Comrades (South Africa) 56 miles

Comments

• Well you might get that in Notts Vixx?image

My other worry is my motivation.  I go through phases (like now, for instance!) where I can't be arsed getting my arse in gear and going out.  Not sure how I get round marathons with the amount of runs I miss (though I normally do the long runs)...I get the impression you would have to stick to the plan pretty religiously with something like this...no slackingimage!

• RP - my last few times have been going the other way image

My PB is 5:33:28 which I achieved despite having piriformis syndrome in Berlin, 2008.

Since then I have done 5:55:xx, 5:56:xx and 6:00:27.

Some of my training times on Fetch suggest at least a 5:15:xx is possible, and I'd like to think I could shave that down further.  I doubt I'll manage it in Nottingham as I'm doing Wolverhampton the week before. And maybe Fleetwood the week before that.

Maybe an aim for when I am fitter.....and faster! image

I shall read this thread to see what tips I can pick up.....

• Hi Redpanda. How about finding someone to run with or joining the local running club. If it helps, I try to enter a 5km to marathon (mostly 10kms & half-marathon) every week. That keeps you in the mood & training runs during the week have a different purpose image You get to chat with some great people too...on the start line. Do you remember when you thought a marathon would be impossible for you. Well you did that....lesson over image
  • In my experience the up is 10 mins slower than the down. Go do it, Comrades is the worlds greatest mass participation foot race
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Whats ten minutes DD among friends over 11 hours or so?

One of the amazing things (one of many) about this race is that international runners have a different colour bib and everyone gets their name under their number. So lots of people (other runners) will say "welcome to South Africa Keith" as you are running around and have a chat about your trip or "thanks for coming" etc . Also crowd call out name a lot (their eyesight is better than mine!

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    It's my favourite race and the highlight of my running calendar. And if you run this often enough you'll bump into friends before, during and after the race!

Another interesting thing about Comrades concerns your running number. The number you get assigned on your first run will be re-assigned to you on your subsequent runs ( as long as you don't leave too big a gap between runs - I think it might be a 3 year gap). Your number becomes permanently yours if you either win the race three times, get 5 gold medals (only given to the top 10 finishers) or you finish 10 races within the time limit. At the end of the race when you qualify for this Green Number Club, you are presented with your permanent number by a Comrades legend. (I got mine from Clive Crawley - owner of permanent number "1").

I got mine for 10 finishes - just in case anyone gets the wrong impression about my speed...
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Personally I find the "up" harder to run, although my legs feel worse after a "down".
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Hey Fizzio, is that the Connemara Ultra you are talking about? I have just signed up for that one in prep for next year. I know its a long time away but these things need to be planned out...

And yep, Constantia Nek was one hell of a hill, particularly as it came just after the marathon distance. Views were imense though, made it worthwhile.

• FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

HI Marty,

Yes I have just signed up for it myself. NOt going to tell people around me though in case I bottle out. Maybe I will see you there image

RedPanda, Come on , have a go. Its long runs at the weekend. really not much more/different during the week. Possibly even less as you keep most of your effort for the weekends.image

• ,.....And when am I suppose to have a life Fizz?image!!!

(Best of British for Sunday, by the way) xx

Whats the "best of british?"  Sounds like a roast dinner advert?

you only get one life RP. YOu must enjoy it. Running should add to it , not take away from it , otherwise you get under even more pressure. Run when you can but dont beat yourself up if you cant. I am learning that lesson. The longer runs help me as well , as I find it manage to get out early one morning at the weekend whereas noramlly I have to be surgically removed from my bed. Then its done and over and I still have the day. If I am tired I go for a nap later.

• Hello all! Also just popping in to say hi. I'm 70% sure that I'm returning next year. The day after this year's Comrades, I was at about 40%, so I'm getting there slowly but surely. 100% by September 1st (when entires open, I think?) is looking likely.
  • I know Stephen, it was embarrassing to say 'never again & I mean it' to my other half at the finish line and then can't wait  to be back at the start next year. Note to self - keep one's gob shut at the finish line image
  • Think I said 'never again' too and several times. Took 2 days before I started to change my mind image
  • Is it do-able to break the cut off for this with a 4 hour marathon time?  I'd love to give it a go but only if I'm confident of making the cut off.  I ran the Glasgow-Edinburgh double marathon in March in 11:02 and as it was my first time at doing this distance, I took it steady and deliberately fitted in walk breaks.  That route was dead flat along canal tow paths.  I've since completed a 104.4 mile event in 32:23 with lots of off road and climbing so I now have a lot more confidence in my endurance;

What with the heat and the hills, I'm not too sure I could do this in the time frame.  Comments or training suggestions welcomed. 

• I'd love to do Comrades one day.  Sadly I think my days of getting a qualifying time are behind me.  Still never say never! image
  • Hi SueW I think you are more than capable of doing Comrades within the cutoff with your background. My marathon PB is 4.12 and I had only done 2 marathons before I started training for Comrades.
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Sue

Agree with Tricia - you are certainly starting with far more distance running than I did (4 marathon and no ultras)

In terms of the 4 hours...based on this years stats you would either be a D seeding (sub 4) or F (4:00-4:20) and the good news is that less than 4% of women in D did not finish and only 5.5% of F;s. So if you can get to th start fit and healthy and trained you have  a great chance of finishing. Where people struggle to finish is if there qualifying marathon is over 4:40 but even then 70% of women still finished.

The majoruty of women in F seeding came in sub 11 hours so well under cut off.

So I would say go for it!

In terms of training I would look at the programs on the Comrades site as a good place to start

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    SueW -you'll be fine for the cut-off. With your times you should be aiming for a comfortable bronze medal (9 - 11 hours).
  • Thank you all for the encouragment.  I think I'll sign up in September now!  The Comrades website still has the training plan for the 'down' race.  I'll keep an eye on the site till the 'up' plan appears and give it my best shot.  Cheers
  • Well done Sue. Fantastic that you are going to take part. Think there will be hills in both the up & down training plans image The hills are all flat if you look down and tell yourself they are flat...seems to work for me. Suspect you could give a lot of us advice on how to complete a double marathon in 11 hours

• Fizziofinn... 'Best of British' is another way of saying Good Luck... as in Best of British Luck image (I nearly made a reference to yesterday's footy match but thought better of it... image )

Stephen... see you next year then image

• SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Hi guys

I am doing short runs of between 6 and 8 miles, seems as if I am 80% recovered.

I have done three and after finishing I always promise I will never be back, only short stuff from now on, much more sensible and then it all goes wrong and I line up again.

Sue - 4 hour marathon will get you home in under 11 hours, go for it. Check out the archived training on the Comrades site. those schedules were done by Don Oliver, you can't go wrong.

Stephen - I will see you next year then!
    OOOh its getting closer to sign up time.
    so , the training plan of choice to follow is the one on the comrades site? How does it compare with the Hal Higdon one? or any of the others? Anyone tried different ones or recommend one?

sportaloo. I think I keep forgetting on purpose how long it will take to recover afterwards. I guess I shouldnt sign up for anything after it for ...6 months? Does this seem about right?

I see now about the Best of British. Not the best thing to say to an Irish woman though . LOL

What is anyone doing as regards races/running at the moment with regards to Comrades?

is it too early to even consider pre - preparation? Is there anything I can do to perpare for the training schedule so that I would be well able for it or is it folly to even change my running until next january comes around?

• Hi Fizziofinn

Here is a build-up programme a Comrades runner sent me. They are aiming for 7hrs 30mins in this year's Comrades. If the rest of us can get anywhere near this schedule...we will get around...no problem image

7th July 2010: Thames 10k
    25th July: Elmbridge 10k
    29th August: Pewsey Half Marathon
    12th September: Chippenham Half Marathon
    26th September: Highclere 10k
    10th October: Swindon Half Marathon
    7th November: Rutland Water Marathon
    21st November: Swindon 10k
    5th December: Doyen of the Downs (30 miles)
    15th January 2011: Country to Capital (45 miles)
    5th February: Thames Trot (50 miles)
    19th March: Reading Half Marathon
    10th April: Brighton Marathon
    2nd May: Belfast Marathon
    29th May: Comrades!

Best wishes

David

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Fizziofinn

I don't worry about specific training for Comrades during the summer.  Just running 5k, 10k, 10 mile and Half Marathons for fun.

I start to build up the mileage Oct-Dec, then train specifically for Comrades Jan - May.

I'm not a big fan of Lindsey's programme on the Comrades website so I tend to use a mixture of Don Oliver and Norrie Williamson's schedules adapted to suit...

I usually try to take a month off after Comrades - but I was a bit naughty this year and ran the South Downs marathon two weeks after...

SD

• SD - Do you have links for those schedules.

I'm almost certain I'll be have a go at this currently just building base miles for a good marathon in October will probably start building a bit more distance after that through the winter months (which may end up meaning spending hours on the the dreadmill).

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Joe, I don't have a link to Norrie's as I have his book. Norrie does have a website but I'm not too sure if he still has his schedule on there (http://www.coachnorrie.co.za)

Don Oliver - who used to be the Comrades coach before Lindsey Perry (don't ask me about the way the "handover" was handled...) - now helps out on this site...(http://www.alsoranrunners.info) - although his old schedules can be found on the Comrades website under Training/Archive Program it seems to stop in March...

I hope this helps...

SD
  • Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

Hello people!!!

I alsmost feel like I know most of you having read the entire Comrades thread for 2010!!

I've decided to also take the plunge and enter for 2011 - but i need reassurance i'm not mad! I've run 4 marathons - best time 4'15, worst 4'50. Doing Berlin in Sept so hoping that will be my qualifier. Just so scared about the distance!! And i live in south London where there are NO hills to train on! And i'm rubbish at running with anything more than gels in my system, so any suggestions for getting used to eat - assume you have to on that length of run??

arrghhhhhhh! let the madness commence!!!