Sub 3h15

Comments

• I accidentally watched a bit of 'Loose Women' on tv today, while I was trying to tune in to the lunchtime news.  When guest Huey Morgan said he'd be interviewing a couple of undead Rolling Stones later today, the audience broke into a spontaneous round of applause.  I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard. 

But that was before I checked in here.  This thread has now exceeded that level of ridiculousness with the revelation that some of you don't even know how to pronounce the word scone.  Only Hyacinth Bucket would claim that it should rhyme with con.  Everyone else knows that it's an elongated o, as in bone, cone, scone. 

In less pressing matters, I hope that every Abingdon runner returns home with a glowing sense of achievement and a shiny new PB.  Good luck to you all. 

I almost convinced myself to turn up and narrowly fail to break 4 hours.  But luckily I suffered a nasty groin strain whilst losing at badminton recently, so now I've been excused from games for the rest of term.

• Scone as in gone for me!

Hey again Keir - what've you been up to then?

Checkout the "talk training" sections of Talk Ultra over the past few weeks - makes you think quite differently about carb loading (which come to think of it has never worked for me) and your overall diet. Basic idea they are trying to get across is that eating carbs switches off your fat burning metabolism and you are much more likely to crash out, takes a while to adjust your body to a lower carb diet but there seem to be benefits.

This campaign I've followed their basic guidance of 40:30:30 calories from carbsimagerotein:fat by making some minor changes to my diet and I'm now 3kg lighter than before and nowhere near as desperately hungry. Haven't put an ounce on over the past 3 weeks since being benched either. Just need a race to try out a non-carb load prep!!
  • SJ- great! 2 days out from my first marathon, all carbed up and now getting paranoid that I will crash and burn as my fat burning mech is turned off image
  • DM - watch out for those Ultra tips - they will have you loaded down with peanut butter sandwiches, maltloaf and a litre of flat coke at the start line.image

My 'carb loading' is going nicely this week - already regained 2Kg. There is a lot to say for eating yourself out of misery.

• Sorry DM - sure it will all be fineimage
  • Keir's back! 

Scone is pronounced skonn. The end. 

Bread buns are not sweet, and they are in fact made of bread. 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    All this talk of scones (cones) is making me hungry, a nice big dollop of cream and Jam........nom nom!

Good luck to all the marathoners on Sunday, can't remember all, Poacher, Fraser, DM and JD3. Anyone else?

Easy week of running for me, out most days in the pi$$ing rain, which hasn't helped the cold that I can't seem to shift.

Hi keir, hope the training is going ok. Are you getting ready for a bit of winter marathon training.

TAR- your posts crack me up! image
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    @r all about baked comestibles

SJ that's very interesting about carbo loading. Maybe the difference with ultras is that (1) if you have rely on carbo loading, it probably means you haven't done the requisite training and are in for a good kicking, and (2) you can eat solid food on an ultra, so less need for pre- loading. Actually I have always loaded more for maras than for ultras. Different sports.

Hi Keir, have you been incommunicado becoming really really fast to show the rest of us up?
  • 8 quicker miles for me today. Plan was 7:15 pace, just to get the legs ticking over. Once warmed up I came closer to 7 min miles, so pushed on. 8 miles at 7:57 pace. I was working much to hard at the end. Happy to have got it done, but stressed to think I have delusions of running at 7:51 pace for 3 hours next April.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend. Scone is (s)gone

• Good luck all who are running this weekend. Hope you all hit your goals.

Scooby - hope you made a typo and are not defieing the laws of time - I'm sure you will do the 3hr, but with plenty of 6:51s!!

First run this week. Managed a whole 0.4m. One leg healthy and wanting to run. The other seemed to be dragged along for the ride.
  • 6 miles for me tonight and all is well. Massive step down in aerobic fitness but that is to be expected. Legs are great and shoulder is improving. Step change that I am talking in distance rather than minutes.

AR - it will come!

DM - Gettin excited. Whats your A race, B race etc times?

• Indeed a typo, ended up as 8 miles at 6:57 (not use to writing sub 7 min times).

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Wishing all the racers the best of luck for the weekend!

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Can I ask the forum for their views on the Hansons Marathon Method?  http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=4447

I have been reading their book and like what they say and wondered about trying it out for Boston.  Anything to avoid injury again really and I like the idea of cumulative fatigue and longer daily runs with my paced efforts. I recall Sally F did something similar for VLM this year? 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes good luck to the racers. Entries for the York brass monkey open at 7am tomorrow. It will be full by lunchtime.

No miles here today but an enormous fish pie  image. I'll do the parkrun tomorrow but my hip is in a poor state so not expecting much. image

• Anyone here do the unload/preload?

I've tried it a couple of times when seeking out that few seconds across a whole marathon. Once you try something and the plan fails to go tits up, that seems to make it a successful strategy.

• Bloody hell! Hello Blisters! And Keir is back, too! I's all too much...

To settle the matter, scone rhymes with own, and I would invite anyone who says different to come and, erm, have a go, if they think they're hard enough. 

Very best of luck to Lorenzo (3:59:59?) and all the Abo crew. Yes, phantom niggles are normal, but good luck wrestling with that carb-loading debate.

Right, out I go, feeling a bit nesh today...

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Good luck racers! Go get 'em. image
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Minni.. did you get into the BM ok?  I got in eventually but took me about 30 mins after the pages kept timing out!

• Mennania- plan A is to dip under 3.10. Plan B is GFA
  • Sorry, half message cut off- GFA is 3.15 for me.

Course is hilly, undulating and challenging in words of organiser. I have trained at sub 3 paces in PD schedule so hopefully well prepared on revised target. It's my first time so want to keep it real and manageable.

Out for final 4 miler now which seems wrong but hey what do I know, PD must be right?

Best wishes to everyone else racing tomorrow.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Best of luck to the Abo crew and any other racers this weekend.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Wardi - I got straight though.  Paid via Paypal and got confirmation but then my name didn't appear on the list and the entry was still in the shopping basket.  I tried to contact the administrator though the site but the message crashed.  After an anxious hour I processed it again using my card and its now through... but I've paid £40. image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good wishes to all tomorrow's marathon racers . . . . .
    Good to hear from Keir & TAR once more

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

MsE - just had a skim through the Hanson plan - best of luck if you decide to try it - I wouldn't have the confidence to cap the long runs at 16 miles. Also I'm not convinced that anyone (Hanson's partner) would deliberately follow a marathon plan they insisted wouldn't work, just to prove their point -

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I see Rase Jase has entered the BM too.  If I didn't know better I'd think he was stalking me! image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    On the road later and v busy so:

Hope to see some of you at Abingdon, as ever I'm the tall baldy geezer in the yellow Stockport kit, no 119. Good luck to all.

Ditto Lorenzo, have a good one and make it sub4 at the very least.
  • Oxford english dictionary;

"There are two possible pronunciations of the word scone: the first rhymes with gone and the second rhymes with tone. In US English the pronunciation rhyming with tone is more common. In British English the two pronunciations traditionally have different regional and class associations, with the first pronunciation associated with the north of England and the northern working class, while the second is associated with the south and the middle class."

Guess I am a northern Oik then.image

• Go for it tomorrow chaps - looking forward to tales of heroism and glory tomorrow night!!!
  • XC for me today. Ouch. Got a stitch towards the end of the first lap and had to run poking my finger into my side for the next 2.2 miles. Managed to hold my position but got distinctly slower and slower. There was some good mud though, and I got covered in it! image Rubbish time but 16th is OK for the North Mids league - fairly easy courses, lots of speedy folks. East Mids League tomorrow - shorter but tougher courses that the fast runners rarely bother with. Should finish a bit higher up the field!

Good luck to the Abo crew tomorrow!