RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• AA: i start 0755 so am going to spend race looking over my shoulder!

• 2Old- some very nice splits there. It's the Run to the Beat Half in Greenwich.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free- I found it hot too but at least we got our runs done.Im impatient-Iwant my endurance back!image

Oomp-Who said Im pain free its just that its manageable now and I can run with it. Im a puppy like you not that you see many 50+ yrs puppies

AA-pity I wanted to watch your swimmimg line to see how straight you were.At least its not like swimming from Cuba to Florida-100miles plus at 3mph.

DD-I suppose the strength of the current depends on the tide. Some of my sea swims on my hols were against the tide-like swimming in glue but then swimming  with the tide felt like being jet propelled

• Survived another three days, 7,300 ft yesterday and a trivial 5,300 today. Clear blue skies and sun, but steaming hot. Short day tomorrow - officially the rest day with 40 miles and 4,200 ft of ascent image

struggling to keep up, but hope all goes well Oompa and AA wrap yourself in cotton wool.

Simon will post a full list of cols when we get reliable wi-fi

I now strongly resemble a banana in a baguette!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S - sounds fun... Not. Hope you're carb loading with meals the size of the mountains you are climbing ... Not to mention the buckets of vin rouge 

• Red - Sounds like you have a lot going on at the mo, both good and bad ,sometimes running has got to take a back seat,  always good though to get out running for a break.

Freemers - Nice speedy reps, and well done for getting out in the heat today.

AA - I thought you would be going for it Sunday, I would have been the same. Fingers crossed it goes well and you nail it.

Carrot -  Encouraging news on the calf.

Brol - Good effort on the 10K,  keep doing repeats like you did today and you will get quicker. Target for the HM?

2old -  Thought you were running easy today, anything with a 6.xx in this heat is not running easyimage.

5 miles easy in the sunshine this afternoon, new pair of shoes to break in.  Legs felt a little heavy, may have to take it easy til Saturday, Pinklady is doing her first parkrun so I'm going along, our first race together. Everytime I have done the local parkrun, only 3 times and it was winter, it has been raining and windy, hoping for decent conditions this time.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- maybe not a good idea running that fast at the moment but the temptation was too great as I was trying out my new running shoes. The short runs always seem tough at this stage. Are you doing another 20 before the taper Or is the 5k part of your last one?

• Good luck with the op Oompa, it'll be good when you can start running again image

You're getting quicker Bro, keep knocking those chunks off!  The intervals sound hard work.  Easy running now until Sunday?

Banana sandwiches - top fuel O4S!

So, Henley HIM this weekend, Run to the Beat HM, a parkrun debut, anyone else?  I'm racing everyone's favourite distance - 10K! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Its going to be an exciting weekend on the thread.  I'm exhausted just thinking about it. image

• Apologies for the absence. I've been getting married then on holiday image.

AA, fantastic result on your sprint. (((()))) for the PF problems. Understand why you've decided to do the HIM. Try to stick nearer the bank (although don't follow it completely, it's not straight) when swimming against the stream to stay out of it as far as possible and hope it stays dry for the next few days as rainwater coming down the river makes the stream stronger. Good luck to you and DD.

Good luck as well to Brol and Pinklady in their respective races plus anyone else racing. Barry, are you racing or pacing/supporting?

Congrats on the 5k PB kfc.

Congrats on surviving O4S!

Oompa, hope all goes well with the operation.

Red, you've got a lot on your plate at the moment, I'm not surprised running can't be a priority. Hope some of the not so good stuff gets better for you.

2Old, that's rubbish about your bike. I've had a few not so good bikes nicked and that's been frustrating enough.

Simon, good to see that you're back running even if it's S&S. It's the first step.

SS, you sound far more organised than I was. What surprised me though were all the little things that kept cropping up when I thought we were pretty much there. E.g. OH suddenly saying we needed to do favours at the 11th hour.

I'm feeling a bit frustrated at the moment. Knees better than before I went, but still getting some clicking and pain sometimes when cycling (not all journeys though). I've also lost what little fitness I'd built up through this latest setback. I'm just fed up as I was building up sooooo slowly to avoid precisely this happening. I basically need to build up my strength a lot more. Currently trying to sort out my gym membership to help make that happen and even then I think it's going to be a long term project. Probably going to continues to mainly lurk and post sporadically until I'm actually able to do something resembling training.

• Becs - congratulations on the wedding image feel for you with your ongoing injury big time. But stay with us. It will help motivate you. It certainly does me. 

Carrot - you love racing at the moment!!! A 10k this weekend image the very best of luck with that. 

Pink - good luck with your first parkrun. Which one are you going to do?

o4S - so pleased  you're surviving the mountains. Sounds so bloody tough!! are you also cycling all the way home again? (silly question really image)

i can't sleep...been awake since 2, having a slight panic about the river swim start image

• Becs - congrats! image

I did nothing last night image too busy image

• AA: too early to panic yet

Becs: congrats

Carrot: 10K, luv em. 

Will do club run tonight, then nowt until Sunday. Need to put bike into tri mode and dig out my kit today, havent seen it since we got back but it must be here somewhere.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA-this is not the time to panic-sleep ,sleep and sleep.Anyway the river will make it easy for you one way at least

DD-very organised

Spoons-no reason why a marriage should stop you image. Congrats. As a fellow walkimg wonded fingers crossed for a quick recovery

Legs a bit stiff from yestrday but hope to do something this evening

• O4S - "Banana in a baguette"??? Hope you're enjoying it?image

AA - Don't fret, you'll be fine.image

Becs - I think that you should apologise... Fancy getting hitched!!!image Congratulations.image If your knees are clicking, get an MRI because it sounds exactly the same as my symptoms... Can't ride a bike without clicking/locking etc...

I've just come round from the op/anaesthetic so if I'm talking bol**cks, I apologise. I think that the op went well... I don't appear to have my gonads grafted onto my forehead! image Meal was excellent... Chicken Caesar salad followed by ice cream. Must do this again soon... Oh, I forgot... I will be doing this again soon!image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Oompa - I had a day in hopital last month and it was lush.  Everyone was nice to me and I got tea and toast in bed.  Quite jealous you're getting two shots.  image  fingers crossed it works. image

Becs - check its not the bike that causing your problems.  I discovered it was the bike that was causing a lot of my hip and groin pain.

• AA yeah I've done a good few races since VLM, no wonder my legs are stuffed! Relax about the swim, you've done plenty of open water races (was Big Dog not a chaotic mass start?)

Congratulations on the wedding Becs, when was that? 

Hope you manage to find the tri kit DD.

Chicken caeser salad Oompa? Private hospital? Love how your priority when you come round (after the forehead check) is logging onto here!

• Woo more thread getting hitched - congrats.

Red - yeah it was in Trent Park, so hills abound. I definitiely think sub 20 is finally in reach. Sorry to hear about your dad and job hassles, but new nipper is always good.

Oompa - good to hear the op is done - hope it all heals nicely. I am no fan of hospitals. 

Best of luck to the racers this weekend. I have a 10K myself on Saturday (!), but am feeling under the weather today for no obvious reason, so I seriously hope that clears up. Have been doing a lot of swimming recently so may just have water stuck in sinuses/ears. Despite that, I am totally loving the swimming. Am probably going to do an aquathlon on Tuesday as well.

• 2old - Was potentially planning the Parkrun as part of a longer one but have been in denial of a sore left calf for the past week.  Nothing serious and can run on it but getting very tight, been icing regularly but if not feeling right on Saturday will put my sensible head on, bigger picture and all that.

Becs - Congrats. If I don't race it I will support OH, I don't think pacing would work out too well, could see a domestic breaking out, so I will be giving "gentle" encouragement from the sidelines.

• Becs- Congrats image

i had planned to cycle into work tomorrow, but the forecast isn't too good so decided to swop it to today, BAD decision . I was about 22miles into my ride, when I came across some roadworks that had closed the road, except for a temporary footpath round the side of it, It was fenced off, unlit and still pitch black. Well 1 minute I was cycling along, the next I was on the deck in agony. So after picking myself up and steming the blood from my nose and cheek, I saw the reason. Some scally kids had tied some rope across the path at about 5ft. I caught it across the bridge of my nose, luckily I was wearing some clear cycling glasses, so no damage to my eyes, but if had caught me across the throat, it could of been a lot worse. Anyway apart from the facial cuts/bruises the main damage is to my right shoulder where I hit the deck. Luckily not broken or dislocated, but badly displaced. I phoned International Rescue (my OH ), to come and get my, and took my to A&E back home, I didn't fancy leaving my bike where I was if I called 999.  So even less running, cycling for a few weeks, and no work cus I can't drive, with my arm in a sling. Will I go mad watching daytime tv, probably image.

• Simon - Oh no! Bet you'd like to catch the little shites? image As you said though, it could've been much worse and look on the bright side... We can compare notes re daytime tv!!!image

Carrot - It is a private hospital that I've somehow managed to get into on the NHS... Super blagger or what! image With regards to posting in the recovery room... As I've said to the OH many times... You have to get your priorities straight!image

• Carrot I had a lovely day off thank you - spent it with my two daughters visiting my parents in home county of Warwickshire.

Becs Lovely news & Many congratulations & I hope you both will be very happy! imageimage

2old Decent lunchtime run - now the mornings are darker will start considering a run at lunchtime rather than after work!

Oompa  good luck with the recovery - tea & toast was what they gave me after my op & home after two hours to recover from the general anaesthetic!

AA I wouldn't worry too much as you will do well at the weekend. Its the Swindon parkrun & i'm a bit nervous about it to be honest!

simon62w That's awful & dangerous. But as you say it could have been a lot worse. Daytime TV is not too bad & it's amazing how you start to get into the most ridiculous programmes!

Ran 4 miles this morning with one at 9mm so really pleased with that. No running tomorrow as back to swimming training. Parkrun Saturday, not sure if I would want Barry pacing me as wouldn't want to hold him back but i'm sure if he doesn't run I will hear him from the sidelines! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Simon - you poor thing. That sounds awful. Hope you make a speedy recovery. 

Ant - hope you feel better for the race. 

Barry - take care of that calf. Compression socks, ice, rolling etc. a couple of days rest will do you more good that harm.   

Pinklady - what's the target for the weekend? 

Carrot - are you racing the 10k? 

AA - foot still feeling ok? 

• Jeez Simon - that is so unbelievably out of order. Hope you heal up ok. 

Barry - arrgh, cotton wool time. No running at all is probably best. You have got so much training in the bank already

• Pinklady - So which are your favs, please not Jeremy Kyleimage. I'll be tuning into Jessica at Cabot cove daily. Oh shit I do that already image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- The toerags!!!! Cycling is dangerous enough without that. Pity you didn't report it to the police as you might have been able to make a CICA claim for those nasty injuries. Anyway at least you can enjoy daytime tv. Hollywood wives is the favourite in our house. It wasn't in Kirkby? I ran down a similar road there tonight and after answering a kids polite question of how far I'd run so far- 10.5 miles he shouted 'you fookin liar" charming 

Ant- any of your swimming in open water? Our local ones have closed now ...pity it's not as cold as it was in April when our started but it is getting darker in the evening. I found I got bored with swimming after about a mile unless I was doing intervals in a group session

Pink - nice run ...are you swimming for tris too?

Minni- whats your plan from now until GNR?

Barry - very wise to be cautious. Wasnt it your calf that gave you problems in the past?

decided to get out and try a LSR tonight as conditions seemed perfect. No set plan but just kept going for 20miles . It got a bit untidy at the end but overall 8.07mm average. Legs and achilles feel battered as they should ....first 20 since March 

• 2old - No, not scoose scallys, Ashton in Makerfield scallys lol

• Simon, what a nightmare. There are some stupid dangerous idiots in the world and it makes me cross when they take out other people. Hope you recover quickly. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- it's not safe to go out on any of the roads round here 

• Simon - wah at a nightmare. Hope you recover soon

pink - good luck tomorrow. 

Barry - don't take any risks. 

Minni - is GNR 2 weeks on Sunday? Are you tapering for it?

i had physio on my foot again yesterday. It's actually feeling the best it's felt for a while. I'm doing all the right things.i think I'm going to have to cut down on the anti inflammatorys tomorrow though as they're beginning to affect my tummy image  Fingers crossed it will hold out. Just hope the rain isn't too heavy as predicted today As I don't know what effect that will have on the river on Sunday!