Liverpool Half Marathon 2011

Comments

• Whiteside - you are entitled to your opinion and you are not obliged to enter any of the races we put on is all I can say. Keep on running wherever it may be.
  • Whiteside,I think the Liverpool city events can be a bit more expensive than local club events but i think it was last year or the year before that some people were moaning about the price so Alan published a full breakdown of all the costs incurred to put on a big city event and i think the only people profiteering from the race were the police,

I do a lot of races in Spain and they have it spot on,their local councils actually get involved and back the races financially.Theyre always really well organised with big turnouts and up until recently they were mostly free to enter and you still got the goody bag and tshirt.This year ive had to pay between 1-3 euros

• Whiteside wrote (see)
    I bet this is an expensive one. The events organised by these people always are

"These people"? Do you mean Alan and Runliverpool specifically?

I suspect that the thousands of people who run these events every year wouldn't agree with you. Alan was turning them away from the Liverpool Half in March and there were numerous begging threads on RW from people PLEADING for a bib number. People were even offering the cost of the bib and a further tenner to the charity of that person's choice!

If you want to run a half marathon round a local park with 30 club runners for a fiver then that's your choice and you are perfectly entitled to do so. I prefer to run with thousands in the fantastic atmosphere and organisation of the Runliverpool events. I know what its going to cost me and I don't begrudge a single penny.

As Jakesy said, Alan is extremely transparent about the costs of staging these major city events and even went as far as publishing the entire breakdown of costs, so you could see where your money was going. He didn't have to do that - I suspect he was a bit fed up of being accused of profiteering when in fact he has put a great deal of his OWN money in to keep these events going.

Anyway, he can defend himself if he chooses. Chances are the races will fill whether you want to run them or not.

Happy running wherever you decide to run.

• LB - thank you very much indeed. It does get a bit tiresome having to explain the same thing over and over again about the entry fee. The cost of delivering the event is directly related to the charges we incur which are considerable. Most people don't understand the effort, energy and financial commitment that goes in to delivering an event and without at least covering the operational costs then the events don't survive.

I am envious of the Spanish event model which sees local authorities SUPPORT thes kinds of events.

I would love to know how much financial support LCC is putting into the Pride Weekend in Liverpool and by the way, I paid a cheque of over £5,000 yesterday to Liverpool City Council for permission to close the roads for the 5K Team Challenge and October 10K. Enough said!

I think the races like the Penny Lane Striders 10K are fantastic events (I attend and donated Goody Bags to the event) and are the lifeblood for local / regular club runners. They are different to what we deliver. I want to encourage people of all abilities to run and means bigger races on public highways and consequently cost.

• How wonderful would it be to get a Spanish event model over here?image
  • It would be ideal but will never happen unless there is a transformation in the mindset and attitude of local authorities, by which I mean nationally. I speak to many Race Organisers and the common topic of conversation is about a lack of support in the wider sense, not just financially.

We are all in the same boat I'm afraid.

• Whiteside - may I ask if you're visiting Liverpool on 17th August to deliver a presentation to LCC?  Just a thought................................kidding!image

Best of luck with your races, wherever your enter them.  image

• i know this has nowt to do with the half mara but,i`m just back from the big heart 5k and what a brilliant morning it was.Very well organised,raffle stalls and all sorts going on,my daughter spent a fortune on the tom bola trying to win the army build a bear.Great race,the Liverpool v Everton idea is really good and sets a great atmosphere but  i came second to a brummie,come on Alan,just cos the blues were gonna get their arses kicked you had to bring in a ringerimage 

but best of all was the bestest goody bag ive ever got at a race,Alan with goody bags this good you should wear red and grow a big white beardimage

• Jakesy - what a great preformance you put in! I've just addded up the points from the positions and with heavy heart I have to conceede defeat to the Reds by a margin of 1,220 points!! Added up the positions of the first 106 of each team and equalised the points against participants. On the day there were 28 more Reds than Blues - not bad for a run celebrating the life and career of Alan Ball. I must speak to Bill Kenwright about this, it's not going according to plan!!

Wel ldone to everyone who took part andf I enjoyed the day more as I was able to take more of it in, albeit on the lead bicycle.

See how long it is before LB is on...

• ah well, you lot are used to heavy defeats heheheheimage
  • and i thought i had the bestest goody bag in the world with a travel mug,Bennetton eau de toilette,cool key ring,liquourice allsorts,wine gums and loads more stuff,until my daughter informed me that she had won them all on the tom bola.image

ah well the honey oat cereal bars were nice with a cup of typhooimage

• I know what to get in for the October 10K now! Gone 9.00am and no LB on a Reds victory day?
  • I was being gracious! image

Now I'm notimage

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GzWYOt67y1E/S7gT5djFNeI/AAAAAAAAAF4/SVBlkWMkB20/s1600/loserLarge.jpg

imageimageimageimage

• Don't mind losing this one. It's next Tuesday I need to produce a winning performance!
  • Fingers crossed mate. image
  • While you are here Mister Cake of Sheffield, can we please have a MERSEY round of applause for our latest IRONMAN???

Iron CAKE!!!imageimageimage

http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/applause.gif

• Has Cake gone over to the other side? Is he now a triathlete?
  • image Just added anouther race medel to the pile. Nothing to exciting. image
  • He's not just a triathlete!

He's an IRONMAN innit?image

Dead proud of you Cake. You're not too bad a triathlete for a southern softie exiled in't norf! I reckon you must have swallowed a bit of Yorkshire grit that has hardened you up a bit! image

Don't worry Alan - I'm still only a pretend triathlete! I'm only doing sprints at the moment. I "might" look for an Oly but an IM is only for the certifiable as far as i'm concerned....

Somebody get Cake a straitjacketimage

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

While you are here Mister Cake of Sheffield, can we please have a MERSEY round of applause for our latest IRONMAN???

Iron CAKE!!!imageimageimage

Applause indeed, Cake.  An Ironman, blimey!  Spotted someone this morning with an "Ironman" logo tattoo with the St George's Cross as the head.   I think surviving a Tri would warrant permanent ink-age.  Also impressed with the Sprint Tri, LB - such feats are mindblowing.

Hmmm, just off to take another look at the HM logo image

• Ickle legs - if I ever DID do an IM I would want the inkage and Mr LB hates tattoos! image

So I might have to get divorced or not do an IM!

• image Don't get divorced who else would put up with you. image

Ickle I would have to say that a sprint tri is easier than a half marafun. Join us pirate scum, we can help you and brainwash you into a IM before you know it. image

• Cake wrote (see)

image Don't get divorced who else would put up with you. image

Good point......image
  • Early entries in from Cornwall, Edinburgh, Anglesey and Co. Antrim. Demonstrates the attraction of the Liverpool Half Marathon - a good pointer ahead of the Marathon pitch!!
  • Give over! They're just coming to see me! image
  • Cake wrote (see)

Ickle I would have to say that a sprint tri is easier than a half marafun. Join us pirate scum, we can help you and brainwash you into a IM before you know it. image

Err, thanks for the suggestion Cake, but I think it's safe to say that when it comes to Triathlons, I'm definately limited to the role of "Impressed Spectator".  The clue is in my name imageI do love the Pirate ethos tho'.
  • Hi all,

I know this is a still question, but am I allowed to bring my Border Collie with me on the Liverpool Half Marathon? Don't mind running at the back, couldn't see anything on the website about it. She's done the Race for Life with me and she would run all day if she wanted!

How is everyone's training going? Not long to go now! I'm starting to get back into my running again after a challenging GNR in September.

Focus on training time - first the Liverpool Half Marathon, then the London Marathon in April! Woohoo!!

• I shall check with Alan Nezz, but I must confess it would definitely be the first time I'd seen a dog on the course actually doing the race! image
  • image I've seen dogs on a fell race but never a road one. I think there might be a rule against it with the AA or whatever they are called so Alans hands might be tied?
  • Dont think you can run with a dog in road races - but you can do Cani-Cross races ? They have them at Delamere sometimes ?