New Year's Eve & New Year Liverbird Marathon Double

Comments

• Well put Andy.  I'm still up for this, training has been absolutely bobbins but I'm still gonna give it a shot.  Paying on the day is before 9am is that right?  Not sure what I'll do between 9 and the start time of 12?  Any suggestions?  I'm expecting 4 hours would this allow me to start at 10 with the first wave? 
  • Sorry - I don't know the answer to any of those - I'm not involved in any way and it looks like I'm going to have to be elsewhere so won't be able to deliver some of the marshalling I'd hoped three months ago.

Only suggestion I can make is to contact Kaja directly - I believe all details are in the event information pack (but its been a while since I read that so I could easily be wrong) or it may be possible to PM her through one of her earlier posts on here.  Hope it all goes well for you and everybody else involved.

Alternative route for up to date information could be this thread on Fetch

• I'm starting at 1000 both days and would hope to around 3:15 to 3:30 mark. LF doesn't have a problem with people starting when they want as long as she knows. Ideally it is timed to have everyone finishing close to the same time of day but this isn't practicable for me (i.e don't want to have to wait around for 3 hrs on day 1 and then on day 2 I have a long journey home).
  • www.lirerbird-marathon-double.moonfruit.com Here you have a great way to celebrate New Year: New Year's Eve & New Year - Liverbird Marathon Double - a fundarising event with 2 marathons on two consequtive days - and party in between! - Who said you have to run in straight line? image Liverbird Marathon Double is a series of fundraising running events that strive to fundraise for our befriended charities. Held in Liverpool event consists of 2 marathons on 2 consecutive days, giving you a chance to complete two marathons or a choice of preferred date possibility. Flat and easy route gives as much a perfect PB opportunity for a serious runner, as a chance to complete your very first marathon while enjoying scenic route on the beautiful Riverside Promenade. Whichever kind of a runner you are Liverbird Marathon Double may well be a great new event in your running calendar. As much as a running event, Liverbird Marathon Double is a perfect opportunity to raise fund for our befriended charities. These are: Project 65 Veterans Charity, Liverpool’s Jamie Carragher’s 23 Foundation, and Brathay Hall Trust. All profits from entry fees and extras in full are divided into the charities. First proposed date is New Year’s Eve and New Year (31.12.2010 & 1.o1.2011). What better way can you, runner, find to celebrate New Year? - Who said you have to run in straight line?

sorry but if you wanted to organise a marathon that was just for some friends and to spread the info by word of mouth then why put it as an event on a runners forum.surely just a thread would be approprioate.........

the above info does not imply that it is adhoc without offical permission from the council and no insurance or medical support........

It sounds official and states suitable for novices.....................

as I have stated before no problem in people organising these meeting for friends to share experiences.................but it should be made clear that it is just a get together to do  a run ...........

on the above information it would be easy for people to believe they were getting an offical organised race

• If you don't wish to take part seren nos then feel free to not join in.
  • Cheers paul and Andy.  Looks like I'll run at 1000 as well. Seren nos  if it's not for you thern don't take part.
  • seren nos wrote (see)
    What better way can you, runner, find to celebrate New Year? - Who said you have to run in straight line?

With a glass of champagne and some fireworks at midnight? image

Has anybody SEEN the weather round here right now? Is this still even on because it shows no signs of letting up as far as I can see.

And no, I will NOT be taking part. I think its madness.

• seren nos - I guess we have to agree to disagree.  I still don't understand what you mean by 'official' in the context you are using the word and I maintain, having read it all again, that there is nothing in the race information claiming that the event DOES have any sort of sanction from the council or anybody else.  Indeed, it goes out of its way to point out that all 'infrastructure' associated with the event is miles away from the start and to emphasise the need for entrants to supply their own water/drinks etc.  The absence of specific information in the pack regarding insurance and/or medical cover would lead any experienced runner (whether they have previously run a marathon or not) to ask the question.  Somebody attempting a first marathon is not necessarily the same as a running novice.

LB - one person's madness is another's enjoyment.  We've all accepted that it's not for everybody but I don't see any reason for anybody to fall out over that.

I think I'll back out of the thread now since perpetuating this circular debate where we are not going to reach a consensus is, in my opinion, a waste of everybody's time.

I would have been there were it possible but can't make it. I hope the event goes well.

• Looking forward to this - doing the New Years Eve one with a mate and it is his first marathon! We're going to plod around at a relatively slow pace, as training has been shot to pieces with the snow. I will concentrate my efforts on getting him over the finish line for it, nothing else like a PB! Not sure why there are so many angry people on here about this race - if you don't like it don't do it and have a look at the other events. If you want to do it then brill, have a good time!

• Good call Damondo - see you there, weather permitting.
  • CumbriAndy wrote (see)

LB - one person's madness is another's enjoyment.  We've all accepted that it's not for everybody but I don't see any reason for anybody to fall out over that.

I guess so. Have a great Christmas!
  • Im just over the river from the course and I've not run outside due to snow for well over a week now. I have seen a few brave souls out running but far too snowy and icy for me. Hope it thaws for the runs !
  • Too snowy for me too Cougs. I'm not risking a broken leg for anything.image
  • That's bad news about the course, was hoping it'd thaw out in time. Went running in the snow this norning and I had my trail shoes on so it wasn't too dangerous - but sheets of ice are a different animal. Fingers crossed for a tropical week!
  • a couple of rainy days with temps up to 7 degrees forecast so there is a chance it could clear in time.

12.5 icy/snowy miles in Liverpool for me today,had a face like a farmers arse when i got in,im not doing this event but would just like to wish the organisers and runners good luck

• Having said that - ran round Chester racecourse this morning - absolutely fine in the snow there - but I'm still staying off the hard packed stuff on the pavements.
  • Nice to see you around still Jakesy - long time no see..........Stockholm??

Any course reports from natives would be much appreciated.
  • Hiya Paul, i think the weather will be as extreme as Stockholm, only at the other end of the spectrum image

I think the course is a multi lap affair around the docklands so should be as flat as an ice rinkimage

better get your skates on

• somebody might spend the week designing some unofficial shoe chains to sell at the start. Im keen for a bit of this!  had a good 3 hours out in the snow yesterday and 2 today. It doesn't exactly help the pace but i haven't managed to fall yet this winter.
  • As Luton was canceled I'm still up for it...... at least new years eve......... New Years day .....lets see how thing s pan out??look forward to perhaps meeting a few of you guys.
  • I'm still contemplating this............just got some yaktrax pro....do you think I should bring them into play for this one with the surface as it is?   
  • i live in warrington and it has thawed out majorly over the last few days, i imagine liverpool will be similar but you might want to check that! no harm in bringing them just incase though?
  • couldnt weigh up if that was sarcastic or not haha
  • Looking at the weather, I think the route will be clear of ice and snow image

I am seriously disappointed - coming from South Africa where it is currently 33 degrees and I am used to hot races I was looking forward to a cold, snowy run.

I did a training run in -6 degress earlier this week but now the weather is above freezing even at night.

• just done a 10 miler in Liverpool tonight

you`ll all be happy to hear that the pavements are clear

• Thanks mate,good news. You not joining us for a double?
  • Cheers Jakesy Bolton is still under ice but going slushy under foot thus making it runnable, managed a couple of miles tonight, first since the 15th Nov
  • ME, noooooooooo,not me,i think youre a gang of nuttersimage

ive entered Edinburgh marathon and will probably do Liverpool Marathon in October.

• Marathons no 60 and 61 hopefully Jakesy, see you at Edinburgh image