RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• Well done TP, Soupy, Min and Min's sister image

(I'm still lurking)

I did 8 miles this morning @ 11.27 average pace which i'm mighty pleased with image

Last time i took my resting HR it was 37, perhaps i should recheck it...........!
  • DLDL ✭✭✭

Oooh hill sessions, regimented adherence to plans, sister and leks that fart and heart rates that show you're all nearly comatose - you can tell it's the end of the week

I have worked my way through a box of tissues, my eyes are swollen from watering so much and I have a tickly cough - so still haven't plodded. Is it still best not to run or should I get out and do a few slow miles. Am due to do 18 on Sunday - if I'm feeleing any better should I attempt it or take it down a notch????

Really frustrated as I have been trying to stick to the plan and this week has been a disaster

any advice welcomed - ta

• Julia - 37!!!! image  image  Bet that scares some medics if you've ever had a hospital visit. image   Well done on your 8 miles. 
  • DL - what's your heart rate telling you? image

Podds general rule number 2: best miss a week now than a month down the line

Podds general rule number 3: symptoms above the neck gentle run ok if you feel like it, symptoms below neck best not to

Personally if I were you and was as rough as you (image you know what I mean!!) there is no way I would consider 18 on Sunday.........even if I felt I'd made a miraculous recovery in the next 36 hours I still probably wouldn't do more than 10 max..............

• Podds: feel the fear do it anyway wrote (see)

DL - what's your heart rate telling you? image

Podds general rule number 2: best miss a week now than a month down the line

Podds general rule number 3: symptoms above the neck gentle run ok if you feel like it, symptoms below neck best not to

Personally if I were you and was as rough as you (image you know what I mean!!) there is no way I would consider 18 on Sunday.........even if I felt I'd made a miraculous recovery in the next 36 hours I still probably wouldn't do more than 10 max..............

+1 

DL - you are way ahead of the rest of us so there is really nothing to worry about missing an 18 miler.  You've got loads of time to get plenty of longer runs in.  Better to rest or drop back and get your strength back so you can then do the 18 miler justice rather than struggling round for the sake of it. 

• I just popped in to jeer at Soupy but ???

Cough, cold, snot etc = low immune system (+ 18 miles) = more enforced rest to recover.
    Take time off to get better + better immune system = more miles and smiles later image 

• Haha!!  Got you Nicko! image  See, I'm working hard.  image image   I've got a lot of chocolate to run off from Christmas. image

So you'd better take your jeering elsewhere cos we are determined aferletes here.   But you can jeer me at the Vit cos I've not done much of that swimming and biking stuff.  But loads of time yet, isn't there????

DL - looks like its a restful weekend for you. 

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Morning image

Breakfast anyone?

Ready to run in an hour, chop, chop !! image

• Windy Spencehttp://www.justgiving.com/AnnDoesItAgain wrote (see)

Morning image

Breakfast anyone?

Ready to run in an hour, chop, chop !! image

<splutter!!>  I've just got up!  I'm still in my jymjams!!  (even later than ususal today, oh dear look at the time). image 
  • I'm still in bed!  Chucking it down out there and I am warm and cosy here.  Howling gale last night and there must have been a few power blips as I heard the answering machine reset itself at least 3 times.  I hope it's a bit drier for my 14 tomorrow image
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

10.3 d&d av pace 11.38.

I was at the 15 mile LSR this time last year image I'm trying not to think about it, image  Or get into a panic about it. Which I could do very easily.

• Been up to the post office to pick up my latest toy - a foot pod for speed and distance. image Took a while to get it working (helps to put the battery in the right way up) and just done a few laps of the local track to test it out and calibrate.  Seems to work quite well.  Had the loo problem after 3 miles and had half a mile back home so had to resort to the patented Tickled Pink buttock clenching waddle.  If I went faster the urge got stronger but to go slower meant hanging on longer so in the end I did a dash..........made it!! image

Tickled - get out of bed!!!

• I'm doing the Wokingham HM tomorrow which is going to be a really good test of how my training is going.  And for that reason I'm starting to feel rather nervous. I plan to go slow for the first couple of miles, then step up to marathon pace for the next 5 or 6 miles and then if I can crank up the pace a bit more for the last 5 miles I will.  If I have to crank down then I've got my marathon pace all wrong. image

I hope the forcast for heavy rain and strong winds is wrong but the hail stones banging against my window don't make me very hopeful. Fingers crossed.

• fingers and toes crossed for you Soupy

and pompoms on turbocharge image

• Soup - This says 'light rain' for tomorrow

Nicko. wrote (see)
    I just popped in to jeer at Soupy but ???

Shall I assume jeerings directed at me too? image

• Good luck tomorrow Soup
  • Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I'll do my best.  Turbo charged pom poms sounds good.

That weather looks a little bit better Schmunks so lets just hope that its dry while we wait at the start.  I've charged my phone up but in usual techno numpty style it hasn't got any credit on it.  I'll see you at the back of the start line if not before.  Weather permiting I'll wait for you at the finish line unless you speed ahead of me, or failing that I'll be going for a massage afterward.  Will the family be with you for your birthday??

Here we go - and its the first half mara I've done for almost a year.  Last one was Reading last March which took me 2hrs 36 or something.

Bring it on.  imageimage

• Good luck Soupy - will think of you as I'm out marshalling...... image Hope the weather is kind to both of us image
  • ooooo - wrap up warm Podds.  I'd rather be running.  I will be sure to thank all the marshalls tomorrow. 

• Soup - according to the 24-hour forecast it's supposed to be light rain from mid-day onwards, so I know i am gonna get damp image.  I will have my phone on me until I hand my bag in. 

I am coming on my own imageimage

Please don't feel obliged to wait for me (unless you have a mahoosive cream cake with candles on itimage).  My best HM time is 2:45 (I think) and that was on the back of training in Sept.  Training this time has not gone so well due to being lurgified twice since the start of the year.  Am treating it as a training/strategy run now.  If I can get to 9 miles at my slow pace I will be happy image.

Am no longer visiting the WHM thread cos of the times they are all looking for image.  Some of 'em could run it twice before I finish image

• Good luck Soupy  !!
    Windy Spencehttp://www.justgiving.com/AnnDoesItAgain wrote (see)

10.3 d&d av pace 11.38.

I was at the 15 mile LSR this time last year image I'm trying not to think about it, image  Or get into a panic about it. Which I could do very easily.

Last year you were ahead and panicking and this year you are about right and panicking ......  chill woman  image
  • Schmunks - I did this race about 3 years ago and I remember getting to mile 3 and seeing the lead runners heading back for the finish!  It does attract a fast field.   I will try and meet up with you tomorrow come what may.  Good luck. image 

• It's summat to do with some Champs.  I have checked the final finisher for last year and am hoping to be back before then.  Never run with such a small field of runners so it's a bit image for me, but I shall plod my little race and take what I can from it

Good luck to you too!  And Nick L if he is lurking

• Good luck Soupie and Schmunkee!

(still lurking image )
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

imageimageimageimageGO GO SOUPY & SCHMUNKEEimageimageimageimageimage

M...eldy wrote (see)
    Last year you were ahead and panicking and this year you are about right and panicking ......  chill woman  image

ahhh right so I was image image

• 2hrs 34 mins (about).  I forgot to press start on my watch till half a mile in.   Strong wind and drizzly rain on not a very inspiring course which was very lonely at times at the back of the field.  My foot pod was measuring over distance which made my pace/mile record quicker than it was which threw me a bit so I concentrated on HR and how I felt.  First 2 miles easy pace (HR 145), picked up to planned MP which turned out at 12.2 min/miles (HR 149) then picked up the pace for the last 4 miles (HR 155; 11:30min/miles) and kept that going to the end.  Stopped at mile 3 to applaud the lead runner heading back and bowed in homage to him.   Have to say, not my favourite half marathon.  Not much atmosphere but the weather probably didn't help.  My "training effect" measure on my monitor came out at 4.1 (out of 5) so I've worked quite hard.  My training long runs tend to come out at 3.8. 

Hows everyone else doing? 

DL - are you feeling any better?

Spence - its too early to wibble!!

• DL - stay off the running. Recover in full first.

Soupy - excellent - didn't get to log in yesterday so didn't know you were doing a HM, sorry. Am a bit rubbish at weekends at getting internet access. Sounds like you ran an excellently thought out half though - and to target. Well done that Soupy! image

• Hey well done that Dragon imageimage

14 miles slogged for me in chucking rain and a gale which seemed to be in my face whichever way I was running (how does wind do that?).  Major tummy troubles again at about a mile in this time .... it was an offroad country route so let's just say that I released my inner bear when I found a small wooded area image.  I need to get this sorted out.  I guess it's bulk buying immodium.

Misjudged distance and had to run past the road home at 11.5 miles so slogged on another mile and back to the turnoff which was just bloody miserable.  Got home in 2.47 which was a couple of minutes over the 2.45 I'd mentally set myself but a minute under the 2.48 for 12 mm.  I have a blister on one of my toes as my feet were soaking from about 3 miles in but I quite often have to tape that toe so guess I need to start doing that again.

Week 7 done .... 9 to go ..... feels like it's getting harder .... I need to HTFU and stop whinging .... but first I will eat this creme egg image

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

well done Soupy & TPimage 'orrible in this weather !

Soupy, it's never too early to wibble image I'm always wibbling, tis what I do best !! image but I kinda need to wibble cos it's what gets me out doing it, if you get my meaning!!image