Options

IM CH - should I do it ?

Really fancy doing my first ever tri next year and though I would just aks for feedback on the event and Zurich itself (as it will mean a break from the normal routine).  I'm not sure how quickly it fills - Austria seems to fill almost instantly.  Good one to have a go at ??

Comments

• Options

Not done an IM myself but there are a bunch of nutters going to 'Regnesburg' next year which is on 7 August. Still places available I think.  There are 42 of them doing it, come join us and you'll have great support.

Most of the overseas ones seem to fill up very quickly.

• Options
    yep, you could do a lot worse than join the Pirate trip .....  the support alone is worth it

That said IMCH was a good one if an expensive place to stay
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    of all the IM Europe venues, Zurich is the stand out one from a competition and support viewpoint (if as meldy says a little pricey - but not as bad as Nice!). but the Regensburg trip would be best for a newbie due to the support you'll get from these nutters although it's an unknown quantity as far as a venue as the 1st event there is in a couple of weeks
  • Options

If you've never done a tri before - and therefore, I am assuming, have none (or very little) of the kit, and no idea if you actually enjoy triathlon - you might start with something less expensive and time-consuming?

But maybe that's just me?

• Options
    IMCH was brilliant....but Its hard for me to be unbiased as I have only done one...........that said for me the support and help from others made a lot of it.............so it depends if you prefer your own company or lots of support and helpimage
  • Options
    I think Garr is the only person I know for whom an IM was genuinely his first ever tri.
  • Options

I haven't done one yet but I may do a sprint one later this year but just really fancy the challenge but just trying to gauge the venue

Thanks for the input

• Options
    flyaway wrote (see)

If you've never done a tri before - and therefore, I am assuming, have none (or very little) of the kit, and no idea if you actually enjoy triathlon - you might start with something less expensive and time-consuming?

But maybe that's just me?

Yes, quite possibly  image
  • Options

Nam I can confirm that IMCH 2005 was also SP's first Tri - infact his still only done IM distances for a Tri. 

His reason why he didn't do a shorter distance before IM was incase anything went wrong and would knock his confidence for CH.

• Options
    IMCH 2005 was also my first tri, but I had done the swim leg of bala. I couldnt bike or run cos I'd done my ankle in.   It was a bloody long day for all of us - its probably not advisable ! image
  • Options
    A lot of my friends who I just did IMCH with were competing in their first ever tri as well.  It is possible!  Quick summary - swim - very hard to sight - I was involved in a lot of vicious biff - didn't enjoy it which is surprising for me as this is my best discipline.  Biking, About 50k of each loop (two laps) is flat but there are some long long drags which can take it out of you and the fast descents are usually tempered by roundabouts or corners at the bottom so can't go flat out to make up time.  Run, lots of twists and turns and different surfaces - someone people didn't like it as it broke their rhythm but I liked it as it kept it interesting.  Organisation was pretty good, expo was pretty good and the crowds were good at Heartbreak hill and on the run.  They were quite sparse on the bike course as would be expected.  Feed stations pretty well stocked though they need to flatten the coke!!
  • Options
    I did love the swim - beautiful setting, the bike was nice too - wasnt keen on the new run course - twisty turny uppy downy kinda thing.  Organisation was good, but I think that Frankfurt is on the whole a more enjoyable IM. It is close though.
  • Options
    Tired Legs (Mrs Punch) wrote (see)

Nam I can confirm that IMCH 2005 was also SP's first Tri - infact his still only done IM distances for a Tri. 

His reason why he didn't do a shorter distance before IM was incase anything went wrong and would knock his confidence for CH.

didn't he do the oly at switzerland?  i'm sure i remember him cruising past, but his bike wasn't green with downtube shifters, so perhaps it was a dream.
  • Options
    Seconded for Frankfurt being better! image
  • Options

I'd forgot about that one, yep JD you're correct on that - true wasn't with the green goddess image

• Options
    The Regensburg one does look to be a nice location as it will be a trip away for me and BLH so a nice destination is a factor.  The full distance will be tough regardless of where it is but the challenge of doing it is the real draw.  Kit wise I have a pair of running shoes so that's a good start !!
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    "I think Garr is the only person I know for whom an IM was genuinely his first ever tri."

CRAB's maiden tri voyage was to IM Austria, I believe.
  • Options
    Sounds like you need to get some pirate kit and join 40+ of us doing Regensburg image
  • Options
    mittybob wrote (see)
    The Regensburg one does look to be a nice location as it will be a trip away for me and BLH so a nice destination is a factor.  The full distance will be tough regardless of where it is but the challenge of doing it is the real draw.  Kit wise I have a pair of running shoes so that's a good start !!
    Think you need to start spending some dosh mate image
  • Options
    Switzerland last year was brilliant but mainly what made it brilliant for me was the Pirates and as I live in Ireland I'd hardly met any of them beforehand but it was fantastic. When I crossed the line I wasn't sure if I was ever going to do another one but if I did, it would be with the Pirates. Regensberg 2011 here I come image
  • Options

IMCH..???

but the pirates are going to regensburg.   WHy would anyone want to go any where else but Regensburg  image

buy some kit and come and join the party!!

• Options

After much deliberation I've decided not to do it, some may call me chicken, some may call me yella !!!

But to make up for it I have just received my confirmation email for Regensburg 2011 (whoo hoo) so over to the Regensburg thread for me 

• Options
    Hey excellent welcome aboard.
  • Options

Welcome aboard......lots of tomfoolery but also some good advice if you ask....you will LOVE IT!!!!

EDIT: ...and get some Pirate kit....it's a total necessity....

• Options
    wheee.....welcome aboard the good (?) ship, you'll not regret it. Pirate trips are a blast.