Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

Comments

• I get up at 6am and leave by 6.15am. I do just over 4 miles most mornings at the moment. I could not run after work what with the heat, but also after a day's work I have little motivation so morning is the best time for me.

Will have to set the clock earlier though once I'm running longer distances *gulp* image
  • Out at 5am.......stunnning.......a hedgehog, two deer and thousands of rabbits......5.6 miles......hampshire countryside was at its best this morning.........i was also clocking where the elderflowers were......elderflower champagne may have to be started.......

• 5am this morning. Dull, but warmish. Been a morning runner since 1984 !

Once got up and went out running at 2.50amimage as I thought my bedside  alarm clock said 5:50 am ! It was quiet that morningimage

• Was out the door on the bike by about 0445 this morning, the call to prayer from the local mosque had me wide awake at 0430.  I definately do mornings not evenings.
  • I started reading this thread a couple of days ago and I thought I'll give that a go! Usually run after work as the thought of getting up at 5am seemed a bit mental. So I got up at 5 this morning and went out and did a wee 10k. I loved it, so peaceful and had a lot more energy than usual.

I may be converted, same again tomorrow!

• I'm up at stupid o'c lock waiting for oldest on to phone. He's at his 6th YearSchool  Dance at a hotel in Glasgow and I'm driving up to collect him.

Might just stay up when I get back...

• Gingermagic: Nice to have you join us.

Great running at stupid o'clock  isn't it !image

• 3M easy after a couple of hours sleep. Lovely sunny morning.
  •  So nice to hear so many other early morning runners. I can't get out of an evening because of family commitments so am a morning runner by necessity. Its so hard to get up and out but always so worth it. Did 4 miles this morning before it got too warm. Have that lovely warm optimistic feel and will cope with work so much better for doing it.

Leave it til nearer 8 on a weekend though.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Wide awake at 4.30 this morning, tried to get back to sleep but eventually got up 50 mins later and had a fantastic run (8.39 miles). I am loving these early mornings so much!

The thing is, my body clock has been set to an early time which of course means I'll be wide awake at 5.30 Sat & Sun. TV is shite, shops are shut, what can I do to kill time?! 

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I got up bright and early yesterday to go for a run. After planning my route etc i eventually got out at around 4pm. Only to get half way around and change my mind about where I was going. image

Actually I wanted to map out a marathon and then start taking parts of it on my run. But everything was conspiring against me yesterday. Still, I got the route mapped out in bright green on my OS map so know I know where to run in the future.

I am finding it great that I can go out running and in a couple of miles be on the top of the South Downs with all the sheep.

I always used to love going to work early during the summer months.

• One nice addition to "The Smug Factor" from getting out early is the boost I get when I return to find messages from Non-Running Friends.  I was home at 9am last Saturday, after a 7miler, to a cheery email from a mate who'd spotted me when she was out early to give her daughter a lift. 

Ofcourse, in Summer the tone is "well done, you", in bad weather the majority question my sanity image

• Well done k8greene. It is worth getting up out especially during the summer months.

Long lies for me next week, 8.30am as on hols.

• I'm up at 5.30am those mornings i run, but I need to eat before running, so tend to inhale a yoghurt, take the dogs out for half an hour or so, then come back and head out for a run. Agree that it is much nicer in the mornings, but the local power station must have a shift change about then as there are more cars whizzing by you at that time of day than any other! Do feel safer running on my own as a female in the mornings as opposed to later - as you say, i always reckon the 'bad folk' don't get out of bed early - nonsense I'm sure! Am utterly drained in the evenings after wok too - on my feet at work all day - so taking the dogs for a walk is as much energy as I can muster in the evenings. Hate the winter though as I'm in a little village with no streetlights, so it is scary running on twisty lanes with only a headtorch.

• Hanna - how come you're not running with the dogs?
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Some dude pulled up to ask me for directions this morning!

I ran past and said sorry but I can't stop. I didn't want to come across as rude but I was having a really good run, breathing was in a good rhythm and I had a good pace, I wasn't stopping for anyone!

Anyone else been asked for directions, and if so did you stop?!

• having not yet convinced the other half that blackout curtains are needed in the house, I find myself wide awake at around 5.30am most mornings due to the bedroom being very light so usually get up and head out then. I am loving the good weather just now, makes it so easy to motivate yourself when the sun is shining
  • Another nice, refreshing run this morning. It is indeed great, birkmyre!
  • hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

K8green - When I was on my longest run of all time (18 miles), a car pulled over to ask me directions. I just waved them away with my hand, there was no way I was stopping, I wouldn't have got going again. On normal runs I would stop.

I find that it is easier to get up if I haven't eaten much the night before. I guess I wake up alert and hungry. Always feel great if I run before work. Makes me feel as if I have achieved something for 'me', and not just got on with the drudge of the day.
  • where abouts in Hampshire r u Jeepers?
  • TurboElli - dogs are now 12 and 10, their running years are behind them, sadly. one has knackered legs, and it would not be fair to take the other out without him.
  • What breed are your dogs Hanna ? I can't imagine going out for a run without my springer spaniel but I guess the day will come when he'd rather go for a nice sedate stroll around the block rather than an 8 mile hack across the military training land!
  • K8 - Funny you should mention the directions thing, I have been stopped on at least 3 separate occasions and twice to be asked the time. I must seem too approachable and will try and cultivate a scowl in future.

• Chris Oco - I've a collie cross, who is 12 who'd still run all day, and a Lab who is 10, who has a knackered shoulder and not great hips, and no brain to feel the pain, so will go but then can't walk for a couple of days after, so neither would prefer the sedate stroll, but not an option any more. Tis a shame, but he'd be gutted if I took the other out without him.
  • Ofcourse, in Summer the tone is "well done, you", in bad weather the majority question my sanity 

Haha that's so true.

I have been asked for directions in the past and you have to wait a few second to get your bearings, "Now where the hell was that place?" you're stood there looking completely inane and tell them  incoherent directionsimage

I love morning runs though, this morning I woke up at 5:30 and out the door for 6:30. I'm so jealous of you guys who get to run with your dogs. I have to wait until next year for my Vizsla and I'm so excited!image

Do any of you guys feel knackered and in need of a nap say around 4:00 though?

• That's one of the bonuses of doing most of my runs on The Prom - it's mostly pedestrianised, so I encounter very few motorists, lost or otherwise.

I used to run with my parents' Heinz 57 when I was training for the Great North Run in 2001 & 2002.  She loved the extra outings & barely break into a trot.  She was great company & ofcourse this was pre-iPlod days.  When my lottery win comes in & I can jack in work, I'd love a dog - not possible at the mo', so v.jealous of those Runners with canine company.

3.30pm - 4pm is when I usually fancy a siesta.  There's many a time when I've had a short nap on the bus after work.  There was a time when I'd be catching a few sneeky ZZZs as I'd been partying the previous night/was playing out that night, now it's running induced (I do still manage the occasional heavy weekend, tho' - honest).

• Yep do most of my runns 5.30-6.30 in the morning, had just finnished a 16miler by 9am on sunnday in preperation for Snod. Will be out tomoorow at 5.30 doing a 7miler!! I like running at silly oclock to, it is a diffrent world.
  • God no, I'd rather run in the heat than wake up earlier than I need too.

• Get up at 6 during the week for my commute to London. Come the weekend my body still thinks its the working week so Im up early for my long runs. You certainly avoid maniac drivers early morning. 

Can't bear the thought of running during my lunch break at work as there are too many maniac tourists on the pavements so I run in the evenings.  These runs tend to be slower as my energy has been zapped.

• Week of lie ins till 8.30am, back to early runs tomorrow.