New Triathlete

2»

Comments

• "I suspect some of those pirates were not also doing their first 3.8k swim, 180k bike and marathon on the same day"

wrong - quite a few of them have done IM as their first tri.....granted many of them were already reasonably useful bikers or runners, but many were crap swimmers, aka couldn't swim, when they started off but they took the challenge up and did the event.

there is a key difference between an IM and shorter tris as transition isn't so much the key for your 1st one and even if you're at the sharp end, losing a minute or so in transition will make very little difference to your overall day. lose a minute in transition in a shorter tri and your position can change dramatically. IM is more of a challenge for many than a race. that's how you manage to string the swim, bike and run (or hang on for grim death as it gets known) together

so transitions in an IM can be used as a recovery period to an extent so you get one discipline out of your system, have a short break and a mental refocus, before starting the next.

• im crap on a bike and i  make it round image
  • 13th Jan  Couldn't manage a length FC in the local baths

1st Sept (the same year) Completed IM distance event

Was also the wrong side of 15 stone and had a £250 decathlon bike

• JS to be honest I wasn't thinking I could maintain sprint pace I would be lucky to do that for an oly.

Out of interest what sort of split times have peopled done in a first IM ? And more to the point what is the cut off time which I suspect may be more relevant to me

FB - I get the challenge bit and believe me I was not thinking of racing it. Interesting point about the transitions

hmmmmmm
  • Jack sparra wrote (see)
    As one pirate said to me , not mentioning any names but began with m and ended with .....eldy !!! ........JFDI !!!! Let's be honest what's the worst can happen ??? ( he says bravely !!)
    Yep, wasted energy worrying about it all, enter the damn competition and let nerves be your motivator  image
    Fatboy-Steve wrote (see)

OMG image

I

Ultra I - A year might be plenty but I would only have 11 mths and I suspect some of those pirates were not also doing their first 3.8k swim, 180k bike and marathon on the same day. I would be.

Why do I feel like I am sat at the top of a really big scary roller coaster image

Helpppppp!!!!

As the guys have said, quite a few have done all 3 'firsts' at IM .... it makes it al the more special
  • Fatboy-Steve.....you may as well just give in and sign up now...........they've smelt blood and you have very little chance of escape image.

Good luck and I look forward to reading your first Ironman race report image

• FBS - my average IM swim to bike transition is about 7 mins. Suffolk Punch holds the pirate transition record of "ahem"  - rather far into double figures.

There'll be about 50 of us in IMR. Plus assorted sherpas.

• Haha I have been following this thread with interest, Fatboy Steve...you know your going to be doing an IM in 2011, give it, do it do it....image 

I've only done 2 Oly distance tri's ever which were both this year, now thanks to the Pirates help (suspiciously Meldy again image) I've decided to do Outlaw 2011, and also considering doing IM Wales aswell...2 in a year!!!

This is what happens on this forum....now just to decide which one you want to sign up for..... image

• The cut offs range from 15 hours to 17 hours and the courses vary..............they are doable from your present position..............If you want it enough and are prepared to rain enough..................only you can decide that.....................but its one of the best days of my life,,,,,,,,,,image
  • IMDE

last year - that was my first marathon, and my first 3.8 k swim.......image

• Damn you guys are good. image You should sell timeshare.

I feel like I'm surrounded by some bad cops with all their bad cop mates a bit like being back in the school playground being convinced to do something your not sure you should, you know is going to hurt but still you want to do it to be part of the gang ... and give everyone a good laugh.

Here  I was all happy with my sprint tri achievement on Sunday .......and now 4 days later you guys have me ... almost .... convinced that I could actually do an Ironman Next year...... I now find a big ? on my 2011 training plan for 7th Aug. ...... with no idea how it got there. (BTW this is only 10mths away not a year as someone said)

I actually took the time to look at the Regensburg website today image and much as it appeals to me I think it may be a bit too much of a reach physically and financially for 2011 given that I will have the outlay to get all the gear (Roadbike, sunglasses etc..) on top of a 430Euro entry fee added to the cost of getting to IMR. I suspect this may cause some consternation to mrs FBS particularly when coupled with the additional training time.

So I am Going back to my Plan A which was a couple of sprint tris and 1/2 maras leading up to the Liverpool Oly at end June and culminating in the Nottingham marathon in Sept.... but with a few tweeks.... I am going to do all the IM elements individually through the year and I want to look for a Half IM next year. Any suggestions?

Now 2012 ...... hmmmm ........I'll have all the gear by then ......be a shame not to use it imageimage

• Outlaw is a much cheaper option and plenty of pirates going there image
  • or Ironman Wales on 11/9/11
  • how about a target of the Vitruvian in 2011, while actually entering the annual pirate IM for 2012, (you have  probably got to be on the ball for the euro events......)

Nice well attended pirate event, nice target of a half, so you can use the sprint and oly as the build up.

• Hi everyone. Had a read back and thought I would bounce this thread. Well…… Two years is a long time in Triathlon and today I completed my 3rd Fleetwood Sprint Tri Knocking 10 mins off my original 2010 time.

Over the past couple of years I have been bitten by the triathlon bug pretty bad and have completed 8 sprints, 2 Olympic and this year’s Vitruvian… not bad for an overweight middle aged asthmatic image.

On this journey I have learnt many new and interesting things such as the difference between 105 and Dura ace (about a grand), the respective merits of various training programmes (swim more, ride your bike and run about a bit) along with lots of new and interesting words & phrases like cadence, groupset, HRM, lactic threshold and bonking. It’s also become apparent to me just how many things it is possible to spend money on in a vain attempt to be a less slow triathlete. I now have a posh carbon bike road bike imagealong with lots of shoes, gadgets, lycra and sunglassesimage I am still slow image

Most of all over the past two years I have also been fortunate to meet loads of new and interesting people including a few of the pirates who previously would have existed only in a parallel universe. Really friendly and supportive ordinary people doing extraordinary things

Still not yet committed to doing the full Iron distance yet but now at least I can comprehend what it will take to do it.  2013 ????

• imageimage Go on you know you want to. image