RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Simon- I've got some slack. Family commitments mean I can't run on 25th and I asked for no quality on 26th. I'm sure however he'll find a way to make up for it...image
  • Becs/Simon, you can't beat a good commuter cycle race!

Love the panda, Mr Z! I await the latest tapir with anticipation...

Well done to everyone getting in good sessions over the last couple of days - running or drinking! Rubbish run for me today - 15.3 very slow soul-destroying HADD miles @ 9:19 @ 147bpm - my worst pace/HR since March image Hope I can get my running legs back soon. Still being troubled a bit by my football injury too - not really a groin strain, more lower abdominal (quick google diagnosis suggests sports hernia - you can't beat a google diagnosis to make you think you've got something terribly wrong with you!)

On the plus side, we've just booked a short break to Dubrovnik in February, sorted ski holiday in Val Thorens at Easter, and got a couple more gig bookings for the duo today (including one in your neck of the woods Spoons!) - and I'm just about to finish work for Christmas! image So everything's great, apart from running.

Happy birthday Sarah! image

• Thanks everyone, iv had a pretty quiet bday, ran 14 miles this am, then went out for a meal and then to the pantomime, just havin a couple of drinks now....not up to the same standards as Minni! Going to have a bigger night tomorrow when my friends are coming over to stay!

It's always good when your boss is more hungover than you minni!

Just wondering, if you had done a 14m LSR today would you rest tomorrow or attempt a park run in the morning? I'm really wanting to do one but they keep clashing with everything!
  • Morning

Some impressive hangovers out there.

Back from 33.5K across the gravel tracks (20.7 miles in English!) in 2 hour 42 mins, second half was at 7-30 min / miles. So pretty well on track FO Dubai marathon.
  • Where and when you playing Daren? I might come along and heckle.

glad to see the Xmas parties all went well.....

I flew back from Edinburgh yesterday morning, did a quick 4 mile run, then jumped in the car and drive to London. Am now at my Mum's for an early Xmas with my son. Neither of us can sleep so I'm on ipad on the forums and he's on iPhone playing Skylanders!

• Minni - what was the link? Doesn't work on ios image

• Sarah - glad you had a nice day.

DD- nice long run. Tiptop condition. Is it 3 weeks to go?

Bro - great intervals. I feel sick at the thought of that session!

I have had a rubbish nights sleep...it's gonna be a long day. Might try and get a few miles in in the pouring rain early doors then forget about itimage
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Morning all

My head hurts

Bro- great interval session. Wish I'd done them rather than spend a day at the bar

Sarah- nice 14 mile LSR- I think you'll be fine doing the park run

DD- looking good for that marathon after that excellent LSR

Darren - strange how you are struggling. I'm sure all will fall back into place soon. Looks like you've got lots to look forward to in the next few months.

Simon- never knew there s a commuter racing sub culture. How do you know if someone is doing it- what do you look for?

Minni- my link doesn't work either. Hope you are feeling better after the party

AA- that will be a good way to clear the head

MrZ- you knew that run wasn't going to happen didn't you

Hoping I survive the day myself
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Maybe just as well the link doesn't work!

• 2old/Becs/Daren - Here's some info..

For more about the world of Silly Commuter Racing, go to www.itsnotarace.org. This site has links to the BikeRadar thread, SCR Facebook page and Twitter. Itsnotarace also has a Food Chain Calculator, so you can work out your own cycling food number, or CFN.

It's all taken with a pinch of salt, but you can race anyone. When I used to do my long commutes in the summer, there wasn't too much competition at 4amimage

• Haha love the link Simon. Not so sure about Minni 's link!

Spoons, gig is at giovanni's on sat jan 12th.
  • Andy/DD -  Good pace on your long one.

Brol - Nice(tough) session down at the track.

My first Parkrun this morning, not sure what to expect as not raced 5k since Jul 2010(19:34 PB),  wet and windy morning with lots of deep puddles, course was OK pretty flat.  Wanted sub 20 but ended up with 20:16, have n't done any speedwork since back in early October as part of mara training,   which would explain lack of speed but I ran a 40:08 10k mid November.image Planning to do next Saturday's with not a lot of running during the week so be interesting to see if this weeks doubles have had an effect.

• Sarah- did you make it to the parkrun?

Barry- very good time in my books and no doubt you will improve it next week.

Minni- I need to check the link from a pc. Are you partying again tonight?

Daren- sorry to hear its not going great on the running front. Have you had your injury checked out properly?

2Old- happy hangover!

Lazy day for me. Will pop out for a little plod later.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Barry - 5k is a killer distance and I bet you're faster next time when it's not such a shock to the system. Pretty good marker for now I'd say.

Sarah - do you get out? You should be fine doing your long run tomorrow.

I did hill reps before it was light this morning and before the rain started, thank goodness. The instruction was 7 x 300m hill slowly concentrating on form. Took quite a bit of concentration, my head hurt.

How much attention do people pay to form when running? I know that I hold my shoulders and arms too high compared to what would be classed as 'ideal' but that's what feels comfortable. Do you think it makes that much of a difference?
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Last year I must managed running 2011 miles so the target for this year was 2012. Just had a count up and I'm on 2039 and still a week to go. image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Feeling better now . Hope to get a spell on the TM later .

Minni- good hill reps. Yes I'm thinking about form too particularly as I start to get fatigued in a run. Not sure I'm doing it right but I'm particularly thinking if staying relaxed. It's interesting how I start clenching my hands without being aware of it and then that tension creeps up into my shoulders etc

Barry- not ideal conditions to do a 5 k so don't worry about the time. It was pretty. fast anyway.
  • excellent miles, Minni! Well done getting the hillwork in early. Not sure if running form makes such a big difference. I'd say if it feels comfy it's alright.

Bro: great speedwork image  I had a plan for speedwork too. Then the blizzard came. Yep, snowed in again and it's a friggin' storm out there image.
    Did 11 offroady miles instead. Completely frozen to the core. Needed a bath to thaw out. My face is glowing and I look like Rudy with me red nose!

Love the Panda pic. How cute is he??

BarryB: great 5k time, bet it blew the cobwebs away.

Daren: it'll come back, don't worry.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Minni-very impressive mileage. Wonder what Chick Bro and Free have logged. 04S will have run to the moon and back a few times . I'm on 1960, the most ever for me and with luck I will break 2000. Last year was a massive 767 . .. The long road back from injury.
  • Chick- brrr... Well deserved hot bath I think even Shaggy would let you offimage

2Old- fetch is telling me its 2670 for this year.

Minni- nice hills. I'm not sure how much the form matters. I know a few runners who have a horrible but effective style.
  • 5m plod done @ 8:30. Wet and very mild out there.
  • 2186 miles here, so nowhere near Bro !!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Bro- just as I thought ... Lots and lots

Chick- you too well done and hope you warm up after that chilly one

I'm not bothering with the TM
  • My mileage is rubbish this year image

• P&d arrived today!

I decided to ask my parents advice last night about the park run and they both said rest today and go tomorrow instead, so I decided to have a lye in instead....itching to go running now though, so wish I had just got up and done it after reading your posts this morning saying that it would have been ok.

Going to have to go on my PC to try that link of yours now Minni, I'm curious!
  • I've never counted the number of miles I've done over a year, can't believe that alot of you have managed over 2000, really impressive.

Minni, I've noticed that my arms ache when I run on the treadmill and not when I'm out doors....think it's down to me holding my arms up higher when I'm on the treadmill so they don't hit the sides and because I tend use them less!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lol! Apologies in advance! And don't let your parents see!!!
  • Spoons - I bet your mileage isn't as low as mineimage. Checking my garmin connect log, which doesn't incl. any TM sessions, factoring that in, I'm still only about 700-750m. I must be saving myself for something image.

• I haven't uploaded to Fetch for a bit but mine will be around 1600 - 1650.

But - 800 of those miles were done in Jan - April which means I've averaged 100 miles per month for the last 8 months.

bugger imageimage

• And I've put on a pound a month as well image