ASICS Super Six: Alison (Sub-3:30)

Comments

• S-O-L-B, I like that one, selective decision making I thinkimage

I have a dreadmill in the house, it was a decision I took when the wife got fed up with me going out all the time running, she can keep an eye on me now and if she wants me to stop, then she just shouts.

It has also been a life saver beating bad weather, working late and when you just cannot be bothered to get all dressed up in the winter. I know a lot of people do not like them but it fits with what I do, and it does keep the peace at home, it did not cost a lot of money and my son gets on it now and then when his boozing and junk food diet make him feel guilty.

Not very often? 

• Have heard from Alison today

Hi Steve,

Owing to some strikes in north east India, we had to change our plans at the last minute, and one of the options was to go on a tiger safari. Unfortunately this has meant no training since that hill session I did on Weds, and we're not back in a hotel with gym until tomorrow. Nice to have a rest from treadmill, but am concerned about the enforced rest from, well, everything! It's just one of those things tho. Is really hot where we are and not possible or suitable to run outside either, notwithstanding the heat.

So, I shall keep you updated.

I'm confident that my base fitness will not be too affected be this mini break, and will get to assess progress, or lack of, when I do the Surrey Spitfire 20miles on 13 March!

Having a lovely time. Am back on evening of Weds 23 so will try to train thurs and fri that week, as well as picking up the usual plan from the weekend.

• Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting Alison`s latest e-mail.

Sorry to hear that her plans have curtailed her training and that it will be over a week of running missed, before she gets cracking again.

It makes me feel a little empty to be honest, as normally I follow the super six training forums and we all seem to go on a bit of a journey together, with them as the leading light and us following that beacon, but it feels as though the light is dimming somewhat.

I do hope when she gets back that she can pick up her training from where she left off and does not suffer too much from the missed sessions, and she can be active on here, and that her work has not all stacked up whilst she has been away and then there is all the post holiday stuff to do??????

She will do well to overcome all that and still run to her potential but as you know from experiance, only to well, that the marathon will punish those who have not trained specifically for it.

I was panicking over my missed sessions last week after my injury, but did come back well this week, so I suppose we can all do it  and I hope that Alison can too.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Shaggy, jump over to my RW Forum sub 3.30 thread. Unfortunately, no exotic holidays for me, although I do have a girlie night out at the beginning of march image
  • I agree the missed training isn't ideal but she is working hard in short bursts in India and she had worked well before she went and i am confident she will be able to get back to where she was by Mid March.
  • HURRAY feeling better at last *SOLB reluctantly puts the book down and blows the cobwebs off her trainers*

Steve when Alison gets back will you ask her to jump back in to the correct week of her training schedule or are there other more useful sessions that she can try to 'make up' for the missed ones? 

The change in Alison's plans could be really useful for us voyeurs (erm I mean forumites) it will be interesting to see how Alison copes with the break. Could be more informative than if she'd just stuck to the schedule, run perfect splits etc. 

Right that's it, I'm off, time to take the jelly babies for a run - survival of the fittest I say ......... you can all start mourning if the author of my next post is a very smug & somewhat bloated jelly baby!

• "Steve when Alison gets back will you ask her to jump back in to the correct week of her training schedule or are there other more useful sessions that she can try to 'make up' for the missed ones?"

Good question SOLB. Over to Steve MC.....
  • I'll discuss this with Alison but I think it would be better if there is one week getting back into it and then return to the schedule the second week back.

If you don't run at all due for a few weeks due to injury or illness then you may need longer to return to the schedule but Alison has been keeping fit and my guess if she won't have lost too much.

• Thanks Steve, will wait and see how Alison feels on her return, from reading her messages it sounds like she is pretty confident image

My first run went well - 13.1 miles in 2:10 (OK so not breaking any records but just so good to be out there again) *SOLB smugly massages swollen jelly baby filled belly*

• How many jelly babies SOLB?  I had 20 in 20 miles and when I got home found the remainder of the box had grown legs and climbed out of their pot!
  • mummer grunt Irm'm schhhocked UooSB *massive swallow* you just can't trust those little blighters image

(15 in 13 miles though the last 5 fell in my mouth after I'd finished running)

• Luckily they are on offer at Sainsbury's at the moment.  Shall I put a box in the trolley for you?
  • Only if bariatric equipment is also on offer ...
  • I'll keep a look out for the purple bariatric wheelchair at work.  We keep getting emails about it going missing image
  • Hi Everyone,

Good to hear Alison will be back soon !! I have no doubt that she will make up any lost ground and be a superstar come race day.

I worked Sunday so did my long run first thing today, 15 miles at 8.39 pace (ave), feeling good and enjoying the training. Looking forward to London and then on to Edinburgh !!

Have a good week all .

FH
  • Hi Steve,

This is my first marathon, so learning fast. On Sunday I ran 15 miles at 8 min/mile Pace which on reflection was to fast at this stage.

After my run I had to sit down all day and only feel fully recovered today, is this normal?

Also, how far should I try and run before the big day? I hear so many different things, some people have said 20 miles at most, others 18 and some even the full 26.

How far do other people plan to run?

Rod

• Rod - run your long run slower. Aim for 60-90 seconds slower per mile than your marathon pace. If you're knackered the day after, you might loosen up quicker by going for a recovery run. Just 3-4 miles really slowly. And I mean really slowly! If not, maybe just a walk. Most people's long run's go up to around 20 miles.
  • How is the training going with you lot? Less than 7 weeks left and mine isnt going too well to be honest. Not managing to get any long runs in with my bad ankles and shins, hopefully they will recover soon... mat
  • Rod - agree with Mr Spoons - too fast at this stage to run that far and the slower you go, the longer you should be able to run at and time on feet is very important.

I agree 20 is the norm to run a marathon properly - see the schedule on the front page to see what Alison is supposed to be doing!

sorry to hear mat - presume you are getting treatment

Have heard from Alison this morning.

The most recent hotel reopened their gym for me for 20mins on Sunday!
    I was hoping to do you 1min sprint, 1min off session, but couldn't get
    the treadmill above 9.4 kmph! So resolved just to jog for however long
    I could. Could set incline (to 2 pc) but couldn't see how to alter
    speed.
    Anyway, after 10mins I finally figured out how to use it (not as
    stupid as it may sound - it was not a brand I recognised) and managed
    5 sprints at 14kmph.
    Better than nothing!
    Am now full of the cold again, but, apart from just feeling a bit
    rubbish, is hasn't made much difference as no time to train anyway:
    full day sightseeing yesterday, 7 hour bus ride today and tomorrow all
    day on plane.
    I am aware this is far from ideal, but am dying to get back to it, so
    hopefully enthusiasm and teeth-gritting will get me back on track!

Back tomorrow night.

• Steve

It's not clear what's been done but it looks like in the 23 days of Feb Alison has run 9 times, outside twice and longer than 1 hour once.   

Personally I'd be very interested to see how you'll be adjusting the schedule as a result of February's training.  What is your assessment of what Alison is short of (everything obviously, but what is it most important to target) and how will that impact the next 3 weeks of training? What is the race plan?  Will you be racing less in order to get in training or stick with current races to give a better idea of fitness?

Beyond that she'll be tapering.  Have I got my timings right?  Will you go for a 2 week taper to give an extra week's training or stick with 3 weeks?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'm hoping for a sub 3 marathon next time around and thinking of following this schedule.  I'll have to knock 30 mins off my pb but I think it can be done, and especially fancy the holiday in India!

Seriously, I've been wondering the same as far as the rest of the training is concerned.  I'm worrying about missing just one session at the moment, never mind 3 weeks.  I would think the main thing that is missing is the long runs?  Will you be looking to up the mileage in the last few weeks?

• Good news for me tonight, went along to the club session and jogged around the 3k time trial in ??:18secs and the hamstring although slightly tender is not hopefully as bad as feared.

So a slow start to the week for me but it should pick up later in the week and if Bungay comes too soon then I will plan B and run elsewhere in the begining of May.

I am keen to see how Alison is when she gets back(apart from jet lagged) surely it is a big ask when you look at it from Moraghan`s analytical viewpoint, I am sure this has put unfair pressure onto Steve and all he can realistically do is damage limitation, and try and salvage the day by getting Alison around the streets of Paris in some semblance of a good performance.

Minni, I was going to follow that schedule as well, and bag myself a new pb too boot, shall we become training partners. I was hoping next time Runners World choose to run New york I always fancied that one.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Oh yes New York, or what about the Barbados marathon? 
  • No, It might be too hot to train there.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    We need to train...?
  • I've only run 5 times in the last  5 weeks and still have outside hopes of  breaking 3, so while Alison's break wasn't ideal she has done a lot more than me before she went away and has kept ticking over. More would have been better but hardly any marathoner does everything down on the schedule without some break due to injury, illness or family or work committments.

II agree it will be much harder to break 3:30 now but there is still time to get back on terms with the training. Next week would be good if I can assess the speed levels if Alison can make the group track session but before that over the weekend, a long run is essential to see where the endurance is.

I will go through tomorrow and see what I see is ideal to blend back into the schedule and yes a 2 week taper is now more likely.

• Another vote for watching how you handle this Steve. You might have only run 5 times in 5 weeks but you have years of experience and will know full well where you are at it terms of fitness, splits etc. Alison doesn't have that experience and even with your help and advice it has to be a very big ask for her to be anywhere near her potential come race day.