Grazeley 10K, 28/06/2003

2»

Comments

• I'll look out for him then pixels
  • Race report:

The Grazeley 10K on Saturday was like being trapped in one of those Escher "trompe l'oeil" pictures where those funny little men keep walking up and up stairs in an eternal climb to nowhere.

It had started so well. The course was even flatter than a pancake for the first four kilometres, and I was more than a minute ahead of schedule. Tomorrow's Sunday Times headlines were already forming in my imagination.

But then an undulation happened. A one-way, upward undulation. Then a brief plateau before another gentle climb. Then another one. "Hullo", I said to myself, "there's something not quite kosher about this fellow."

And so it went on. We seemed to keep ascending right till the finish. If I'd run the whole course again a couple of times, I'm sure I'd have ended up around fifteen thousand feet above sea level. But mercifully, we were required only to get through the first 10K. Which I did, eventually, but the hilly bits and the heat had taken their toll. The race had begun at 2:30pm, and must have taken place through the hottest hour of the day. It was baking along some stretches, and I had to walk a couple of times.

I eventually came in at 62 minutes. Not a great time, but I'm glad I did this race. It was a classic local 10K event. Part of the Grazeley fete, with all the traditional stalls: coconut shy, hoopla, tractor rides, darts thrown at playing cards, Harry Potter reading tent, and so on. A really nice event. For some reason I kept thinking that this would make a great subject for a documentary film. One of those slice-of-Britain type of things.

Quote of the day came from a rather badly-equipped elderly lady standing behind me at the start. I heard her say to her friend: "As long as I beat someone wearing a singlet I'll be satisfied."

Happy to oblige, Ma'am.

Andy
  • Glad you enjoyed it Andy, sorry we didn't get to meet.

Finished in 41:03 which is my second best time and I'm happy with it considering the midday heat.
  • I looked round for you, BK, but saw no one in a URWFRC top. I saw a couple of similar ones, and accosted the occupants but both denied being you.

I found the second half hard going, but I really enjoyed it nevertheless. Welll done on a great time in the circumstances. You must have got one of those posh medals then?

Andy
  • Posh medal? Nope mines pretty tacky.

I find most people deny being me ;-)
  • Nice one BK you were 37th. Your official time has also dipped below 41 mins. I was 57th in 43:01. You can make both of us out in the background of photos in the Evening Post - in my case 20 yards behind some old boy more than twice my age....
  • Re "posh medal": I noticed that runners who finished above a certain point got big medals, then the next big band of finishers got medium size ones, followed by mere 'finishers' like me who were awarded a tiddler.

Not seen this before.
  • Really? What did the last finisher get? A slap round the face? ;-)
  • I've only got a tiddler too RC ;-)

Yes saw the times in the paper Skinny, unusual for them to be faster than the actual time. Will look again for the picture of you. Hope your break goes OK and catch up with you again later.