headphones, flip them out at road junctions and look carefully before crossing. It's not rocket science. 

• M.ister W: You think my comment suggesting deaf people should maybe run with some one who has able hearing is so stupid, but then a few post latter you go on about how one of the competitors at a race you were marshaling nearly got run down because she could not hear as she had head phones in. So what are you saying? it is ok for a deaf person to cross numerous junctions whilst out running with out help, ( though this could be done if you were prepared to stop at every junction and lose your rhythm by keep having to look for cars). But the girl in your race is at fault for not being able to hear due to head phones! Is it your saying it is ok for one but not the other!
  • Grumblethegoat: Of course I am not suggesting a blind person should not be able to walk by themselves. Was offering my opinion that maybe could be dangerous due to how many road junction usually have to be crossed. When running myself I often do not want to waste time stopping at every junctions to check, so just have a quick look and then rely on my hearing to hear for anything I may have missed. This is why I suggested maybe it is not safe for deaf people out running. However I guess the safest bet would be to find a quiet path to run along with out any traffic and junctions, then it could be safe for a deaf person to run, or a person listening to music for that mater.
  • I think people hide behind the health and safety argument because they don't want to say why they really think iPods should be banned. image
  • I always believe that the ipod and any MP3 is a entertainment device.
    Its never been designed for sporting use. Only a certain study which was paid from
    a certain sports company which proves music and running works. Because of that,
    the uptake in ipods/MP3s and running increased.

When Sony brought out the Walkman, did everyone start running with a Walkman. No.

• What do you know, someone did say it.
  • Am I stuck in cosmic loop..??
  • I ran my first 10k race without my trusted ipod shuffle on Sunday. I found it weird as it was only my 3rd-4th time without it.

A mixture of having a bad start to the season and not running with music played on my mind and made me think that I struggled between 6-7km mark.

Also recently trained with a new running club and I would say it is a no no to have headphones in.
    Where I stay I have a few country roads that cars belt round the bends. When I am on them I have one ear in and one out so I can hear the traffic coming.
  • Solent - The name is Grumle not Grumble. We were discussing deaf people -not blind.

If you want to wear an I-pod you should be able too. You are adult enough to be responsible for yourself, however if events say you can't because of safety (everyone is suing everybody for everything these days) then you should respect that and ither accept that as part of the race or not enter.

I run with one headphone on, in my right ear, so I can hear around me. If you can run without music then that is brilliant but I can't, I've tried but get a bit de-motivated. I have a real passion for music and I combine it with my passion for running.

• Hi Guys,

May I suggest a alternative to music in the shape of Pod casts. I tunes and several other sites offer running specific casts which give you the vibe of running whilst conversing with other runners, the plus is you don't drown out all outside noise and you can be part of the running community by e-mailing in with your comments which will get a mention. Just a thought for you to consider try starting with Marathon talk and You don't have to run alone both excellent.

Cheers Dan Dan the running Man

• Grumlethegoat: A couple of mistakes on my part, first is your name which I apologize for, second is I stated blind instead of deaf, this was a mistake, but still mean the same thing.

Look do not get me wrong mate. I do not listen to music while out running because I think it is dangerous. However I hold nothing against people that do wish to listen to music, and by the sounds of thing's your method of just using one ear piece is an ideal solution, as you would still be able to hear what is going on around you. Everyone to there own.

• Coming in late to the conversation, but interesting topic. I've been running on and off for around 10yrs and for at least the last 5 of those with music/books/podcasts and would always have said I would be lost without the distraction. However, I was on holiday a fortnight ago in Dorset and decided to leave the headphones at home and take in the scenery - best thing I could have done! Remarcably seems to have improved my times. Haven't run with music for the last 2 weeks and actually think it is better - more focused on what I am doing and the pace I am going than what I am listening too.
    Try it, you might like it!!
  • Tried it....didn't like it...each to their own thoughimage
  • I normally run with an ipod - although my last few runs have been without an ipod and I've really enjoyed them.  Its totally a personal choice thing - at the moment I'd rather run without - ask me in a few months and I might have plugged back in again.

I don't agree with the "it's dangerous" arguement - you still have to use your eyes which many people aren't capable of doing with or without ipod, and it's easy enough to pull a headphone out while running around a blind corner etc.. 

I'm planning on running the City of Norwich Half in November and it's stated plainly "NO IPODS", nothing about performance enhancing drugs, but don't you dare catch up with your favourite pod-cast while running!  It seems a bit pathetically elitest to me.

• Crash Hamster wrote (see)

So it boils down to someone not taking sufficient precautions to ensure their own safety. Always the responsibility of the individual, not the race organiser. Spraying tree roots orange so that runners may see them when racing off road? Barmy...

We really are breeding a nation of wuckfits who lack the wit to make their own risk assessments and the bollocks to take responsibility for their own actions. If wearing headphones, flip them out at road junctions and look carefully before crossing. It's not rocket science. 

I completely agree. I am lucky in that I live in the Lakes and run on the fells and I love the silence of the mountains when running and music would just seem very wrong (although there have been times in my head when I've hummed the Rocky theme to get me up the last few hundred feet of a hill). However, on a weekend in London recently, I saw a lot of people running, and I don't blame them for having music on, the sound of traffic and and horns and shouting is hardly one I'd want as a soundtrack.

There are always risks every single day, whether you're out running or just boiling the kettle. If I, as a fell runner, fail to take adequate cover when on the mountains and get hypothermia, is that anybody's fault but my own? Likewise, if someone wearing headphones isn't going to bother looking before they cross the road or take them out and listen around junctions and corners (like we were all taught at school, for goodness sake), then the only person who gets my sympathy is the poor driver having his/her road taken up by such a moron.

/harshness

• Driver, or cyclist...

The point still remians that it makes you very unaware in races, that when I personally care the most - I have had ipodders sweep straight across me, or be completely unaware when you're trying to pass someone on a single track route..

Go and get yourself knocked down by a car, just get out of my way when I ask nicely.

And if you rock up in a race when they're banned, I've got my fingers crossed you'll get a DSQ.

• You think that they'd act any different minus-ipod?  I doubt it, a moron is a moron.  image
  • Sometimes I use my ipod, sometimes I don't - depends if I want peace and quiet - I personally like the variety, and there are times when I need motivation, esp if I'm running a boring route. Since my music player is also my phone, I decide when I'm out whether I want to listen to it or not. If I do listen to it, I take them out if I need to at junctions (as somebody said earlier), or I only have one in if, say, I'm running down lanes - or take them out completely. I do find that I double check when crossing roads, and if I have to - i'll stop! I don't care if it interupts my pace, I'd rather be alive! I also sometimes listen to music when I'm cycling, although this really depends where I'm going, and I usually just have the left one in. I definitely need to listen out more on the bike, more than I do when I'm running so it totally depends on the route. image

• I'm sure the stop/start of checking junctions is probably an additional little work out in itself image
  • I can't believe that so many of you are getting so worked up about nothing!!  Running, unless as part of a club, relay, whatever, is predominantly a solo sport.  Therefore if you want to wear an ipod/mp3 then do it and if you don't, then stop making out that  you are some sort of better person for it. 

I totally respect that if a particular race doesn't want people to wear mp3 s then they are the rules you sign up to and must be respected. 

I run a bit of both.  I enjoy making playlists for days that I know that my runs are going to be tough and look forward to listening to my combinations and these are days when I'm running in town and get fed up listening to traffic.  (BTW I know my green cross code so I'm fine).  Other times when I'm heading to a park or the beach etc then the feeling of freedom and the senses are more heighened without my tunes. 

For me, it gives variety to my runs and I don't see any change in pace or technique. 

Live an let live.  image 

• HAND UP IN AIR.... I run with audo books.... - totally brilliant for really long runs when marathon training and you really really want to stop. Good book keeps you going till the next chapter.

Out on my bike today (sans ipod) - sang the whole time anyway image
  • As I said before, I run with 1 headphone in and I'm all for music to exercise to....but...today when I was walking to work ......a cyclist, on a main road with these big headphones on and no helmet...I listened for the ambulance siren all afternoon. 
  • Grumlethegoat - some people clearly lack in common sense, I think cycling with both ear peices in/on is downright dangerous on a bike! I don't get some folk, and have given up trying to understand image If people want to kill themselves, then let them get on with it - trouble is, killing themselves usually involves somebody else.... THAT'S what irritates me about irresponsible people.

Oh dear...... rant over, and it's not even time of the month,........ image

• Is that a nail for the cycling mans coffin.....? image image