Sub 3h15

Comments

• Just quickly, while there's a multisport theme going on: one of the things that appeals to me about running (apart from the fact you can do it straight from your front door and only need a pair of trainers) is that there are standard distances , 10k, HM, marathons etc, so PBs are possible. It seems that with triathlon there is a similar scheme, with Olympic distances, Half IMs, and IronMan distances (and I presume other ones in the same way that you get perculiar distance running). But in cycling there doesn't (from my very minimal research ) seem to be any uniform targets. In other words, what do cyclists aim for? Do you get 50M pbs for example or is it just about finishing high up in a race? Is there a cycling equivilant to a mrathon?

I'd love to try and do a triathlon once I've achived more running, but drowning would be a very real danger: perhaps biathlons.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Time trials are over measured distances, similar to running. Standard pb distances are (and I will shamelessly give my pbs for each distance, just to show TR I am not that much of a wimp image)

10m - 21.09

25m - 56.25

50m 1.54.41

100m 3.59.23

12hr 264m

Road races (where you race to be the first over the line rather than quickest over the set distance) are all odd distances, but generally the better the category of rider, the further the race. 

• JD3, It's quite possible to go from being a runner to being able to swim stupid distances in a relatively short space of time. I was firmly in the "swims like a brick" category.
    01 May: 25m crawl
    08 May: 20x 25m in one session
    08 Jun: 400m continuous
    13 Jun: 800m continuous
    15 Jun: 1000m continuous
    14 Aug: 1600m (1 pool mile)
    14 Sep: 2000m
    09 Oct: 2500m
    It's not a pretty thing to watch, and it's not fast, but I'm lucky in that the more I do the better I get.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - wasnt calling you a wimp, but if you want to call yourself one....ha ha .............I was pointing out that I like the mental challenge of things, you find turbo boring, you are probably more normal than me..............I ride the same routes, run the same routes, turbo the same sessions just to see that I still can ! the boredom of a 2hr turbo becomes the challenge of the boredom of a 2hr turbo. VLM is just to prove than I still can.
    I read a new quote the other day that went something along the lines of "you can quit and others will see it and they wont care. but you will". Nail on the noggin for me.

• Keir- 12 hours on a bicycle seat!!!!???? Are you downright radio rental sir?? Mighty impressive. Did your buns continue to assume a saddle shaped dimple for a week or two after ?

I agree with TR- the boredom element is worth 20 per cent or more every time. Track marathon anyone??
  • Ouch, Keir I assume you invested in an amazing pair of cycling shorts to protect your undercarriage! Interesting to see that you do 50miles in the time it takes me to do 30.... Respeck
  • UTMB is on the tv on C4 next Wednesday at 3:30am for those masochists among you who might be interested.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Cheers for the tip SJ. I reckon that is one for the video. 

I couldn't feel the tips of a few of my toes until 3 months later Fraser! Funny enough, when you are doing that sort of mileage in training your 'undercarrage' becomes immune. I get more pain now after a 60m ride than I every did after 150m.

Good swimming progression there blisters. How many times per week do you get in the pool to achieve that?

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

264miles in 12 hours is going some Keir.

I once did the Styrkeproven, which is 330 miles but it did take almost 24 hoursimage

The effect on the nether regions lasted for several months and I was unable to eat a banana for yearsimage

That said - a highly recommended event for anyone that feels underchallenged by running a 3 hour marathonimage

• We have had photos of Poachers toes after ultra runs. Keir Any photos after your ultra ride?

6 miles recovery tonight. Felt like a golf ball in my right calf the entire run. Lots of ice and drugs. Not happy. It seems 15 on Sunday and 14 last night (all slow) was too much for my delicate legs. Most frustrating as the 14 felt so easy last night, my endurance was definately on the up.

• That programme on the UTMB is also on at 7.35am on Sunday on C4 (and an hour later on C4 +1), just in case you don't want to stay up all night. 

• Keir - you still use a video and VHS tapes?

• Awesomely quick and long biking there Keir, as others have said. I'm actually struggling to get much past 70 miles at the moment, due to contact point considerations and adjacent rubbing. Further work on this challenge is planned over the coming weeks.

Re the swimming, I get one coaching session a week, as part of a group. This is backed up by two other swims typically, although when we are on holiday it was a daily hour.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    knight rider wrote (see)

Keir - you still use a video and VHS tapes?

Yep. image

Little keir No. 3 woke at 4.15 at which point I felt so tired I 're-evaluated' the wisdom of setting my alarm for 5.30am. Reset for 1hr later and I have taken a rest day instead. I've a long day at work - after work staff training followed by governors meeting so I feel justified in removing a 90min run from a 14hr work day. 

Definately getting colder. Is anyone still in shorts?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Keir - looks like a good decision with such a long day. Ran in tights yesterday morning first thing. Probably didn't need them to be honest. The gloves haven't made an appearance yet though - saving those for the really cold stuff.

All this talk of cycling made me think I was on the Sub 3 thread.....

• I'm still in shorts. If it's really cold I'll add a long sleeve top and maybe gloves, but never tights/leggings/whatever.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

DS2 - in case I don't get another chance GOOD LUCK for tomorrow!  image Really looking forward to hearing all about it and I really hope you get through to the next stage.   You'll definitely get my vote. image

If however you do not get through then don't fret.  There's more than enough knowledge and experiece on here to get you to where you want to be.  image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

LTR - I don't mind tights in the really cold weather. But it's a great feeling come March time to get back out of them and feel free again. Seems to add a spring to the step. Could be just that the tights have made me really slow, of course!

Off to Asics Target 26.2 bootcamp tonight. Not sure what I'll need to wear? Probably layers but when we do the track stuff I won't want to be in much. Knight rider?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Good luck DS2. You will want to stand out in the minds of the coaches / judges to be picked. How about running the track stuff in a chicken costume?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Keir - do you have one you could lend me - is it thermal? image

Minni - thanks for the good wishes. I am going firstly to enjoy it rather than to get stressed. If I get through, fantastic, but my A goal was initially the Halstead marathon 5 weeks later than Paris and I have assumed nothing will change. be delighted if I do get the chance but more important to stay part of the running community in general.

I will do my best 'not to be sh!te'!

• Good luck to all of the guinea pigs....remember to smile for the cameras!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks MS - I'll take with me my 'Simon Cowell' dentures!

• Yes, good luck DS2. Looking forward to your report on the day image

I confess I wore tights at the Norwich HM on Sunday. Wasn't intending to, but just chickened out of taking them off at the last minute! I also wear gloves more than many people as I get very cold hands - slightly poor circulation.  Plus I like a base later and a hat.  OK, I'm a wimp and not too proud to admit it image

• Good luck, DS2.

Good news this end: second attempt at a test-run and the neck seems pretty ok.  Phew.  Cross-country on Saturday is back on and it'll be a proper mud-bath!

• Enjoy Jools!

Good luck DS2. Looking forward to your report back image
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks all. That sounds like (he says tentatively) good news Jools.

• Good luck DS2

Good news Jools

• Bad news from the physio - at least another 3 weeks out, so I think that comfortably puts the lid on any attempt at VLM. I'm wondering about an autumn marathon (Abingdon or maybe the new Bournemouth race), but I'm not very good at running distance in the summer, so maybe I'll just be focussing on shorter distances in 2014.

• Good luck DS2, excellent news Jools, sorry to hear you are still struggling BOTF.

I am still in shorts, but with gloves. It would have to be totally Baltic for me to consider leggings/tights-although I do posess them, I have never worn them.

10 miles this morning at 8mm at 7am. - Thats my 4th pre work run in two weeks. I am starting to become a convertee.