RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Hi Gang - popping in to report that there is nothing much to report!!  Went to Doc on Friday, pretty inconclusive.  Might have very slight chest infection, but nothing that would explain other symptoms so took an armful of blood and give me a peak flow meter to use for a few days to get a few readings.  Was told to exercise if I wanted at a very modest pace and just see how I felt.  Went for a 4 mile run on the flat yesterday at around 9mm - 9.30mm and although felt tired and a bit chesty was otherwise OK.  Walked for 4 hours today, a few hills but nothing serious - again OK, but feel absolutely wiped out all the time so something is clearly not right.

I hope you will all be pleased to note that we are getting into the spirit of our forum names and bought 2 'Bah Humbug' hats at Poundland!

• Brolish wrote (see)
    Just finished reading Chrissie Wellington's 'A life without limits' and feeling totally inspired. What an amazing woman.
    It's looking nice out there for my 5m xc later.

a great read - slightly gutted she's announced her retirement this week - her achievements have been criminally under sold by the media

has she inspired you enough to join the darkside?? image

Brolish wrote (see)
    Morning everyone
    Managed to abandon the Christmas party before it went all downhill so happy to report no dirty dancing and no hangover. Very proud of myself.image
    Just finished reading Chrissie Wellington's 'A life without limits' and feeling totally inspired. What an amazing woman.
    It's looking nice out there for my 5m xc later.

Spoons. wrote (see)

The grey seals are all having their pups at the minute so we've been out for a walk this afternoon having a look. Very cute. 

there is a seal colony near here in langstone harbour - one of them decided to pop his head up while i was out so a sea swim with the tri club! i didnt see it and carried on swimming but soon noticed that everyone else had scrambled out of the water!!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Hi All...sorry about the absence..it's been hectic since returning home and I've struggled to find a few spare moments.

Some great running in awful conditions by team Minni and interesting debate about LRs and why Darren is super fast. I've not done a jot since last Sunday until today hoping my calf would loosen up so I can start marathon training feeling 100%. Managed a 6.3 mile run today at easy pace of 7.49 keeping off the hills. Calf feels tight but not the lump that was there a week ago so fingers crossed .may try another tomorrow.

DD/O4S- get well soon.

DD- you have been on fire recently so a short rest won't do any harm.

Ant- LRs and MLRs are the way to go for marathons IMO. Do them slow and you'll have what you need to do re other runs. I leave the MP/fast runs to the last 6-7 weeks. But everyone has their own way of going about it as DD says

Sarah- impressive running. I agree with Bro that its how much you go under 3.30 will be the question assuming you get the mileage in and I don't doubt that you will do lots

Spoons- cute baby seeks- I once saw a dead seal on our local beach when running along it

Bro- I see you are soon back in the thick of it- literally!

Minni- think you should have worn skates ...lethal. Good to get to 16 at this stage so you will be doing 20s in Jan easily

Oomp- you are building up the mileage even though there are the odd setbacks. Hope that it continues to work. Looks like I may be going ahead on the same basis but will lay off fast stuff for a while.
  • 2old- Lets hope that the rest was all you needed for your calf, do you have a foam roller that you could use to iron it out a bit more?

I'm hoping to follow Darren's route and get super fast over the next few months so keep posting your training runs pleaseimage

Sarah- 12miles at mp, wow that's some going at such an early stage in your training, that must give you a big boost.

Chick- Good luck tomorrow if its still on.

Bro- Well done on the xc, are you or anyone else on here entering the RW forum 6?

DD- What a great result even though you were ill. 

Dubai Dave wrote (see)
    PS I know who the mentors are and I'm not one of them!

Go on spill the beans......

Minni- Careful on your lsr tomorrow, that road looks lethal.

This week I have completed a tempo run (7.08mm), speed session 8x300m between 6:17 and 6:23mm, an 8.3mile off road run and a couple of recovery runs. I just hope I haven't left all my speed in training for next weeks 10k.

• Bro - Well done on the xc race, and not going too fast.

Minni - I agree with the others, zip your woman suit up and get out there, our are you going soft in your old age!

Well went out for a 13m lsr this evening. Whilst running thru a small village (churchtown) with narrow pavements. I was adjusting my bumbag

strap on my right side, Oh and they also have

bollards to stop cars parking on the pavement.

Yes you've guessed it, whilst looking down I

must of drifted slight to the right and the next

minute WHACK, at 8.30 pace that's 7mph into a

bollard, then flying thru the air and hit the deck with a thump, What the F. After a few secs I got up and hobbled over to a bench in a bus stop, obviously pretending I meant to do it. As I was twisting to the right, I took the full force on my left hip/side. I was only 3m into my run, so I had to decided whether to head back home before it stiffens up and call it a 6m tempo. But decided to carry, mile 4 was a bit slower, but I was back up to 8.30pace by mile 5, so carried on. Left side starting feeling stiff by mile 10, but still managed 12m and virtually bang on target of 8.31ave pace. I found out why I was able to carry on, it was just above my hip that took the full force of the bollard, that area just above the top of your pelvis and bottom of the rib cage, where there's no bones.

1- still managed to get my lsr in. 2- no damage to my running gear. 3- On 3 runs a week, tomorrow is definately a rest day.

I'm now sporting, what if I was a biffer, is a large muffin top on my left side. Hehe
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

2old - glad you've had a week off.  Lets hope that's sorted the calf out.  By the way how are those micro pigs coming along?

O4S - image  This chesty thing that's going around is horrible.  Lets hope you're on the mend soon.

Simon - so funny!  Glad you're ok and well done for not ditching the run. 

Gazelle - do you think you're in pb shape for next week?

I'm not sure anyone on here needs the Forum6.  Everyone is highly motivated and we dish out loads of advice between us.  However, if anyone was thinking about it then I'd definitely recommend it.  There are some top quality mentors involved this year and you might not get this chance again.  

• Minni - I don't think they have any street cameras in that village, but if they did, I think I would be fighting for top spot on Youtube with Mr Z.

Re the Forum 6, why would we go for that, when we've got 10-15 great mentors already on here with Team Minni, and now a Doctor! Yipee
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Totally agree Simon.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Minni- nice to be back. Pigs won't stop eating but still small....ish. We don't need motivation just a physical overhaul or glasses(Simon!) . Calf still not 100 % so will take things easy for now .

Simon- was your fall filmed for You've been framed? Good to see you manned up and saw that long run out to the end....an example to others. Time to visit specs savers?

Gazelle- foam roller is on my Xmas list but I've got a vibro plate so will use that a bit too. Good collection of runs this week and fast paced too.
  • 2old - I like to use those Power plates at the gym. I do some stretches on them, and also some single leg balance moves to strenghen my ankles. Unfortunately they haven't improved my eye sight lol.

Minni- When I got home and showed my OH my injury. She just rolled her eyes, and said I was getting a bit 'Ditsey' in my old age. I think that was just another suttle way of saying, shouldn't you stop mara running at your age. (angry face).
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I've discovered the inner cardboard from a roll of wrapping paper works the same as a foam roller. image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Minni- good idea. ....one from the Blue Peter generation.

Miserable start to the day in the NW

Good running all today.
  • Hungover image

I have a long run to do. Can't face it image

• Morning

2Old- can we please have some pictures of the micro pigs? Hope the calf is better.

Gazelle- some speedy running this week, I'm sure you will smash that 10k next week. I won't be applying for the Forum 6. Happy with how things are going with Moz and like Minni said there's more than enough advice on here.

O4S- hope you're feeling better today.

Simon- ouch ouch ouch. Glad no serious damage has been done! Lol about OHs comment.

Hope Chick gets to run today and that the conditions are reasonable.

4m easy planned for today.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Bro- I will give it a go but I haven't worked out how to upload pics here. The file sizes always end up to big. Anyway they are more midi than micro. Funny talking about pet pigs as I cook sausages. That reminds me to go and feed them .. Again. The calf feels as tight and hard as a small medicine ball. I think the problem us that I reduced the size of the calf area when I fell backwards onto my ski boot and this is now taking its toll. Be assured I will get there. Pain is in the mind. Not sure how many miles I will manage to do .. If any but not worrying about it as I felt pretty good yestrday minimal fitness lost.

Spoons- best way to clear the head .. Enjoy .
  • Ouch, Simon image. Glad the injury doesn't seem too bad. But give it a few rest days if the bruise still hurts badly.

2old: nice to see you back!

Well, the race wasn't cancelled. Apparently the conditions were ok where the race was taking place but we never made it. Total wipeout this morning. 15cm of fresh snow and none of our roads had been cleared yet. The 45 min drive would have easily taken twice as long. In the end couldn't be bothered to go through that for a mediocre time. Let's face it: running on snow isn't really conducive to fast times. It's now raining and blowing a hooley. Yuk. I baked a bread and made some x-mas cookies instead image. Once it's less slippery out there I will go for a little run. Target  mileage for the week is 80 and I am missing 6 to get there image

Spoons: get out there! Running makes the hangover disappear in no time, honest!

• O4S: hope they find out what's wrong with you. It may just be a virus that's taking it out of you.

• Chick - Fresh baked bread and cookies, yum yum. Can't you wiz some in the post for a very stiff x- runner hehe. Didn't sleep well last night and now my whole body aches. Sounds like I've got a good excuse to lie in front of the telly and watch the European xc champs on BBC at 12.00.

Oh and if you get them here by 12.00 even better.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

80 chick?  Did you say 80???? image  Sounds like you've got a lot of snow.  Shame about the 10k.

Lovely morning here.  Windy but the sun is out and the air is cool rather than cold.  16 miles avg 8:45.  I'll take that.

Spoons  - tut tut! image

• Old4Scrouge, fingers crossed the blood test will show something up and if not least it will rule common causes of teeling tired out such as anaemia and thyroid problems. I know we have a lot of whooping cough going around still which can make you chesty, wheezy and tired without many signs when you listen to someones chest. Hope they get to the bottom of it soon and your feeling better soon.

O4S Hope you feel better soon....again whooping cough is going around at the moment and causes persistent chest symptoms (sometimes up to a couple of months)....dont always get signs on the chest...might be worth asking to be checked to see if you have had that to give you some answers

Hi 2old, and Gazelle, thankyou for the positive comments

SBC, I cant believe that they didnt cancel the race in those conditions, you did right staying in. 80 miles? OMG, thats loads....how do you fit all those in?

Ouch simon that sounded painful, but least it didnt spoil your run. Hope your not too sore (and black and blue) this morning?

What a fabulous idea minni, Sarah recommended a foam roller at BC last week so i was planning on getting one, but now I can use the home made version instead!

2old ive found that the photos ive saved on my computer are too large to upload on here, but if i download and save them again from facebook, they some how become smaller and will upload on here!

Spoons, Im in agreement with 2Old and SCB....best way to cure a hangover is to bite the bullet and go for a run, although its not going to be an enjoyable one, good luck!

Ive itchy feet...at my inlaws, left my trainers at home, so ive got to wait until I get home this evening before I can get out on a run!

• Chick- good call and nice mileage there! I'll be following in your footsteps soon.

Simon- sounds like a duvet day is in order. Thanks for the heads up in the xc champs.

Minni- nice LSR. image
  • Sorry to here about your aches this morning simon , have you a local pool to go to, swimming may ease things for you? 

Good run this morning Minni, i'd take it too! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I had company this morning, which was nice.  Did 1.5 first then met a running chum for 13.5 then the last mile on my own.  Didn't see anything dead this morning but did see a beautiful fox running though the fields, a heron, and a big ball of black and white fluff which was a collie pup and was determined it was coming with us!

Sarah - I do the facebook trick on my pc to save opening up photoshop, which always seems to take forever.  Can you do that from your phone too?  I'll have to investigate. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sarah - we were talking about paces of long runs the other day.  These were my paces today:

1)  - 1m - 9:07
    2)  - 1m - 9:02
    3)  - 1m - 8:58
    4)  - 1m - 9:34
    5)  - 1m - 9:03
    6)  - 1m - 8:59
    7)  - 1m - 8:40
    8)  - 1m - 8:45
    9)  - 1m - 8:52
    10)  - 1m - 8:30
    11)  - 1m - 8:48
    12)  - 1m - 8:24
    13)  - 1m - 8:45
    14)  - 1m - 8:22
    15)  - 1m - 8:08
    16)  - 1m - 8:07

Later on I'll start to add some MP miles into the long runs and also do some progressive ones - starting with easy miles and gradually speeding up so finishing at MP.

On Tueday night past I did a quality session that looked like this:

1m - 8:28
    1m - 8:59   Inc Hill
    1m - 9:05cal   Inc Hill
    1m - 7:45
    STRIDES  (about 0.5m)
    2m - 7:06/m 
    90 secs recovery
    1m - 6:58/m
    90 secs recovery
    0.75m - 6:55/m
    90 secs recovery
    0.5m - 6:35/m
    90 secs recovery
    0.25m - 6:15/m
    90 secs recovery

1m c/d added

• Sounds like you had a lovely run seeing all that wildlife. Its always nice to run with someone else aswell, the miles just seem to disappear!

I havent been able to upload anything from my phone yet as I dont get all the little icons (smiley faces, bold letters, underlining etc) on my phone.

Thankyou ever so much for the paces above. Im going to write them down and attempt something similar. Im going to do a slow longish run today and then hopefully something similar to your Tuesday night session later in the week. It looks really good, I like challenging runs like that. I will let you know how I get on although im not sure when im going to fit it in yet, have a clinical meeting after work on tuesday until 21:30 and then im working late on wednesday until 21:00 (from 8:00)....hoping that netball training tomorrow gets cancelled (as we dont have a game until jan now), so I can fit another run in! image

• Sarah - Thanks for that. Yes I've got a pool, steamroom, and jacuzzi at my gym. So I'll just tell my OH that the Doc recommends I go to the gym today!

Minni - What, you only did that Tuesday progressive run once. Come on you've got to catch up with Chick doing 80m in Dec, before official mara scheds start.
  • Hey Folks

Chick: I'm guessing that you have gone metric on us and are talking about 80Kimage, if i'm wrong thats serious mileage.

Simon: Bet you don't do that again

Minni: Your FB pictures make in look far too cold to run

So after a day of lyng around hungover and sick, dragged myself to work today not feeling great but laced up the trainers at lunch for 9 miles at 7-20's, it didn't feel great but it didn't feel desperate either. I feel much better nowimage

Fridays splits show me that I went through half way in 45-12 and I had already had two walk breaks by then, the next 3 K up to 13K were desperate with a 7 min/K in there and then I settled down to run a steady MP to the end. I wasn't able to speak for most of yesterday so will accept I wasn't well and should have probably not raced. 

• Chick - 80 miles or Xmas cookies? Hmm... Cookies every time.image

Did my 12 in 1.39.17 this morning and it was lovely out there, cold but not too bad. Ran a local trail that is fairly flat out & back. Interestingly, had no K-tape on the knees and no calf guards and didn't get "funny feet"?image Physios... what do they know??image

Splits were:-

1) 8.20 (2) 8.01 (3) 8.24 (4) 8.17 (5) 8.15 (6) 8.17 (7) 8.16 (8) 8.23 (9) 8.16 (10) 8.14 (11) 8.14 (12) 8.21

Are these too fast for a slow run? 

• Oompa - No, perfect for F*rman sched! hehe.