Sub 3h15

Comments

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Number 4 strikes again

TR - that's what I'm doing for Wasdale X in June (Outlaw is on hold 'til next year). Works out fairly manageable for me. As for running this week, yes it is a stupid arbitrary target to run every day but most, if not all of my targets, are stupid and arbitrary. It is all very slow and is making everything feel better surprisingly but I know you are taking absolute sense.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Badbark - 31408
    Birch - 27992
    Jools - 225
    Lit - 199
    Lorenzo- 26861
    MsE - 232
    OO52- 31214
    RFJ - 27008 (Green)

RR10 Race 1 done and dusted..... summer XC (4.37m) seeing as I have moved my target back for Sunday, I thought why not as feeling good.... beat all my positions of last year and that of some of the previous year too to finish in 59th in 29:03 (6:39 pace) felt great.

Massage tomorrow night along with Expo in the afternoon

Take care

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Does this look about right? Seems like a shorter list than in recent years. Feel free to cut/paste in oder to amend or add names.

-----------------------------------

Champs Start
    MsE - 232, (garish) green Guildford & Godalming vest
    Jools - 225
    Literatin - 199

Red GFA Start
    OO52 - 31214 
    Badbark - 31408 - Norn Iron vest?
    Poacher - 30952

Green Start
    Golden Eagle
    Lorenzo - 26861, magenta Dorking and Mole Valley vest
    RFJ - 27008 White Charity Vest (also with name on - MATT) and usual bandana
    Birch - 27992

Blue Start

Red Start

Pub Start
    Minni image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

It's not in alphabetical order.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Can I ask a stupid question?  I am such a Luddite.  

OK, if I use auto lap on my Garmin but this stops working, e.g. in the Isle of Dogs where satellite reception is poor, I assume:

(a) it will no longer clock distance nor beep,

(b) the timer will continue to tick over, and

(c) I can press manual lap when I see a mile marker to try and keep the:

• (i) Average Pace going (in the first instance, when I see it has stopped working) and
    • (ii) Lap Pace going (when I have clicked on Manual Lap for the first time and thereafter, until Auto Lap starts working again).  

Is this right?  It is just I have seen talk of people switching off Auto Lap and only using Manual Lap but I must confess I have managed to miss those great big mile markers at London before and would prefer not to rely on me pressing Manual Lap 26 times....

I know this is taper madness addling my brain.  But still... 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OO - hope you get sorted??

MsE - yes do manual lap. If you miss a mile market just press it as soon as you realise. I've often ended up with a couple of blocks of 2 miles. You can keep an eye on the time to check your pacing.

SJ - lol re Paula!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

This is all getting very exciting now, but I'm still trying to figure out the significance of number 4!
    All seems well here after 3 easy miles this morning image  Thought about doing 4, but decided againstimage

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    In Chinese superstition, the number 4 is incredibly unlucky as it sounds like the word for "death".

Thanks, Minni image
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

MsE - yes, that's what I do too as I can't be arsed with manual lap every mile but don't mind pressing it occasionally to adjust.

• Hello luddites.
    I changed the screen on my Garmin so I only had elapsed time, heart rate, and instantaneous pace.
    I used the sodding great mile markers, and a strip of cloth with my ETA for each mile pre-calculated. I always struggled to read those tiddly wrist strips. Even worse when running.

Meanwhile. I've done a bit, but can't remember what 6:35 pace even feels like Jools. I shall observe the antics from afar. With pangs of envy.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I fly over to London tomorrow and might not get another chance to post again so just wanted to wish everyone the very best for Sunday. Run your own race, work hard when you have to and never, ever give up.

After fat loading since Saturday I'm now carbo loading following a 4.5 mile 1 pm run, including 3 mins @ 5k pace and a 30 secs up hill sprint to finish. I've already ate half a fruit loaf, a pear, a handful of dates, 2 ginger nuts and drank 1 litre of energy drink. Sugar rush!image

I weighed in at a 30 year low of 142 lbs this morning. I'm a 6 foot racing snake!image

I'm feeling confident of a good performance due to recent shorter distance PB's with only a slight doubt about my stamina. Getting Chicken Pox during my peak week wasn't ideal and resulted in my planned 22 with 10 MP being changed to 23 with 1 MP. However, I've followed a 12 week P&D plan up to 95 miles without missing any key runs and have faith in their schedule.

The schedule only had 4 runs of 20+ miles and 5 interval sessions which is a lot less than I would normally do. Although the back to back hard sessions and MLR's were tough so I imagine really beneficial. I was forced into a 12 week plan due to missing almost 3 weeks of any proper training in January due to an operation. It's been great though as everything has been very focused and I think I've peaked at the perfect time.

I'm staying just beside the Excel on Friday night which is close to Beckton Parkrun so I might have a wee jog around it on Saturday.

Good luck everyone and I hope a meet a few of you on Sunday. image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Best of luck BB. Smash it!
  • Ah, pub start, I'm on that one too image Well technically I'm on the 'side of the road' start. Mile 13/22 at Fetchpoint. Look out for masses of red and yellow balloons. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SJ - is that Wasdale a full IM distance then ?

MsE - theres a massive clock every mile marker, you dodnt need the gadget.

• Champs Start

MsE - 232, (garish) green Guildford & Godalming vest

Jools - 225

Literatin - 199

Red GFA Start

OO52 - 31214

Badbark - 31408 - Norn Iron vest?

Poacher - 30952

Green Start

Golden Eagle

Lorenzo - 26861, magenta Dorking and Mole Valley vest

RFJ - 27008 White Charity Vest (also with name on - MATT) and usual bandana

Birch - 27992

Sandy Balls - 26869, black and gold Winchester and District AC vest

Blue Start

Red Start

Pub Start

Minni
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Yes TR, but with an usually hilly bike and ditto for an off road run. Have a look....:

http://www.wasdalex.co.uk
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

last check-in before train down tomorrow morn - good luck everyone . . . .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I've just finished packing and had my last 6 mile run at plod pace. Had a massage this morning and a monster evening meal. I do love these last minute preparations image

In terms of targets I'll be aiming for sub 3 hours but taking nothing for granted. See some of you at the GFA start (I usually plant myself near the coffee stall, same place as last year). Otherwise hope to see as many of you as possible in the pub for tales of joy and woe. Hope you are still standing by then Minni...   

• A belated congrats to the Manchester marathoners. A fantastic set of results for the rest of us to aspire to on Sunday.

Expo for me today - picked up some new kit and some double espresso gels. Carb loading has begun (yum yum).
  • Resisted too many temptations at Expo yesterday although I did come away with a box of Beet It bars and some more Beet It shots. Tried on a pair of the Hoka One One Cliftons to see what they felt like and might be tempted to splash out on a pair post VMLM.

3.5 easy miles this morning - started carb loading this evening as well.

Green starters - where's a good place to try and meet up beforehand? How about to the right hand side (if you're looking at them) of the baggage lorries?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

MsE - good job I'm not superstitious then!
    All the best to everyone for Sunday - looks like there might be a spot of rain, but at least it shouldn't be really hot. I'm getting nervous now and I'm not even going to be there - can't wait!
    8 miles this morning with 10 x 400m tempo / 200m easy. 10k target pace would be 1:36 for 400m, but couldn't keep it that slow - averaged around 1:30. No idea how Zatopek managed to do 100 reps like that (only much faster too obviously!) Calf seems fine image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Not sure I'll be on again before the weekend, so just a quick post to wish everyone luck and hope you all nail your targets. One bit of advice though; the whole operation is much more straight forward if you don't fall over at mile 3 image Avoid that, and you should be fine.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Goodluck all the Londoner's ..smash it image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Good luck VLMers! See you on the other side at the pub image
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo, I've just ordered my second pair of Cliftons - used them for Manchester and they are great.

Good advice Abbers!

Good luck to you all, you brave warriors. Go steady then full beans to the end!! Can't wait to see the results! image
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Best wishes for all the VLMers.  You know what you have done in training, you know how to pace, you know your target and you know the importance of the 6 inches between your ears over the 26.2.  So it should be easy!image

I am planning a Clifton purchase too in the optimistic hope they reduce my likelyhood of injury - they launch in SA at Comrades Expo.

• Good luck to all the VLM runner's on Sunday.

Don't forget all those mornings / evenings / days / weeks / months you've dragged your ar$e out of the door in the cold / wind / rain to get the training done. All the times you questioned yourself. All those occasions you have thought about your PB you are chasing. This is the sum of all those runs put together.

#thisisnow

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Especially if your trainers match your short and vest combo....
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

That moment when you come to the top of Birdcage for the final turn...it'll be a mighty relief to get this far on Sunday.  Sunny today but I think the forecast is wet for race day.

/members/images/76130/Gallery/20150424_140056.jpg

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Also, at the expo - as I was leaving a small, quiet, modest lad called Dennis Kimetto was brought onto stage for a Q&A.  He was presented with a medal and cert from Guinness to mark his world record mara time. And revealed that his pre race breakfast is tea and one banana.

/members/images/76130/Gallery/20150424_114646_resized.jpg