Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Fair enough re the 10k vs half. Nice reps today, they're quick. I put two elastoplasts on both last VLM and it didn't help. As I sat down to lunch afterwards in the Savoy (it wasn't that good) I looked down at my shirt and thought you messy so & so thinking I had spilled wine all over my shirt but no it was blood.

Lunch run to test the foot today and happy to report it felt fine. Legs felt cr*p though and took me a good 3k to get going even at a slow pace. Very warm out there today almost felt like summer. Another test again tomorrow and will decide then whether I am doing this 10k on Sunday. Sorry all to keep harping on about it!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Glad the foot feels better, GM.

I've been paced by friends once or twice (and have been a pacer once), but that's rather different to following an official pacer.  Whenever I've seen pace groups it looks like it must be hard to run because of the crowding, so I don't think I'd like that.  But unless you've got your own private pacer available I don't think that advice is very useful.  Sorry!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark-The new half is the Strabane half on 11th may , how I race it would depend how training has went plus how the 10 miler at the end of the month goes first.Its 3 weeks from the walled city half so just at the start of taper time too that's why Im tempted.

Pacers - the 1:30 pacer at omagh last took of at 6:30 pace which is 85 minute pace , a lot of his followers were struggling and some complaining a bit when they could catch a breathe  image

In my mara last year it took me about 8 miles to catch the 3:30 pacer who eventually came in a 3:37 so its all a bit hit or miss really.

• Ok, so my image of the pacer being a Jessica Ennis look alike and it being only me running with her while she gives me pro running tips and motivation while we casually chat and cross the finish line hardly out of breath and 5 mins ahead of schedule are probably a little bit out then?

Thanks for sharing the experiences though. Starting to sound a bit less predictable/easier/reliable than I originally thought.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    As Joolka says...

Ran with a pacing group once (Chicago), absolutely hopeless, too many people and too much stress trying to stay together, left them behind after a couple of miles and ran faster, stress-free as a result.

As for HM before a mara, maybe at start of mara career going flat out in HM would be a bit risky. With plenty under the belt, cane it and leave a couple of weeks to recover. A fast HM is a vg indicator of MP on the day
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Share the views on pacers. I've followed them unintended for parts of a race but they are typically fast guys running below their normal pace and often inconsistent. Try running 50 metres behind for more comfort and easy access at the drinks stations.

5 miler for me today- first run this week. Felt good and managed 7:45 average without breaking a sweat.

Targets are easy for me. 3:05 for Paris- a course PB. Then sub 3:15 in VLM.  

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

SJ - Truly epic stuff - I bet you are still glowing now.

GM - glad the foots better - I am number 990 - still not feeling it though but have just started carb loading. Have ditched the adidas boost shoes and going back to either the Pegasus 29s or the ds trainers for the run.

OO-51 Whats your number and are you in the Red start? It would be nice to put a face to a name on race day if possible.

Without the pacer I wouldn't have got under 3.00 last year - of that there is no doubt, I ran slightly advanced of the pack for the first 13-15 miles and by the time they got upto me there was about 20-25 runners and I stood off them for 20-30 metres to avoid the gaggle. at the end there was only 2 or 3 of us left. I can vouch for the inconsistency, ours would massively make up pace at the end of the mile but when I got to understand what he was doing I used him as a marker rather than a pacer.

Another crap feeling run for me of 7 with 2 at MP, am taking the positive that I would rather be having a crap time now than on Sunday.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Menn I'm 3056 red, how about your good self. I'm planning to meet up with the Paris marathon thread folks for the meal on Saturday and beers after if you fancy... 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

990 in Preferential, so we should be around the same area at the start- I am trying to make the weekend as less about running for the missus as I can, so Sat we are booked in elsewhere, but corcorans may be on for an hour or two to say hello post race. Is there tracking for this race?

• I've never used an official pacer and I have to admit I'm concerned that the sub-3 pace group might actually be in my way somewhat at London!

You would not believe the mental session my coach set me tonight. I was still querying it with him when I was sat in my car about to start it. 2 x 2 miles at 5k (yes 5k) pace, off 90 seconds. Seriously. On my own as well. I didn't manage it. I got 6.09 and 6.12 pace, which is more like 10k race pace than 5k. And there was me thinking it would be something like 3 x 1 mile @ 10k pace. Ha. 

• 4 x 6mins off 2 mins for me, and it finally felt like I was getting somewhere tonight. Reps came out at 6:12, 6:10, 6:10 & 6:11 pace, so 10/10 for consistent pacing, and they're only a few seconds off what I was doing when I was at my fittest 2 years ago. The first couple were reasonably comfortable, the 4th wasn't, but I kept it going which I'm pleased about. I'm running my parkrun this week for the first time in 2 years, so maybe sub 20 isn't an unreasonable target.

• Speedy and BOTF good reps guys!

10x200's for me coming out in the 37-41's with 30s jog. what an easy session that felt! 4 miles totalish??

5 days till race!

• I did tag the sub 3 group a couple or 3 years ago. It did help me to hit target. Sometimes you could detect that you must be in the trailing gaggle, because the street just got crowded. However, being 20 -50m ahead of them was like having a solo outing. Obviously, from about 18 miles the group had thinned down considerably, and there were just those who were truly fit and ready for it (and me). A pacer shouldn't surge to hit mile markers. They ought to know better. Mind you, I recall one year when they had two 3:15 pacers, one of them totally blew up and sat down at mile 20. I never caught the other guy.

The pacer is truly worth their (lack of) weight when the going gets tough. That last 6 miles, especially the last 3. Remember that you actually have to beat the pacer, not just keep them in sight on The Mall. My sub 3 man took me there with about 40 seconds to spare. James Cracknell beat me by 2 seconds. He looked empty at the end.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Which race Rich 26?

Blisters you are talking about VLM 2 years ago right? I was in front of the 3 hour pacer in the last mile (with James Cracknell in the pack) when I got cramp and had to slow down. I must have been 30 secs behind you with 2:59:48 at the finish.

Menn they do have tagging I believe- but I'm low tech image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OO - if you're going for sub 3:15 in London maybe you could pace me?? If you you remove your vest and run about 20m ahead that should do the trick...... image
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - nice miles for March.
    PMJ - Looking at that photo, I can feel the pain!
    BACG, SB & 6JT - good luck in Brighton.
    And all the best to Mennania and OO in Paris.
    And to Rich - sorry, forgot where your race is!
    Starting to get exciting now!
    Abbers - good mileage. Always nice to set some new records. Nice intervals too.
    Speedy - tough one - not surprised you didn't hit that pace. Good effort though.
    BOTF - good consistent reps.
    4 recovery miles d&d.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - good news on your foot. At least in here when you're agonising, people understand and have some empathy/sympathy! Not many others would understand image

SJT - I like the sound of your vision of pacer! Not sure it meets with reality though... If you get a good pacer, it could make all the difference.

OO-51 - sounds like you're raring to go in Paris. Weather favourable?

Menn - aren't runs where you feel rubbish typical of taper though? It's just the madness!

CC2 - that's a hard session! Quick reps though. Feeling positive for your sub-3 assault?

BotF - another with nice quick reps. Would have thought your parkrun will be significantly under 20 mins with that kind of speed?

Rich - god lad. Rest up now! I'm watching closely, as you know! image Lochaber isn't it?

Gul - Mr consistently consistent.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Think this is the latest list...

Apr 6 - Lochaber Mara - Rich26 - Sub 3:15

Apr 6 - Brighton Mara
    FINgers - TBC
    Sporty Badger - A. 3:15  B. 3.20  C. Sub-3:23 (PB)
    6JT - 
    BACG -

Apr 6 - Paris mara
    Mennania - Sub 3
    OO-51 - 3:05

Apr 6 - Manchester mara - knight rider - Sub 3
    Apr 6 - Jersey Spring 10k - GM sub 40.
    Apr 13 - VLM
    PMJ - 2.4x
    CC2 - 2.59.59
    Literatin - sub 3:05
    Lorenzo, Ant - sub 3:10
    Minni - 3:12
    Marrows - 3:14:59
    OO-51 - 3:15
    Abbers - A. 3:15  B. 3.20  C. Finish and enjoy the day
    Poacher - TBA
    AR - get past 16 miles

May 10 - Marlborough Downs Challenge 20 miler - MsE
    May 11 - Fred Whitton Challenge - SJ - no crashes
    May 18 - Richmond Park marathon - Marrows no target
    May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr sub 3:15
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher - Bike It sub 8:20
    Jun 1 - Walled city marathon - Leslie H
    Jun ? - Swim length of Ullswater - SJ - no drowning
    June 8 - RunJersey half marathon - GM sub 1:28
    July - Thunder Run - Minni, MsE
    July 27 - Outlaw - SJ - 10:xx
    October - Yorkshire marathon - Minni TBC
    October 5 - Jersey marathon - GM sub 3:10.
    October 19 - Abingdon Marathon - MsE - to get to the start line injury-free

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Speedy- coach knows best , well we hope so image

BOTF-perfect pacing

Rich-good pace .

SJT-liking your dream pacer image

Gul-nice easy , early 4 , I did 5 at 9m/miles myself.

Abbers-wouldnt want to be in your shoes now when forum police land image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Leslie - I know, but having a string of targets without line breaks under a busy race made it very hard to follow IMHO. Also made allowing for entry of A, B & C targets difficult. Those are my excuses, and I'm sticking to 'em! image 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Living dangerously there Abbers!

• Abbers - In your position I would consider a change of identity under the List-Format-Changers Protection Scheme.

A couple of years ago and not totally fit I went round a small HM (400 finishers) with the sub 1:25 pacer and he was excellent - I don't think I could have done 1:24:xx on the day without him. On the other hand getting sucked into the group following the sub-3 pacer at VLM a couple of years ago was a nightmare and I actually had to stop on a couple of tight bends, such was the congestion. I blame having to pull up with cramp in both calves on this, in fact. But then again I would, wouldn't I?

Great reps from Speedy, BOTF and Rich.

• I notice that Danny Norman in the latest parkrun Show had a bit of a rant about the Conkers parkrun team and their predicted and actual times.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Life on the edge, that's the way...

Apr 6 - Lochaber Mara
    Rich26 - Sub 3:15

Apr 6 - Brighton Mara
    FINgers - TBC
    Sporty Badger - A. 3:15  B. 3.20  C. Sub-3:23 (PB)
    6JT -
    BACG -

Apr 6 - Paris mara
    Mennania - Sub 3

Apr 6 - Manchester mara 
    knight rider - Sub 3

Apr 6 - Jersey Spring 10k
    GM sub 40.

Apr 13 - VLM
    PMJ - 2.4x
    CC2 - 2.59.59
    Abbers - A. 3:15  B. 3.20  C. Finish and enjoy the day
    Poacher - TBA
    AR - get past 16 miles

May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr sub 3:15

6 easy for me today.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

That's nothing, Abbers.  On Monday I went ahead with my recovery run despite the fact I had brought 2 right socks with me instead of 1 right sock and 1 left sock.  Oh yes.  Fearless, that's me.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Jools - you daredevil, you! Caution well and truly thrown to the wind.

• No way jools, I would have just left it! 

It's lochaber marathon rightly Abbers. Only 2 more runs then go go go. 

4 easy tonight for me. 

No pacing group in that race just Mr. Garmin. Bestest bud. Ha ha  

• Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)

I notice that Danny Norman in the latest parkrun Show had a bit of a rant about the Conkers parkrun team and their predicted and actual times.

Yep, good mass berating going on there.

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    Good to see the banter levels nice and high during taper time. Not long now for quite a few. Fingers crossed for you all.

Slokey - excellent race report. Almost makes me want to run an ultra (almost).

254 miles in March and just over 700 for the year so far. By far the most miles I've ran in marathon training. Hoping there may be a 2.45 pacer to latch onto.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Nice mileage Martin.
    Unlikely to have time to post in the morning. Seeing the list made me think it was time to have a stab at setting a firmer target. Will probably revise it nearer the time.

Apr 6 - Lochaber Mara
    Rich26 - Sub 3:15

Apr 6 - Brighton Mara
    FINgers - TBC
    Sporty Badger - A. 3:15  B. 3.20  C. Sub-3:23 (PB)
    6JT -
    BACG -

Apr 6 - Paris mara
    Mennania - Sub 3

Apr 6 - Manchester mara 
    knight rider - Sub 3

Apr 6 - Jersey Spring 10k
    GM sub 40.

Apr 13 - VLM
    PMJ - 2.4x
    CC2 - 2.59.59
    Abbers - A. 3:15  B. 3.20  C. Finish and enjoy the day
    Poacher - TBA
    AR - get past 16 miles

May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr 3:08