Sub 3h15

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

How about 'fastest marathon runner pulling someone along on roller blades'?  I'll be on the roller blades!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Surely you need to continue ticking off the rainbow colours Martin. (p.s. I've already got my eyes on one of those records!)

Impressive stat Minni. Is this something that mentoring has driven you to, or a strategy you are going to try to maintain through 2013?

• You can never take the girl out of the north east...

Minni I am working, so no kettle.  Not around much at the moment due to "winter training camps"' ha ha

Liking your other thread Keir but it's very technical, bit highbrow for us funrunners

Martin, abiding memory of VLM this year is seeing on the start line next to that guy dressed a runner bean, and Efe Col wondering what the heck he was doing associating with a bunch of nutters....

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Indeed, 10M per bottle of wine is good going Minni (on the wine front). I'm alternating 90mins-2hrs of running and turbo most days this week, but am not doing so well on the booze front, just a few beers here and there.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Don't worry Poacher. I plan on reporting a shit in my hat on Sundays LSR. 

• Minni Will that mean half a bottle every 5 miles on race day?

Really struggling with motivation at the moment. Not sure if due to just returning home and time of year etc. Anyway, finally forced myself out at 4pm for 9 miles. Approx 4 miles in my right shin started hurting slightly. I finished the run and it still hurts, no obvious signs of any knock. concerned it could be a sign of over training.

• Don't do that Keir, I just choked on my 7th bottle of wine.
  • BTW the new year honours are published at midnight so if you want to know whether any sporting heroes/heroines have been recognised, turne in tomorrow.
  • TR/Minni I'm sad to say that my wine to exercise balance is somewhat skewed. However, my inability to count accurately after a certain point in the procedings leaves me with the scales and the waist band as measures. Given the size of the waist band I'm going nowhere near those scales.

Gale force winds tearing across the country tomorrow. With heavy rain. That sounds like an incentive to use an indoor training device. Please shoot me after a certain point. (Hey, can I use the laptop when I'm training?)

• Well as impressive as Minni's ratio appears I am operating on a 1:1 miles to wine bottle diet at the moment so there

Keir, sounds like your mentoring is paying off if you can be so accurate with your planning!image

Scoobs, get it repeatedly iced, rest for a couple of days and stretch those calves
  • SD - take care of that shin!
    More wet and windy conditions here. I had planned to do a freedom parkrun this morning but part of the course was still under water. I had already decided that I need to ease back into a bit of speedwork to get ready for my sub 40 campaign this spring, so instead I did 5 x 300m relaxed intervals off 300m recoveries; turned out at about 5:17 m/m. Another 8.25 miles done and a rest day tomorrow, making a total of 32.5 miles this week, which brings me to 1492.72 for the year so far.

• I did 7 bumpy miles last night, and came close to twisting/spraining/breaking my ankle not once but twice, stepping awkwardly on a kerb. This followed on from oh-so-nearly falling down the stairs the other day and bashing the sole of my left foot. In short, be careful, it's a minefield out there. And in there, as well.

Trying to work up enthusiasm to get out for another 6-8 miles, before heading off to Santander until Tuesday. The New Year's "celebrations", never all that effusive in Mrs. Ant's family (I'll be taking my own beer and wine, otherwise I'll be unlikely to get any) will include the San Silvestre, the traditional NYE race held in every town and village across Spain. Hoping to beat 22:00 for the 5.6 kilometres.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi all, trust everyone had a good xmas? Been lurking rather than posting - nothing of note happening here. Still base building and have managed 4 weeks totalling 150 miles which is best for many years!

Ant - had a rather nasty fall a couple of days ago myself near the end of a 10 miler. Hit the deck hard on my face. Luckily, other than a few grazes to my face and hands got off lightly. Right arm a bit sore now but not causing any real discomfort.

• Sounds like everybody has developed a knack of hurtling into inanimate objects like the floor... Be careful folks

Nice plan for a solo binge Ant. Do the relatives just sit there and watch you get lashed? Good luck in the race

Nice one Gul, 1500 nearly inthe bag!

How's the shin today Scoobs? Whereabouts does it hurt?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

DS2 - good stuff. Thats a decent 4 weeks, I'm on 145 for Decemeber with 1 run to go tomorrow, which is my biggest monthe since March. How do you feel ? smoked or tired ? achy legs ?

Blisters - watching the Laptop or TV is cheating, I'll allow you a HRM display, other than that its looking at the garage door. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

SJ - made me laught to think of Ant sitting getting hammered on his own and everyone looking at him like some kind of freak show!

Gul - good years work!

TR - actually pretty good. I listened to the things you and a few others a while back and have taken my time and not run too hard most of the time. I'm running 5 times a week now and handling it pretty well. Last year I tried to run a schedule starting at 40 miles per week but wasn't ready so as soon as I started I felt really tired. This year I feel the base is good and I will handle 55-70 ok. Time will tell. How about you? Are you doing less on the bike/in the pool now?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

DS2 - not less bike, less swimming for a couple of weeks as I usually only swim workday lunchtimes (with the odd extra swim in the summer months). My VLM running will simply be 2 or 3 running commute days and a long run, its not enough to get me under 2:50 but should keep me under 3hrs. 5 runs/week and feeling pretty good is a nice place to be, you have obviously slowed the running down. You have been building base, whilst building fitness without burning too many matches. well done so far. Look at it as pre-training training.

• Well, that was a 19 miler on knackered legs to put hairs on your chest (if only I wanted them!).  Conditions were windy, wet and altogether vile.  Took 4 attempts to get the front door open when I got back because my hands were so bliddy frozen.  I enjoyed the last 5 minutes simply because it meant the run was nearly over...

Ant: have a lovely NYE.  I enjoyed SJ's image of you getting bladdered while the rellies sit and watchimage

DS2: sounds like you are base building nicely.

Everyone: stay upright image

• DS2 wrote (see)

SJ - made me laught to think of Ant sitting getting hammered on his own and everyone looking at him like some kind of freak show!

Sounds like last April in Chandos! image

I was a bit luckier than Jools this morning - conditions not quite as windy and the rain held off. Went off road and it was pretty darned muddy - plenty of slipping around and difficult to get traction on the uphill parts.

Ended up with 18.75 miles but felt like at least 20 - I'm too embarrassed to reveal the time but will claim it as a "time on feet" type run. Still, that's my longest run for a couple of months so no complaints.

Hope Scoobs is feeling a bit better.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Everybody seems a bit accident prone since I went away!

Well after the double interval session (at Churchill Playing Fields for the track Minni), my calves were mashed. They feel like somebody has hit them with hammers. So I had a day off yeaterday, followeed by a 12 mile plod round Derwentwater this am. It's very wet in the Lakes but still mild and enjoyable. Hope my calves recover before the assault on Skiddaw on New Years Day.

Great distance run in those conditions Joolska. I need 13 tomorrow to meet my target of a 50 mile week. 

• The oddest thing about the Chandos session is that I (and Scooby no doubt) have been training all year in Ant's cast off clothes image 

Gul c'mon 8 more miles for the big landmark

Joolska, Lorenzo, nice long ones in challenging conditions

Parkrun is now getting silly, it's like the Somme, even the spikes barely connect with solid ground. More ringers this week so down to 5th in 19.21

• Decision has been made (more importantly - permission has been granted), I'm having another attempt at the marathon in 2013, Last completed one was in 2010 and that wasn't a great success. So the training begins and I can stop lurking and start posting again, without feeling a fraud.

Did a parkrun this morning, 19:08 for 25th place.

Gul: I assume the sub 40 is for 10K? If you can hit 5:17 pace in intervals I would have thought you would be a cert for a sub 40, what's your current PB?

Ant: Is the 5.6k a hilly race or is the fitness still to come back?

DS2: Nice bit of base building.

SJ: What's your target this year?

TR: Good to see that you're still sharing your wisdom and helping those that are prepared to listen.

Jools: Have you beaten the sub 3 demon yet?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

TR - yes, I got a bit silly a few weeks ago when the Asics thing was on the horizon but I'm feeling blessed I didn't make it now. I wouldn't have been confident of an assault on sub 3:15 on 7 April. The extra 5 weeks has given me extra confidence. Lovely place to be - sub 3 on 5 runs a week. Mind you the cycling work must really help.

Jools - great tenacity. Luckily my 4.5 miles was windy, but dry and mild. 19 miles in those conditions at this stage........image

It is Saturday today isn't it? I've lost track! Especially with all that long running going on and talk of Chandos. Spring marathons must be getting close!!!

Welcome back onegoodleg. Nice Parkrun. What time are you aiming for and what marathon are you targetting?

• OGL, good to have you back. What are you targeting? I've entered Manchester again but the main goal for the year is an Ironman in July. I've just started the (30 week!!) training schedule for that and it is a bit light on running e.g. 3hrs of easy running this week plus 2x1hr swim sessions and 3hrs on the bike. So not sure what run shape I'll be in by April. Although I'm tentatively coming back from injury so a full run programme would be off the cards anyway! I'll just be happy to get to the start line uninjured and I'll probably run Manchester as a training run with no taper like I did last year (7minute PB - lol) and go all out in an autumn race.

Quality mucking in from Jools and Lorenzo!

5 for me offroad across Cartmel Valley in a very responsible 135bpm in the new trail shoes. Foot still feeling OK so all is well with the world image
  • Welcome back onegoodleg, it's been a while. Woke up to pouring rain again, so it must have been parkrun day. Really wasn't feeling it after too much junk food and gallons of fizzy pop yesterday, so ran it at MP. I hope to god I feel better than that after the first 5k of the marathon! 

• OGL, glad to have you back.
    Lorenzo and Jools, you two are proper hardcore.

Joolska wrote (see)

Well, that was a 19 miler on knackered legs to put hairs on your chest (if only I wanted them!).  Conditions were windy, wet and altogether vile.  Took 4 attempts to get the front door open when I got back because my hands were so bliddy frozen.  I enjoyed the last 5 minutes simply because it meant the run was nearly over...

Personally, I spent an altogether far more pleasant 3h20m on the turbot, knocking out 52 miles. Whilst bike training I double tasked with watching a PADI Scuba Diving DVD, so I was Scuba training too!

• Geez Blisters, that's a long time on the trainer but nice multi tasking.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hello OGL - are you doing the cross countries this season?

I also did the parkrun @ HMP. imageimage.

However this was slower than Speedy's MP image and felt much harder than HMP imageimage I wish I hadn't had that bottle of wine last night.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Blisters - I got Beats headphones for Christmas so I can have my rock DVDs on at full blast when on the turbo. image 3:20 though...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

DS2 - I was concerned that you'd be a mentally spent force by Feb the way you were going, so its nice to see that you've calmed down. Keep the 5 x week going, building the distances and then you'll be ready to push on a bit by Feb.

OGL - which mara ? I'm happy to help those that want it, but most folks dont need it here nowadays, lots on here have raised the bar a lot simply by seeing others do the same, more folks are running PBs and sub3s, but more folks now post about higher mileage, PnD, MLRs etc so its no surprise. Its still not rocket science, although I respect that keir might need a little bit of it to get under 2:50 (and see teh ladies equivalent which is sub3). Approaching 2:45 (or sub 3 for the ladies) is a step up in class from where I am, but like i said to DS2 I'm happy with my lot.

Blisters - 3h20 watching the TV ! 2hr top limit here, but it was a hard 2hrs today (15min w/u, 5x12min(pushing a biggish gear ~80rpm)/3min steady, 2x12min(trying to turn a gear lower at 90rpm)/3min steady. Good job I can swim ok now as the puddle was getting a bit large.