MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• It seems this is the place to be if you want to yourself justice! I too had a poor run in London, suffering like many others. An unfortunate trip over my packed bag on the Friday am before setting off to my brother's where I was staying ruined the whole experience because I didnt know if I would be able to run right up to being on the start line - what a nightmare 2 days worrying about it & not sleeping.

Anyhow I completed in 3.19.21, over compensating on my twisted knee I think. Went through 1/2 in 1.34 so as many others did suffered. 5 weeks earlier I ran Stafford 20 over a much tougher course in 2.25 so wasnt being overly ambitious. I really want to prove to myself that I can do 3.10.

It certainly looks a good course and if anything like Chester Half it will be a superbly organised event - the half is my favourite race - brilliant atmosphere & great support.

I look forward to keeping up with how people's training is going.

• LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Bad luck FAS, but still a good time

My original target was 3.10, but my training was plagued by injury so I had to revise it. Looking forward to Chester to have another bash at it, but not sure how achievable it is as 26.2 is still a bit of unknown territory for me (Chester will be my third - first was a 3.39 trail marathon in Nov)
  • Some impressive times already, and some ambitious targets too.

SO I won't be one to be left out, I'm doing the White Peak Marathon in 4 weeks and hoping for 3.45, but for Chester, what the hell, let's aim for 3.35.image

• LB70

We can compare training schedules - have to decide whether to stick to the one I used - it wasnt the schedule at fault!!!!  I'm off for about 7 miles soon following a 4 on Thurs & Fri yesterday. It's hard not running much but the body needs the rest from the pounding I suppose.I've swam 3 times - around 70 lengths before I lose the will to live!

• Not sure what my aim will be for Chester.  Definitely sub 3:30 but depending on the next few weeks and a couple of races I may revise that down to nearer 3:15.
  • LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Hi xe and good look for the White Peak - looks like a tough one

Which schedule did you follow for London FAS? I'm quite enjoying a little break, but am also looking forward to starting up again
  • Bonjour
    Me and the Mrs fancy the trek north to do this one.
    A couple of questions cant find out what sort of numbers they are expecting on the website is it going to be popular '000s of people?
    And are they posting out chips and numbers or are we collecting them?
    Cheers
  • Entries for this year's marathon are limited to 6,500 - so enter now to secure your place, as we are expecting to fill well in advance of race day.

its hidden..... on the home page!

i expect chips to be posted. If you have to pick up it will be simple, there isnt a full expo like major city marathons.
  • Chips were not posted last year , numbers had to be picked up the day before ... a bit of a pain . Hope they are posted out this year .

Over to you Chris  .....

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Hmmm......might give this one a go

I pulled out of London four weeks ago after running out of weekends.I got up to 16milesby mid-Feb but then missed every second weekend though to the end of March with a succession of silly little injuries/illnesses.

One thing I've learnt is that a 'critical path' training schedule doesn't work with real life - if I do opt for Chester I'll aim to get up to the longer distances early and build a bit of contingency.

• B70

It was Advanced Training by Pfitinger & Douglas - I followed the up to 70 miles 18 programme which means starting on 5th June. It does seem to be 'The Bible' for runners

• Treadmill Hater wrote (see)
    Entries for this year's marathon are limited to 6,500 - so enter now to secure your place, as we are expecting to fill well in advance of race day. its hidden..... on the home page! i expect chips to be posted. If you have to pick up it will be simple, there isnt a full expo like major city marathons.
    How many did it last year?
  • e.t. I believe that there were 1000 entrants last year, but the new course etc. has enabled a larger field.
  • FAS wrote (see)

B70

It was Advanced Training by Pfitinger & Douglas - I followed the up to 70 miles 18 programme which means starting on 5th June. It does seem to be 'The Bible' for runners

That's what I'll be following for Chester.
  • Hi everyone,

Hurrah! Have entered this one recently and am looking forward to it already. Did the Great Welsh a couple of weeks ago (needed to avoid Brighton after a bad experience there last year!) and ran a massive pb to get in under 4 hours for the first time. Now looking to kick on and this seems like the ideal next race to get a fast time. Course looks great and weather should be perfect at that time of year. Can't wait!

• Sounds like you had a run of bad luck there Higs with the build up to London. I think you are right about allowing for a contingency plan for teh long runs. I'm aiming to try and get 7 x 20 miler in  before Chester.

Seems like there are a lot of similiar runners on here time wise. Was hoping to get sub 3.15 too. Didn't quite work out at Brighton the other week with the heat. I got really bad cramp in the last 7 miles. Just going to keep thing ticking over for the next few weeks. Got a half marathon planned in 2 weeks.

• Any Chester locals ? as this uncharted territory (the north of England) how far is the race course from the Railway station?
    We are going to fly from Southampton to somewhere called Manchester then train to Chester on the Friday morning.Hotel for a few nights and back home Monday
    Easy
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    goldbeetle wrote (see)
    Any Chester locals ? as this uncharted territory (the north of England) how far is the race course from the Railway station? We are going to fly from Southampton to somewhere called Manchester then train to Chester on the Friday morning.Hotel for a few nights and back home Monday Easy

The race starts and finishes at the racecourse. From the racecourse website... "The station is 20-30 minutes walk from the Racecourse through the picturesque Chester city centre."

• Walking from the station to the race course is nice and easy. If you come on a normal day they have a little courtesy bus from the station to the city centre - but it wont cope with 6500 runners.

Chester is a lovely city to visit. 

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

GB if you are quick you might get a room at the Holiday Inn right on the start line, quite new hotel, stay away from the hotels near the station.

• Higs wrote (see)
    goldbeetle wrote (see)
    Any Chester locals ? as this uncharted territory (the north of England) how far is the race course from the Railway station? We are going to fly from Southampton to somewhere called Manchester then train to Chester on the Friday morning.Hotel for a few nights and back home Monday Easy

The race starts and finishes at the racecourse. From the racecourse website... "The station is 20-30 minutes walk from the Racecourse through the picturesque Chester city centre."

Right ok thats the second time I havent read the website thoroughly image cheers
  • Do we start a list then of those who are following the P&D training? Or a list for hopeful times based on results? It may help us when training gets hard or when we need support? Who is going to start? Recent half marathon/20/marathon result and goal for Chester needed?
  • Well, I'm doing P&D...

Did Paris in 3:38:48 a couple of weeks ago.  Target somewhere between 3:15 and 3:30.

• I'm reading Road Racing for serious runners right now
    Pfitzingers plans make sense. I might follow base building and the the 50 miles a week
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    FAS- I have followed the P&D plan for my last 3 races, with a little tweaking to suit myself as needed.  BTW, the plan starts on the Monday 6th June- so you get an extra day off- or building miles, i should sayimage 
  • LB70LB70 ✭✭✭

I recently bought P&D, but haven't decided whether to follow it for this or not

Chester target:: 3:09:59

Recent times:

VLM: 3:28:36

Isle of Axholme HM (Oct-10): 1:28:23

Which HM and what time are you aiming for KR?

• i have that P&D book and not really impressed. Most of it he copies (and references) jack daniels' far superior book. The first six weeks of the 18 week schedule he could have just written 'run a lot of steady/easy miles'

How far are the monthly training runs at chester and do they go on the course?
    from website 'There is a choice of pace groups and distances'

Is it suitable to use them as 18m+ long run?

• After seriously over training for a May marathon (my 1st one) throughout the winter I suffered an injury (tibilias posterior tendonosis) in February which has meant that I’ve not been able to run since then, a couple of false starts aside, buggering up myself up again “taking it steady”  (yeah right, stupid competitive nature) on the Woodbank Park Run I finally ran my first run this morning.  1.5 miles in 12 minutes.  Considering when I was running in Jan/Feb I was doing 18-20 miles most Sundays, I have a long way to get back, but it was probably the best and most enjoyable run I’ve ever done.  Just to be back with no pain and being able to run free is such a fantastic feeling.  My main problem is getting over-excite, trying to push too far and injuring myself again.  I’ve spent too much money on physio (Harris and Ross in Wilmslow, brilliant guys)  very painful exercises to strengthen my glutes and orthotics to arse it up by doing too much now.  Got to remind myself 12 I got till early to mid June to get myself in shape for building up again.  Made sure that I’ve been doing a lot of swimming and cycling to keep myself in shape.  Hopefully, Chester is back on.  I was aiming, in an ideal world for 3.45 but now, may have to re-adjust and just say, “I want to get to the start line in good shape and see what happens”
  • Part of the course this year heads over the border into Wales and I imagine it won't be the flattest of courses (I'm from Chester).

I was a bit amazed at how much it is to enter it as well!

• how much do you think is reasonable?

considering the hours spent training and what the organisers are providing i think £40 is bargain. Will cost more in petrol to get there!