RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• woah woah woah Mr Spoons...don't go making claims you can't fully justify...I also obsess over my garmin watch stats AND I'm a qualified accountant!..surely I deserve a crack at that title!

we could have a bore off to settle this...I'll set up a spreadsheet image

yes please minni can you send me the file, my email is aca99gd@yahoo.com

Cheers,

• Oooh - can I have the spreadsheet too, please? I'm quite the Excel bore and I lurrrve my spreadsheets but my training one isn't too clever. Basically because I started it before I embarked on P&D and simply carried on.  I have PM enabled ...   THANK YOU  image

PS. day 8 of no running image  don't like the look of my RHR ...

• aca: Would suggest that your mileage might be a bit on the low side off 4 runs a week unless your cross training as well. If your not ceoss training chuck in 1 or 2 general aerobic 6 -8 mile runs. Mind you I ran 3-24 off 30 mile weeks, but was cross training.

Minni: hope your feeling less tired now.

Spoons / aca : you two sound like one of the club chairmen around here who knows everyones PB's at all distances off the top of his head, he once drew me a drawing to show how to create a finish shute for a race with 6 traffic cones and string, think I might have worked that one out for myself!

• Aca / Chick, do your spreadsheets contain graphs, pivot tables, WHATIF statements, macros etc?
  • Chick - do you have a spreadsheet for your RHR?
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Mr Spoons/Chick....  will you PM me your email address to send the spreadsheet through...please!
  • Been out of things the last few days thanks to a stomach bug which has also left me feeling drained. It's frustrating but seem to be a bit better today, so hope I'll be back into action again soon.

Minni - thanks for your suggestions for autumn marathons. How quickly do they fill up? I want to get into better shape with some more consistent training before I'm ready to enter one.

I was targetting 3:45 as I want to run Boston - but now I'll need to get even quicker!

Having said that, this thread has made me realise I could benefit from racing more often to track my progress - I tend to be reluctant to race unless it's an A race. I've entered the ballot for the Royal Parks half - I've done it before and like it. If I enter a marathon I'll use it to see how I'm going, but if not then I'll use that as my autumn target. I'd like to find a 10k or something similar to do in the summer.

Mr Spoons - I have spreadsheets like that. However I work with them so I find that the last thing I want to do when I get home is to use one for logging my running.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Oh man.  9 miles before work, 12 hours at work (yes, mainly spreadsheets...), 10 miles after work.  Who suggested the double again?!  What are you guys trying to do to me - this isnt normal!

At least I've got a few days to recover - apart from an easy 6 miler in Gateshead on Saturday with the girls I'm running Berlin with this autumn (their first marathon - v exciting), I'm on the bench til Monday.  Feel like I could sleep til then...

Good luck with long runs/races/getting better this weekend!

• kfc - sterling effort well done!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

kfc - total, total respect.  That is a mega session that will stand you in good stead both physically and mentally.   I can't remember who suggested the double... you'd never catch me doing a stint like that image

Enjoy your couple of days recovery - you've earned it!  Gateshead on Saturday - that's my neck of the woods image

BecsA - I think Kielder is a ballot, but not sure.  Steve Cram organises it and he's definitely making it a big event.  Its hilly, 26.2 around Kielder water.  Newcastle is very small.  They take 200 entries and last year there were about 150 ran.  Its 5 laps, zigzagging over the Town Moor, in the centre of Newcastle.  Mostly tarmac paths with one grassy hill and a couple of bits in mud.  I really loved this last year but it certainly doesn't have a city marathon feel.  Its has pb potential.  

My plan, after London, is to work on my shorter distance speeds through the summer, and start training for Newcastle.  Last year I was 6th lady but only missed 3rd position by 6 seconds - there was a race finish.  The first lady finished in about 3.22.  

DD Hope the half went according to plan (and the party!)  Looking forward to hearing about it. 

• imageimageimage kfc - super effort, especially that 2nd session AFTER a monster day at work. Wow. Don't think I could do that - I get up at 4am to get the running out of the way before work coz afterwards I'm too knackered, so hats off. Nice work.

Minni - I sent you my e-mail address

Spoons: no pivot tables or anything fancy in my training spreadsheet - I started it a long time ago and just carried on but it's a bit messed up by now and I know I could do a lot more fancy stuff with a new one. I'm the resident Excel geek at work image. Great idea about a RHR graph - I may work that into the new table image

Right, I have decided to can the race on Sunday. Freezing around the startline isn't very clever right now and it's supposed to be -4 with a sharp wind image.  Will try a first tentative little run tomorrow and then hopefully manage 15 on Sunday with the prospect of jumping right into a hot bath when I get back home image

DD: hope things went well at the half (and the party)
  • Minni - thanks for the spreadsheet. I love it image

I now need to cancel VLM and sign up for a marathon in 18 weeks time so I can start the training again as per the spreadsheet.....
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Mr Spoons wrote (see)

Minni - thanks for the spreadsheet. I love it image I now need to cancel VLM and sign up for a marathon in 18 weeks time so I can start the training again as per the spreadsheet.....

Chick - yours has been emailed too.
  •  kfc: doubles, love em.

Chick: a wise decision.

DD1 party survived, Gin bottle seriously depleted.

Me:Friday, another race ,another PB,

RAK 1/2 M the female world record was blown apart. 1-05-50 a WR by over 30 seconds, First Male 59-24. Some serious quick Kenyans / Ethiopians out front.

Me, plan run 4-20 min/K's the whole way, splits 5K 21-38, 10K 21-58, 15K 21-58, 20K 21-59, last 1.1K 4-47 Total 1-32-18 a PB by 26 seconds average pace 4-20 min/K !, 113 out of 1351.

The first 5K were comfortable, flat  and down wind, next 5K were flat except the 10th which was uphill and the slowest of the day, 10 -15K into the wind digging hard, 15-20K down wind again and desperately hanging onto club mates heels, last 1.1K breathing out of my arse working as hard as I have ever done, leave club mate and dig, dig, dig. The hardest PB I have ever done, but then I am training 14 hours + a week so what could I do with a taper? Absolutely shattered.

• Thanks Minni - got it.

DD - awesome, just awesome. What could you do with a taper indeed. Sub 1:30 I'd say.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Dubai Dave...  you are da man!  Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!  Those splits are so even.    Hearing just how deep you had to dig to get that pb is something for us all to aspire to.  I hope you'll have a day off tomorrow?  Did you feel in pb shape before you started?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Just back from 8.5 including 5 x 800m.  Unfortunately not as evenly paced as DD's half marathon...

Just over 3miles warm up... 3.22, 3.12;  3.30; 3.18; 3.35, with 3 min recovery, 2 mile warm down.  1,3 & 5 were on a slight incline into the wind so 2 & 4 were slight decline with wind behind.  Not too happy about the last one image.  I knew it was going to be the slowest since the wind was the strongest and felt like I was working hard but not getting anywhere fast, but I would have liked it to be slightly faster than that. 

Oh and number 4 felt the easiest... don't know if that makes any difference! Last week when I did 4, number 3 felt the easiest.
  • Hello all, sorry for joining in so late... but on the plus side it's been fun catching up today with what's been going on on the forum for the last month and a half. For those of us not running until the end of May and only getting into our race prep now there's a lot of wise words and good ideas in here - so thanks!

In particular I'm glad to see so many fans of spreadsheets and copious talk of boring the other half with splits, and other fascinating data from the garmin.

I am (optimistically) aiming for 3:30 (I guess like most on this thread are),... but it's my first marathon so really not sure what is possible. That said I've taken a lot of confidence from what you've all been saying and will also be looking up P&D as soon as I've made this post. Those dark cold morning runs no longer seem so bad when I read what you were coping with at the end of December!

• Welcome daniel. What marathon are you training for?

DD - totally amazing effort - well done.image

Minni- I always do my reps on the treadmill - so cheating really so respect to you for battling the elements.

Chick - good luck to you on Sunday

Day off today and tomorrow ( well may do a few miles tomorrow easy)  ahead of Bramley 20 - still trying to work out my plan of attack and how many MP miles I should try and do. But, its my first 20 of the campaign so just doing the distance will feel good. And yet again, the weather looks nasty!image

• Well done to kfc for a bumper and some serious mileage clocked up, and to DD for the PB. image Some incredible determination there.

Minni - are you noticing any difference from the speedwork, either in how you're finding it or on your other runs? Good to have another session bagged and your times on the first 4 look pretty close to what you did when you only had 4 to do.

Daniel - the nice thing about a first marathon is whatever time you get it'll be quite an accomplishment and also a PB. There's some great experience on here though, wish I'd known a bit more of this stuff before I did my first.

• Which race Chick?

Excellent stuff DD
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Daniel ... hello and welcome!  What marathon are you doing?  You must be about 5 or 6 weeks behind us doing London?  I can email you a spreadsheet that goes with the P&D if you like? 

BecsA ...  I have been extremely tired since my last set of intervals (5 days ago).  It could be coincidence, but I think its a result of my body working so hard, albeit for a short time, doing something its not done before.   I actually feel less tired tonight after the session this afternoon.   I found the last one the hardest today and the headwind didn't help.  When I finished I swore out loud at myself for a few seconds, then thought I was going to cry!!!!   But, on a positive, I thought the reps had been slower than they were.  I wouldn't have been surprised if that last one had come in around 4 minutes.  AA There is no way I could do that pace on a treadmill, I seriously don't know how you do it!

AA ... if its any help I did 12 miles MP last week in a 16 mile run.  My next one is in 3 weeks and it 14 MP in an 18 mile run.  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    chick... probably a good decision for Sunday. 
  • Well done DD. Sounds like you gave it your all!

Good to see everyone going well and building up for monster March.

I've been a bit quiet as I am stil struggling with my shoulder as well as constant colds. I'm not really enjoying running at present as is still uncomfortable and I am not getting much sleep. The physio is now talking about surgery.

I am thinking about defering from London as I don't really want to run if it is going to be painful ( well, more painful than a marathon usually is) and if I can't run my best. I'm not taking any painkillers and managed a very uncomfortable 22 miler yesterday so my other option is to dose myself up on the day as it isn't like a running injury where I could make it worse.

I've also just found out that my 13 year old dog has leukemia. I know she is only a dog but she has been the best running partner I've had and it makes me very sad. No sympathy necessary but I know AA and Minni will understand. (I remember AA telling me how upset she got when my dog went misssing just before I was due to run a marathon).

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

CG ... I've been thinking about you and wondering how its going.  It sounds like you're having a really rough time.    Marathon - only you can make that decision.  I think, if it was me, I would be deferring but a few years ago I ran when I should have deferred last minute.  Daughter had appendicitis, I'd not slept for 3 nights before the marathon etc.  I ran 4.15 and felt lousy throughout but when I crossed the finish line I had felt I deserved that medal more than any other.  Then collapsed a few days later while in hospital with daughter and ended up in a bed myself....!

caterpillar girl wrote (see)

I've also just found out that my 13 year old dog has leukemia. I know she is only a dog but she has been the best running partner I've had and it makes me very sad. No sympathy necessary but I know AA and Minni will understand. (I remember AA telling me how upset she got when my dog went misssing just before I was due to run a marathon).

A dog is never 'only' a dog.  They are our companion, best friend, totally loyal, never demanding and give us unconditional love.  And, the best running partners we'll ever have.  My heart goes out to you. 

Take care. x

• Aw shucks. A difficult decision to make, although if you have to have surgery that decision may be made for you. It sounds like you may be best to rest, recover and come back with a vengeance. Take care CG. Thinking of you.
  • Minni wrote (see)

I have been extremely tired since my last set of intervals (5 days ago).  It could be coincidence, but I think its a result of my body working so hard, albeit for a short time, doing something its not done before.   I actually feel less tired tonight after the session this afternoon.   I found the last one the hardest today and the headwind didn't help.  When I finished I swore out loud at myself for a few seconds, then thought I was going to cry!!!!   But, on a positive, I thought the reps had been slower than they were. 

Sounds like you feel better about the session afterwards than you did while doing it (so some good mental toughness to get through it) and that your body's starting to get a bit more used to the session.

CG sounds like a tough time. Take care.
  • Hi All

Daniel: welcome, what marathon?

Minni: Nice reps, I always find the 3rd or 4th the easiest. No one ever wants to do speedwork, but I always feel so smug afterwards. I promise they will get easier each time you do them.

AA: Good luck at Bramley, I would decide how many miles at MP on the day depending how you feel but at least 10.

CG: tough decisions, good luck. Dogs  / cats are part of the family and deserve unconditional love in return, go well.

Thanks for the well dones re yesterdays 1/2M, no it wasn't one of those magical days when you know your going to have a good day, I certainly didn't feel in PB shape but recent race results and speedwork sessions told that I was. So it was  PB hewn out of granite, the knowledge that there was evidence that it was possible was enough to make me believe and give the determination to try.

• DD - even more impressive to get a PB when you're not feeling in PB shape. You also seem to have built up a really good knowledge of what results in training mean for you, which I guess mainly comes through experience.

Felt shoddy this morning. No longer stomach bug but now a cold (it's not that I've got a particularly bad immune system, everyone at work is ill). However I know I can't fit in a run tomorrow so decided to just go for 4 miles fairly steady pace. Felt rubbish while running but HR was low and speed for the HR was the best I've got, which was quite confusing! I think the days off I've had this week means I've got fresh legs and the adaptation from the previous weeks' effort. Glad I didn't do more than 4 though as knee was niggling at the end which happens more often when under the weather.

AA - good luck tomorrow

• CG - hugs! And i agree with the others - a dog is a family member and there's nothing harder than when they get old and sick. I was so upset after my 2nd one died that I decided I won't have another one. Am having 2nd thoughts about it now .... maybe when I retire and have time on my hands...  I am unsure about London myself. This week will tell me how much fitness I've lost. There's a marathon in Hanover on May 8 which could well be plan B.

Minni: congrats on getting another set of 800s out of the way.

Did 6 miles offroad today, very easy and the running felt normal although my nose is still in competition with the legs as far as runnning is concerned! Breathing a bit laboured but it was freezing and the old asthma doesn't much like cold air anyway. Pace and HR where well in line, which was comforting.

Spoons: the race would have been #4 of a winter series of nearly half marathons that I signed up for. Bit of an odd distance at 12.8 miles. I did 3 so far and will give the last one on March 20 my all. This one would have been an MP test but the way things are at the mo I feel better with an easy offroad 15 miler tomorrow and a lovely hot bath straight after.

AA: good luck with your race tomorrow.

Becs: sorry to hear you are poorly. It's just htis time of the year. Lots of bugs about and the immune system has been battered by all those miles.

Daniel: welcome! Tell us more! Which marathon, which races have you done before, PBs etc. We love geeky data on here image