Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Oooo, I have a new found motivation!!! I was trying to get some people at work to do a Sprint Tri, but it has filled up already, so we are going to do our own version - a little bit more laid back - and I'm very excited! I'm in charge of routing, so will have some research to do on routes and distance. It's not until the end of April, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Chris - I think you deserve a day off!!!

• Finding more folk doing the Ribby Hall Sprint Tri - ploddinglady has started another thread on it! Anyone else entered?

Bring on the Pink and Blue gear!image

• Gym sess, partial success, swim, no goggles = epic fail! So i will therefore unleash hell when i teach my spin class tonight...hope the members are up for it!
  • ST - so you are going to be the first one of us to do a tri!

Yes Chilli I know image no pressure then lol I'm hoping for around 1hr30 Mark but really have no idea what time I can do. At least it will be a PB imageimage Monday and Tuesdays are now my rest days due to my 1am get up time, I get a nice sleep in till 3am Wednesday Thursday and Friday so will be ok to train then image I'm gonna do my park run on my own on Sat so can see what my 5k time is then. My son has county cup finals on Sunday for his Rugby so don't want to wear him out Sat ( he has footy training Friday night Tennis Sat Rugby Sun judo Mon football training Tuesday and football game Wednesday so think I can give him Sat morning 5k off lol) so I will have no excuse for running slow image
  • Jevans - Wow! That is fantastic! Good for you. What a project.

ST - I have no doubt that you will be flying round and setting an excellent president for us all to follow.

Steve - oops! Hope you people survived the class.

Steady - I have so much respect for you doing an indoor session like that. 

Today was 50 lengths swim. I think the other swimmers that normally go on a Tuesday afternoon have given up in disgust at the pool management, so it was pretty quiet and I was able to get my session in over lunchtime.

Tomorrow is a bit of bike ride, and a 5mile ish run but unlikely to be a brick session.

• Hi Gang.

Well done everyone some great training going on image

Gav............I wll try and register on the saturday if I can and we can have a natter, if not will see you on the sunday morning image

Steady................Mind you dont fall off the bike with your new shoes & cleats image

Chilli.................Great swim and an empty pool.image

ST .............My first Tri is the week after yours, how you feeling about it?image

Steve ..........Go easy on emimage

Jevans,,,,,,,,,Which HIM you doing?

7.5 mile run for me today, feel completley knackeredimage

• 7.5 mi club run tonight. Nice and easy.
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Little swim for me today but right shoulder was aching so didn't do too much. Hope to get on bike Friday if I get round to putting pedals on, might get Mr Steady to do it so he feels wanted..

Think I may have over done use of right wrist and caused shoulder to ache, hope Physio doesnot give me grief when I see her next week, will have to take things easy for a day or so.

• Be careful there CJ.

Hi everyone, you've all been very busy. Hurrah for re-found mojos and upcoming eventsimage.

Did a couple of decent length runs on Sunday and Monday. Monday's was particularly nice as it was lovely and sunny, and I was offroad but on sandy soil so that the tracks were not too hard, but were well packed and well-drained, and there was quite a lot of bird and insect life around.

Then today I cycled to the 50m pool and did about 1500m in total, including 800m freestyle in one stretch, just to reassure myself I could handle the distance in the longer pool. Went for comfort, not speed, and felt very relaxed. Now I know that the distance is okay in that pool, I should try to structure my sessions there a bit more. I still want to do some of my sessions in the 25m pool, which is a bit more convenient for me.

• Just so I can get an idea of how you are all doing with your swimming - could you please specify the length of the pool you are swimming in instead of just saying 20 lengths etc. There's a big difference between swimming 20 lengths in a 33 yard pool to doing 20 in a 50-meter! 1500m in a 50-metre pool is only 30 lengths - if you're swimming in a short pool it's a whole lot more!

• I find swimming in a 50m pool less mentally tiring for exactly that reason. I think it may be a little more physically tiring, and I might be a tad slower, but the lower number of lengths somehow works better for me.

I think that the majority of public pools in the UK are 25m, so unless people specify differently, that's what I assume they're swimming in.

• Razor I'm feeling ok but it's my first so got nothing to lose so to speak lol
    Just going with the attitude to enjoy and finish as quick as poss but mainly to enjoy image my next one will be worse cause I will have a time to beat and my training will be harder so I can achieve it image I know it won't be to fast cause only had bike since Christmas and with the weather not been out to much. Next year will invest in Turbo for at home image
  • Had  a full house for spin...really good group of people , they loved the intensity! 

FYI, i swim in 20 and 25m pools, much prefer the 25m pool, being 6ft 1 i only just get going in 20m pools!!

• I use 25m pools too, and am struggling at the moment to get pool time in to be honest - i'm less well prepared for this year's Tris than last years when it comes to the swim. Bike and run are better though hopefully so will just try to survive the swim at Ribby Hall then blast the bike and run.

Razor - will see you there either Sat PM or Sunday morning - i'm in the pool at 8.00 so won't be registering Sunday morning, but am registering saturday afternoon. I'll be the only ginge in Fylde Tri Club pink & blue gear!

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Hey everyone!

In my 25m pool I did 140 lengths this morning!!!! Sets of 250m with 1min rest mostly, but with 400m warm up and cool down (plus an extra 200m towards the end to make a nice round 3.5k).

Then I did circuits. Then I cycled home. Feeling tip top!.....

Though swimming for that amount of time (about 1hr40) was mentally challenging. In so far as when it gets physically difficult, my mind struggles to motivate me! I try to keep my mind on my form to help be more efficient in the water, but my breathing becomes really random and I think my arms flail quite a bit.

I need to try sessions in the 50m pool and hoping that has the Yersinia effect.

Not sure if any of the swimmer professionals have a view on it, but my final 400m was 20 seconds slower than my warm up 400m, and my 250m time went from 5:23 to 5:37 To be expected I guess. Not sure what kind of commentary I'd expect!!!

Eurgh. Just thinking of it makes my head glug a bit (though now i think about it, I didn't have any water in my ears afterwards...!??!!!!). Can't beleive I have signed up to 5k.

Where's bootsie?

• Went out on bike did 16k but pushed it quite hard quite hilly near me, then planned to do a 3k run. I set of on my run and got 200 meters down the road and both my calfs cramped up image so stopped to stretch them off. I started off again but it didn't feel right so cut run down to 1.6k. It's the first time I've ever cramped after bike to run image has anyone else had that?

I swim in 25 meter pool image
  • Gav quick question as your the experienced one on here image I've been told I only need my Tri suit for my event on 27th March. Now I was thinking of a jacket for on my bike cause it's still freezing what would you recommend?
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah. Cramp. Not from bike to run, but in the pool. Arg!!
  • Well done JEvaNs! Excellent time too. You are well on the way to your 5km swim. You will likely find swimming in a 50m pool very much better than a 25m, our training pool is 50m and I find it mind-numbing to train for IM or longer swims in a short pool. My OH has just returned from a temporary work spell in Kuwait and has been training for a 12km swim race in a hotel 20m pool! He is very glad to be back swimming in 50m.

A slower last interval isn't unexpected, you probably tired a bit  towards the end of your session.

• That sounds like a mega-sesh, Jevans!

One thing I'd say in a 50m pool, to anyone thinking of changing up from a 25m, is to be sure to start slowly the first time. It can feel like ever such a long way if you've got into the habit of grabbing a crafty extra breath at the end of each length. Once you're used to it and have adjusted your rhythm, then it'll be fine.

Training for 12k in a 20m pool. Ouch! I would find that really unpleasant, I think. I've never actually swum in anything less than 25m.

• Blimey, jevans - mega swim! Sub 6 mins 400m - in my dreams!!image

Hi ST - i reckon a jacket/outer layer is a good plan. You'll be v warm after the swim, so nothing too thick or flappy - maybe a bike top? You can put a gel or 2 in the back pockets then for the ride.. What i'll be doing at Ribby Hall sprint is swim in my tri shorts (only because i get really hot in a trisuit in the pool - just me), then in T1 quick rub down with towel, stand on towel then while putting on tri top with bike top over the top. If day is warm or sun is out might leave tri top off. Will have 2 gels to stuff into pockets for on the ride - if its an over your head top, don't put them in the pockets ready as when you grab it to pull it over your head, you'll see them fly off across transition!!  Been there!! Then number belt on, helmet on, sunnies on, towel on the floor means no frozen feet while doing this, then bike shoes on last (so your breathing has most chance to recover before you bend over doing up your shoes) and out. Water bottle on bike already, settle into ride then have a gel, have another gel on approach to T2 ready for the run.

I had this advice from ironman mate and it works for me!image Hope it helps!

By the way, ST, your cramp after 300m of the run isn't uncommon I reckon - I always feel like i'm running really slowly immediately after T2, so think I need to run faster and my legs scream with lactate as a result! Try a gel and good drink on the bike, and 10 seconds of leg stretches when you are putting your running shoes on won't hurt your time really..., especially doing your hamstrings. At least you now know it might happen so can look out for it if it happens again - good luck!!!

• Sound advice that Gav, it's answered some of my questions as well image

1k swim for me today in 25mt pool. still feeling out of breath after 200mt  but keep pressing on image

Jevans ..........I think your a fishimage

ST...........Like you said ,we've got nothing to lose, it's the next one that the pressure is on image

• Wow Jevans! I think you're my hero for the week. What a swim.

Sounds like we are all getting on well. image 

Gav - that all makes very good sense. Helps to be able to think it through clearly as well as practise it. although I only did a duathlon I had practised my transitions. Then when I got there and set up the bike I mimed the actions and spoke out loud the order I was going to do it. That helped to get it all straight in my head.

Well, very late cos we had guests for dinner. But I've done a bit of cycling and 5 mile run today. Am on target for a 20 mile week. I love running best and am hoping to get my milage up a bit.

• I would just add to not take in anything except water for the first 15 or 20 mins on the bike, your system needs time to adjust to moving from horizontal to vertical.
  • Hey all,

I am back and back online too!

I got back very late on Sunday from Liverpool airport. What a holiday. I highly recommend to all of you that are considering a triathlete specific holiday to venture to Fuerteventura- LAs playitas resort. There is a constant buzz of activity whether it was people setting off on bikes, or heading to the open 50m olympic pool, which I did get into! I managed around 600m of kick one day and 300m just left arm, so that was hard work. We were upgraded to half borad for free and the food was brilliant, lots of hungry triathlete's after a day's hard work.

plenty of cycling an running routes, though I did run around the complex as there was a 1.4km route mapped out for you, and we took advantage of this by having a brick session (Run, bike, run, bike etc) however many times you fancied it. I teamed up with w guy who was avoidin running, and we managed to come a very respectable high place, considering the first time I was running as well, I managed 3x 1.4km all under 7 mins per lap! Very pleased with myself after no running efforts for 2 months, celarly the body and legs felt rested enough.

I felt able to continue running short distances and managed around 13 laps of the loop in total for the week!

The gym and classes were all free to use and take part in, the stretch and relax class was fairly popular for those having a slightly more restful day, and also due to the fact it was taken by a fit Swedish blonde girl most days too! (Lots of male interest there).

Plenty of eye candy for both sides image

I really enjoyed it as there was around 7 of my group who didn't take bikes. So I managed a couple of swims, around 15km of running (WOOOOO) and 3 gym sessions and stretch classes. SO Bloomin pleased with myself.

Saw the physio yesterday, and although splint is still on, they have finally given me exercises to do! And I can take it off for short intervals. I am fancying a run later, very very short one mind! 2.5 miles

PS Well done to everyone who has been training vvvv hard!

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Kerry - that sounds fantastic! I have been wondering about those holidays. They seem quite expensive, but it sounds like you get lots of opportunities and support so maybe I'll save up. I'd like to find a buddy to go with though - were there lots of individuals over there, or were people going as part of a club?

Thanks for all the nice comments on my swim. I'm sure Bootsie would trump me, but seems to have gone AWOL....

GG - the sub 6-mins was in relation to my 250m time. 400m are around 8:25 at the mo.

UIW - Interesting point on the movement from horizontal to vertical!!! I have to say, having done all that swimming, I went into my circuits class feeling a bit bemused at things. I had a banana and an isotonic drink before circuits and made sure to take it a bit easier on myself. Didn't feel grotty on the digestion side of things, just a bit weird from swimming for so long.

Can't wait to try a 50m pool now though (thanks for the advice Yersinia!). Am going to go on Sunday. But for now... 6 mile run in the park and on trails in the sunshine. Yay for Spring!!!

• JEvans- We went as a group and I paid £150 for the weeks accommodation, and £150 for flight with bike carriage. There were many individuals there, and then the food was £150 half board for the week.

Seems expensive but very productive to get some warm weather training in at this time of the year, cycling everyday in the warm in March! 20 degrees everyday. I am considering another training camp later in the year around November time.

the 50m pool swimming can be very daunting, quite a few of our swimmers only managed half a session in the 50m pool.

• I managed a mini-tri this lunchtime. Nothing like Jevans' effort - just cycled to the 25m pool for a half-hour session doing some drills with floats and paddles, cycled back home and had a 2km jog.

I have circuits tonight, so did everything at very moderate intensity so I'd have some reserves for that.

• Cheers Gav thanks for the advice I will try that out from my garage at weekend, have a down stairs shower so will take a quick shower in gear then do my T1 from garage and T2 when I get back image

Razor I struggle with all three discipline's only had bike for Christmas used it bout 7 times started swimming 6 weeks ago and I'm 6ft1 and 16stone so not built for running either lol but you have to start somewhere imageimageimage

Kerry your training holiday sounds great, more details please have you got web site that you went with? Was it easy taking your bike?
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Yersinia - you make it sound like I conquered Everest!! image

6 miles just done and dusted. Seemed more difficult that usual, though I think it was psychological again. I took a route that I don't normally do, which seemed like one very very long path, compared to the usual 'sections' that I am used to. Nice route, but felt much harder than it needed to be. That said, given how achey I have been, it was much easier than i thought it would be. Hmm - swings and roundabouts!

SO warm in the sunshine though! Who needs fueturventura! image