Sub 3h15

Comments

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Well done on the parkrun OO

Good luck to those racing / half ironmaning tomorrow.

Still recovering from flu/chest/ear problems, but back to some easy running. Tomorrow I will skirt through Windsor on a long run and may treat myself to a break to watch some of the triathlon. 6.00am for the first swim wave - rather them than me

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Nice park run OO - Hope the foots ok Ant.

Grizzly day with a 10k at ellesmere port in a 37.03 which isnt what I was hoping for. Will post a report later after Ive done the lawns and gone out for dinner.

• Congrats OO - sounds as though it went well. Which parkrun was that?

Don't be too disappointed Mennania - does "grizzly" refer to the conditions or something else. Was it a pleasantly scenic run through the petro-chemical plants?

Bushy Park 10K for me this morning - 2 laps of a pretty flat course, almost perfect weather conditions apart from the odd blustery section, but I've been struggling for speed in training so wasn't expecting to get close to my PB of 39.55 which was done a couple of years ago on the back of some good evening track sessions.

In a nutshell, I got to the halfway point in 19:50 but didn't quite have enough in the tank to push on in the last couple of K and finished in 40:15 which is still my second best 10K run. Enough for 20th place overall and 2nd V45.

Not too bad and with a concerted effort over the next few weeks, I'm hoping to dip back under 40 mins on the same course at the end of July.

• Cotswold 113 half ironman

Swim (boring) almost plumb last out of the lake. I could count how many were behind me. On my fingers.
    T1- or was it tea break? Probably the slowest with a full compliment of limbs.
    Bike. Melted the tarmac, or so it felt. Passed hundreds and got passed by just 1.
    T2- more reasonable.
    Run- 13.1 miles. I had a really tight back at the start, so stopped and stretched. It eased after that and I had a bouncy run for 10k. Unfortunately it was a 20k. As the miles ticked by they got harder. The planned speeding up never happened untill the spectator funnel. Time 1:48:14, and just for the run was 211/630. Actually I'm quite pleased with the run time (no watch) as I knew I was bombing badly at the end.

• Well done Mennania and Lorenzo on your 10k efforts - yuo should both be pleased with a good morning's work - try doing that in training and you'd see how fast you were going.

Hats off to Blisters, that is a brilliant achievement.

I did 8 and-a-bit miles this morning and everything flet good apart from this b***er of a right foot of mine which ached all the way. I think I'll take a week off and do a bit of bike (spinning), swimming and core work instead.

I don't think it's plantar fasciitis, surely it would hurt mre if it wasa stress fracture, there's no swelling or bruising, so I don't think it's periostitis. I'm hoping it's just needing some time to rest and recover.

This is all very irritating as this is precisely the time of of year when I want to be kicking on and and doing some long holiday-type running mixed up with some faster stuff, in preparation for a couple of decent autumn races, which in turn would set me up for a respectable spring marathon campaign.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Nice racing Menna (I'd take that time), Lorenzo (nice to get 2nd best pb time - form is returning) and Blisters (need to work on those brics!).

Like you Ant I have foot issues. I was going to post a pic but a) even at its worst it has nothing on Poachers pes (I googled that). and b) my wife's shake of head when she saw me take the picture of it tells me that she might divorce me if she found I'd posted it on the internet.image

Basically its an atheletes foot cut which has turned into a deep cut right across the toe. I took Fri eve and Sat off - running was ok this morning, but the 4m family walk with my daughter on my back was too much for it and its really throbbing and painful now. Seems like the 1st few days of my marathon campaign will be rest days. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Menna, sounds like a great time to me! What time did you hope for? Was the course / conditions conducive to a super quick time?

Ant, rest it. Pushing on because you want to can put you out for a LOOONNNGG time! 

Well done Blisters and entertaining report. Good work fella!

*****TMI ALERT*****

Tested the final piece in my ironman preparation jigsaw today.  Peeing on the bike!

Great fun and I highly recommend it. Would have been better if I hadn't been quite so desperate to go though. Peed like a horse - don't think anyone was looking....

Wonder if I can pee whilst still running... Hmmmmm image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Think I need to re-oil my chain...

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Well done Lorenzo. Do you have the next race planned?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Well done on practising 'Number 1s' SJ. The hardest bit of that it negotiating the tight lycra of the tri suit. In race conditions also remember timing of the process (when someone is being a particularly annoying drafter!)

Of course the next stage to practice is 'Number 2s'. More difficult to sort with the tri suit and also more dangerous (drop onto the back wheel and the shit hits the fan!). image

• Slokey
    It's not a trick that I've tried. I stopped at an appropriate field entrance to "fix a leak". Maybe dismounting would have been better, as directional control was imperfect. I've now washed the elbow pads. Today there were so many there that I was lucky to find a point with no Marshals. (Urinating results in DQ apparently).

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

oh... I wondered how you get the old john Thomas out of the bib shorts for a quick waz, looks like you don't have to bother. My wife does moan about the stink of my running kit, I think the stench of urine might just send her running. Thanks for the info Slokey.

Just shows how well you are running at the moment Mennania to be disappointed with that time, I couldn't get anywhere near that, so well done.

Great effort from you too Lorenzo. Are you still doing the Newbury sportive?

Well done Blisters, is the swim your weakest link?

Nice Parkrun OO.

That's a shame Keir, I was looking forward to seeing a pic of your manky foot.

Ant, rest that foot!!

I was going for a long run this eveing but my son bought me a selection of fine ales for fathers day (they'll serve anyone around here, even a 7 year old!) and it would have been rude not to drink them. I'll do it tomorrow, although I did ride 89 miles on the bike yesterday so that must count as a bit of exercise.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Keir, no suit adjustment required - just lift off the saddle at about 18mph and let goimage 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Keir, surely the wheel / fan direction on the top of the wheel is not particularly favourable! 

Moof, I made a point of putting my kit straight in the washing machine (and didn't tell the wife about the experiment). Not sure what I'm going to do with my cycle shoe though.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

So a chap goes abroad for a bit and comes back to find you lot talking about bodily functions on a bike. Plus ca change....image

Had a good read back, well done all, Bike It your thoughts about how not to die on one's ar&e towards the end of an ultra are interesting. Having done a few I'd say it's either (a) remember everyone else feels like death too, just picking off even one rival will feel like a triumph, or (b) in shorter easier ultras you just hang on in till there's 10m to go, then get the racing hat on and try to be ruthless. 

Having said that, finishing Comrades in that heat is awesome, respect to all who got round.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Blisters - good effort, from non simmer to lake swimmer pretty quickly. 211th best run, really ? I guess you need to work on building soem leg strength then. I seem to run ok off the bike, but I have a big pair of legs.

SJ - I save it for tri shorts in races only (dont fancy peeing in cycle shorts in training) but can pee on the bike ok, just need to stop pedalling for a few seconds - downhills are a good time. Cant do it running yet, shame as it would come in handy for VLM day too. Just give your shoes a bit of a hosing (from the tap this time).

• Moof - yes, still on for the Newbury sportive. Local 10K on 7 July and a couple of park runs between now and then, but hoping to get some miles in on the bike on the next few Sundays and also cycling in to work.

Blisters - great stuff. Sounds as though you might actually have enjoyed it.

SJ - far too much detail!!!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

image Triathlon talk has put me well and truely off

Menna, what a fantastic time. I would love to get something starting with 37.xx. That is a great effort - give yourself a pat on the back.

Good effort Blisters. I was watching the Windsor Tri swim along the Thames on this morninsg run, then went past T1 and was really surprised how casual and chatty some of the competitors were. Ran back along the bike route, oblivious to the fact that hundreds of cyclists were pissing themselves. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Menn, that seems like a great time to me. Look forward to the report.

Lorenzo- congrats on the 10k comeback, not far off your best. My parkrun was Whitley Bay (not the quickest)

Blisters, you really are half iron man. Really impressed you can do that. 

Nice 12 miler around Derwentwater for me, followed by 10 on a shorter route round, walking with Mrs OO.

I'll keep out of the great pee debate image

• Good to see that Minni has got her legs back! 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Good spot Lorenzo, I think Minni has given them a bit of a shave.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Eh... Nice moof Minni.image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Ant - Weird coincidence - I'm reading Le Temps Des Secrets - the next of his auto-biographical books. Hope the foot continues to improve. Ah, sorry to hear it isn't. I can feel your frustration.
    Mennania - sorry you didn't get the result you were looking for - was it a hot day?
    Lorenzo - well done on the 10k time and 2nd in age category.
    Blisters - congrats on the half IM. Very impressive overtaking on the bike and run stages.
    Keir - sorry to hear about the cut on your toe.
    SJ / Keir image
    Moof - good ale drinking.
    Usual Monday session for me. 6 miles plus "hill" sprints.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ant - I'm sure I've asked this before but do you give it a stretch before you get our of bed?   I found this really helped when I had PF - I think a classic sign of PF is that it really hurts when you first step out of bed. 

Great racing over the weekend folks. image

• Minni wrote (see)

Ant - I'm sure I've asked this before but do you give it a stretch before you get out of bed?  

Of course, because at that time of the day it's very - oh, you mean my foot? Well, I was doing all the classic stretches for PF but the thing persisted so I began to wonder if it really was PF and that maybe I was doing it more harm than good by stretching it so i stopped. Maybe I'll start up again this week.

Keir - that sounds, well...minging. Look after it! 

Moof - Now that is the most convincing arguments in favour of parenthood I've ever heard!

Right, time to get on the (indoor, static, spinning-type) bike. Any ideas for some good sessions, please?

• Gul - The 1990 film version of Le Château de Ma Mère was not all that faithful to the book, and in fact included bits from the book you're reading. Worth watching, IIRC.

• Bike IT – I do a similar thing with cars sometimes, doing fartlek with them as the point in the distance when I’ll slow down, I’m never sure what to do when they drive off before I get there- am left wondering whether I ought to chase them in order to do the session properly.

Nice Early miles Gul, getting in some good consistent volume

Minni – glad you’re back running painfree

Good parkrunning OO

Menna that’s a great time, shows how well you’re going to be disappointed with it

Good racing Lorenzo, 39.xx seems well in your sights

Nice Triathloning Blisters, one day I’d like to look at doing a triathlon (though the talk of piss wheels is a bit offputting! Or motivation to get to the front I guess) Might have to find one where I'm aloud to do the swim with arm bands though

Ant I hope your foot heals quickly

Hope your foot fixes quicly too Kier

SJ good luck on the tri

Moof – 89 miles is a great ride

AR – glad your back running, has the lurgy cleared up now?

Still Ok here, got in my 4th 20miler of the campaign yesterday. Bit worried I’m going to overcook the campaign and peak in August- will have to see how things go.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Stick with it JD3- always better to be ahead of plan than behind.

Yes Ant, those morning stretches are s important image