Sub 3h15

Comments

• 19:36 at parkrun yesterday so another few seconds faster and in the right direction. It is getting better but only slowly: I had hoped for something much closer to 19 dead.

Plenty of things going on as fitbit, the new parkrun sponsor, launched their partnership at Black Park parkrun so they were there as were Paul Sinton-Hewitt and Chrissie Wellington. I beat Chrissie so that is one for a po10 oddity but PSH is pretty handy for an old 'un and left me over the last couple of km.

• Half marathon.
    Time 1:51:08, that's an average of 8:29m/m

Ok there was a warm up.
    Full race report on daily thread.
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/sunday-14th-june-2015/292002.html?lastunread=1&lastviewed=11083536

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    A 22min 5k in the middle of 19 is not a bad day out Birch. Maybe your top top gear was not quite firing but that's an impressive session.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure Badbark completed most of his marathons in the last few weeksimage

I agree with SJ, Birch.

Nice scalp, PMJ.  Was she jogging?image

16M for me this morning to bring up 50M for the week.  Very gradually starting to feel a bit fitter, but 4 stressful work days on the bounce to get through now...!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Great overall time Blisters. 5:09 is moving. Glad you enjoyed the silky swim too! I thought it was IM staffs that you were racing today. How was your time in terms of placing?

Well done on the celeb smashing PMJ.

Building back nicely Jools. What's the next target?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good outing, Blisters - great report - enjoy the feeding and watering  . . .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good effort Blisters, not great weather for racing.

16 here too, just at plod pace.

• 12 miles today with 7@7:30ish pace. Very high effort levels.

• Joolska wrote (see)

Nice scalp, PMJ.  Was she jogging?image

Me thinks she was taking it less than seriously. Seems she has only run one parkrun "hard" to beat Matt Shields, Steve Darby, Danny Norman, Liz Yelling and Steve Way at some parkrun ambassador weekend.

• Tony, plan was for 8@MP and it came out as 7@MP. Any particular reason? I normally find that if I can a session it is much sooner than 7/8th of the way in.

• Left hamstring/glute tightened and I was pushing way too hard aerobically. Ran up zig zags from the prom and it finished me off.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Rest assured, Tony, that the pace will be much easier to achieve as your training progresses. Hope the hammy and glute are OK.

Nice work, Blisters!  That is one seriously competitive set of times.  Well done!

Birch - you are having a laugh aren't you about that 5K time WITHIN a 19 miler?  That's a stonking effort. I am still getting mileage back up slowly post VLM and I haven't even gone beyond 15 OR raced a 5K let alone done both in one run.

Nice miles, OO and Jools.

And a great parkrun (time and company!) PMJ.

Rest today but the achilles always feels worse on my rest day.  Sigh.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

MsE - nice run with the dog.
    Madbark - congrats on the parkrun win and all the best with the HM and marathon this week!
    OO - great parkrun and good plodding.
    SJ - excellent swimming.
    Birch - impressive parkrun in the middle of a 19 miler! Well done.
    GM - very good progressive run.
    Speedy - congrats on the County Championship win.
    PMJ - sounds like an ejoyable parkrun and a decent time.
    Blisters - excellent effort - sounds like a good result.
    Jools - nice long run - hope work isn't too stressful.
    TH3 - that's still a very good session - nice one. Hope the legs are OK.
    10 slow miles inc. 10x100m strides to start the week this morning.

• Tony: some sessions are just not meant to happen. You will get some days when you fly through the session and other days when everything is a struggle. A big part of a marathon campaign is trying to judge what sort of day it will be. I have had days when the plan was long on Sunday, recovery on Monday and hard on Tuesday and felt that Tuesday was just not going to happen so have pushed it back to Wednesday and nailed a key session.

Hope the legs all clear up and move to somewhere where you don't have to do zig-zags: it isn't Exmouth is it as those are awful?

• Bournemouth Zig Zag.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Rubbish parkrun for me on Saturday. Weather was quite muggy and it felt very warm once we started the run. My legs never really got going and it was a struggle from start to finish. Breathing was also an issue, maybe the conditions affected my asthma?

The course is 3 laps with tight turns and partly on woodland type trails with tree roots etc. Others have told me that there are quicker parkruns to do.

Nevertheless, these are just excuses and it doesn't hide the fact that I broke the forum race rule of "don't be sh!t". I was and I scored a 20.10 which is 9 secs over my PB set a few week's ago on a course I know I can do sub-20. My training tells me I can. Finished 15th out of 208.

Did 44 miles on the bike in the Surrey Hills yesterday with 3000ft of climbing. Scored plenty of PRs on Strava as I tried to punish my legs for their Saturday failure.

Will read back now but looks like some good parkrun efforts over the weekend from PMJ and OO...

GD

• Forgot my Garmin today so will run a usual route and copy and paste and old trace. Should I pick a fast one or a slow one?

• G-Dawg there will always be other attempts. 

PMJ choose a really fast one image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Strides for me this morning too, Gul. 8 miles though rather than 10, @7:25/mi. Achilles behaving nicely. 

Dont beat yourself up, GDawg. You can do it all again next Saturday. image

The fast one definitely, PMJ. 

And I forgot to say huge well done to Speedy on the champs win! yipeee!

• Went for the second fastest one as it was a bit longer as wellimage

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Excellent result Blisters - you've got to be pleased with that. Particularly the bike leg seems very good average speed and lots of rider passed.

Well done Speedy on more metalware!

I really don't know why some parkrunners are dissatisfied this weekend.  It's all relative I suppose - your worst is better than my best.  I hardly race one as I run with my son as a social, but I think my PB is 21.xx and the xx is quite large if I remember.

Nothing special here - 8km on Saturday and 10km on Sunday all nice and gentle.

I'm on a rest day from running today, but will have 4 legs of cycle commuting as I realised when I got to the office that I had the car keys in my pocket so I had to take them back home at lunchtime.image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

You're right BI, but I need motivators. I'm scoring lots of PBs this year and this little sod is just keeping me at arm's length...for now! image

Good choice PMJ. A solid effort that gets one well into smug factor zone! image

7 hilly miles for me at lunchtime. 7.11 pace with a 6.22 mile to finish. So what the hell was Saturday all about!??? image

GD

• Permission to take a rest day? Legs a bit stiff.
    I've just been anal-ysing the data. 48 in age group.
    Overall 12/48 
    Swim- 23/48 (need to be 3 mins faster next year- that's doable)
    Bike- 10/48 (perfectly even splits, surprisingly)
    Run 16/48 (I let the side down. Sorry.)

Lesson: Don't mess about in this poncy multi sport stuff. It ruins your proper training.
    Did I say, I'm not in this to compete, only to complete.

• Blisters, if anyone wants to ruin a good run with that sort of silly warm up then they can. As well as declaring no intent to run Comrades I am also never doing a triathlon. I can swim but only as a precaution if  I get dumped out of a yacht or fall off a surfboard so I am happy to bounce up and down while being rescued but no intent to cover distance. I would certainly be last out of the water by some distance.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Blisters - That looks good to me.

MsE - Nice 8 miler and good news re the Achilles.

Bike it - Nicely back to it.

G-Dawg - That looks like a very solid time on that course. Maybe not the time you wanted but it will come.

A very hard session for me tonight. I went on a bender this w/end as it was b-day celebrations for a friend of mine and still felt hideous today. Met up with my speedy buddy and I could barley keep up. 5k average 6:40 pace then 5 x 1 min reps at 5:30 pace. She left me for dust and I felt awful but I'll take that considering the sate of me.

• G-Dawg - I can't remember exactly which part of Surrey you're in, but if you want a flat parkrun course then head over to the Rushmoor course in Aldershot. Suspect it might be a bit slippery when wet but on a dry day you're odds on for a sub-20.

Blisters - sounds like a pretty solid performance to me.

MsE - hope that the injury eases quickly. What sort of race plans have you got this summer.

Talking of the summer, I have decided that post-Comrades, some focus on speed is necessary so having eased back into things with a 19:54 on an undulating Guildford parkrun, tonight was the moment of truth: the local Vets League and I rashly decided to enter the 800m (i.e. less than 1% of the distance of Comrade - can anyone else claim that level of difference in two consecutive races?!) followed by the 3000m less than half an hour later. 

F*** me, it was tough!!! 800m in about 2:38 (so I'm only 25s slower than 14 year old younger Lorenzito imagealthough I'll maintain I was just treating it as a warm up for the longer race) followed by 11:22 in the 3000m (clearly the warm up didn't help in the slightest!). Some work to be done but at least it's a marker in the sand if I decide to do something similar again following a bit of focused training. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That was brave Lorenzo. I did run a 2:20 800M some years ago but it nearly killed me and I've never been back..

I'm glad I don't train with your buddy GerardM. Mine are mostly slower than me, which I much prefer.

GD I probably take parkruns more seriously than most. I'm away all week so I really appreciate a speedy session where I'm forced to go eyeballs out. But we all have dodgy days- just go back for more.

Enjoy the rest day Blisters- I took one too image.   

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO  - She is indeed quick. 2:10 for 800m, 4:32 for 1,500, so that says it all. I have never run an 800m but doubt it would be any good, so have never bothered.image

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Quick drop in from Siena. Beautiful city, simply outstanding food. Love Italians so much I actually married one along the way! Very hilly here (timed this trip to be a cutback week). 132 miles over past 2 weeks before arriving, including a 19 miler (first true LR in a while) w/a fast finish. Earlier last week the subLT session was hard work, then the LR midweek felt surprisingly good, then had very good subLT Sat. Mileage creeping up and everything still attached (knock wood).

My best races as a young fella were the 400M and the 300M hurdles. Ran the 800 1 time and never wanted to follow it up, ever. 400 is the perfect race. Balls out the whole way...no need to pace or get hung up in no man's land like the 800. Brave stuff Lorenzo! Wonder how fast I could cover 400M these days (notimage!).

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - good lunchtime run - just a matter of time before you get that sub 20.
    MsE - my 10 miles with strides was considerably slower!
    Blisters - that looks like a very good performance to me.
    PMJ - I'll fight you for last place in the swim!
    GM- tough session indeed!
    Lorenzo - good effort.
    VTr - sounds like the training is going really well. I presume you didn't get married during your current visit to Siena!
    12 miles d&d. 6 @ 8:33m/m and 6 @ 7:47 m/m.