Options

Fundraising Ideas

2»

Comments

• Options
    It is fair to say that the LM is the biggest mara in the country. Look it even has its own section. I can completely see why people want to do it. That's what got me running initially.

Somehow doing the lower netherborne puppies trust marathon round the industrial estate doesn't have the same buzz ?
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    It is fair to say that the LM is the biggest mara in the country. Look it even has its own section. I can completely see why people want to do it. That's what got me running initially. Somehow doing the lower netherborne puppies trust marathon round the industrial estate doesn't have the same buzz ?
    Cougie - thats my PB course...dont take the piss.
  • Options

LOL Nick.

You just made me spit out a mouthful of coffee. Ta very much! image

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    The awkward-buggerthwaite half in Cumbria is my half PB course. image
  • Options
    Hi Muppley, I always do a sweep stake, where the "punters" pick a time out of a bag, I usually do 4.00 hours to 5.30 hours, charging £2 a time. The person with the winning time wins some cash or a prize. This is always really popular and means you wont have to bother too many people with a sponsorship form.

This year I didn't get a ballot place so I'm hoping to get one with a charity I do voluntary work for. I suppose I could enter another marathon but to be honest I have absolutely no interest in it. Its London all the way for me. Always has been, always will be!!

Good luck with your fundraising and your training.

• Options

Running a marathon means doing it in an organised event, surely, rather than just completing the distance anywhere.  I don't think the 100 marathon club accept "I ran along the A24 for 13.1 miles on my Garmin then turned round & came home" as one of your 100.

But I agree it doesn't have to be London though.  My first one was the now defunct Kingston marathon, and jolly good it was too.

• Options

anyway.this is  not a thread to discuss whether or not to run for charity................its just a request for fundraising ideas..............I think its a good idea as loads of people will be fundraising over the next few months.........not just those who have a golden bond..........

with Christmas coming up maybe you ac think of someway to make something for that...........have yougot  afriuend relative or your self that can make something simple that could be poular like a little knitted robin to go over a chocolate tree ball or something.........

You could ask your local supermarket to have a collection tin at the entrance.this is a good earner but you have to apply well in advance......

good luck with the fund raising and the training

• Options

As seren says, not the place to discuss the gold bond thing .... however tempted I am.

Did a big fundraiser last year.  Team effort, we had a minimum of £5K to raise but made just under £8K in the end, in about 4 months.

What we found was that people expect something in exchange these days - they are not keen just to hand over cash for the privilege of letting you do something you want to do.  I don't blame them, unless it is a close friend I am the same.

Our biggest moneyspinners were a Race Night with raffle (£1500) but that was with a lot of leg work for sponsorship for races/prizes/raffle prizes.  This was my one and it was a lot of work.  Next biggest was a plant and cake sale at local shopping centre (£800) but that was with everyone chipping in a lot of baking or bringing plants/cuttings from gardens.

We did 3 bag packing sessions with local supermarkets - took between £250 and £500 per afternoon with between 4 and 8 people.  Best take was at a local M&S food store on a Saturday.

It was a lot of work and a lot of effort and I wouldn't ever take on something like this on my own.  Even with a few of us together I spent more time fund raising than I did training for the event.  Good Luck.

• Options

The No1 fundraising idea that will work every time and see you hit your target is to run for a charity that you give a monkey's about in the first place.  

• Options
    Agreed Mr Puffy.  The charity we did our event for is one we work closely with at work.  We know the work they do very well, could explain it to everyone who asked and are all very enthusiastic about it.  People did ask.
  • Options
    Mr. Puffy wrote (see)

The No1 fundraising idea that will work every time and see you hit your target is to run for a charity that you give a monkey's about in the first place.  

and do they give a monkeys about the charity runner then? do they even know what their 1st name is.

i have researched the charity i know what they are about and what they do so when people ask what they are giving their money for i can tell them

This thread was only looking for "ideas" of how to fundraise affectively not a debate about "Golden Bond" places im sure that can be another thread

i want to run london like thousands of other people and like thousands of other people applied to charities to run for them

london marathon is the 1st marathon that i personally want to finish and the i will then run others after

• Options

I appreciate that you wanted fundraising ideas not a debate  and that the charity you are running for will win out of your place as well as you being able to achieve the marathon.

My Fundraising tip for you would be to go and spend some time with Phabkids at one of their clubs. Get inspired by the charity. Speak to some of their supporters find out why it matters to them and run on behalf of them. Make your charity place really worth while - not just for the money that the charity will receive. Maybe you can help raise their profile? even if they get one more supporter from it they will really appreciate it!

I have to agree with Mr Puffy tho - If you are running for a charity you actually care about fundraising is much easier. Your place may have cost someone who has a disabled child and really supports the charity the chance to do their bit, and really do something where they deserve to be sponsored.

I am not saying that you don't deserve to be sponsored, but I would perhaps suggest not advertising the fact that you are only supporting the charity because you could get a place in the London Marathon. that would be more a way to turn people off the idea!

Have you considered why you have to raise so much for charities in order to run the Marathon for them,? Find out how much they have to pay for a place, and make that your own personal target. I think you will be suprised how much charities fork out for places. They don't do so so people can do a run!

Part of the appeal of the London Marathon, and one of the reasons it is such an amazing Marathon to do is that so many people are doing it for causes that they truely believe in. The more and more people that run for charity because it is the only way they can get a place, the less this emotion will be in the Marathon. You are not alone.  and am not having a go! - my partner despirately wanted to run the marathon - he ran for a charity that did great stuff but ran for them just because he could get a place with them. He ended up having to pay lots of his sponsorship himslef as the passion wsn't there for the fundraising. People were less inclined to sponsor him becasue they were basically paying for him to do something that he enjoyed doing.

I am running my first marathon for a charity that I REALLy believe in. I am dreading it. But  I have to complete it. I am really challenging myself - not for my own pleasure I can assure you!

Good Luck with the fundraising - getting inspired and April 17th! 

Rant Over.

• Options
    I did a bottle tombola when I did London a few years ago - raised over £200 in an hour over lunchtime - there are a couple of thousand people in my company though.  I did the sweepstake finishing time as well - the company donated an extra days holiday as a prize which was brilliant.  I also raffled a bottle of champange, and did cake, book and sweet stalls.  The fundrasing was really hard work. I did it on a running club place, raised nearly £1600.  Applied for a charity place which I didn't get, but decided to raise money for them anyway.  It was a bit different I suppose as I didn't have the pressure of HAVING to raise the money.
  • Options

God, is this what it has come to? image

This is ridiculous beyond words.

• Options
    Moraghan wrote (see)

God, is this what it has come to? image

This is ridiculous beyond words.

What is?
  • Options

Muppley good luck with your marathon I was lucky enough to get a place for next year. I love this marathon and I am fascinated by the outcry it seems to attract. I realise there are many more marathons to run that enable you to get a PB and some that are a hell of a lot more scenic but I do think London has a certain cudos that some people love. I have had a great time every time I have done it and some fantastic weekends out of it. So I hope you have a wonderful day Muppley and go on to do many more marathons.

As far as fundraising goes someone told me to buy some tubes of smarties, give them to your friends/relatives tell them to eat smarties and fill tube up with  20p peices I forget how much that makes but I think it will be a good return. Get your friends to dress up as ST Trinians do pub crawl with buckets -make money. if you have children or maybe people at work ask school to do an own clothes day for a £1.00 that could raise a bit. With other suggestions on here I'm sure you will raise a good amount. Ask your mates to have cheese and wine parties, coffee and cake mornings etc Im sure they will love to give you a hand raising money.

Good luck hope you have fun!

• Options
    First of all, congrats on getting your fundraising started! Raising support for a worthy cause can be super rewarding.

One route you might want to consider is setting up a homepage for your group on a fundraising website.

Raising support online is much simpler and more tidy than raising funds via cash or check (most sites can link donations straight to your bank account through a merchant processor). And having a group page gives you a central place to post information, photos and let people know what you do - this helps you promote your cause to friends, family and whoever else you want.

There are plenty of sites these days that help groups meet their goals - here are some good options:

First Giving (www.firstgiving.com) is a solid one. They charge about 5% on donations raised and have a simple structure to set up your page (though you may have to be a certified non-profit to register with them).

If that's the case, another option is Empowered (www.empowered.org). They process about 3.5% on donations raised, offer lots of tools to help organize/fundraise, and I know they support all small groups, regardless of non-profit status.

And you could always try to send up your own PayPal account to link to you directly, but this is a little trickier and a bit inflexible.

Good luck getting your fundraising going, I hope this helps!
  • Options
    I agree with Mickey. FirstGiving is a great site. I know a popular musician who used it to raise funds for the victims of the Japan tsunami and he was able to raise a lot of funds.

You can also use Facebook. I believe they have this "Causes" app. I haven't used Facebook for a long time now so I don't know if the app is still up. (Hey, that rhymed!)

You can also check out these fundraising ideas. There are a lot of solid ideas in there that you can easily implement.