Sub 3h15

Comments

• Blisters, I fly round Texas a lot and the signs at check in say: "It is a federal offence to carry a loaded handgun onto the plane." Such a variation across the world.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Moof et al - I am a typing tool. Got myself all confused and others too. replace all the 1s with a 3 except the 1 which is a 5k 1 and it makes senseimage. So I am gunning for 36.xx and will start out at 36.30 pace and go from there.

Nice reps Ant and see you there. Glad things are improving on the niggle side for both you and Minni.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Menn - I presumed that was what you meant. I am sure you will do it! Is it a tough course?

Nice reps ANT! Are you planning an attack on a 10k soon?

Gul - I am astonished at the mileage you cover whilst the rest of the UK is sleeping. What are you training for at the mo?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ant - how's the foot?

bike it - this is nothing to do with your name but do you bike? I've been doing a bit while injured and was thinking it could probably be good to build up the long rides when training for endurance events. 5 or 6 hours on the bike is doable but the same running in training would take much more out of you. (I think image)

• Awesome PMJ, so it's legal to take the ammo in a separate pocket?

Minni: Biking is good as a cross training, or even second tier of training in a day. 6 hours of biking could (I repeat COULD) see you doing 100 miles. It's about as tiring as 3 or 4 hours running. And yes, the run takes more out of your legs. My back gets hammered on the bike though. 

A great addition to run training is a 20 mile bike ride done at an attack pace. Tempo, or 10k or whatever, pace. If you can't walk you've got it. Even better if you do try to run afterwards. That's what sprint tri's are like.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

So I guess 20 miles with stabilisers and a shopping basket wouldn't cut the mustard, blisters? image

Its really hard for to cycle in the winter as its dark when I leave for work and dark when I get back. But I reckon I could do hours on the turbo (unlike the TM). We have a local event in May, which has various distances including 50m and 100m. I'm thinking of training for the 50 next year and the 100 in 2015, when I also hope to do Comrades. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I enjoy the bike but it takes up too much time. Used to bike to work everyday when I lived in Amsterdam, but hardly ever now. My machine was bought in a street market in Paris for 35 Euros. It's about 25 years old but alloy frame and light as a feather.

Parkrun tomorrow and will collect my 3rd prize in the annual points competition. Then a pacey 10 miler Sunday before winddown for my 6.5 mile race Wednesday. Any racers this w/end? 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO/GM - Next target is sub 90 at Peterborough HM in October. Currently in week 6 of 12 base training - should peak at 56 miles. OO - congrats on the parkrun prize - sounds like a busy weekend.
    Younger daughter had to get up very early this morning for a school trip to France - so a bit late out this morning (5:25) - 7 easy miles d&d.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Minni - I am biking very little now and have pretty much abondoned it in favour of running.  I agree with Blisters comments - to have the same effect on fitness as the LSR you have to bike for 2-3 times longer.  I also like fast sessions on the bike of around an hour.  Typically I either ride at tempo pace all the way or play 'coloured car' - if a car of a certain colour overtakes, then speed up until one of the same colour overtakes again and repeat until done.  Of course the great thing about the bike is that there is no impact so it is good if you are injured and also the recovery from a intense session is about half the time.

Scan on my calf this morning (the lower half of my leg rather than the offspring of a cow) and if I feel like it at lunchtime I'm going to take my dumbells for a walk and then throw them around.

No running for me this weekend at all (other than to rescue the kids from imminent peril)

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Surely time for a forum name change then Bike it?

Sounds like you've got some big endurance plans coming up then Minni. You are right that 5 - 6 hrs biking is possible. I think the pack of impact on the legs makes a huge difference. Runners also make better cyclists than the other way round from my experience. The turbo is horrible, but  it does get you fit. Some reckon 60mins on the turbo is equal to 90mins on the road (although it feels more like 3 hours sometimes!) - Glad to see your calf has recovered (toes crossed Ant's foot recovers soon as well).

Enjoy your Rome running / band camp week PMJ

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

course is flat and fast GM - no excusesimage

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I've got a great suggestion for you name bike it-   'run it' image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

In a surprise move I was straight in with the consultant at the hosipital who called me 'ultramarathon man'.  He asked me the case history and got me to stand on one leg and poked around a bit.  He sent me for xray and analysed it.  He said that he could see the bone itself looked slightly unusual and that the sheath (periosteum) that covers the bone was swollen in that area.  He will send me for a MRI scan.  So far he thinks it could potential be either a stress fracture or muscle tendon damage.  No running for me (he was very sure to tell me that twice) – cycling allowed.  It looks like I'm going doing a lot of cycling this summer - must change that forum name...

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good suggestion OO - right now 'limp it' is a bit more appropriateimage

• Been busy lately & will read back later. Quick post to report did a 5 mile race on Wednesday in Coventry. Garmin time of 30.55 and a bit disappointed as I did this one in 30.19 last year. Hope I'm not getting slower in my old age!

• Sorry to hear about the injury Bike it. I'm sure that injury sounds familiar: the sort of thing that the high mileage monsters would suffer. Do what the quack says.

Yes, I'm racing this weekend. Only half ironman though. Strangely I'm looking forward to being last out of the water, finding the bike with ease, and then trying to overtake as many as possible on bike and run stages. The best bit is that the run is a half decent length for a change: 13.1 miles. That should be amusing.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Take it easy BikeIt

Good luck Blisters!! Give it some fella. Which race are you doing?

Full on training to try to get a late surge of fitness for me. 2hr bike yesterday followed by 11 hilly miles with the club. 1hr 20 spinning bike this afternoon followed by steady 1hr run and just heading out to splash about in Windermere for an hour.

Early start tomorrow to take son to visit Leicester University for a tour (3.5hrs each way drive!) so enforced rest day.

Sunday will be 1hr swim, 6hr bike, 30min run (!!). Slap up tea to follow.

• Cotswold 113. My first at that distance.
    Have a great day yourself!

• Blisters  - Good luck!

Gerard / Minni - I have a 10k next Saturday, potentially. I can wait till Thusday before I have to enter, so I'll see how how I feel then. I don't want to do it unless I'm feeling in sub-40 shape, and in fact I don't actually want to do it at all as it's a horrible, pain-filled distance. On the other hand it would do me good viz-a-viz the preparations for the Lytham HM (14/7).

The foot is not that great although I did a 5-mile recovery yesterday and while very painful right at the start it eased off and let me forget about it afterwards.The other thing is that on top of my normal job I'm really busy at the moment, examining for Cambridge Uni - this weekend I'm doing Saturday and Sunday 9-8 for the second weekend on the spin - so I'm permanently knackered.

In short, the thought of that 10k fills me with dread - but I'll probably do it.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

A fine choice of Uni SJ. image Are you practising transition as well? Is this all at IM pace?

Is that at South Cerney Blisters? If so where does the bike route head out to?

I can relate the the examining work load Ant. I'm just polishing off an allocation of similar exam marking.

• I've cycled the bike route a couple of times now. It goes out by Fairford airfield. It's pan flat apart from a little section called Hannington Hill, which is not terribly long, but a good stand up and honk it section. The down bits are smooth and can be managed on aeros without the brakes.

We could get a weather window, but I don't think we'll need to worry about suncream. Not one for hayfever sufferers though, as the oil seed rape is in full bloom, and the run is in the tree lined perimeter track around the lakes. A few sneezes and snots and we'll be fine though.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Looks like a good event Blisters. Give it some hammer!!!!

Take it easy on that foot Ant. A 10k on a sore foot pushed mine over the edge last year.

Keir, I'll have a break after the swim for father's day brekkie and then do the bike and run back to back - should be interesting. Like the new avatar by the way! V cute junior tough mudder...

Water was Baltic tonight and then it hammered down with rain whilst trying (in vain) to get dry on the shore afterwards. Brrrrr

• Keir - I don't envy you that at all. In my case I am an oral examiner (no, please...) so it's a really nice job - trouble is there's hours and hours of it. Still, you won't hear me complain when the cash comes rolling in and effectively pays for my holiday in Provence this summerimage.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

the things people will do for money image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - that doesn't sound good, but at least the MRI scan will show the cause of the injury. Take care now.
    KR - that's still very speedy. And in fact, I'm sure you're actually getting faster.
    Blisters - only half ironman! Good luck.
    SJ - great session - the triathletes are taking over!
    Ant - hope the recovery goes well. Talking of Provence I'm currently reading some Marcel Pagnol.
    15 slow/easy miles d&d to round off the week (52 in total).

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Bike it - I like your idea of playing with the cars for effort. I don't see many cars while out ( I think I met two on my 22 miler last weekend) but could use sheep! 

Re your calf:  I admit i wondered if I had a stress fracture because it didn't feel like anything I'd had before.  But wherever it was rest sorted me out.  Maybe you just need to do the same - 6 weeks or so off and get out on the bike.

I'm now running painfree and have done short runs every day this week, with a variety of paces, and did 6 miles last night as my longest run.  Going to the physio again today when I'm going to talk more about the insoles. I really don't think I need them. Also going to ask why I didn't have a sore back before I saw him and now it aches all the time. 

• Not been able to post recently as it's been manic at work capped by a charity ball do in Claridge's until late last night. Managed to get a few short, sharp sessions (6 x 500m type stuff) in along with some cross training (rowing machine) in the gym near work.

Rest today in order to a. recover from last night and b. gear myself up for a 10K race tomorrow morning. Should be nice and flat and hope to get close to 40, but not expecting to go below unless somehting remarkable happens.

Delighted to see Minni back up and running again.

All the best to Blisters - I still haven't plucked up enough courage to take triathlon training seriously.

Good to see that Gul hasn't got into the habit of having a lie in - 15 slow miles before posting before 7am!!

Bike It - hope things sort themselves out. I like the car speed session idea.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice parkrun here. 18:34, my quickest for a while.

Great early miles Gul, and so glad you are back Minni.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Good luck all racers tomorrowimage

• Really pleased to hear you're sorted, Minni.

Excellent parkrunning from OO and Gul, well - 15 miles done and posting at 6:54? Chapeau. Btw, Gul - I am also reading Marcel Pagnol, "Le Chateau de Ma Mère", in an attempt to do a bit of French polishing (missus) before I go to Provence in August. I did French at Uni, but that was 20 years ago and siunce then I have barely uttered a word of the thing...

Very limited by time this morning so went out and did 4 miles incl. 3 @ 6:45mm pace, just for a laugh. Foot watch: a bit sore to begin with then relatively pain-free for the rest and has felt better all day. the test will be tomorrow's 8-9-miler early doors. It seems to feel better the faster I run. 

Good luck tomorrow Lorenzo and anyone else racing.