Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Thanks Razor. Am jealous of your 22 miles and your new trainers. I bought a Nike baselayer (that doesn't look much like a baselayer) for £10 yesterday, but it isn't as exciting as new trainers!

Full steam ahead on the lemsips...
  • Evening

Ouch Jevans! - Sounds a rough ride. Ummm, does it help that I shall learn from your example and think I'd better learn how to change a tyre and make sure I take the stuff with me!

Ginger - your tip sounds painful! But yes, I can see how that would also be really painful.

Razor - Nice bike riding image

I'm too sore after yesterday and too few hours sleep last night due to a feverish Smidge in my bed. So I decided to give it a miss. Will be back into it tomorrow.

My big girl is 8. She is the one who got me into running. She is very highly strung and in most things will crumble like a biscuit when under pressure of something that she is not sure about. However, she really is an excellent runner and that has built up her self-confidence no end. Why do i hesitate to let her do tri? Cos she is already running 5k Parkrun every other week and I don't want to push her too much. Even though I am not a pushy parent and this is definitely her desire.

Then there is the training issue. She doesn't have swimming lessons because we simply can't afford the London prices of £82 a term (we have 4 kids). Our local pool is very family unfriendly and the public times are weird. So improving her swimming will be a bit of a chalenge. And then there is fitting in her training (cos of course she is too young to go out on her own) when i'm struggling to do mine! (On top of three other children a part time job and voluntary work)

Sorry, a bit of a ramble. I just have to get my head round the practicalites. I don't know any other kids who do tri's. Anyone got any tips?

• I'm getting some new trainers on Friday image hoping it will give me a lift.

My training went pear shaped when I got a call from friend midday, he had some spare VIP tickets to watch the Tigers (Leicester Tigers Rugby Team) which I couldn't turn down image but ment missing out on my planned bike/run brick session and a swim with Tri club. Tigers won and are through in Heineken cup Quarters imageimage will do session tomorrow (brick session) image
  • Hi Chillibean

I to have 4 kids and my oldest is 11 year old girl who does Dancing which cost loads £60+ month 9 year old Boy football and rugby 5 year old boy football and gymnastics and a 3 year old girl Dancing to. So I feel your pain lol

Training for your 8 year old to be honest at this stage I would look to see if you can find any events for her first. Then plan around them, you take on roll as coach for now and take her out and do some small runs with her (I do speed training with my 9 year old boy, I do full lenth of football pitch he Times me then he does half pitch and I time him) swimming wise do the same get her up to swimming double distance so she will be confident come race time (50 meters do 100 meters)

I know this might eat into your training time but will be worth it image

Or just tell her no and she will stop crying after a week or two image

I'm not serious about the last one lol defiantly look to see what races out there first.
  • Jevans........adidas base layers at Sports Direct £18.99.long sleeves, £14.99. short sleeves, check em outimage

• When I signed up, I noticed that the Crystal Palace Tri has kids' races.

Maybe minichilli wouldn't need that much training other than swimming, if she's already a good runner? The cycle and run legs are very short.

I guess it partially depends if you think she's likely to get upset if she struggles with it, as well as on the swimming practicalities.

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Chili - learn away! I know I have! Last time I changed a tube/fixed a puncture it took about 2 hours, so I definitely have some practising to do.

ST - Oh dear. With Tigers making it through, it sounds like you may end up risking further important training sessions! image Hope you managed to get your brick in elsewhere.

Still poorly today so am off work feeling sorry for myself. Euurrgghh....

• Had first physio session - ouch it hurt, but has done some good, bit more flexing in the wrist, loads of exercises to do.

Cycled 1:15 on bike, listened to David Bowie greatest hits, not bad but will go back to Queen or U2 for my faster session.

• Decent kit from Start Fitness online too - check out the More Mile stuff - Tri tops, shorts and suits, all good price and decent quality too. I'm not on comission by the way! image

Did the Chernobyl 10k yesterday in Preston - full of a cold, felt crappy (get my excuses in early) but still managed 44mins - quite happy with that. Stiff today, although icy bath when I got home helped a lot.

Planning next race now - aiming for a 10K in Feb, then a Half marathon in March. Sprint TRi in March too, probably Ribby Hall in Lancs. Was planning to do Blackpool marathon too - heard its been cancelled???

• Hi

Thanks ST. I guess it is doable- as I mentioned it is getting my head round it that is the difficult bit. As I am typing this I can hear her in the bath singing and talking to herself and practising going under water for when she does her triathlon! image LOL. My 3yr old Smidge has just gone in and announced that the bath doesn't look like a swimming pool and so she can't be swimming. LOL Oh this is so funny...

I shall see if I can find to local kids races.

Steady - hope your wrist heals up fast.

Another terrible night with a feverish Smidge. Am so tired I could cry but didn't want to miss another day of training so have just done 10miles of hills on the bike. First ride in the dark. I have lights and high vis vest but still found it scary.

• Gingergav .................which half marathon are you doing and which Sprint is that in March?

44min for 10k when your feeling crap.... not bad in my books mate, well doneimage.

• Gingergav - 44 min for 10k is only in my dreams, i'm more like one hour, so well done, recover well.
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Gingergav - more praise.... 45 mins for a 10k is about 3 years away for me (2 if I am feeling optimistic!). Rock on!

Chili - Hope you managed some sleep last night. Whilst I don't have kids, I know sleep deprivation can really get you down, especially when trying to train. Our next door neighbour kept us awake for around 18 months before the council served a notice to her to keep quiet, but by that point I was having panic attacks and hot and cold flushes in the night. Not fun, especially since she seems to be starting to make a regular habit of it again lately...

I think I'm in recovery today, so hope to make it to my circuits class tonight. I made sure to keep well hydrated yesterday, so I wonder if that has helped. Or maybe it was the cafetiere of coffee I treated myself to... ;o) Either way, I'm hoping feeling human is within my grasp and I'll get some running miles in this week.

Ooo - interesting point for thoughts... I'm taking the approach of trying to do all disciplines every week, but with a particular focus on one of them. So last week was Bike Week, this week is Run Week, next week will be Swim Week... with the aim being to do just a bit more that usual, or do a key session (e.g. really long swim, or focussed long run, or maybe just an additional run session). What do people think of that? It's just to try and make it managable in my schedule as I build up endurance in all sports. And it means I have weekly goals that I can work on over a three week period. What do others do?
  • You're all so nice to me! I'm filling up! image

I have had my comeuppance though - paying for running with a cold - the cold weather on Sunday has shifted my cold onto my chest. Feels like i'm being sat on. No training for me tonight.

The Sprint i'm looking at is at Ribby Hall, Wrea Green, nr Kirkham, Lancs in March - date yet to be set, but its run by Tim Armit in association with Fylde Tri Club. He runs 3 events a year - Ribby Hall in March, St Annes Tri in April, then Fleetwood Tri in September. He is calling them Fylde Tri-logy, I think. All sprints with pool swims.

The Gt North West half marathon in Blackpool is a good one, on Sun 27th FEb. I'm fancying that one but only coming back from holiday the day before, so might go for the St Annes Twin Pier half on 13th March. There is also the St Annes Ultrafit Fire Station 10  miler on 20th March. I'll definitely do one of these! Blackpool half has good PB potential - very flat but often windy.

JEvaNs - you are very organised! My weekly goal is often "do something", which usually equates in a perfect week to a club run on Tuesday nights (6-8km), swiss ball work on a wednesday at home (even 10mins kills me), run on own on a thursday (6-8km again), swim friday (pool, up to 1.5km if feeling tip top), club bike ride saturday morning (50-80km), run sunday afternoon (5-8km), rest monday. More usually it ends up as 2 runs only, short swim or no swim (oops), and bike ride if its dry (turbo for an hour if not). Very rare that each week goes to plan! 

• Hi Gingergav,

I find it very hard to be organised to, I find the more I plan the less I do. Although going through a bad patch at the minute, since being ill over Dec/early Jan I've lost my get up and goimage I just can't shake this last bit of virus just feel knackered all the time plus still got lots of mucus which isn't good.

Still gonna go and put my gear on now and just try and do 5k off road, will let you all know how I get on.

I to have a half booked for march 5th but at the mo can't run up the road lol like I said earlier going to buy new trainers Friday hoping that will pick me up image

Chilli I need some lights for bike that might give me a chance to get out on it. I hate this time of year wet,cold,dark early and miserable image or that might be just me imageimage
  • Go for it, Silver Trucker - you always feel better for getting out there, even if it's hard work. I often find the thought of going out when its cold and damp is worse than the reality! Picture the faces of people seeing you going past thinking "blimey, he's committed, running today"!image
  • Done it Gingergav 6.7k off road/on road hilly wet cold muddy run. It was certainly worth it, I could even say enjoyed it (apart from the gagging on flem several times image ) shower now dinner relax then bed lol early start again up at 3am nice drive down to London image
  • By the way I'm with start fitness have some great stuff that's affordable there brand is more miles image
  • Www.startfitness.co.uk
  • evening all.. no training here since the weekend.. got a thing called labryinitis so bed bound for the moment.. very pi55ed off about it !! good training over last weekend though.. hjopefully i will be better soon and can kick off again
  • Bootsie image

At least you got a good weekend in first image I'm sure your be back on your feet soon image
  • bootsie image take care and remember to take it slowl and steady on your return.
  • Bootsie - Sorry to hear that you are bed-bound - hope you're feeling better soon.

Gingergav - i think I was typing last night when you filed your post so missed it. Congratulations on a great run.

Jevans - that sounds very impressive. Am very interested to hear how you feel it helps. I looked up some different training programmes and found many of them too complicated to even finish reading through! Then I found one that suggested running 3 times and week, cycling 3 times a week and swimming 2 times a week. Make at least one day a brick session. Have one day off. I can cope with that simplicity so that's what I'm doing - roughly.

The good news is that Smidge slept last night and so did I. Just as good is the fact that I didn't wake up sore this week from my 10miles hilly bike ride. image

Today being Tuesday meant a swim at lunchtime (46 lengths) and a 4 mile run this evening because I still can't quite fit in 5 miles before taking daughter No.2 to Brownies. Because I have introduced bike training over the past few weeks I have dropped my overall running mileage just slightly. However, the cross training is deffinitely making me stronger. My time for the hilly 4 miles has gone down from 42:35 to 38:40. image

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Ooo, Bootsie - hope you start feeling better soon. I'm back in work today but still feel a bit giddy. Not sure going to the gym would be a good idea, but really want to get back into a normal routine! SteadyCj... Wondering if I should take the advice you have given to Bootsie....

I'm supposed to be going to Zumba tomorrow... Has anyone tried it? I'm not approaching it as a fitness thing as I know I will find it hugely frustrating and unstructured (apparently as many as 75 people gather in a massive gym hall to do it!). But my friend is adamant that I will love it. Hmm...

On my three week rotating training, I think I am generally doing 2-3 sessions on the bike (which may include spinning if that is more accomodatable!), 2-3 runs a week and 2 swim sessions, but I shift my focus each week to make sure I am increasing my endurance in all three. It just gives me confidence that I am improving in all three things and not just drifting, which I think I could do otherwise. E.g. I might have 4-6 weeks where my training has had to accomodate other things and potentially my running may not go over 10 miles a week and my longest run isn't more than 5 miles and that worries me as I know I need to increase my running mileage. So at least with a weekly focus, even if everything else goes out the window I know I have done my 8 miles running or 20 miles on the bike or very long swim each week.

So, even though this is my fourth day when I probably won't be able to exercise, I know that I need to run, if nothing else, on any of the other days I am able to train. I think it's probably just psychological!!

• I quite like the idea of your three week rotation, or a variation thereon, JEvans.

I kind of suspect that I'm not going to manage multiple sessions of all three disciplines every week. Especially the swimming - not that I find the swim especially hard, but the timing of lane sessions and the getting to and fro put more constraints on it. Maybe if I make one week in three a swim focus week it'd help.

• lol its easy to dish out advice.. much harder to follow it.. doing better today.. managed a short trip in the car.. and been awake all day so far!

going to do a bit of piltaes today because my back is really suffering from being in bed and sitting all day.. didn't sleep much at all last night iwth th epain.. can't wait to get back to training!!! not rushing it because its only 3 1/2 weeks to brighton half marathon.. tihnk i have enough trianing in the bank for it so just need to get to it fit and healthy now!

• Bootsie - glad to hear you're on the mend and being rational. Better to go into a race undertrained than overtrained.

My training plan goes in a 4 week rotation, with the 4th week easing off a bit to recover for the next 4 which are slightly harder and so on.

Today being week 2 on plan a 35 min run, reality 35 mins on treadie which consisted of run 4 mins walk 1 min, with 5 mins w/u and c/d on bike. Managed to keep the speed consistent at 5mph for the run sections.

JEvans- have heard Zumba is good but as it is dance based and i have 2 left feet, would make a good comedy if i gave it a go, thats why i do running.

• JEvans, you're on the right lines with your 3-week rotations, but work also on periodization - build for 3 weeks then drop back and do less on week 4, then start your next cycle of building at a bit higher level than before. If you want more information on this type of training, search on  macro, micro and mini-cycles.

• Hi everyone, first post, thought this was as good a place as any to swing in...

I'm looking forward to my first tri in May. It's a wee sprint effort. Feeling ok about the swim, I did a bit of swimming in my yoof and it seems to have come back to me. The bike should be ok, although as a mountain biker my first go on a road bike the other week was 'interesting' (no suspension image ). My running, however, is rubbish. I'm really slow and once I get to 3/4 miles that's me done. I'd like to start going a bit further so that's what I'm working on at the moment.

I'm thinking I should build up a base first before trying to go faster. Is that the case, or should I be looking at speed too?
  • Sounds like you are on the right track there JEvans! image

I have kind of been to a Zumba class. I was actually supposed to be helping lead an NCT session in the next room but it was boring so I sneaked into the back of the Zumba class. To me it felt like areobics to thumpy dance music. And yes there were 75 other ladies all in a big hall. Although it was billed as 'dance' based it didn't seem particularly dancey and wasn't hard enough to break in to a sweat. Whilst it might exercise different muscles it wasn't enough to increase my heart rate too much.

Bootsie - still sounds rough but good to hear you are feeling a bit better.

Just run 5 miles. Having a bought my first pack of jelly babies two weeks ago I thought I'd try them out and stuck 3 in my pocket. The first one I ate running up hill and it stuck in my teeth and I couldn't breathe properly and nearly gagged. The second one I ate running along the flat and decided it was better if I forgot my manners and chewed with my mouth open (surprisingly difficult to do!) The third was coming down hill and I was getting the hang of them by then. lol

Tomorrow I'm planning a long bike ride . Okay, long for me - 20 miles on the flat - but not goign too far from home cos I still haven't learnt how to change a tire. Am going try a mars bar, which being a chocoholic sounds much more appealing image