RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Yes Freemers I've read his pitch and wondered the same. There's no times of races to back it up and yet he must have the potential since he's got this far. Perhaps if he starts a thread we'll learn a bit more.

Or maybe DS2 or Sarah can give us more details?
  • Thankyou guys for voting for me, im the sarah o in the busy life category (although you wouldnt think it the amount of time ive manage to get on here over the last few days....im hooked)

Im so grateful to you all, minni, simon, spoons, HHH, SBC, FRC, SSC, LC and everyone else who has voted for me.

Freemers i think your probably right about doing two marathons in 2 weeks...might be best to defer, i might not even get the chance to make the decision if I dont get through to paris so i will stop worrying for now.

I apologise about my profile/150 words....it sounds so dull compared to the others especially the other sarah's! I will have to work on a more exciting thread.

Just going to attempt a run....then the thread will begin. I will add a link when its sorted.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/

Thankyou again for your support, I really do appreciate it

• I didnt get to meet him last friday so im not sure. Sounds like an impossible time (well for me) to aim for....what dreams are made for!!! image

• So over the last few days running seems to have become an extreme sport with falls on black ice (hope all better now) and avoiding attackers image. Take care out there all of you please!

Weeble, you seem to be getting back into things nicely now. So good to see after the tough time you had with your injury.

Oompa, sound like positive news from the physio as it gives you something to do to get training again.

Spoons, how is your new training programme comparing to the coach psycho one?

Sarah, welcome to the thread and good luck with the asics competition.

My non-running training has been better the last few weeks as I'm getting out on the bike more often now I'm not working 11 hour days plus making my pilates and yoga classes. However I tried running last Friday and almost immediately the knee hurt image so I cut it very short at 1.5 miles to not do more damage. I think I need to see a physio as the chiro's treatment hasn't done the job as it usually does. Any recommendations for one around South London or near Waterloo/Victoria/Westminster area?

I'd like to do Jantastic but unless I can make considerable progress on the knee very soon then I think it'll rule me out.

On non-running stuff, Chick that sounds like one good Christmas party. I hope mine next week is as good, but I doubt it.

O4S, my birthday a couple of weeks ago was nearly as bad since that was one of the 11 hour days at work, although OH did what he could around that. However I did get a diamond as OH asked me to marry him this last weekend image.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Laast Christmas - I'm in the GFA.

I didn't meet fast Ricky but the guy I sat next to ran 18.03 for the 5k and got lapped .......twice!!!

I did think he'll have a proper good coach and that why does he need this as well so voted for someone else.

Lot of talent though and great ambition!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

A fast 5k doesn't necessarily give you a fast a marathon though, eh guys?!!

BecsA - that's brilliant news! Congratulations!  Gosh we're going to be busy with weddings. 

AA - well doen on your reps today.

• I'm voting for the 2.20 guy just to call his bluff. Although the shortlisting has improved over the past couple of years so maybe he has a decent stab at it and that would be good to watch.

Glad to see you running niggle free KFC. It may only be a mile but it still counts.

Barry I'm doing three a week at the moment. If I do marathon training I'm doing a four runs a week schedule, so only one more to add in.

Although after my glee yesterday I've had discomfort in my hip all day. So hard to know what's acceptable pain and what's a warning sign.

Becs, congratulations! And sorry to hear you're still struggling with the knee. I'm never sure what counts as a good physio, I had a good once over from the Sixt physio in Fulham, but a dreadful time at their City branch so not sure that's a ringing endorsement of the chain.

Happy belated birthday O4S. Come on, you'd worry if BA suddenly started splashing out!

• Becs - Great news, which mara are you going to run for the honeymoon? He he!

Minni - In the first timers I went for the girl. The sob story of her OH dying pulled at my heart strings. You girls are good at that.

Cyclists - Dont forget BBC1 9pm War on our roads, should be a interesting.
  • Brolish/Minni- I have checked and I can update Jantastic on the Saturday before I go skiing and update the week whilst i'm away on the Monday on my return, so panic over phew! Brolish- What date do you go? I'm in a different resort than you so I shouldn't have anything to worry aboutimage

Thanks for the info ref the 10k, I'm looking for a pb so anything under 41:50!!!!

KFC- Glad you enjoyed your run, can I ask why was you out for 5months?

Freemers- Nightmare ref showers, you will have to take some wet wipes with you next time.

oompa- Good news from your physio.

Sarah- If you run Paris you can be a  cheerleader with me at London. I'm saving my GFA for 2014.

Becs- Hope you can get your knee sorted out asap. I'm guessing its ok when you cross train? Congratulations, have you set a wedding date yet?

• Becs- many congrats!!!image I have a great physio in Richomond who is also a very good runner.  Pm me if you're interested and I'll give you the details.

Sarah and DS2- done! You both got my vote.

Sub 2:20??? That is strange. Surely if you're that good you have a coach already or can get one easily without the competition...image

AA- nice reps!

6m done @ 8:27.  I seem to be running my easy runs at the same pace I was running them before the mara which is encouraging.  Hopefully won't take me as long as the last time to get back to a reasonable pace. It's fresh out there.

• Gazelle- xpost.  I think it's 16th Jan. I'm not running a marathon so there's nothing to worry about! LOLimageimage

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Brolish - thank you very much.

Sarah's a great choiceimage 

• BecsA wrote (see)

Spoons, how is your new training programme comparing to the coach psycho one?

Much more strength, stamina and hill work training. Much less speed......

• Sarah - has anyone mentioned to you that the Asics 6 is a poisoned chalice? You'll be better off sticking around this thread without the pressure of the super6....

• Quick hello,

just voted for Sarah and DS2, good luck guys!

hating the weather, left home this morning at 7am (for a 40 minute commute) got into work at 11:20, stupid snow! Needless to say didn't go running tonight, as planned. Finding it all too easy to duck out when not following a schedule image

Hope everyone is ok out there in the ice, will do a proper catch up again at the weekend image

• And having just properly read back the last page - Congratulations BecsA, ohh so exciting for you!

• Becs - congratulations on your engagement image (I presume you said yes?!) Sorry to hear your knee is still playing up.  Not sure of Waterloo / Westminster area but I know of a good physio around Reading if that helps?....

Sarah - keep an eye on the forecast for Saturday if you do decide to parkrun, a few were cancelled last week. Durham due to black ice on the course, I think Chester le Street was flooded and Sunderland was cancelled because of the crummy weather, oh and Sedgefield didn't happen either image You've definitely got sub-3:30 in you with your other race times.  I'm also doing VLM next year, plus either Amsterdam or Town Moor.  I'll be at Brass Monkey too.

They're sure dragging their heels over NYC marathon Bro, it was a month ago! This time of year is when folks will be getting their guarateed / GFA entries in for 2013....

Nightmare with the showers Freemers, cold showers are horrible!  Baby wipes, dry shampoo and some of that 'Keep clear - crime scene' tape for around your desk post-run in case of emergencies image

Weeble you're really coming back well, you'd already entered Brighton hadn't you?

I've (touch wood) never had any bother when I've been out running, apart from the odd close shave with dogs.  I do sometimes think (when I'm not running) that I may have just been lucky.  In the summer I run up the old railway lines, more often than not on my own, but there's so many other people about on bikes, walking, running, etc that I don't worry.  In witnter I just stick to streetlit routes with footpaths. I used to do most of my runs early morning and like Bro had the opinion that it was too early for the psychos to be up and out. I guess you can never be too careful though, I never run with music and always let Parsnip know where I'm planning on running and how long to expect me to be.

Happy Birthday for yesterday O4S image Chocolate Buttons are my favourite.

2Old for Xmas sounds a bit anti.

Speedy 1K reps Ant! That 19:XX is yours.

700s sound good AA, breaks up the monotomy of the usual 400s, 800s, mile reps, etc.

11 miles done tonight in the inch of snow that fell around teatime.  I'd finished work early to go to the registry office round the corner from home so had a nice easy commute.  I've since heard that utter chaos unfolded shortly after I got home in a way that can only happen in Great Britain when it starts snowing.

Off to join Jantastic....

• On the topic of running safety, I saw a link to this blog the other day. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Kiwi - thanks for the vote! Much appreciated. I got to meet Sarah on Friday. She's a great choice!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

On the topic of safety, for the cyclists amongst us did anyone watch tonights programme on BBC1 at 9pm entitled 'War on Britains Roads' - frightening stuff. Think I'll stick to running!

Congratulations Becs image

• Becs - Congratulations.

Votes now cast for DS2 and Sarah, I recognise Tamsin from a few local races.  Hope you are going to still post with us when you have your own threads.image And Sarah sub 2:20 is an impossible time for most mortals.

• Not too late to back out Becs image  Still a diamond is a diamond - I think I may still have mine somewhere unless BA pawned it to buy the chocolate buttons.

I'm officially on the bench image   Another two freezing bike rides and a desperate day at work should have warned me off running tonight - but the forecast for tomorrow evening is hideous so thought I would get on with it.  Did about 1.5 miles warm up and hit the first hill - after 100 yds had to stop and walk, couldn't breathe, legs turned to jelly.  Started to run again at the top but at about 10mm, still felt dreadful and actually had to stop to catch my breath going downhill.  Methinks this lurgy is a bit more than a bad cold.  Hoping to get an appointment with the Doc on Friday and meanwhile will take things easy.

Cycling programmes always pick the worst cyclists and the worst drivers, otherwise it would be rubbish TV.  Leaving the Univerity tonight I was asked if I was in fancy dress, impersonating a Christmas tree image.  Told you my new lights were effective image

• And a belated Happy Birthday O4S! Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • DS2- Yes saw it. I think the conclusion is there's too many tossers on he roads, whether on 2, or 4 wheels.

Carot - Nice 11m, was there any snow left or was it slush?

Bro/Gazelle - Where abouts are you skiing, or boarding? Hopefully you'll be too knackered to go running, cus you'll have 2foot of fresh powder every night. If you've got time for running, the snows crap!
  • Thankyou ever so much again to all those voting for me and for DS2. I really do appreciate it and wont let you down if I get through. And as DS2 said about me, I met him on friday and he is a great guy

Gazelle....I love your idea of being a cheerleader but I cant even do a cartwheel, am I allowed to just wear the gear and wave my arms around?

Haha thanks Spoons I do like this thread and the people on it so I will be sticking around

Becs I know I dont really know you yet, but congratulations.

Merry carrotmas - thankyou for the advice. My sister in law was stuck in traffic for hours trying to get home today, been told that the ice and snow was awful so it may well be called off. I hadnt even considered them being cancelled, so thankyou for the heads up. Congratulations aswell on getting into the brass monkey...we could all meet up afterwards for coffee and cake!

• Sarah - Be warned, they don't do coffee and cake on this thread. It's meet up the night before, get shit faced. Do race, meet up afterwards, get shit faced. I'm too much oF a lightweight to drink with them lol.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    It's true Simon! And your day is coming .... You're going to have to drink with us and race with us!

Right gang, here's something to do sitting at your desk tomorrow. Circle your right foot in a clockwise direction and with your right hand draw a number 6 in the air. See what happens to your foot.,..
  • Voted for DS2 and Sarah.

Sarah I do cake & coffee to refuel & warm up, then maybe a few beers.

I have heard of the guy aiming for 2:20, Ricky Challinor, he runs for a club nearby, even in some of the league races I do, and is very fast - but will already be coached, so a bit cheeky. Power of 10 stats here, including a 71 min half marathon which wasn't a race effort or trained for supposedly.

Voted for someone else. He's a professional athlete nearly, national standard. Doesn't need this.

BecsA congrats! Fabulous.

O4S, doctors for you, quite a few with chest problems that won't clear.

Gazelle, very wise finding out what resort Brol is going to, risk of a heat wave or skiing cancelled?image
  • Morning

Voted for Sarah, DS2, Lady tugging at my Heartstrings and ignored 2-20 man on exactly the same basis as everyone else.

Becs: Congratsimage

Minni: Tried your testimage, interesting

Have finally got the sore throat that my kids have had for two weeks, hopefully its not going to screw up my race tomorrow. Someone upstairs clearly doesn't want me to cycle this week, went out again last night and two more punctures and then I found the bulge in the sidewall!  Rest day today, I haven't had a week this easy in a long time!