Sub 3h15

Comments

• Ant - speedy 600s.
    Minni - hope you enjoyed the 400m reps.
    PMJ - good set of 600m reps.
    Bike It - sorry to hear about the periostitis and the work situation. Sorry if I'm stressing you out! I've really enjoyed myself these last 6 months - a lot of positives can come out of these things.
    Mennania - sounds like a good plan - hope things come together.
    Leslie - excellent tempo run.
    OO - take care of that calf.
    Abbers - good slow miles.
    Birch - nicely ticking over.
    Poacher - it'll come.
    BOTF - sorry to hear you're still struggling - try not to put yourself under too much pressure to perform at Reading.
    Blisters - nice numbers = nice run.
    Speedy - your cat's health issues put all ours into perspective! Take care of the foot.
    9M d&d inc. 7M @ 6:56 m/m. Another session that was scheduled as MP that went haywire with pacing issues.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

calf is less hurty too after a good a heavy session on the foam roller. A days rest I think...Also volunteered at the parkrun this week to stop me racing image

• Good midweek reps from a number of folks.

Fingers crossed for OO-51. Sounds like a sensible precaution on Saturday.

Speedy - hope your foot recovers quickly.

My big toe is still not 100% but it doesn't seem to hurt while running, so I'm taking that as a good sign. Rest day yesterday but managed 8.7 miles at 7mm average along the country lanes near Worcester this morning. 

• At this rate we could build up a virtual Thread Frankenstein's Monster - with Lorenzo's toes, Speedy's foot, OO's calf, my knee, Slokey's hips...but where would the head come from?

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

9M d&d inc. 7M @ 6:56 m/m. Another session that was scheduled as MP that went haywire with pacing issues.

Gul, what is MP? I just looked at the Kent Road Runner marathon and see you can reserve your number (that is your target marathon isn't it, there was some indecision) but 42 has gone to someone without your initials but there are 3 numbers that match your initials: any you and if so what significance?

I see someone has 262 (26.2, like it), maybe a good one is 315 (3:15). 666 has gone to M.C. but I know Tony Barlow (my barber) who runs a lot of marathons as 666 as a guide runner for a blind lady.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Gul - maybe 6:56 m/m is mara pace? Just a thought image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Generally, what Gul said.

More specifically, Speedy, hope your hurty foot continues to improve, but sorry to hear about the collection of woes displayed by your cat! How old is it?

BotF - if you've paid to enter, why not run? Doesn't have to be a flat out effort; use it as a mara pace training run? But mostly, just enjoy it image

Blisters - wow, that's a literally life changing effort from your colleague. Very impressive.

• BOTF - surely just being able to say you ran in the same race as the great Samir is enough.

HELP! I have no 'time trial' type training or races for Jantastic in March. I do have a "Hanson Marathon Simulator" which is a 26.2K effort to be run at MP. Is this sort of thing accepted for Jantastic. The thought of having to toddle off to a parkrun and put myself through pain doesn't appeal

• AR - last year I ran a 5mile LT session as my 'time trial'.  I turned up the wick a little bit so it was a few seconds per mile faster than usual.  I would say a kilothon is acceptable and we do expect you to nail it to within a few seconds.

• AR - it can be any run you want it to be, but it's supposed to be a max effort run rather than a paced run because it's about predicting what you're capable of.

I may have found why my run last night was so bad - I'm feeling slightly lurgied today, a little bit shivery and thick-headed, so maybe I'm actually fighting something. Doesn't look good for Reading, but maybe last night wasn't the end of the world. I think I'm turning into a running drama queen!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    AR you'd better run it by Ant first.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

AR - I'm having the same dilemma. I have a HM and 5m pencilled in but not entered them as yet as I need to keep on top of this hip.  If it starts playing up again I won't do them so the only definite race in the 20 mile next weekend.  I won't run it as a flat out race but will be progressing to MP for the last X miles, or maybe faster, so I reckon that it will be ok.  Do the team agree?

Nice run Gul.

BOTF - maybe miss Reading but you MUST make it to London!

I hope that:

Speedy's foot
    Lorenzo's toe
    OO's calf
    Ant's knee
    Slokey's hip
    BOTF's manflu

all make a speedy recovery!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BotF - sounds like you have your answer. Racing Reading sounds like it would be a struggle now, but running it might still be OK?

I echo Minni's list of good wishes, and will add her hip to the list!

1 w/u, 4 @ 7m/m, 1 c/d in the bag. 4 mile tempo section came out almost right on pace at 28:04. A bit of an odd one though, sitting between mara and HM paces. Not entirely sure I can see the benefit of that, but as I've learned, don't question the programme!

• Good to hear you are back to regular running and making progress Birch.

I saw Sir John Madjeski out training for the Reading HM marathon (he owns AutoTrader media and Reading FC) in his Reading Tracksuit.  I think he'll be struggling to break 4 hours from what I saw.  

10.5 miles with 6 at LT which came out at 6:52 today.  Not as fast as I wanted but good enough.

A hand-grenade in the room sounds like a good thing

• Abbers, I think any pace is good and like to spread them round, and something that is a but slower than MP is a good pace to train at and one that is missed out a lot: some faster than MP , some at MP, a whole load a lot slower than MP. A few a little bit slower than MP do some good.

14.2 at lunchtime so 259.98 for the month so far, maybe 10.2 tomorrowimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

BI My friend AA from the sub 3:30 thread has trained him a few times but don't think she is this time.  I'll have to ask.

PMJ - I'm finding that I am feeling very comfortable running at my current marathon pb pace + 10-20s.  Previously I've not done much at this pace but this time around I'm running my 'easy' runs more of feel and this is what they are regularly coming out at.  I'd like to think this is a good sign for the marathon but we'll wait and see.

• OO - better news on the calf.
    Lorenzo - nice run along the country lanes.
    PMJ - Good question re MP. I am planning a solo 10k time trial for Marchvellous, so will use that plus a long run with MP effort to try and set a race pace. At the moment, I am angling at 7:15. Miscalculated this morning's pace - it was 7M @ 6:51 m/m. Re Roadrunner - all the good numbers had gone - I am number 6. Just a nice low one.
    AR - solo time-trials are fine.
    Abbers - nice run.
    Bike It - good LT session.

• Minni did you say you are marshalling on the coast on Saturday? when and where? If nearby I might jog on over (got to dog foundations for greenhpuse first though)
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Poacher - yes I did say that but now it's a no. I didn't realised it clashed with the NEHL XC at Alnwick Castle so I'm heading there. You could run over? I'm in the process of changing to Alnwick Harriers as my first claim club so thought I'd better support them!
  • What time is the xc
  • Poacher wrote (see)
    got to dog foundations for greenhpuse first though

????

• "Got to dig foundations for greenhouse first though" Phil ( I think) 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    My race is 13:10 with all the junior races first and the men after. It's a great setting. Will you be finished, erm, dogging by then...?
  • Yes, dig. DIG. Lucky I don't write for a living. Err, hang on...
  • *Snigger*

I ran on the treadmill tonight. Foot feels strange but not painful. 

Abbers, my cat is not an It. She is a beautiful, fluffy, grey tabby and she's approximately 18 years old. I've had her for 11 years.

What's with the club change Minni? You copying me?image

• Sir Laughalot!

Anyway, a nice hamster wheel run of the usual 6.6 miles. 7:29m/m pace. Grey miles are good miles at this end of the game.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Gosh she is an old lady, Speedy.

The club change is quite straight forward really. I have been running second claim for them for a year now but entering more and more races with them because my club doesn't attend many - we're more of a trail/fell club. I travel on their buses to a lot of races and they really subsidise the cost, and it's nice to be with others at races. So I was getting a lot for my tenner a year and felt it was the right thing to do. I'll stay of at my original club as second claim and run the fell races for them.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Funny old 10 miler tonight. Mixed bag of paces. 72 minutes, so averaged 7.14 and threw in a 6.58 at the end for a showbiz finish.
    I always appear to run slower in the dark for some reason? I seem to remember reading something that said night time running was always slower, so I won't panic about lacking real pace just yet.

SB

• Speedy - 18 years old - that's some going for a cat. Pleased to hear the foot is improving.
    Blisters - how many revolutions do you have to do for 6.6 miles?
    SB - maybe we run faster in daylight because we are more likely to be watched.
    3 slow miles in the dark.
    Feb stats:
    237 miles over 25 runs in 32:52:32 (avg. pace 8:19 m/m), inc. 1x20M, 2 x 19M and 3 x 14M. Didn't tack on an extra 7 miles to match Januaryimage

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Minni - sounding positive for a fine result if you're comfortable at current PB pace + 10-20secs.

Speedy - well that told me! I hope she sees and improvement soon. That's a pretty decent age for a moggy.

Blisters - solid stuff there. Are you VLMing?

SB - sounds like a decent enough run - what was your planned pace? Daytime running is faster as you can see where you're going properly, and not worry about disappearing down a massive storm-induced pothole, or running headlong into a static, stupid pony. At least, that's my take on it!

Gul - Excellent Feb stats. Need to decide if I'm going to take today as a rest day and do 5 easy tomorrow, or swap them round to do my 5 tonight, which will put me over 200 for the month for the first time. Doesn't matter in training terms, just depends how obsessive I'm being! image