RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Mr Z - Brilliant! As you say, the expressions make it!!!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Brolish wrote (see)
    Moraghan wrote (see)

Hello - I occasionally pop in here to see how much certain people are drinking!

imageYou can run, but you can't hide...image

Good job I'm on the wagon.

I agree that sleep is the best form of recovery.  Even if you don't manage 8 hours a night (I don't) so long as you get quality sleep it does the job.

I'm in the eating small and often camp.  I find that I just can't eat a huge meal now.  (Although I did stuff my face with the girls before the TM). 

Poor eating definitely reflects on training.  You only get out what you put in. 

• guilty as charged on the eating front image. Something to change in the New Year. That and jumping on the wagon image

• Morning all,

I need to catch up with the weekend's activities - been offline for a few days and as always the thread has gone whizzing by image

Welcome Shady - how far are you through the 24000 posts? image

Quite a busy running weekend for me - 17 miles on Saturday @ 8.15 average.  And then I did a slow 10 yesterday around Epsom Downs - undulating route, so took it very slow up the hills, relaxed on the downhills and just enjoying the run really. Total of 45 miles for the week.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Morning all

DD-what do you mean some of us 'are not exactly in the first flush of youth' Ive never felt younger....its a pity my body doesnt agree though. You are right about the cross training. I reckon that since starting tri training Ive done 3-5 hours extra training per week which running wise would have been between 21-35 miles on top of my average marathon training average of 50mpw .Obviously pootling along in the pool or free wheeling a bike down hill isnt the same but it all adds up and as a result this Autumn I PBd in my 10k HM and Marathon and 5k in a longer race . I cant say I avoided injury though interestingly my injury issues seem to have come from upping running from 60-75miles suddenly and changing running shoes and possibly not stretching enough.

Chick-only 50 miles !--slacking not allowed here

Thinking about what Moz says he is right about how running faster gets the mileage up. For VLR most of my LRs were done about 8.15 whereas for Liverpool they were about 7.55 of faster- 20 secs per mile soon adds up when you are doing a LR every 10 days and aMLR each week.Once those key runs are done you are well on your way to 50.

Mr Z - that runner doesnt seem impressed with the sign-if looks ccould kill! I bet a lot on this thread will be joining you with sore heads this month.

Sarah-run to and from Netball? Only a suggestion. You must be busy ---so many sick people at the moment-just look at this thread and a lot of it self induced.

Not sure about what to do today -10-12 on my own in the cold tonight or 4miles to the gym followed by a gym training session with mates.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni-funny you should mention food and sleep-Ive decided to make a deliberate effort of getting more sleep-no more late films like Pulp Fiction or Good Will Hunting etc and more protein .It appears I am at the age where muscle wasting occurs more easily so I may need to give that part of my body extra help.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free-another cross post-thought youd jumped ship to another place(sub3.15) so good to see you back and excellent running. You just shown how LRs notch up miles -27 in two runs .Good running

• I have tried eating 6 meals a day.  It would be perfect if you had a personal chef who tailed you, otherwise it gets old very quickly.  It's a good way of retraining any 'eat until you burst tendencies'.

I also tried it with alcohol but there never seem to be any gaps and it turns into one long session.

• 2Old : Talk for yourself, I don't freewheel down hill nor do I pootle around in the pool! In fact the swim sessions are the hardest sessions aerobically of the week. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Mor-if you run pushing a supermarket trolley you could run and eat all you want at the same time and run all day. Likewise with a beer barrel in the trolley...or for Minni-a wine vat.O4S would need off road wheels to be fitted and DD would have to have it made in carbon fibre with drop handlebars.

• I eat small and often although it sometimes drifts into big and often image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)

I have tried eating 6 meals a day.  It would be perfect if you had a personal chef who tailed you, otherwise it gets old very quickly.  It's a good way of retraining any 'eat until you burst tendencies'.

I also tried it with alcohol but there never seem to be any gaps and it turns into one long session.

You don't have to eat 6 corden bleu meals a day!

I tend to eat breakfast about 6am, lunch whenever and a meal at night but I graze constantly between which, means my meal at night is not that big.   I tend to eat fruit throughout the day and like to nibble on nuts but this isn't always a good thing because I can get though a 500g bag in no time, we're talking hours not days.

2Old - I have an app MyFitnessPal on iphone where I track everything I eat (you can also access it from your computer).  I use it to check the ratio of what I'm eating: carbs/protein/fat.  My protein tends to be a bit high and be carbs a bit low % wise.  I really need to work on eating more carbs.  

I try to go to bed early but I'm rarely in before 11 - 11.30 image and tend to start waking from about 5 onwards.

• 2old - I like that idea!

Minni - beans on toast is my cordon bleu.  I've never fancied the idea of nibbling on nuts.

• I suppose enquiring about eating so close to Xmas wasn't the best time to ask! I am making a consertive effort to move to 5 meals, but my body is fighting it. My other half gets those Graze boxes, so I've signed up to try them out. It doesn't help that my work seems to have a charity cake sale every day (impressed I've fought the urge more times than not!)

Sarah - do you find your netball affects your running? I have played squash a few times (instead of running) after doing the Athens marathon. But I'm going to stop it, as it's definitely not going to have a good effect when I start increasing my mileage.

Just another 23,700 posts to go and I'll be up to speed with you all!

• ShadyA- welcome!

Minni- you track everything you eat??? Damn it sounds like hard work.image

I don't pay much attention to what I eat to be honest.  I mean I don't tend to eat crap and am not bothered with sweets but other than that just eat three times a day and have some fruit in between. Not much grazing happening either. I do however have a very healthy appetite which is part of the reason why I like high mileage.  Seems like as soon as I hit 60+ mpw the weight just falls off and I can get away with murder.image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Bro- If you are greedy like me a record will help shame me into eating less and better .I tend to find that I need the LRs to lose weight and high mileage often causes me to lose appetite so I have to force myself to eat.

Just bought a load of swim gear-fins paddles etc and I only went to get calf compression guards.I suppose I will have to swim as well as run next year.

• 2old wrote (see)

Free-another cross post-thought youd jumped ship to another place(sub3.15) so good to see you back and excellent running. You just shown how LRs notch up miles -27 in two runs .Good running

I dabble in the 3.15 but this is my home image

5 easy miles d&d. I was listening to the interview on last week's MT, with Chris Fulcher - previously 18 stone drug addict, no running or exercise....7 years later, aged 45, clean, a lot lighter and has a 2.48 marathon PB image Very inspiring. Makes me think about joining minni and others on the wagon...

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Brolish - hell no!  Only the healthy stuff!  image   Once the app is set up its really easy to use.  Also, it has a barcode scanner on so you can play supermarkets at the same time! image

I don't use it all the time but rather for 'spot checks'.  I'll do it for a week or so at the time just out of interest. 

I'm enjoying being on the wagon.  I did drink a bottle of wine on Friday night but it was only one, and the only one I've had in about 3 weeks.

I'm nibbling on seeds rather than nuts this afternoon.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Freemers wrote (see)

I dabble in the 3.15 but this is my home image

5 easy miles d&d. I was listening to the interview on last week's MT, with Chris Fulcher - previously 18 stone drug addict, no running or exercise....7 years later, aged 45, clean, a lot lighter and has a 2.48 marathon PB image Very inspiring. Makes me think about joining minni and others on the wagon...

Freemers - didn't you say the complete opposite on the 3;15 thread (ie. you dabble on the 3;30 but......image

Anyhow, I too am on the wagon. Find, at my age, I can't drink and run. Haven't had a drink in December - which is amazing (and possible a little sad)image

That sounds an inspiring story - will take a look!

• Minni- phew, you got me worried there!

I'm with you on the wagon, no hangover since the recovery week.image Just need to stock up on berocca and recovery drinks now.image

• What's all this wagon talk image This is the Team Minni thread! 

Spot of quad DOMS today after the XC. I guess its all those darn hills they like getting us to run up and down. 4 mile recovery today, I have 38 miles scheduled for this week along with my sub 20 attempt on Saturday.

• Ok team, I just heard on the radio this morning the toughest -athlon you'll ever have to do, are you up for the challenge.........A Dryathlon..No alcohol for the whole of January in aid of some cancer charity apparently...Minni you've got no chanceimage lol

• Hi 2old I really wish I could but I play 20 miles away from where I work/live otherwise it would have been perfect. I get to warm up by running up and down the courts doing drills and I play C so i get to run around like an idiot alot anyway. Im a bit like a dog...im happy playing centre as i get to run around all the time, but put me in any other position and im miserable as you end up standing around getting cold!

Ive got to say, I dont mind the patients that come in with the self induced injuries (if its from doing sports) as I can relate to them....I get more frustrated with those who say they dont have time to exercise or cant exercise.

Minni ive that app to, my OH put it on my phone about a month ago, i love it, its so addictive, especially the scanning barcodes bit. Im always surprised to see how little calcium I have and iron. Its made me much more aware of my diet and what its made up of. Im a bit of a grazer. I tend to eats 10+ fruit and veg a day so carb intake is good. My fat is around 20% or less over the week and protein around 14% most weeks. The app has put me off a few drinks - mulled wine and baileys have so many hidden calories! image

Shady I stopped playing netball before london as I was worried about getting injured and I needed to concentrate on getting the milage in after having a month of training with illness. I think the cross training may help to some degree as long as your getting enough runs in and you dont get injured, which is more likely to happen with all the stopping and starting. If I get through to the final 5 I will have to see what the ASICS team say image

• Im in Simon if anyone else is??

• Simon Santa Claus wrote (see)

Ok team, I just heard on the radio this morning the toughest -athlon you'll ever have to do, are you up for the challenge.........A Dryathlon..No alcohol for the whole of January in aid of some cancer charity apparently...Minni you've got no chanceimage lol

simon - that's become an annual tradition in our family - we've done it for the last 6  or 7 years - it's a nice way to start the year!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free- to go sub 3 like he did you have to go on drugs and fatten up etc before you go on the wagon, so you'd better get cracking. Good to see doing a popular 5 again

Simon-Sorry no chance-its my Birthday in Jan , then there is the apres ski.Doomed to fail

Minni-Im not on the wagon but have drunk less than that to now since Friday-dont mention the previous week!

Ant-impressed by all your XC exploits-you will feel the benefit when the season is over with all that extra power in your legs

• Simon- would love to join in but apres ski is awaiting me in Jan.imageimage

• I don't really think about what I eat or drink, vaguely try to be healthy but not about to turn down a piece of chocolate cake in case it adds 5 secs to my 100 mile time [and that is just the time to eat it!!].  No family gatherings over Christmas / office parties or similar so don't drink any more that at any other time of the year -  don't see the point of going on the wagon in January [why not June or October?].  Actually I don't see any point of going on the wagon at all, which might explain why I have never cracked 3.30 for a marathon.  Trying to persuade myself that going for a club tempo run in sub zero temperatures, the day after a half marathon, is a really good idea image

• Skiing in January so no chance, wine is free with dinner. Broke my record for the long 8K lap of the park tonight, another 12 seconds gone, last 5K all sub 4 min/K's so happy